Onechanbara - Bikini Samurai Squad $10.00 Wal-Mart ymmv...

rybrammer

CAGiversary!
:360: Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad was on an end cap in the electronics section at the 96th/I69 Wal-Mart in Indianapolis. YMMV as I have not been to other stores to confirm in the area. They had tons of copies, probably at least ten or more left.

This game isnt for everyone, but hack/slash and zombie fans will enjoy. This is the cheapest I have seen this game at an actual store so I picked up a copy. If you like games like Ninety Nine Nights II, any Dynasty Warriors games you should enjoy this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strayl1ght']thanks for nothing...

worst game ever produced possibly.

$1.00 is 110% too much for this garbage.[/QUOTE]

haha....like I said its not for everyone. :bouncy:

I will check my walmart tonight too. I have a $5 GC that they mailed out a month ago so spending $5 for the game doesn't sound too bad.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I liked it. I'm a fan of dynasty warriors though. I'll check my walmarts in evansville tonight. I like it but 10 is about the most I'd spend for it.[/QUOTE]

Update: The Greenfield, Indiana Wal-Mart does not have it (not that it matters). Seems like the 96th st Wal-Mart had tons of more inventory with multiple game displays. Other titles with Onechanbara were Fracture, Thrillville, and Riddick (all 15.00).

[quote name='mivan83']I'd be embarrassed to buy this from someone, even at wal-mart[/QUOTE]

I actually got in a line with a very old lady:oldman: working the express checkout line. No prob.

[quote name='mivan83']I'd be embarrassed to buy this from someone, even at wal-mart[/QUOTE]

Haha. I got this for $10 at Wal-Mart a few months back and the clerk was looking at the case going "What's this?". He looked like the type that would want the game just because of the girls too. :D

[quote name='Killbomb']Haha. I got this for $10 at Wal-Mart a few months back and the clerk was looking at the case going "What's this?". He looked like the type that would want the game just because of the girls too. :D[/QUOTE]

Thats great. This game is kind of ridiculous. I can't imagine what its sales numbers are in the US, probably abysmal.

very mindless fun. I didnt mind it, it has that "you kinda giggle its so over the top" gameplay, not even remotly new, and quite repetative, but later in game there is some challange. I was frustrated with the "blood" monsters? you have to use timed button mashing to kill them. They posed no threat at all, just an exercise in timed button mashing. You miss, you just do it again... bad bad design.

$10... hmm I paid that on ebay awhile ago.. and was on the fence.. not sure what to say. Girls in bikinis and swords, its not hamlet..... If you expect some deep gameplay, errr.. this is not the game, and you may need to reevalute how you judge games, the cover and title alone should have pretty much made it clear what type of game this was.

worst game ever produced possibly.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon "for PS2 and XBox has it beat in my opinion.

Bullet Witch, nuff' said.

[quote name='limelight022']This game just screams "X-Blades", which was a complete piece of shit in every possible way.[/QUOTE]

I got x-blades for free from bestbuy, played it, and hated it so much that I felt ashamed for trying that garbage at all. Great $18 credit at gamecrazy though.

bullet witch, x-blades; poor controls, shit animation, low low production value. they make indie games look good.

edit: if you don't like One BSS, TRU is currently giving $9 in credit, so small loss.

edit 2: if you must have digital hoes or nudity, get Saboteur and download the midnight show. thank me later.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Bullet Witch, nuff' said.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I definitely think Bulletwitch is worse than O:BSS. X-Blades is no picnic either but I think it's a bit better than BSS.

I actually... haven't played the game. Regardless of my first comment.

But is it good for a quick laugh? Can you eke any fun out of the game whatsoever, and is it - possible exaggeration coming - virtually unplayable?

The game seems so dumb it just might work. I'm just wondering if it does absolutely anything that sets it apart in the field.

Edit: Oh look, they made a movie too:

770949-oneechanbara_poster_super.jpg

Screw it, maybe I'll get that instead. :lol:

Me thinks thou hast never played Superman 64... worst rental ever. Though I was still in elementary when i played it...

