OnLive Game Service

bungletrpg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I got this today.
Hi xxxxx,

Congratulations, your pre-registration for the OnLive Game Service has qualified you to receive a special offer! You originally signed up to receive three months of free membership to the OnLive Game Service, but we are pleased to provide you with an even better limited time offer:

By completing your registration now and joining us as a launch member, you're eligible to receive ONE YEAR FREE membership to the OnLive Game Service, plus ONE FREE GAME of your choice*, with no commitment for further spending. This registration is only open through June 3rd, 2010, so act quickly!

Follow the link below to begin your registration.

Click here to Register

If the above link doesn't work, please copy and paste the following into your browser: xxxxx

After launch on June 17th, we'll begin activating the accounts of OnLive's launch members. You'll be notified by email when your account is activated and you can sign in and start playing games on the OnLive Game Service!

NOTE: To complete registration, OnLive requires a valid credit card to verify, without charging the card, that you're over 18.

Thanks and we look forward to meeting all of you soon!

*For complete offer details and recommended computer and Internet connection for using OnLive, please see the registration website above. This is a personal offer for pre-registered launch members only and is not transferable. If you are not xxxxx, we apologize that this email has been misdirected to you. Please disregard it.

OnLive Member Services

Questions? Please email us at [email protected].
If [email protected] should not be subscribed or if you need to change your subscription information for OnLive, Inc., please use this preferences page.
OnLive, Inc. 181 Lytton Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301, 1-888-ONLIVE-5
I signed up for this a couple months ago. I'm pretty excited about it and hoping it works on my computer, since it has no video card and I can't play games any other way on this thing. :p
Has anyone else gotten this?

I signed up for it maybe a year ago, and received the same email as the op, I figure I may as well give it a try, as its no cost unless I want to purchase more games.

I was going to check into this but now that I know you pay for the games and pay for the service I wont. However if I some how get into the beta I will give it a shot. I have been signed up for about a year but have not got an email about it.

Also, don't forget the network connections as well. Since they are sending you game feedback constantly, I don't know how it's going to work to be honest. Would love to see some videos on it though when it does come out.

In regards to game purchases, I understood that you would get a serial code. That way, you still own the game even discontinuing service.

Never got an invite but did sign up long ago (junk mail missed it maybe). Free year and game seems ok. But the thing i find funny is the lack of info. There website is horrible, 5-6 games listed and nothing else. And reviews are hard to find. Most (unofficial) revies aor web based news state 6-12 games at launch. 5-6 data centers. You need to be 1000 miles from one. Low res (it is basicly streaming a movie to you). I would suggest a test of Netflix, if you can stream at full speed from them , you might get ok performance. From what i see the resolution is about on par for 10 years ago, so if your used to 2560x1600 of a 30" your going to be a bit disapointed, heck the 1280X1024 crowd is maybe going to frown on this. Looks like 1,280x720 is going to be the "standard" with 1,920x1,080 chalked up as "when more bandwidth becomes availble. What does that mean? The internet gets faster, or my personal machine connection or their connection?

the pros are the set top box and TV it should look "ok" and as its PC based alot of Console users might get there first taste of PC gameing. bad news is most PC games are made for keyboard and mouse and are "normaly" harder then their console counterparts, does this box allow keyboards and mice? ( i would guess it does) but that sorta negates the couch play sessions.

So many GIANT question marks and so little info. Free is free, even its only a short period. Hope some of you guys give us lots of feedback when it starts up in 10 days...

[quote name='clok1966']Never got an invite but did sign up long ago (junk mail missed it maybe). Free year and game seems ok. But the thing i find funny is the lack of info. There website is horrible, 5-6 games listed and nothing else. And reviews are hard to find. Most (unofficial) revies aor web based news state 6-12 games at launch. 5-6 data centers. You need to be 1000 miles from one. Low res (it is basicly streaming a movie to you). I would suggest a test of Netflix, if you can stream at full speed from them , you might get ok performance. From what i see the resolution is about on par for 10 years ago, so if your used to 2560x1600 of a 30" your going to be a bit disapointed, heck the 1280X1024 crowd is maybe going to frown on this. Looks like 1,280x720 is going to be the "standard" with 1,920x1,080 chalked up as "when more bandwidth becomes availble. What does that mean? The internet gets faster, or my personal machine connection or their connection?

the pros are the set top box and TV it should look "ok" and as its PC based alot of Console users might get there first taste of PC gameing. bad news is most PC games are made for keyboard and mouse and are "normaly" harder then their console counterparts, does this box allow keyboards and mice? ( i would guess it does) but that sorta negates the couch play sessions.

