Olevia 37" LCD HDTV - 237T -> Noob Questions

JustBlaze

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
targetad.jpg

Heard way too many good things about this tv to let it slide at such a low price. This will be my 1st HDTV, so obviously I have a few noob questions.

1. I know this TV is good for a Xbox 360, but what additional cables will I need? What is the HDMI Cable? Do I need it?

2. Will I need anything additional with the TV? A tuner (whatever the hell it is)? Anything else..?

3. I have a surround system already that I use on my regular tv for my xbox 360, it's a great system, but it's a cheap version, I want to know if this system will work with this TV? Surround Sound -> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4810671
Will I need anything else to connect the system to the tv? or should it work?

I know the surround sound system is weak, but it's a great system and it's more than I need, it's loud as hell, sorrounds my room when I play my 360, so don't suggest a new system unless it will not work with the tv..?

Thanks

Im pretty sure I'll be picking this TV up too and I think I can answer your questions.

1. You don't need a HDMI cable, depending on how new your xbox is it might not even have an HDMI port. You can just hook it up with the component cables that came with your xbox (the red blue and green ones) and then flip the switch on the side of the cable closest to the xbox to the hdtv setting.

2. The tv has a built in NTSC/ATSC tuner so you should just be able to plug in your cable hookup and be ready to go.

3. The tv has audio outputs so I would imagine you would be able to hook it up just like your old tv was setup.

Hope that helps man. I'm not an expert by any means though so if someone wants to correct me feel free.

wasnt the 2 series the one with the ATI ghosting issues? Also, that picture looks an awful lot like my 537h... is that the one they have and the model number is just wrong? The 537h is the only one ive ever seen at target.

Nah, not a mistake. The 237 and 537 are really similar but they are two different sets. I checked it out at Target last night and confirmed that the model number was 237T and it looked great. I haven't seen anything about ghosting issues, I've read through all the threads on the AVS forums and everyone seems to be really impressed with it.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']wasnt the 2 series the one with the ATI ghosting issues? Also, that picture looks an awful lot like my 537h... is that the one they have and the model number is just wrong? The 537h is the only one ive ever seen at target.[/quote]

The 537H doesn't have a Tuner, this one does.

I am also going for this T.V. I plan on going on the line at 4 A.M.

As the other poster has said, you will just need to switch your 360's A/V switch to HDTV, and then go to options within the 360 interface and tell it to display in 720p or 1080i. I can't wait till I get this, I finally can move away from my monitor!

[quote name='johnnykiss']Nah, not a mistake. The 237 and 537 are really similar but they are two different sets. I checked it out at Target last night and confirmed that the model number was 237T and it looked great. I haven't seen anything about ghosting issues, I've read through all the threads on the AVS forums and everyone seems to be really impressed with it.[/quote]

Yea, all over the AVS thread (its about 700 posts long) it has gotten a load of praise, except for its weak speakers and slightly slow menu loading. For $550, it seems like a hell of a deal!

[quote name='Con']does this tv have vga inputs?[/quote]

Yes, it has one VGA input. It also has 2 HDMI slots (however some of the version 1 models only have 1 HDMI slot).

[quote name='help1']The 537H doesn't have a Tuner, this one does.

I am also going for this T.V. I plan on going on the line at 4 A.M.

As the other poster has said, you will just need to switch your 360's A/V switch to HDTV, and then go to options within the 360 interface and tell it to display in 720p or 1080i. I can't wait till I get this, I finally can move away from my monitor![/QUOTE]

... the 537h has a tuner, im using it right now watching perfectly free hd.

Yeah, the 537h definitely has a tuner. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference at all between the two models. Someone on AVS emailed olevia about it and got this as a response.

"537H is similar to the 237T only difference is menu. 237T has the basic menu where the 537H allows you to change a full setting. (mostly used for gamers) Warranty on the 237T and 537T are the same with on-site depending on the problem where the 237V only has exchanging."

I had an oleiva 32" and hated it. The design sucks, the menus are HORRIBLE, and the HDMI didn't work! Imagine if I hadn't bought an elite 360 when I did... the warranty would have run out without me knowing about this problem and I would have found myself with an HDTV with extremely gimped HD features.

