One-Month of Xbox Live Gold for $1 - Possibly YMMV

TealPavelski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So there is an ad on Xbox Live to renew Xbox Live Gold for one-month for just $1. This may only be for people that are close to their renewal date as my subscription needs renewal in December.

You really can't beat an extra month for a buck, but the strange things is that after I purchased a month for $1, the ad is still showing up. Does this mean I can buy a month as many times as I want? So I can buy a year for $12?

FYI, the ad is in the Spotlight section. Here is a screenshot.

25ztifs.jpg

Yea, it does depend on your current live status. I managed to get a year for 34.99 after mine was expired for a few weeks. I noticed the deal they offered would change every week until I renewed it and then it started to happen again when I got close to the expiration date.

Yeah its not a bad deal. I went ahead and bought one month for $1 and I won a few months from Gamestops MW3 Contest, so I now don't have to renew until March which is sweet for a broke gamer like myself!

Thanks OP, I'll check into this after having my Gold canceled. And hell yeah, I would definitely try signing up 12 times if I were you. That's 80% off MSRP! ;)

No deal.MS will sink it's teeth into your credit card and never let go.Took advantage of the $1 month multiple times last time.Tried to cancel automatic renewal, could not be done.

I'd recommend not doing this for multiple reasons:

* You agree to get the 1 month for $1, and then normal billing after that.
* People have tried to do this $1 for 1 month deal multiple times and had issues with their XBL accounts being locked out for attempting scamming.

You can pick up XBL cards on sale with regularity, so don't save some money now to give Microsoft $60 later.

I received a similar offer but it was $2 fo 2 months.
I believe you can call them and ask to stop auto-renewal.

[quote name='realkilla789']Don't do the multiple months for $1. Last time I did 6 months for $6 and my account got locked out of for a while for fraud.[/QUOTE]

Mine too lol

They have locked my credit card to my account and I've called 3 times to take it off and got the runaround each time, they told me countless lies and that they couldn't take it off and that it would be stupid of me to take it off (their exact words), luckily it was only a greendot cash card so I just used up the money, now they keep trying to charge it though, it's all been a huge inconvenience.

They lost me after they stop allowing to cancel autorenewal on their website.

Never will I put my cc info with them. Ill pay for the a yr worth of gold on card when it goes on sale

I did this deal multiple times a few months ago (5 months for $5). MS locked my account. I could still play games online, but I couldn't buy points or download anything. They let me keep the months of XBL even though they said it would be taken away. It was a pain in the butt to fix everything.

[quote name='vindictivegnome']i did this deal multiple times a few months ago (5 months for $5). Ms locked my account. I could still play games online, but i couldn't buy points or download anything. They let me keep the months of xbl even though they said it would be taken away. It was a pain in the butt to fix everything.[/quote]

qft

lol this reminds me of last year when they were supposed to give you a halo reach helmet with the one month. still haven't gotten mine

Text XBOX360 to 332211 to get a code from best buy (this deal stops on the 29th so hurry!) that will take $20 off thier cards. I did this and got the code and went to the store to find a card that was only $50 and had Joust as a free download code on it. So all in all I only spent 30 bucks and extended my play time till Nov of 2013 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='realkilla789']Don't do the multiple months for $1. Last time I did 6 months for $6 and my account got locked out of for a while for fraud.[/QUOTE]

That's BS. How can they call it fraud, when you are simply purchasing something that THEY ARE OFFERING YOU? If you buy it once, and they offer it to you again... uhhh, oh well, that's their problem. You simply take them up on THEIR own offer. How could that be even remotely close to fraud?

[quote name='n8dawwg']Text XBOX360 to 332211 to get a code from best buy (this deal stops on the 29th so hurry!) that will take $20 off thier cards. I did this and got the code and went to the store to find a card that was only $50 and had Joust as a free download code on it. So all in all I only spent 30 bucks and extended my play time till Nov of 2013 :D[/QUOTE]

Why was it only $50? Is it on sale or something?

[quote name='DDustiNN']That's BS. How can they call it fraud, when you are simply purchasing something that THEY ARE OFFERING YOU? If you buy it once, and they offer it to you again... uhhh, oh well, that's their problem. You simply take them up on THEIR own offer. How could that be even remotely close to fraud?[/QUOTE] I would like to know this also.

