One month to go...Are you convinced?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Not only that but, dare I say? 3DS has already found its killer app, in the form of Mario 3D Land... I would say between that and the price difference, the 3DS is very strong competitor to the Vita right now.[/QUOTE]

3DS still isn't a success though. This is coming from someone who bought it Day 1 (along with every previous Nintendo handheld as well as the PSP, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Game.com etc). Still waiting for more games to arrive, but at least it played all my previous DS Games...something the PSP can't do. I was able to sell my old DSI Xl and use that towards the 3DS purchase. People with large PSP Libraries can't even do that.

You said they're making at least $50 in profit that would allow them to drop the price by that much and still make a profit, so having a good 15-20% of your console's cost be profit is huge for gaming systems. They said at E3 that they're making a small profit from every system sold and said a bit later that it would take about three years to make a profit with R&D costs and all that figured in from the past couple of years, so I would be more likely to believe that there's a little profit being made even though I don't see it being over $50 to allow for a big price drop anytime soon.

The figures you're citing are about the 3G version, so there would be less to be made on the main Wifi model. Making such a big assumption either way seems foolish unless you have the facts to back it up. A quick Google search just shows that most sites write misleading titles for these kinds of articles so that I don't blame anybody for believing them before they read it and see what is really being reported.

[quote name='GizmoGC']3DS still isn't a success though. This is coming from someone who bought it Day 1 (along with every previous Nintendo handheld as well as the PSP, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Game.com etc). Still waiting for more games to arrive, but at least it played all my previous DS Games...something the PSP can't do. I was able to sell my old DSI Xl and use that towards the 3DS purchase. People with large PSP Libraries can't even do that.[/QUOTE]

Nah, not a success yet but certainly looking a lot better than it did 8-9 months ago and having a solid Mario game certainly helps.

Lack of proper BC for Vita is certainly something to be taken into account as well. There was the plan of the UMD/PSN upgrade program but there's seemingly still a lot of question marks around that (and the fact that the plan right now is to have to pay on top of the upgrade doesn't help).

[quote name='GizmoGC']It could sell 5 unit and sony fans would call it successful. When it's in last place, it's not successful.

If people won't pay $10 for an iPhone game, why would they pay $50 for a Vita?[/QUOTE]
different audience. people who play iphone games do so because they already have a phone and like to play games occasionally. people who buy the vita are hardcore gamers who are willing to pay more to get more.

[quote name='el swordo']different audience. people who play iphone games do so because they already have a phone and like to play games occasionally. people who buy the vita are hardcore gamers who are willing to pay more to get more.[/QUOTE]

"Hardcore gamers" don't really exist like they used to. It's more casual now. Look at the Wii. Veryfew people are going to drop $250+ on a handheld plus another +$30 for a memory card + another $40-$50 for a game. And keep dropping that much for a game over and over for a handheld.

Vita is going to sell to the super hardcover games. Even hardcore gamers are passing on handhelds this generation.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Nah, not a success yet but certainly looking a lot better than it did 8-9 months ago and having a solid Mario game certainly helps.

Lack of proper BC for Vita is certainly something to be taken into account as well. There was the plan of the UMD/PSN upgrade program but there's seemingly still a lot of question marks around that (and the fact that the plan right now is to have to pay on top of the upgrade doesn't help).[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the plan with the PSP Go! as well?

[quote name='GizmoGC']"Hardcore gamers" don't really exist like they used to. It's more casual now. Look at the Wii. Veryfew people are going to drop $250+ on a handheld plus another +$30 for a memory card + another $40-$50 for a game. And keep dropping that much for a game over and over for a handheld.

Vita is going to sell to the super hardcover games. Even hardcore gamers are passing on handhelds this generation.[/QUOTE]
the wii may have sold a bunch of consoles but who still plays their wii? and the wii cost $250 on launch and i don't know how much memory cards where because you could use any sd card. i would argue that the vita is a much better value than the wii was at launch.

I'm firmly on the side of waiting. I still have enough credit at Amazon and GameStop to buy the system, a game, and a memory card. I also firming believe that Sony should have include a game (digital download?) and at least a 1-2GB memory card. At $250, with this economy, I need a "deal". Until then, I'll be eagerly waiting a proper bundle or price-drop.

This is going to be an agonizing wait...

