One concern I have with the PSP and games...

scott123456

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For me, I'm excited about the PSP. I love the design and it has potential. There is, however, one thing that kinda bothers me. How many games will strictly be ports from the PS1? Even worse, how will a gamer know if it's just a port or actually a different version?

I love the idea of getting hot shots, or ape escape, Sly etc.. on the PSP but only if they actually represent hand held versions. I don't simply want a smaller version of the game I already own.

Any thoughts? My suggestion would be on the back of the box and in the instructions it should have a box labeled "Ported from PS1" Y/N so that all gamers know. This is stretching it but gamers have to be informed if they are simply buying the same game over. Maybe EGM, PSM, etc should come up with a standard for reviews and be very specific in a game.

I don't see that as a problem, the GBA does that all the time and it works. It does bother the hell out of me through.

The main thing that bothers me about the PSP is the battery, if they fix that and make at least one big orinigal game it shoul be fine then.

Ports do suck, but they are easy money.

There wont be any "direct" ports as in they will be adding stuff if they port a game from the ps2 or ps1. For example GT4 will have the wireless multiplayer, I'm pretty sure online, and some extra tracks and stuff, so no game will be ported without something extra being added or something different happening in the game.

[quote name='scott123456']For me, I'm excited about the PSP. I love the design and it has potential. There is, however, one thing that kinda bothers me. How many games will strictly be ports from the PS1? Even worse, how will a gamer know if it's just a port or actually a different version?

I love the idea of getting hot shots, or ape escape, Sly etc.. on the PSP but only if they actually represent hand held versions. I don't simply want a smaller version of the game I already own.[/quote]

Unless someone's a complete idiot and just buys games because of the name, they won't be tricked into buying a port.

I don't know about you, but I research games before I buy them. Especially if I'm buying a brand new game at full retail price.

If someone buys a game without reading up on what it's about, then they can't blame anyone if they're stuck with a straight port.

[quote name='whoknows']There wont be any "direct" ports as in they will be adding stuff if they port a game from the ps2 or ps1. For example GT4 will have the wireless multiplayer, I'm pretty sure online, and some extra tracks and stuff, so no game will be ported without something extra being added or something different happening in the game.[/quote]

How much ya wanna bet that we'll be promised wireless multiplayer and only have it pulled from us the last minute before the game launches?

I'm still not convinced that highly detailed 3D games will work on a handheld screen. People are already complaining about eyestrain and motion sickness with Mario 64 on the DS, to say nothing of how much detail is wasted on a tiny display.

Once people get over the amazing-ness of seeing PS2-ish graphics they're going to realize it's not that great a gaming experience.

And, yeah, battery life. The PSP is really hurting from that.

[quote name='oneirotekt']I'm still not convinced that highly detailed 3D games will work on a handheld screen. People are already complaining about eyestrain and motion sickness with Mario 64 on the DS, to say nothing of how much detail is wasted on a tiny display..[/quote]

Who's been complaining about motion sickness and eye strain?

[quote name='Greetard']Death Jr. is one original game I'm looking forward to.[/quote]

Although it will be nice to have an "original" game for the PSP at launch, I'm willing to bet this is going to suck.

yeah, and who's complaining about wasted detail. I've seen mario 64 and other games for the DS and I'm not impressed. They all look like N64 games to me. Now, instead of SNES ports for the gameboy, we can buy all the N64 games over again for the DS. Yippie, a 'new' mario, DK, kirby, and Pokemon. I can't wait to spend my money playing these games over again.

All while the big N makes money hand over fist with little or no real innovation at all. Oh yeah, the touch screen, I forgot. That must have taken a good hours worth of blueroom debate.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Greetard']Death Jr. is one original game I'm looking forward to.[/quote]

Although it will be nice to have an "original" game for the PSP at launch, I'm willing to bet this is going to suck.[/quote]

At least it has an interesting conccept, though you're probably right. I love playing as bad guys so it would rule to play as death if the gameplay really took advantage of that notion. The scary part though is that screenshots to date have only shown Death Jr. in dark corridors and dungeon-like settings. Why isn't he in populated villages and towns threatening all of the people???

the direct port strategy would not be the best route to go for psp games for the most part since many of those games were not developed with portable gaming in mind. Even though Nintendo has ported their console games over, they have made slight mods to ease in playing on the go. Adding saving on demand features being the most needed to update old games as portables.

If the psp starts having games of metal gear where you have 30 minutes of cutscenes/gaming that cannot be saved until it is all completed, no matter how great the visuals are or tight the gameplay, it will suffer because the portable environment does not as easily allow marathon gaming as the console does.

I would imagine as the psp gets a little older and developers get some more experience, problems like direct vanilla ports or best understanding the portable aspect of gaming will be solved.

[quote name='bmulligan']yeah, and who's complaining about wasted detail. I've seen mario 64 and other games for the DS and I'm not impressed. They all look like N64 games to me. Now, instead of SNES ports for the gameboy, we can buy all the N64 games over again for the DS. Yippie, a 'new' mario, DK, kirby, and Pokemon. I can't wait to spend my money playing these games over again.

All while the big N makes money hand over fist with little or no real innovation at all. Oh yeah, the touch screen, I forgot. That must have taken a good hours worth of blueroom debate.[/quote]

Yep, and I can't wait to buy two copies of GT4, one for on the road and one for at home. PSP is going to be just as bad with half-assed ports as the GBA. The DS had a port of Mario 64, but there's no others announced for the future, so it's a little preemptive to say that Nintendo's going to pull N64 ports to the DS.

[quote name='bmulligan']yeah, and who's complaining about wasted detail. I've seen mario 64 and other games for the DS and I'm not impressed. They all look like N64 games to me. Now, instead of SNES ports for the gameboy, we can buy all the N64 games over again for the DS. Yippie, a 'new' mario, DK, kirby, and Pokemon. I can't wait to spend my money playing these games over again.

All while the big N makes money hand over fist with little or no real innovation at all. Oh yeah, the touch screen, I forgot. That must have taken a good hours worth of blueroom debate.[/quote]

I missed out on a lot of the great N64 games, so I won't be "rebuying" anything. Plus, if Nintendo can bring in a few of their AAA games on the N64 while improving them for the DS, I'm all for it as long as they are also making new franchise games.

The scree on the PSP is pretty freaking huge so I doubt the detail will be lost in any signifigant fashion. As for ports it wll be up to Sony to make you WANT to buy a port, they KNOW it won't be easy to sell you the same game twice this dosent take a rocket scientist, they will HAVE to come up with new options, features, and ideas to make them interesting.

If the psp starts having games of metal gear where you have 30 minutes of cutscenes/gaming that cannot be saved until it is all completed, no matter how great the visuals are or tight the gameplay, it will suffer because the portable environment does not as easily allow marathon gaming as the console does.

Probably why they made Metal Gear a strategy game.

[quote name='Alpha2']

Probably why they made Metal Gear a strategy game.[/quote]

turn based = quick save

bread's done
Back