I brought it back to Target and they carted it off to be thrown away.
I also seem to remember reading a forum where a lot of people were having HDMI problems with Oleiva TVs.

Went to Circuit City and got a beautiful Vizio and have been happy with it ever since.

Have no problem with my Olevia. It's not the one pictured but it does have similar specs, including HDMI (that works). I actually use the VGA cables on the 360 to run the native resolution of the LCD and use the HDMI for my HD Dishtv box. Looks great, no ghosting. Of course, I'm only speaking of my experience with Olevia and, like I said, it's not the same model.

No, it was actually there earlier. I added it to my cart and got all the way to the checkout. I'm sure it's just out of stock because a million people jumped on it when they saw it.

I don't know much about this olevia but I would be inclined to go with the 32" vizio @costco and get 2 years of warranty. From what I have seen I think the vizio's have a better pic. What's your budget and min. size requirement? Let me know and I can let you know of any other comparable deals. I just got my first lcd and spent 6 months looking and researching before finally pulling the trigger. Bought the sharp 42" 42d64u for 1199 at circuit city.

[quote name='l rumble l']wow, i wish i would have seen this earlier. But then again i really want the sharp at cc for 799.[/quote] I can assure you that if you want that sharp at CC you wont have a problem. My store got in like 20 of thoes 42 inch fuckers and 33 of the zenith 50 inch plasmas. The only reason i know is because I had to unload thoes off the truck.

I got this TV last night! After confirming with about 5 employees (including my sister who got me a 20% discount on the TV) and they all said they will do the price adjustment on friday! It's 10:10 pm right now, I called a few buddies over and got our halo 3/gears of war games on since 12 pm ;) I could see it in their eyes, and i could see the drool dripping from their mouth that they liked the tv. It' was fucking awesome. Best $$ I have spent in a long time on something well worth it.

Although my question remains unanswered..

I set up my 360 with my surround sound + tv but i had to use the colored wires with component, but when i tried the HDMI the graphics were a million times better but i couldnt get the surround sound to work..

Overall, I want to setup my surround sound in the OP, to the tv, is it possible? someone help me with step by step instructions please?

basically, HDMI doesnt transmit true 5.1, you need that audio dongle that comes with the elite so you can use hdmi for video and an optical out for your sound

EDIT: i dont think your surround sound has an optical in...thats really weird..if you use just red and white connectors you arnt getting 5.1 sound

[quote name='JustBlaze']I got this TV last night! After confirming with about 5 employees (including my sister who got me a 20% discount on the TV) and they all said they will do the price adjustment on friday! It's 10:10 pm right now, I called a few buddies over and got our halo 3/gears of war games on since 12 pm ;) I could see it in their eyes, and i could see the drool dripping from their mouth that they liked the tv. It' was fucking awesome. Best $$ I have spent in a long time on something well worth it.

Although my question remains unanswered..

I set up my 360 with my surround sound + tv but i had to use the colored wires with component, but when i tried the HDMI the graphics were a million times better but i couldnt get the surround sound to work..

Overall, I want to setup my surround sound in the OP, to the tv, is it possible? someone help me with step by step instructions please?[/quote]
Nice to hear! I ordered mine online for a 10% discount. I was debating whether or not to do that price match thing, but the manager at my Target gave me a big fat no. Glad you got confirmation though!

Also, what was your previous setup for your 360?

My previous setup was on a 27" SDTV.. I had the 360 connected with the colored wires. You know how the colored wires have like 2 different outputs, (1 audio, and on e component) i hooked up the audio (red/white) with the surround sound and the component wires on the back of the tv, worked great.

I COULD get the surround sound to work but then it wouldnt be on hdmi, which makes a huge difference in graphics..

hope u understood that^ lol..

btw the surround sound has 2 red/white inputs...

ONE MORE THING.. the TV has input on the back, it says "SUBWOOFER" and has a red/white and a black hole.. i tried connecting the red/white from subwoofer to the tv, but nothing happened, am i supposed to change the settings? and what is the black hole under the wubwoofer for?

:warning your head might start hurting if you read that^ well mine did, so if you have any other questions, let me know.. thanks:

bread's done
Back