[quote name='el swordo']the wii may have sold a bunch of consoles but who still plays their wii? and the wii cost $250 on launch and i don't know how much memory cards where because you could use any sd card. i would argue that the vita is a much better value than the wii was at launch.[/QUOTE]

Who cares how many people use it? Nintendo made money on every console sold. They made money on the numerous WiiMotes/Nunchucks/Balance Boards/Crap. SD Cards were common and available incredibly cheap and was probably the most proven 'memory' format around. It didn't use it's own 'memory cards' like GameCube/N64/PS2 etc. Vita, once again, uses a proprietary card that forces a purchase.

Vita is a shitty value at launch. It's perhaps the shittiest value of any handheld launch ever. Not only is it more expensive than the competition (by $80, minimum), but it requires an additional $30 purchase just to properly save. It's in last place from the previous hand held wars and it's up against the 3DS, Phones and Tablets. No backwards compatability either.

I think Vita will probably have the worst launch in console/handheld history from a major name (not counting crap like the 3DO or Neo Geo Pocket Color etc.). Coming from Sony, this is going to be very embarrassing. There is no buzz or excitement for it. Does anyone care? The PSP has been on life support for 2-3 years out here in America where it went from having tons of space to maybe 12 slots at Target.

I just hope it does succeed, regardless of all this inane bickering over the perceived value of the thing. it's a cool piece of hardware with some cool games coming. it'll probably be a bunch of ps3 ports with some minor modifications for the first year or so of its life. it's basically exactly what I'm looking for. it's not for everyone, and it's definitely not for the "iOS and android have all the games I need, I'll never pay more than a buck for a handheld game" crowd.

[quote name='handsomepete']I just hope it does succeed, regardless of all this inane bickering over the perceived value of the thing. it's a cool piece of hardware with some cool games coming. it'll probably be a bunch of ps3 ports with some minor modifications for the first year or so of its life. it's basically exactly what I'm looking for. it's not for everyone, and it's definitely not for the "iOS and android have all the games I need, I'll never pay more than a buck for a handheld game" crowd.[/QUOTE]

Don't mistake my concern and belief about a potential to be desire for the Vita's failure. I want the thing to succeed, I like it. I love the idea of playing console type games on a portable. My PSP got twice as much usage as my DS.

My only concern is that we'll end up with another super quick price drop like the 3DS and then I'd regret getting one at launch. If I had more faith in it being a sellout I'd have it preordered on Amazon already. I feel like there just isn't enough general excitement about it yet to sustain the $250 price tag. Myself? I'm excited to someday own a Vita, just not excited enough to get it at $250.

It really sucks because I know it will probably drop within a few months, but as I mentioned earlier I have a weakness for MLB The Show and for me that's the killer app. It's not so much that I'm impatient, I just don't want to potentially wait until the season is over to fire up a franchise. It would have been great if this thing launched back in November so then it might be dropping closer to The Show coming out.

Everyone views value differently and for me having those months to enjoy it during the season will be worth it. The only way I would regret it is if it drops less than three months in.

It's possible that I may get one eventually, but, if I were to purchase one, I see the Vita falling to a similar fate as my PSP - collecting dust in a drawer.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Who cares how many people use it? Nintendo made money on every console sold. They made money on the numerous WiiMotes/Nunchucks/Balance Boards/Crap. SD Cards were common and available incredibly cheap and was probably the most proven 'memory' format around. It didn't use it's own 'memory cards' like GameCube/N64/PS2 etc. Vita, once again, uses a proprietary card that forces a purchase.

Vita is a shitty value at launch. It's perhaps the shittiest value of any handheld launch ever. Not only is it more expensive than the competition (by $80, minimum), but it requires an additional $30 purchase just to properly save. It's in last place from the previous hand held wars and it's up against the 3DS, Phones and Tablets. No backwards compatability either.

I think Vita will probably have the worst launch in console/handheld history from a major name (not counting crap like the 3DO or Neo Geo Pocket Color etc.). Coming from Sony, this is going to be very embarrassing. There is no buzz or excitement for it. Does anyone care? The PSP has been on life support for 2-3 years out here in America where it went from having tons of space to maybe 12 slots at Target.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo made money on every console sold. So guess what? They ripped you and tons of other people off on "every console sold". Wow, what a great company. They care about you enough to rip you off on every console sold, wonderful. Sadly most of those consoles were weak in terms of hardware (Gamecube, Wii, 3DS) and very lacking in design (Wii low-res graphics were horrible, even Skyward Sword looks HORRIBLE in the low-res Wii output).