[quote name='Izod517']Your memory serves you well Superman 64 is widely known as one of the WORST games ever made... EVER.[/QUOTE]

Superman Returns on current gen must have been the true sequel to that then..could anybody make it past 30 minutes of doing the same fighting over and over again?..and I'll be damned if I could master flying thru all the ring courses on par.

Whatever. I have this one AND the one for the Wii; both games are laughably bad, but they're also great Japanese weirdness. Frankly, that's why I got them -- I can't even believe these two games (and the movie) made it to the States. I figured it'd never happen again, so I had to try them.

Listen, if you're actually playing these thinking you're going to get high production and crazy gameplay, then you're clueless. These games are supposed to be flat-out weird, and if you appreciate it for the crazy Japanese factor, they can be fun on occasional play.

I've said this before, but of all the reviews, I think the only one that got it right was 1UP.com. I've copied and pasted it below.

BTW, the movie is also crazy awesome. It's campy -- and it doesn't overkill the fact that the protagonist is walking around in a bikini fighting zombies. That it actually takes itself seriously is what makes it extra ridiculous. Worth a watch.

---------------------------

1UP.com Reviews
It's brutally stupid, but there's enough game to keep you going for a few days.
By Scott Sharkey 02/20/2009

Score: B

Onechanbara is one of those titles that could have used, well, a better title. In Japanese, sure, it means something like Big Sister Sword Fighting, but even that isn't saying much, and nobody this side of the big wet thing is going to know what the hell it is. Mostly it just looks like the only word I have the letters for when I'm losing in Scrabble. Giving it the subtitle "Bikini Zombie Squad" is a step in the right direction, but I half wish they'd just gone all the way and called it "Underpants Zombie Killfest: Bloody Jubblies."

Of course, you have to suspect the thing of pandering to that loathsome lowest common denominator. Putting random tits into a genre is the kind of thing that got us Hooters: Road Trip, after all. But then again, there's something to be said for the lowest common denominator. They like beer and cars, but just because their interests tend toward Natty Ice and Nascar doesn't mean we should write off scotch ale and driving an Astin Martin down highway one. Underneath what seems like desperate sexploitation, "Bikini Zombie Killorgy: Crimson Tatas" is a passable little kill-shitloads-of-zombies-and-collect-glowing-orbs action game. And there's even some character customization with sexy dress-up options thrown in for anyone who likes to play with Barbies while they're cutting up thousands of undead guys.

Click the image above to check out all Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad screens.

I have a significantly less-than-secret love for D3 and their Simple 2000 series. Mostly because once they got past making straight up budget genre crap like The Tank and The Shooting they moved on to insane genre fusions like survival horror bass fishing, survival horror dating sim, and survival horror ambulance driving. Hell, they were responsible for Earth Defense Force -- a game entirely predicated upon blowing up thousands of ants, spiders, buildings, and anything else I've ever felt like screwing the hell up with a rocket launcher. They've been cheap, they've been dirty, and they've been games where I could write a laundry list of their shortcomings if I cared to. I don't, however because at the heart of them they've been about one thing: doing something stupid that I want to do. Hell, "Undead Undressed: Fuku fucking Funfest" has a hot blonde girl running around wearing nothing but her lingerie and a gun belt, splashing barefoot through puddles of zombie guts. Throw in some Van Halen and a motorcycle and it's pretty much the picture of my middle school wet dreams. Actually, it has a motorcycle, so it's five sixths of the way there.

Yeah, it has its weak spots. The plot is vapid nonsense that's actually worse than throwing a bunch of girls in their underpants into a zombie killing spree with no excuse at all. The unlockable costume parts depend on repetitive bullshit that you wouldn't go through the trouble of doing even if the game had the grace to tell you what you had to do beforehand. The translation is an absolute mess -- I know that people get a little crazy naming their kids these days, but I've yet to see anyone who has named a girl Annna with three Ns. And the gameplay consists of killing literally thousands of nearly identical undead shamblers with the occasional not-very-hard boss fight. But, you know, I like killing thousands of staggering, rotting idiots. I'll do it for hours just for the sheer, stupid glee of it. Doing it while giggling at the ridiculous breast physics of a chick wearing a straw hat, a feather boa, and a bikini is just gravy at that point.

