OMFG! I just broke my DS...

Sk8erlink7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I was playing my DS in my kitchen today, and I suddenly lost my grip and I dropped it onto the hard tile. Keep in mind that I'm not a short person, so the DS fell quite a distance to the floor. Anyway, I pick it up, and see that the top screen is cracked in the middle and there's a huge blotch on the screen (it covers more than half of the screen). The system works just fine, except you can't see anything on that top screen. The ironic thing is, I just bought a case for my DS yesterday so that I wouldn't break it when I go on trips. :cry:

Please, can somebody tell me what to do? Will Nintendo fix my DS, or will I have to buy a new one? If Nintendo will fix it for me, will they need any proof of purchase? I'm asking this because I bought it from my friend, and not from a store.

EDIT: Well, I just got off the phone with Nintendo and my DS is past its warranty period. It's going to cost me $82.50 to get it repaired, or I can buy a remanufactured DS for $75 (including tax and shipping) from them. I bought my DS for $60, so I guess paying $75 isn't too bad. It just completely ruins the sweet deal I got on it. :cry: Any thoughts?

My thoughts?

Man--I feel for you!!! I would be so down if I broke my DS.....

BUT, on the bright side, $75 for a remanufactured DS seems very, very reasonable! In the end you will not have the sweet deal, but you will also not be paying much more than normal retail....so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Pluas, since the bottom screen works, maybe you could give it the old one to a kid or person you know who doesn't have a gameboy advance.....

Still...sorry man!

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']So I was playing my DS in my kitchen today, and I suddenly lost my grip and I dropped it onto the hard tile. Keep in mind that I'm not a short person, so the DS fell quite a distance to the floor. Anyway, I pick it up, and see that the top screen is cracked in the middle and there's a huge blotch on the screen (it covers more than half of the screen). The system works just fine, except you can't see anything on that top screen. The ironic thing is, I just bought a case for my DS yesterday so that I wouldn't break it when I go on trips. :cry:

Please, can somebody tell me what to do? Will Nintendo fix my DS, or will I have to buy a new one? If Nintendo will fix it for me, will they need any proof of purchase? I'm asking this because I bought it from my friend, and not from a store.

EDIT: Well, I just got off the phone with Nintendo and my DS is past its warranty period. It's going to cost me $82.50 to get it repaired, or I can buy a remanufactured DS for $75 (including tax and shipping) from them. I bought my DS for $60, so I guess paying $75 isn't too bad. It just completely ruins the sweet deal I got on it. :cry: Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rabbitt']Just pretend it's the blooper's ink from Mario Kart DS, and everything will be fine :).[/QUOTE]lol. at worst, you have yourself a fat SP. You can still play a lot of games quite effectively though, especially if it's not your first time through.

Man that sucks I have learned when dropping stuff use your foot to break the fall. When it hits you foot it simply slides off and instead of dead dropping on the ground, it slides across and as it slides it disperses the energy from the fall thus causing less damage.

I'm a little surprised someone would pay more then $50 for a broken DS. Maybe the top screen can be fixed or replaced by yourself?

If you're just gonna get another one why don't you see if you can fix your's first. Here's a post about taking apart the case in this other forum I'm currently reading. I think you can get those tri-wing screwdrivers from Radioshack.

[quote name='someguy']Okidokey. I'm doing this from memory and because I don't have any tools immediately handy.

Firstly, the DS doesn't have normal screws - it's similar to Philips screws, except instead of four grooves, it only has 3. You can use a Philips screwdriver to take 'em out, but don't expect the screws to be reusable. There's a tri-wing screwdriver somewhere on Nintendo's store, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me.

Secondly, I took apart my DS with the intention of destroying the original case, so I haven't exactly figured out a way to do this harmlessly (ie, reusing all of the original bits and pieces). I'm also sure my method isn't perfect.

The top of the DS has 4 screws: each is under the cushion thing. I was doing a shell swap, so I completely obliterated the cushions; I didn't need them anymore. Anyway, once the screws are out, you should be able to pry open the top half. Inside, there are 2 (almost bare, lol) circuit boards (for the speakers), the speakers themselves, the top screen, and wiring. The circuit boards are screwed in.

The base of the DS has six screws (there's a screw under the battery and in the GBA slot). Once the base is off, you're free to remove the L/R buttons (don't lose the springs that are attached to 'em). Disconnect all of the ribbons, and there's a thin wire (for the speakers) and another ribbon (for the top screen) that go up through the hinges. You should be able to disconnect both of those from the base. The touch screen isn't attached to the circuit board in the base (except by wiring/ribbons), so don't fling it around (heh). The buttons and their covers are small, so you should probably stick them in a plastic bag to keep them together. There's also a tiny piece of plastic for the orange/green lights. Also, the volume slider does not come off of the circuit board.