The worst launch I've ever seen was the 3DS, and it still remains one of the most poorly designed, gimmicky handhelds ever. Everything about the 3DS reeks of cheapness and budget-cutting decisions. The top screen is only 3.53", low-res (400x240), d-pad sucks, only one analog nub (big screw-up by the Big N), cheap hinges, poor design that causes upper screen to be scratched/smudged, cheap 3D gimmick . . . the list goes on. The ONLY thing the 3DS has going for it is the usual 1000x rehashed Nintendo junk, otherwise its worthless. Sure they sold more late last year, but the price was gutted down to as little as $120 commonly, so it makes sense they'd sell more of them. Let's see how that holds up in 2012, with the anemic release list.

And by the way, the PSP blew away the DS in every way; the DS just sold more because it was heavily geared towards kids, and millions of parents bought them. Don't mistake big sales for serious games, because most of the DS games were shovelware or kids stuff.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Nintendo made money on every console sold. So guess what? They ripped you and tons of other people off on "every console sold". Wow, what a great company. They care about you enough to rip you off on every console sold, wonderful. Sadly most of those consoles were weak in terms of hardware (Gamecube, Wii, 3DS) and very lacking in design (Wii low-res graphics were horrible, even Skyward Sword looks HORRIBLE in the low-res Wii output).

The worst launch I've ever seen was the 3DS, and it still remains one of the most poorly designed, gimmicky handhelds ever. Everything about the 3DS reeks of cheapness and budget-cutting decisions. The top screen is only 3.53", low-res (400x240), d-pad sucks, only one analog nub (big screw-up by the Big N), cheap hinges, poor design that causes upper screen to be scratched/smudged, cheap 3D gimmick . . . the list goes on. The ONLY thing the 3DS has going for it is the usual 1000x rehashed Nintendo junk, otherwise its worthless. Sure they sold more late last year, but the price was gutted down to as little as $120 commonly, so it makes sense they'd sell more of them. Let's see how that holds up in 2012, with the anemic release list.

And by the way, the PSP blew away the DS in every way; the DS just sold more because it was heavily geared towards kids, and millions of parents bought them. Don't mistake big sales for serious games, because most of the DS games were shovelware or kids stuff.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, anemic release list for 2012 for the 3DS? Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil Revelations, Animal Crossing... Anemic? The 3DS's best days are ahead of it, not behind it. Their launch might have been completely botched and they may have had some questionable decisions about the design of the system but making it seem like the thing is on its way out is a little bit of a stretch.

I think I'm more convinced than I was a month ago. The hardware seems very cool, and the games are the most important thing to me. Uncharted, HSG, and MLB 12 are the reasons I'm picking up the Vita. I even switched my pre-order from a wifi version to the first edition bundle just to get my hands on it sooner.

Currently I have no regrets in getting this system and spending over $600 total. I preordered this system the moment I heard the name of a new system and put in a reserve at gamestop. Not hard to save up from then to now. I have read everything I can find and watch any video in relation to it. GizmoGC - Feel bad for what happened with the 3DS, felt that when I had the Day 1 DS and when the Lite came out felt like they jacked me in the back of the head and laughed. Glad I knew to wait for the reversion on that one. I never had that happen to me from the Day 1 PSP, even the slim never did to me what Nintendo did. The Wii is the worse game system I've ever known to collect dust in gaming history with owners. Hardcore gamers are not a dieing breed i'm beyond my backlog of current gen games to stop me from what i love and want. You can't compare the current price drop of the 3DS to the price to the Vita. I would compare it to the original price, since it was not a sale/normal drop in price but a critical failure that made it drop. To me the value is there and the waiting is killing but going to be a great February.

haha damn, I thought I was the only one obsessing over and looking up videos for the Vita every chance I get. $250 is a lot but I paid that for a 3DS then and had no regrets and I'm sure I'll feel none getting the Wi-Fi Vita model at launch. I actually thought the PSP Slims were good redesigns except for one flaw which is that they appear to be built cheaper or that is because the plastic is thinner (had the bottom part of the front plate start cracking a little due to normal wear and tear) but never was an issue on the 1000 models. The Vita being sexy as is and the possibility of future revisions being built cheaper, I'll just take the first iteration.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Nintendo made money on every console sold. So guess what? They ripped you and tons of other people off on "every console sold". Wow, what a great company. They care about you enough to rip you off on every console sold, wonderful. Sadly most of those consoles were weak in terms of hardware (Gamecube, Wii, 3DS) and very lacking in design (Wii low-res graphics were horrible, even Skyward Sword looks HORRIBLE in the low-res Wii output).[/quote]

Making money on selling is product is now ripping me off?

