One of those "I just got a PSP" threads...

2Fast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
My girlfriend just gave me a PSP for Christmas (she's going away in a day) and it's the core pack (I wasn't going to make her spend an extra $50, $200 is enough). What more do I really need?

Obviously I need a memory card and I suppose a USB connector? I haven't even picked up a PSP before so I have no clue what to do.

Also, could anyone recommend some software for ripping DVDs to put on the PSP? And what is a good size card for having at least one movie on it (and some game saves) at a time?

I really didn't want to post one of those "I just got a PSP..." threads, I'm sorry.

To rip them onto my computer I use DVD Decryter and to convert them to .MP4 I use Videora iPod converter. Not sure if Decrypter is still available because I heard you can't download it anymore for some reason, but Videora still is definitely.

Usually my DVDs tend to take up between 350 and 600 MBs depending on the length. I'm sure someone knows how to get them smaller, but if it were me I'd just go with a minimum of 1 gig, anything more than that is cool because you can have multiple movies on there. 512 would be cutting it close depending on how small you can get your movies.

I would suggest at the very least a 1GB card, if not a 2. Whenever Sony gets off their ass and starts letting you download the PS1 games directly to the PSP you'll be happy to have the space.

As for ripping, I think I used DVD Fab Decryptor and PSP Video 9. I ripped Constantine to about 650 MB and it played just fine. It'd be nice if Sony would support better video compression formats in a later release, but who knows what the future holds.

Good luck with your new system!

[quote name='2Fast']What more do I really need?
[/QUOTE]

Games.

Vice City Stories is ace... it's not worth $50, but it is mostly definitely worth $25 - $30.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I would suggest at the very least a 1GB card, if not a 2. Whenever Sony gets off their ass and starts letting you download the PS1 games directly to the PSP you'll be happy to have the space.

As for ripping, I think I used DVD Fab Decryptor and PSP Video 9. I ripped Constantine to about 650 MB and it played just fine. It'd be nice if Sony would support better video compression formats in a later release, but who knows what the future holds.

Good luck with your new system![/quote]

Totally forgot about the PS1 games. I think I'll probably go with a 2GB or so.

Thanks!

[quote name='Roufuss']Games.

Vice City Stories is ace... it's not worth $50, but it is mostly definitely worth $25 - $30.[/quote]

I have Twisted Metal: Head On already (scored it for free a while back) and am probably getting Metal Gear: Portable Ops, Tekken: DR, and maybe Mega Man Maverick Hunter X for Christmas. I might go out later tonight to get Metal Gear Acid 2 and/or a memory card (although I can get a better deal online I'm sure).

I will probably get VCS when it gets a price drop.

PSP games can take a bit of getting used to...because, simply put, the PSP controls suck. The analog nub is almost useless...I have yet to find someone who can hold the PSP and use the analog nub with any degree of accuracy, even with one of those larger pad-replacement nubs in place...its just an utterly awkward device to hold and use.

You can get Liberty City Stories for $19.99 new...I'd also recommend NFS: Most Wanted and Socom...they are all budget titles and all really well done.

Twisted Metal is ok but again, the controls kill me.....Wipeout is a good game if you like that kinda racing. And of course Ridge Racer for simple arcade racing.

[quote name='2Fast']
I will probably get VCS when it gets a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it'll probably go on sale for $30 again, can GGC it down to $25... that's what I did, and so far I've been loving it.

The rest of the games you listed are awesome, I am getting my Metal Gear tonight probably.

[quote name='Ebraum']Burnout is another good game, & you definatly need to get a protective case.[/quote]

Yeah I'll probably get the PlayGear Pocket sooner or later, it's only like $12 on Amazon right now.

Just downloaded DVDFab Decryptor and PSP Video 9, anything else I need to/should know about them, anything else that I need?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']You might want to try Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror.[/QUOTE]

I second that.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']You might want to try Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror.[/quote]

I'm going to wait for a price drop, I could never get into the earlier Syphon Filter games.

Actually if you have a K-Mart near you check out the K-Mart clearance thread in the CAG Deals section. You can score some sweet stuff for pennies on the dollar. SOCOM for $10, Ridge Race for (I think) $3, Darkstalkers Chronicles for $3.50 and a few more.

Definitely a 1-4gb memory stick, and scour the lands for some cheap clearance games. Plenty of good games can be had for $5-10... Hot Shots, Lumines, Ridge Racer, etc. Either of the GTAs are well worth it also, just look out for a deal in the ads.

As a new psp owner myself I think sooner then later you will find out you will need some sort of extra battery if you plan on playing unplugged for too loong... Im still researching the options maybe someone else can recomend ?

bread's done
Back