Click the image above to check out all Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad screens.

Then there's the plain weirdity of it. Admittedly, women are damn scary things, and they're prone to occasionally bleeding all over the place and flipping out and killing everything nearby. I've never seen this kind of gynophobia taken so literally before, though. The protagonists of this game, when their flashing red killcrazy meter fills up, begin bleeding from every part of their bodies, which somehow enables them to turn into rampaging engines of destruction. The bare-bones manual offers no explanation for this. The first time it happens you'll be reaching for your copy of "Are You There, God? It's Me, Bikini Zombie Killchick." The second through five-hundredth time, you'll just be thinking that the people responsible must have serious goddamn girlfriend issues. And you probably will, too, if you ever let her see you playing this thing.

So yeah, it's stupid. It's brutally stupid, to be honest. But "Underpants Deadguy Cutters: Ultimate Tittykill" has enough game to keep you going for a few days, and it sells for twenty bucks less than usual. Honestly, I don't know why big breasted women wading through gallons of blood took so long to get to America.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Whatever. I have this one AND the one for the Wii; both games are laughably bad, but they're also great Japanese weirdness. Frankly, that's why I got them -- I can't even believe these two games (and the movie) made it to the States. I figured it'd never happen again, so I had to try them.

Listen, if you're actually playing these thinking you're going to get high production and crazy gameplay, then you're clueless. These games are supposed to be flat-out weird, and if you appreciate it for the crazy Japanese factor, they can be fun on occasional play.

I've said this before, but of all the reviews, I think the only one that got it right was 1UP.com. I've copied and pasted it below.

BTW, the movie is also crazy awesome. It's campy -- and it doesn't overkill the fact that the protagonist is walking around in a bikini fighting zombies. That it actually takes itself seriously is what makes it extra ridiculous. Worth a watch.

---------------------------

1UP.com Reviews
It's brutally stupid, but there's enough game to keep you going for a few days.
By Scott Sharkey 02/20/2009

Score: B

Onechanbara is one of those titles that could have used, well, a better title. In Japanese, sure, it means something like Big Sister Sword Fighting, but even that isn't saying much, and nobody this side of the big wet thing is going to know what the hell it is. Mostly it just looks like the only word I have the letters for when I'm losing in Scrabble. Giving it the subtitle "Bikini Zombie Squad" is a step in the right direction, but I half wish they'd just gone all the way and called it "Underpants Zombie Killfest: Bloody Jubblies."

Of course, you have to suspect the thing of pandering to that loathsome lowest common denominator. Putting random tits into a genre is the kind of thing that got us Hooters: Road Trip, after all. But then again, there's something to be said for the lowest common denominator. They like beer and cars, but just because their interests tend toward Natty Ice and Nascar doesn't mean we should write off scotch ale and driving an Astin Martin down highway one. Underneath what seems like desperate sexploitation, "Bikini Zombie Killorgy: Crimson Tatas" is a passable little kill-shitloads-of-zombies-and-collect-glowing-orbs action game. And there's even some character customization with sexy dress-up options thrown in for anyone who likes to play with Barbies while they're cutting up thousands of undead guys.

I have a significantly less-than-secret love for D3 and their Simple 2000 series. Mostly because once they got past making straight up budget genre crap like The Tank and The Shooting they moved on to insane genre fusions like survival horror bass fishing, survival horror dating sim, and survival horror ambulance driving. Hell, they were responsible for Earth Defense Force -- a game entirely predicated upon blowing up thousands of ants, spiders, buildings, and anything else I've ever felt like screwing the hell up with a rocket launcher. They've been cheap, they've been dirty, and they've been games where I could write a laundry list of their shortcomings if I cared to. I don't, however because at the heart of them they've been about one thing: doing something stupid that I want to do. Hell, "Undead Undressed: Fuku fucking Funfest" has a hot blonde girl running around wearing nothing but her lingerie and a gun belt, splashing barefoot through puddles of zombie guts. Throw in some Van Halen and a motorcycle and it's pretty much the picture of my middle school wet dreams. Actually, it has a motorcycle, so it's five sixths of the way there.