And when the 3DS kicks the crap out of Vita what will the excuse be?

And by the way, the PSP blew away the DS in every way; the DS just sold more because it was heavily geared towards kids, and millions of parents bought them. Don't mistake big sales for serious games, because most of the DS games were shovelware or kids stuff.

Ahh, heavily geared towards kids. Is that the excuse used because the PSP didn't sell very well?

[quote name='Pend']Currently I have no regrets in getting this system and spending over $600 total. I preordered this system the moment I heard the name of a new system and put in a reserve at gamestop. Not hard to save up from then to now. I have read everything I can find and watch any video in relation to it. GizmoGC - Feel bad for what happened with the 3DS, felt that when I had the Day 1 DS and when the Lite came out felt like they jacked me in the back of the head and laughed. Glad I knew to wait for the reversion on that one. I never had that happen to me from the Day 1 PSP, even the slim never did to me what Nintendo did. The Wii is the worse game system I've ever known to collect dust in gaming history with owners. Hardcore gamers are not a dieing breed i'm beyond my backlog of current gen games to stop me from what i love and want. You can't compare the current price drop of the 3DS to the price to the Vita. I would compare it to the original price, since it was not a sale/normal drop in price but a critical failure that made it drop. To me the value is there and the waiting is killing but going to be a great February.[/QUOTE]

PSP went through just as many revisions as the DS did. But you only felt bad about Nintendo doing it to you and not Sony? Gees, I guess when a $249 handheld does it and a $149 does it (launch price for both - cheapest versions BTW) you only feel screwed by the cheaper one (which makes no sense since it would be the cheapest to replace). :applause:

If you think the 3DS price drop was because it was a critical failure, what will you call the Vita one (if Sony is man enough to drop the price or will simply let it sell a few hundred a week to save-face)? The excuses are flying loud and fast here and the system hasn't even launched in America.

[quote name='GizmoGC']All this whining over iPhones/iPad etc. being touch...and yet the Vita has two touch screens.[/QUOTE]

And it has a full set of buttons.

There's a lot of dumb muthafuckas in this thread.

[quote name='GizmoGC']All this whining over iPhones/iPad etc. being touch...and yet the Vita has two touch screens.[/QUOTE]

What's your deal, man?

Are you on a personal crusade against the Vita? You've made it very loud and clear how you feel so why not just leave it at that. I know you're responding to other posts to a degree, but you seem to be instigating most of it.

We're all well educated on the system and are aware of past launches and trends of other systems. There's nothing you can say factually that's going to convince anyone to change their mind and the rest is just your opinion.

Why don't we wait and see how it plays out and then in six months maybe you can fly your "I told you so" flag in everyone's face.

[quote name='GizmoGC']PSP went through just as many revisions as the DS did. But you only felt bad about Nintendo doing it to you and not Sony? Gees, I guess when a $249 handheld does it and a $149 does it (launch price for both - cheapest versions BTW) you only feel screwed by the cheaper one (which makes no sense since it would be the cheapest to replace). :applause:

If you think the 3DS price drop was because it was a critical failure, what will you call the Vita one (if Sony is man enough to drop the price or will simply let it sell a few hundred a week to save-face)? The excuses are flying loud and fast here and the system hasn't even launched in America.[/QUOTE]

Many reversions yes but nothing what they made me feel when the DS Lite came out it made my original DS look and feel like shit compared to it. Sony never did that to me like that on PSP and later reversions. You as a owner of many systems should know that answer already. The price drop was a critical failure from alot of angles but i'm not here to debate the past. If you are from the future and know the same is going to happen to the Vita give me some lottery numbers lol.

[quote name='GizmoGC']It could sell 5 unit and sony fans would call it successful. When it's in last place, it's not successful.

If people won't pay $10 for an iPhone game, why would they pay $50 for a Vita?[/QUOTE]

PLEASE. SHUT. UP.

Your constant hatred and bashing of the Vita just for the hell of it is mind-blowing. We get it...you don't like the Vita, you aren't going to buy one, and every system in the world is better than Sony's new device. Your constant need to piss people off and prove your point regarding a device you don't even want/like is disgusting. I just think you can't accept that there are people that are actually looking forward to the system.