Alright. The hinges are the toughest part. I couldn't really figure out how to remove them, so I cut the screen-side of the top half to remove them and transfer them to the new shell. Upon further inspection, however, I think it's possible to slide them out if they are in the 'closed' position.[/quote]

[quote name='Graystone']Man that sucks I have learned when dropping stuff use your foot to break the fall. When it hits you foot it simply slides off and instead of dead dropping on the ground, it slides across and as it slides it disperses the energy from the fall thus causing less damage.[/QUOTE]

just make sure you arent dropping anything heavy enough to break your foot;)

I would love to hear how the top screen is connected, electronically, to the bottom half. Look at the hinges and you'll see what I mean. WTF???? It's like a magic trick.

I've gotta say, its awful nice of Nintendo to sell you a DS for $75. Nintendo has always had great customer support.

When my GBASP broke, they offered the same thing but cheaper ($55 canadian I believe), but I just decided to buy a DS.

[quote name='Graystone']Man that sucks I have learned when dropping stuff use your foot to break the fall. When it hits you foot it simply slides off and instead of dead dropping on the ground, it slides across and as it slides it disperses the energy from the fall thus causing less damage.[/QUOTE]
I used to do this until recently, when I dropped a frozen turkey on my foot that was falling out of my freezer. True story.:)

[quote name='Zombie']Nintendo already said they're not making a new DS like the rumor said. Take that as you will.[/QUOTE]

You need to read more carefully. They've said they won't announce anything this week.

They will likely announce something at E3.

Reggie wouldn't lie.

Ouch... sorry to hear that man. But I'm wondering why they even mentioned the warrenty? Would they have fixed it if it was under warrenty?:whistle2:k

I agree 100%

[quote name='Jedi1979']just make sure you arent dropping anything heavy enough to break your foot;)[/QUOTE]

i dropped a frozen turkey on my toe before and it didnt break .... guess i was lucky... stupid thing came rolling out when i opened up the door :)

Man that sucks, but 75 for a new refurb DS is still a pretty decent consolation, but like others said might want to wait for the (possible) updated DS and just bare with the cracked DS for a bit longer and then sell it on ebay, should at least get around 40 bucks or so probably...(you could always sell the cracked one on ebay, get the 75 DS, play it, then sell it again if you decide to get an updated DS-if it does come out...might be a hassle but the net loss of green shouldn't be too much and you get all the latest stuff!)

On a side note though, how on earth did you get your DS originally for only $60 bucks?!? Assuming it was brand new at the time too, I would have liked to gotten in on this for this price! (^_^)... As it is gonna wait around and see if an update is announced soon before I get a DS...

I'm just wondering if you have to send in your currently broken DS to qualify for the $75 refurb?

[quote name='Snake2715']Pm me I may buy the broken one from you.[/QUOTE]

Gonna hack it or add some sweet attachments to the DS?

[quote name='sabin23']Gonna hack it or add some sweet attachments to the DS?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would like to take it apart and mess with it. A broken one would be cheaper and not take a working one out of existance. Nor would it urt my wallet as much.

I know there is a way to get the display to a TV as its been done at E3.

[quote name='munkyballz']Man that sucks, but 75 for a new refurb DS is still a pretty decent consolation, but like others said might want to wait for the (possible) updated DS and just bare with the cracked DS for a bit longer and then sell it on ebay, should at least get around 40 bucks or so probably...(you could always sell the cracked one on ebay, get the 75 DS, play it, then sell it again if you decide to get an updated DS-if it does come out...might be a hassle but the net loss of green shouldn't be too much and you get all the latest stuff!)

On a side note though, how on earth did you get your DS originally for only $60 bucks?!? Assuming it was brand new at the time too, I would have liked to gotten in on this for this price! (^_^)... As it is gonna wait around and see if an update is announced soon before I get a DS...[/QUOTE] Yeah, I'll probably just sell it to Snake or sell it on eBay and then buy the $75 system from Nintendo.

I originally bought the DS for $60 from a friend. He needed money to buy something (I forget what) and he said he never played his DS and he was going to sell it along with some GBA games at EB. So I gladly took the DS off his hands (along with a couple GBA games he sold me for $5 a pop) for his incredibly low asking price of $60.

thats usually my natural instinct, but i hate it when i acidently do it with a brick or something heavy that falls from the freezer.

[quote name='docvinh']I used to do this until recently, when I dropped a frozen turkey on my foot that was falling out of my freezer. True story.:)[/QUOTE]You must have been really worried about the turkey shattering!

Theres always some asshole who loves to prove his brillance. Thank you professor ovious, for that brilliant look into the fact that feet are softer than hard tile.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Theres always some asshole who loves to prove his brillance. Thank you professor ovious, for that brilliant look into the fact that feet are softer than hard tile.[/QUOTE]

Why are you calling him an asshole?

[quote name='Demontooth']Why are you calling him an asshole?[/QUOTE]

Ok, maybe not an asshole, its just annoying cause its like rubbing it in that it was broken. Like we all dont know that feet are softer than hard tile. I know people who do this and it drives me insane.

bread's done
Back