Yeah, it has its weak spots. The plot is vapid nonsense that's actually worse than throwing a bunch of girls in their underpants into a zombie killing spree with no excuse at all. The unlockable costume parts depend on repetitive bullshit that you wouldn't go through the trouble of doing even if the game had the grace to tell you what you had to do beforehand. The translation is an absolute mess -- I know that people get a little crazy naming their kids these days, but I've yet to see anyone who has named a girl Annna with three Ns. And the gameplay consists of killing literally thousands of nearly identical undead shamblers with the occasional not-very-hard boss fight. But, you know, I like killing thousands of staggering, rotting idiots. I'll do it for hours just for the sheer, stupid glee of it. Doing it while giggling at the ridiculous breast physics of a chick wearing a straw hat, a feather boa, and a bikini is just gravy at that point.

Then there's the plain weirdity of it. Admittedly, women are damn scary things, and they're prone to occasionally bleeding all over the place and flipping out and killing everything nearby. I've never seen this kind of gynophobia taken so literally before, though. The protagonists of this game, when their flashing red killcrazy meter fills up, begin bleeding from every part of their bodies, which somehow enables them to turn into rampaging engines of destruction. The bare-bones manual offers no explanation for this. The first time it happens you'll be reaching for your copy of "Are You There, God? It's Me, Bikini Zombie Killchick." The second through five-hundredth time, you'll just be thinking that the people responsible must have serious goddamn girlfriend issues. And you probably will, too, if you ever let her see you playing this thing.

So yeah, it's stupid. It's brutally stupid, to be honest. But "Underpants Deadguy Cutters: Ultimate Tittykill" has enough game to keep you going for a few days, and it sells for twenty bucks less than usual. Honestly, I don't know why big breasted women wading through gallons of blood took so long to get to America.[/QUOTE]

Good find on the review. Im actually about halfway through the campaign now and can say that this review definitely sums it up. There is a guide that is available for free from D3 that is online, just search for it on google. It helps with all the quests and things that need accomplished in the game for achievements, and adds just a little sense to the whole thing that is this very weird game.

[quote name='yarkitty123']I actually... haven't played the game. Regardless of my first comment.

But is it good for a quick laugh? Can you eke any fun out of the game whatsoever, and is it - possible exaggeration coming - virtually unplayable?

The game seems so dumb it just might work. I'm just wondering if it does absolutely anything that sets it apart in the field.

Edit: Oh look, they made a movie too:

770949-oneechanbara_poster_super.jpg

Screw it, maybe I'll get that instead. :lol:[/QUOTE]

If you like killing lots of zombies with both simple and complex combos its worth playing. I'm actually set out to get 1000GS in this game, if its the last damn thing I do :twisted:

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I got x-blades for free from bestbuy, played it, and hated it so much that I felt ashamed for trying that garbage at all. Great $18 credit at gamecrazy though.

bullet witch, x-blades; poor controls, shit animation, low low production value. they make indie games look good.

edit: if you don't like One BSS, TRU is currently giving $9 in credit, so small loss.

edit 2: if you must have digital hoes or nudity, get Saboteur and download the midnight show. thank me later.[/QUOTE]

is Saboteur anygood?