By your bat-shit crazy logic, cheapassgamer must not be a successful website since it isn't the website with the most traffic on the internet.

Vita will do just fine, just like the PSP did. With options like the 3DS, Vita, and touch devices, handheld gaming has never been any better.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']And it has a full set of buttons.

There's a lot of dumb muthafuckas in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Just set him to your ignore list and enjoy never having to read his posts full of ignorance again.

Pre-launch speculation is normal, but that's what the mall demos were about, and that's what the current social clubs that Sony is running are all about. Once you get a Vita in your hands and finally get the chance to see what it's made of for yourself, you'll definitely be convinced.

I understand the feelings behind the Vita and 3DS. I don't really think there's much of a comparison though. The target audiences for both consoles (and companies for that matter) are vastly different. Both consoles are trying to do different things to stand out.

Just because it wasn't as successful as pre-launch hype would have you think, the 3DS has been a hit amongst its target audience: People who want 3D gaming without glasses, and classic Nintendo franchise games. I didn't get one on launch day because I couldn't justify the price for what I was getting. That doesn't mean it's a bad console, it just wasn't for me at that point in time. I have one now after the price drop, and the addition of some highly regarded games. It's innovative, and risky.

The Vita will be no different. Sony is trying to corner the touch screen market by combining a PSP with interactive touch screens on both the front and back of the console. It has a quad core processor with some very impressive graphics. To my knowledge, that has never been done before in the gaming industry. It's innovative, and risky.

The difference between the 2 consoles, and companies, is game selection. For me, the Vita is my choice because it has the games that I want. That's not to say that Nintendo doesn't have the games I want, but the Vita's lineup appeals to me more.

/rant

[quote name='gettinmoney662']And it has a full set of buttons.

There's a lot of dumb muthafuckas in this thread.[/QUOTE]

So you can't respond intelligently, so you resort to call people dumb muthafuckas. :applause:

[quote name='Pend']Many reversions yes but nothing what they made me feel when the DS Lite came out it made my original DS look and feel like shit compared to it. Sony never did that to me like that on PSP and later reversions. You as a owner of many systems should know that answer already. The price drop was a critical failure from alot of angles but i'm not here to debate the past. If you are from the future and know the same is going to happen to the Vita give me some lottery numbers lol.[/QUOTE]

That's your opinion. The PSP Slim (or 2000) boasted many improvement like a better screen and IIRC, the ability to play games on the TV with a Component cable.

The DS Lite was simply lighter and smaller (much like the PSP). It also make GBA Games stick out while the original DS did not. So one could say the PSP Slim was a bigger change.

You don't need to debate with me how you think the 3DS was a critical failure. If you believe it to be, you must not think much of Sony who is launching at the same price that the 3DS was a 'critical failure', where they are currently in last place in the handheld market. That's got dumb written all over it.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']PLEASE. SHUT. UP.

Your constant hatred and bashing of the Vita just for the hell of it is mind-blowing. We get it...you don't like the Vita, you aren't going to buy one, and every system in the world is better than Sony's new device. Your constant need to piss people off and prove your point regarding a device you don't even want/like is disgusting. I just think you can't accept that there are people that are actually looking forward to the system.

By your bat-shit crazy logic, cheapassgamer must not be a successful website since it isn't the website with the most traffic on the internet.

Vita will do just fine, just like the PSP did. With options like the 3DS, Vita, and touch devices, handheld gaming has never been any better.

Just set him to your ignore list and enjoy never having to read his posts full of ignorance again.[/QUOTE]

Once again, if people can't discuss anything intelligently, why would you bother to respond? Is this not a discussion thread? Some here have no interest in the Vita and everyone is pointing at the 3DS that it's a failure. Yet it continues to sell in high numbers while the Vita has already bombed out in Japan selling less than the 7 year old PSP in a matter of weeks.

I'm sure someone will report me for being mean, so whatever. It's useless to have discussion anymore when people refuse to discuss and instead start attacking each other (hint: you)

[quote name='GizmoGC']So you can't respond intelligently, so you resort to call people dumb muthafuckas. :applause:[/QUOTE]

My intelligent response was the first sentence. You overlooking it is further proof that you are a dumb muthafucka. :applause::applause::applause:

bread's done
Back