I used this method recently, and worked flawlessly, just googled a real Illinois zipcode
[quote name=' CyReN @ MLG forum']Quote
First off, thanks to eltacodeldiablo for pointing me in the right direction. A few days ago there was a deal to get 5 months of Xbox live for $5 which is all well and good except that it turned on automatic renewal for your account which is a pain to turn off. As it turns out, Illinois passed a law that requires internet gaming service providers to have an online method to cancel the service. So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

• Go to the account page
  • Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
  • Back on the account page, go to Manage Payment Options
  • Edit the credit card's billing info to be somewhere in Chicago
  • [EDIT] Go back to the main account page (Next to the avatar will say Automatic Renewal: On (Change). The word (Change) is a link that will take you to the page for disabling it
  • Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
  • You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
  • Profit
It takes a few minutes, but is far less painful than calling support and having them potentially cancel your account instead of turning off auto renewal.[/QUOTE]

Probably a good idea to copy this down and save it for later too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChaosLaw']lol this reminds me of last year when they were supposed to give you a halo reach helmet with the one month. still haven't gotten mine[/QUOTE]

Ha ha lol me to

[quote name='smokey6']I used this method recently, and worked flawlessly, just googled a real Illinois zipcode

First off, thanks to eltacodeldiablo for pointing me in the right direction. A few days ago there was a deal to get 5 months of Xbox live for $5 which is all well and good except that it turned on automatic renewal for your account which is a pain to turn off. As it turns out, Illinois passed a law that requires internet gaming service providers to have an online method to cancel the service. So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

• Go to the account page
  • Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
  • Back on the account page, click Upgrade/Manage Account
  • Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
  • You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
  • Profit
It takes a few minutes, but is far less painful than calling support and having them potentially cancel your account instead of turning off auto renewal.

Probably a good idea to copy this down and save it for later too.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: The directions here are slightly wrong! After changing the addresses, do NOT go to the Manage/Upgrade Account page. Instead, just go back to the main account page. Next to the avatar will say Automatic Renewal: On (Change). The word (Change) is a link that will take you to the page for disabling it. =)

Nice!!! :applause:

I renewed through a deal on the 360 Dashboard last year and have been worrying about how to cancel my auto-renewal which will be coming up soon. Glad I won't have to bother calling and dealing with their customer service nonsense.

[quote name='DDustiNN']That's BS. How can they call it fraud, when you are simply purchasing something that THEY ARE OFFERING YOU? If you buy it once, and they offer it to you again... uhhh, oh well, that's their problem. You simply take them up on THEIR own offer. How could that be even remotely close to fraud?[/QUOTE]It's supposed to be a single month for the $1, then agreement for normal billing at $59.99 annually.

You can't take advantage of the deal for multiple months, nor auto-cancel the deal. If you do either of those, it's considered by fraud for the terms of the deal. That's why they lock accounts for multiple use of the 1mo for $1 deal, or those that auto-cancel.

[quote name='smokey6']First off, thanks to eltacodeldiablo for pointing me in the right direction. A few days ago there was a deal to get 5 months of Xbox live for $5 which is all well and good except that it turned on automatic renewal for your account which is a pain to turn off. As it turns out, Illinois passed a law that requires internet gaming service providers to have an online method to cancel the service. So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

• Go to the account page
  • Back on the account page, click Upgrade/Manage Account
  • Profit
It takes a few minutes, but is far less painful than calling support and having them potentially cancel your account instead of turning off auto renewal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll have to try this later. Do you know if this is permanent? Because I know I've "turned off" auto-renew in the past (actually had a link to turn it off), only to find a few weeks later that it has been re-activiated out of nowhere. I swear this is some of the shadiest shit I've ever seen.

[quote name='boylover']EDIT: The directions here are slightly wrong! After changing the addresses, do NOT go to the Manage/Upgrade Account page. Instead, just go back to the main account page. Next to the avatar will say Automatic Renewal: On (Change). The word (Change) is a link that will take you to the page for disabling it. =)

Nice!!! :applause:

I renewed through a deal on the 360 Dashboard last year and have been worrying about how to cancel my auto-renewal which will be coming up soon. Glad I won't have to bother calling and dealing with their customer service nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I revised that step.

[quote name='Dendaman']Thanks, I'll have to try this later. Do you know if this is permanent? Because I know I've "turned off" auto-renew in the past (actually had a link to turn it off), only to find a few weeks later that it has been re-activiated out of nowhere. I swear this is some of the shadiest shit I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't switched back on me yet, but it was for 2 accounts that I didn't want the Gold membership, so I haven't renewed it with the original CC or a store purchased XBL Gold card.
But again, my auto-renew is still OFF on the 2 accounts I used this method with.

Also, go over my post again, I slightly revised one step.

I can vouch for that method to turn off Auto-Renewal, did it 2 nights ago. I signed up for $1 for 1 month last month and through those directions was able to cancel before getting charged. Much better than calling.

It's not as bad as everyone says. I've done this offer multiple times and it has never been a hassle to turn off automatic renewal - just call in the morning. They open at like 9 am, that's when you call. Takes literally two minutes (though you do need to tell them your gamertag and answer to secret question and/or last four digits of the credit card you used). They give you a reference number too should you need to follow up on any problems.

I wouldn't trust anything on the site to turn off automatic renewal, especially if it requires some workaround to change your billing address. The trickier thing is when you're on your Xbox during the last week of your subscription, sometimes you get a prompt that asks if you want automatic renewal turned on or off. Choosing off never seems to work if you're on this kind of offer.

[quote name='smokey6']I used this method recently, and worked flawlessly, just googled a real Illinois zipcode

Probably a good idea to copy this down and save it for later too.[/QUOTE]
Thanks A LOT man! I've been worrying about auto - renewal.