I played through this earlier this year. Make no mistake about it, it's not a good game technically. However, neither was Earth Defense Force 2017. While EDF2017 is easily the better of the two, Onechanbara is still serviceable as long as you know that what you're getting into. It's a scantily-clad, Dynasty Warriors-styled, zombie slashing game with dumber-than-normal zombie A.I., a convoluted story, repeatedly rehashed levels, costume unlocks tied to a "Quest" system that can be more difficult than it should be, a leveling-up system that isn't that bad, a zombie Killer Whale boss fight, and a pretty long "Survival" mode. If you can appreciate EDF2017 for being a Japanese B-movie monster invasion game, you MIGHT be able to appreciate Onechanbara for being an over-sexed Japanese B-movie zombie game. I enjoyed it--not nearly as much as EDF2017(a game I've put north of 80 hours into)--but for $14 I felt I got my money's worth out of it. You can do FAR worse.

I checked out the South Austin stores in Texas. None of them could find copies of this. I was going to try a few other stores but each time i called it took 10 minutes for them not to find the game. It would be so much easier if they just left the game on their website and let us know what stores had it.

I'm just wondering how well the game controls on the Wii. I've never played what is considered a "bad" game on it, so I wouldn't know just how poor it controls -- though if this one IGN (*snicker*) review is correct, it controls from decent to terrible, which might be a little bit of a problem for me, considering I get pretty miffed when games with supposedly "perfect" controls hit even the tiniest of snags. I don't even know why I'm still mulling this over...."scantily-clad" and "Dynasty Warrior-styled" works for me (I don't really care about zombies though, but... scantily-clad!!!), this kind of seems to be the sort of crazy, off-the-wall Japanese stuff that I like. Just... not sure if this controls well on the Wii.

A zombie killer whale...very tempting.

This is a great game if you're smart enough to realize that it is a low budget beat em up. Seriously, I doubt most people whining in here have even played it.

[quote name='yarkitty123']I'm just wondering how well the game controls on the Wii. I've never played what is considered a "bad" game on it, so I wouldn't know just how poor it controls -- though if this one IGN (*snicker*) review is correct, it controls from decent to terrible, which might be a little bit of a problem for me, considering I get pretty miffed when games with supposedly "perfect" controls hit even the tiniest of snags. I don't even know why I'm still mulling this over...."scantily-clad" and "Dynasty Warrior-styled" works for me (I don't really care about zombies though, but... scantily-clad!!!), this kind of seems to be the sort of crazy, off-the-wall Japanese stuff that I like. Just... not sure if this controls well on the Wii.

A zombie killer whale...very tempting.[/QUOTE]

My only problem with the wii version was the camera, you are constantly moving that thing and trying to aim at the same time. The 360 game though has a better story to it and the controls are not as bad. I dont understand the hate for this game, there are a lot worse games out there than this.

The movie isnt half bad either, a good rental from netflix but I dont think you can stream this oscar nominated film yet.

[quote name='gindias']My only problem with the wii version was the camera, you are constantly moving that thing and trying to aim at the same time. The 360 game though has a better story to it and the controls are not as bad. I dont understand the hate for this game, there are a lot worse games out there than this.

The movie isnt half bad either, a good rental from netflix but I dont think you can stream this oscar nominated film yet.[/QUOTE]

The Wii version also could have done with classic controls. The fact that you have to jiggle the controller to make her swing is ridiculously tiring after a while.

Then again, may be all that jerking was ... ah, nevemind.

[quote name='rybrammer']is Saboteur anygood?[/QUOTE]

Yes, myself and many others who picked it up cheap from EA.com's sales earlier this year really liked it.
Seemed like most agreed that it got bum deal by most reviewers looking to check out for the holidays and thinking about/replaying all the game of the years and also being lost in the holiday shuffle due to coming out out so late. (Dec.)

[quote name='gindias']My only problem with the wii version was the camera, you are constantly moving that thing and trying to aim at the same time. The 360 game though has a better story to it and the controls are not as bad. I dont understand the hate for this game, there are a lot worse games out there than this.

The movie isnt half bad either, a good rental from netflix but I dont think you can stream this oscar nominated film yet.[/QUOTE]

I actually preferred the Wii version, but considering that I enjoyed these games (and the movie) at all, what the hell do I know? It's certainly not the worst game ever produced, though.

bread's done
Back