OnLive: Free Microconsole with Duke Nukem Forever pre-order

sav2880

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Okay, debate the virtues of using OnLive all you want ... and debate the virtues of a game that should've come out 12 years ago like Duke Nukem Forever all you want. But, I just got an email saying that if I pre-order Duke Nukem Forever, I get the normally $99 microconsole for free.

It's also now front and center on their webpage too, so just go to onlive.com to check it out.

(Transmission out, debate away!)

Terrific deal. Already have a MC though and I got all the games I wanted during the 75% Easter sale.

I did this with Red Faction and sold the microconsole on ebay. Ended up getting the game for free. I'll probably do the same with this.

[quote name='GoreObsessed']So if I was to get a microconsole I just connect my ethernet cable or wi-fi to the console and thats it? I can start playing?[/QUOTE]
yup

[quote name='buckythekat']but would you be able to activate it on Steam? DNF is a Steamworks game after all[/QUOTE]

Seems doubtful. You can't do that with Onlive versions Homefront or Metro 2033; both are Steamworks titles.

[quote name='buckythekat']but would you be able to activate it on Steam? DNF is a Steamworks game after all[/QUOTE]

OnLive is technically a "console." The games made on it thus wouldn't technically be considered PC games (and thus would not activate on Steam). The PC version of OnLive is merely the medium used to access the OnLive "console."

I may jump on this deal though. I'm sure the console would make a pretty decent b-day/xmas present, so I might do that.

[quote name='MacbethVII']I did this with Red Faction and sold the microconsole on ebay. Ended up getting the game for free. I'll probably do the same with this.[/QUOTE]

"*Purchase a Full PlayPass for “Duke Nukem Forever” until June 13, 2011 (9:00PM PDT) and receive an email with directions to claim either a free OnLive Game System OR a free Full PlayPass to any game." Looks like you can just get a free game if that your kinda of thing.

Im tempted to bite on this if my bidding on a onlive console on eBay falls through. My concern is that the upstream required to use this will be greater then my connection has. I have 500k upstream, 200k of which Vonage uses. I may upgrade my plan which would solve this.

Since it's a console, I am assuming the overall quality would be less than that on PC.

I am looking more towards PC gaming later down the road, because a gaming PC isn't in my budget anytime soon. I am just wondering if this would be good, or just hold out for the full PC.

Any insight would be appreciated, TIA

[quote name='Darknuke']OnLive is technically a "console." The games made on it thus wouldn't technically be considered PC games (and thus would not activate on Steam). The PC version of OnLive is merely the medium used to access the OnLive "console."

I may jump on this deal though. I'm sure the console would make a pretty decent b-day/xmas present, so I might do that.[/QUOTE]

Uh what?
You can use OnLive to play games on your PC as well. Technically it's a *cloud* based system.

If I were to give my brother a spare console could he access my account or can you only attach an account to one system OR would it bump the other person off whenever they were playing.

You can only be signed into an account in one location, but you can use any account you want on the service. IE: He could access your account if you're not on it, but if he gets his own account he can use it on his console. If he logs in as you and you're on, it'll boot you.

I actually just published a review for the microconsole a few days ago if you guys wanna read it.

http://www.gamingogre.com/pc/hardware-review-onlive-micro-console/

It's a solid piece of hardware.

[quote name='Darknuke']OnLive is technically a "console." The games made on it thus wouldn't technically be considered PC games (and thus would not activate on Steam). The PC version of OnLive is merely the medium used to access the OnLive "console."

I may jump on this deal though. I'm sure the console would make a pretty decent b-day/xmas present, so I might do that.[/QUOTE]

The games are PC versions of games running on their servers. The game may not be running on your PC but it's still running on a computer somewhere.

Anyone actually try out the microconsole or controller? I've only seen reviews of the PC software, and I've been a free member since day one, but only on a wireless connection. I'm curious how the console holds up when on a wired connection, or how the controller feels for that matter.

[quote name='stavros45']Anyone actually try out the microconsole or controller? I've only seen reviews of the PC software, and I've been a free member since day one, but only on a wireless connection. I'm curious how the console holds up when on a wired connection, or how the controller feels for that matter.[/QUOTE]

Look about three posts before yours, I posted a link to my review of the console itself.

[quote name='xilly']Look about three posts before yours, I posted a link to my review of the console itself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, must have missed it scrolling through the posts. Just checked out the review, and definitely sounds worth a shot for a few bucks.

I installed the pc program and it is pretty damn good, I love being able to jump in and watch others games. And for 9.99 a month for a ton of games like netflix instant streaming I am really considering this. I'm just wondering how well the gamepad does with a pc game. I assume the game would be playing in gamepad mode like if you used the 360 controller on the pc. I'm kind of curious how something like titans quest (Diablo type isometric click fest) would play with a controller.

Not all games support the gamepad. A lot of the PC only games dont and bizarrely some of the console ones like Hitman dont even work with the gamepad. The system is a great deal though. I've bought a ton of games since I got it free with the Homefront promo and havent ever spent more than 5 bucks or so for a game.

[quote name='xilly']You can only be signed into an account in one location, but you can use any account you want on the service. IE: He could access your account if you're not on it, but if he gets his own account he can use it on his console. If he logs in as you and you're on, it'll boot you.

I actually just published a review for the microconsole a few days ago if you guys wanna read it.

http://www.gamingogre.com/pc/hardware-review-onlive-micro-console/

It's a solid piece of hardware.[/QUOTE]

Read your review and no wireless clinches it for me. No microconsole for me. They should have added it for people who have insane down speeds like I do and would still get good speeds through wifi. I have 20mbps connection and can easially get 10 or 12 out of wireless which is way more than enough for the fastest streaming this needs

The onlive site does say that it does have wifi though.

Nevermind, they tell you to get an wireless bridge, ewww, forget that. Had they added wifi to this I would be on it in a moment. Sad really that they didn't add something that would have been so easy to add.

[quote name='MacbethVII']Not all games support the gamepad. A lot of the PC only games dont and bizarrely some of the console ones like Hitman dont even work with the gamepad. The system is a great deal though. I've bought a ton of games since I got it free with the Homefront promo and havent ever spent more than 5 bucks or so for a game.[/QUOTE]

Well that kind of takes the whole point out of having this hooked up to my tv in the living room if I have to run a keyboard and mouse across my floor. If I wanted to do that then I would just sub to the service and use my second crap pc hooked up to my hdtv through hdmi.

Just a heads up for anyone jumping on this deal, they frequently do a lot of specials on games.

$5 games on Fridays and random deals for holidays (ex. Easter they gave out 75% codes for any game on twitter).

bread's done
Back