This may be a stupid question but my Live sub runs out in about a week and I have a 12 month subscription card. If I see this deal on the dashboard and take it then apply my 12 mo card will the auto renew not kick in for 13 months?

[quote name='whitereflection']That's exactly what I use. Just remember to cancel auto-renewal even if you run out of money or remove the card.[/QUOTE]

you can't remove a payment option without adding another one

[quote name='tbassett']This may be a stupid question but my Live sub runs out in about a week and I have a 12 month subscription card. If I see this deal on the dashboard and take it then apply my 12 mo card will the auto renew not kick in for 13 months?[/QUOTE]

correct, also there is a high probability that the $1 for a month will show up again after you apply the 12 month code....so 14 months!

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']correct, also there is a high probability that the $1 for a month will show up again after you apply the 12 month code....so 14 months![/QUOTE]

Sweet thanks for the info. My debit card expires in April so I don't even need to worrty about the auto-renew stuff. M$ can try charging it next year and it will bomb.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Has anyone ever used a pre-paid Visa on this? I have one with like $3 left on it and wouldn't mind getting a month for $1.[/QUOTE]

I have a pre-paid Visa linked to the accounts for my siblings after a string of erroneous charges appeared on my brother's account (which MS refused to reimburse or even acknowledge the weird circumstances). Plus, you can't take your existing card off without putting a new one on, so I picked up a $25 card, spent most of it on groceries, and then linked it to our profiles.

Suck it, Microsoft.

Quick question - I renewed my live membership with the Halo Reach deal on the dash last year (Gold – 40% off 12 Months). Does it matter if I turn-off my auto-renewal before my membership expires (which isn't until May)? Also not sure if it matters, but my card is expiring at the end of the month and I have no plans of giving them a new one.

[quote name='TealPavelski']So there is an ad on Xbox Live to renew Xbox Live Gold for one-month for just $1. This may only be for people that are close to their renewal date as my subscription needs renewal in December.

You really can't beat an extra month for a buck, but the strange things is that after I purchased a month for $1, the ad is still showing up. Does this mean I can buy a month as many times as I want? So I can buy a year for $12?

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='redflare']Quick question - I renewed my live membership with the Halo Reach deal on the dash last year (Gold – 40% off 12 Months). Does it matter if I turn-off my auto-renewal before my membership expires (which isn't until May)? Also not sure if it matters, but my card is expiring at the end of the month and I have no plans of giving them a new one.[/QUOTE]

I did this deal, and i'll lend you my experience.

The deal you are agreeing to is a promise to buy the one month for the one dollar at the end of all your prepaid (i.e. prepurchased) membership period. Accepting multiple deals of the same thing, will not stack. It's like re-affirming your promise to pay over and over.

This means you aren't billed until all of your prepaid time has run completely out and it's time to go on a pay plan. So your card expiring before the renewal time would be a bad thing. Although the charge might still go through if the bank gives you a new CC with the same number.

This, as others have mentioned, does set you up with auto-renewal that is automatically billed to your creditcard of record.

I had no issue cancelling auto-renewal during the 1$ month (I think), but I also found a decent deal on a 1 year live card right after, so I can't confirm that it actually canceled my membership at the end of that month.

[quote name='htown01']BB Gamer sent a "Save $20 on XBL 12 mo. Gold Card. In stores only. Show SKU: 3866248. Ends 10/29/2011."

Will this still work for the old Joust and Halo ODST cards? I know these are old but I know there are those lucky few who know where to find some.[/QUOTE]

$40 and it doesn't require giving MS a credit card number. $30 if you can find one of the older Joust and Halo ODST-branded cards.

[quote name='munkapotamus']I did this deal, and i'll lend you my experience.

The deal you are agreeing to is a promise to buy the one month for the one dollar at the end of all your prepaid (i.e. prepurchased) membership period. Accepting multiple deals of the same thing, will not stack. It's like re-affirming your promise to pay over and over.

This means you aren't billed until all of your prepaid time has run completely out and it's time to go on a pay plan. So your card expiring before the renewal time would be a bad thing. Although the charge might still go through if the bank gives you a new CC with the same number.

This, as others have mentioned, does set you up with auto-renewal that is automatically billed to your creditcard of record.

I had no issue cancelling auto-renewal during the 1$ month (I think), but I also found a decent deal on a 1 year live card right after, so I can't confirm that it actually canceled my membership at the end of that month.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was slightly confused about. The Reach renewal deal kicked in for me in May (so my membership expires next May). I do have a 12-month prepaid card that I haven't put in yet, would that override the auto-renewal in May or am I better off just turning auto-renewal off?

I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I've redeemed the $1 for 1 month deal on three or four separate occasions already and have never had a single problem. If you don't want your membership renewed for the full amount after one month, just call MS and have them cancel it before the renewal date. It's pretty simply, really.

[quote name='Rirse']After removing automatic renew, can you change the address back to the original state?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can

bread's done
Back