So many GIANT question marks and so little info. Free is free, even its only a short period. Hope some of you guys give us lots of feedback when it starts up in 10 days...[/QUOTE]

From what I saw of the little tv box, it should support keyboard and mouse. We'll see how it goes.

i do have concerns with the bandwith too. I'm on comcast and i have a 250 gig cap a month, so i'd like to know how much this uses.

So I got into their waiting list and got picked from it. Sign up and go to use my free game. There are like 12 games, and I own 8 of them. I have 30 days to use my free game code. Maybe something will magically appear between now and then.

Its glitchy. I owned most the games also but got Borderlands because I sold it on 360 and never finished it. I played maybe 2 hours and twice I had to exit out and reload the game because it seems like a button gets stuck on the server. My character kept walking in one direction when I wasn't holding anything and it would happen midgame.

The only two I'm considering is Assassin's Creed II or Lego Harry Potter. Not a fan of Harry Potter but the Lego games have been surprisingly fun. No, I'm not 12 but I'll be damned if they aren't fun. The Assassin's Creed II I'm not super interested in and the Lego game just seems like a waste.

[quote name='jp0213']The only two I'm considering is Assassin's Creed II or Lego Harry Potter. Not a fan of Harry Potter but the Lego games have been surprisingly fun. No, I'm not 12 but I'll be damned if they aren't fun. The Assassin's Creed II I'm not super interested in and the Lego game just seems like a waste.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about the PC version but I loved AC2. I'd say it's worth a go for sure.

I know this sounds stupid but I really don't like the idea of giving Ubisoft any money for that game because of that garbage DRM.

[quote name='jp0213']I know this sounds stupid but I really don't like the idea of giving Ubisoft any money for that game because of that garbage DRM.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't sound stupid. I've passed on quite a few games because of shitty DRM.

I'm normally not that guy when it comes to DRM. People refuse to buy anything with SecurRom or has activation limits. I'm not that picky because almost every game that has activation limits now have de-auth tools. Would I prefer that crap not be there? Yeah. Is it going to keep me from purchasing? No. However, the always live Ubisoft crap is stupid. What if you want to play offline? Moving and wont have internet for a few weeks? Well there goes that game. Just stupid. So out of all the games there, if I take out the Ubisoft games like that and all the games I own, there are 3 games for me 3 games for me to choose from. Guess Harry Potter Lego will be my free game.

[quote name='jp0213']So I got into their waiting list and got picked from it. Sign up and go to use my free game. There are like 12 games, and I own 8 of them. I have 30 days to use my free game code. Maybe something will magically appear between now and then.[/QUOTE]
I just received my invitation too. I hate the concept, but for free, I'll give it a try. How did you get your free game code?

[quote name='mogamer']I just received my invitation too. I hate the concept, but for free, I'll give it a try. How did you get your free game code?[/QUOTE]
My code for the free game was in the email I got this morning:

Hi XXXXXX,

Congratulations! You have been selected from the wait-list for membership activation and immediate access to the OnLive Game Service.

Click on the one-time-use URL below to begin the OnLive Founding Members Program registration process. Upon completing registration, you will receive 12 months of free access* to the OnLive Game Service on your PC or Mac via a wired broadband connection with the option to continue your membership for a second year at $4.95/month on a month-to-month basis. Note that a valid US credit card will be required to confirm you are at least 18 years of age, and will be used for any purchases within OnLive.

Also, for being one of the first registrants to the Founding Members Program, you are receiving a FREE game coupon code which you can use towards the purchase of a game of your choosing on the OnLive Game Service. Thank you again for your enthusiastic support of OnLive!

Your coupon code for one (1) free game** is "XXXXXXXX". Enter this coupon code in OnLive's "Confirm PlayPass Purchase" screen by selecting the "Apply Promo Code" button and entering your code. You can use this coupon code on any one Full PlayPass purchase within 30 days of today.

I didn't get the part about being one of the first registrants in my email. So I guess I won't be getting a code. Oh well, I guess I can still try the demos or rent games.

Wierd thing is, I didn't sign up for the on-live service information until last week so I doubt I was one of the first. Not going to complain though.

OK, here is a mini-review I posted in the other Onlive thread.

Put me down as another one who is impressed. I played the demo for Batman: AA. I already have the pc and Xbox 360 versions and wanted to compare. It doesn't look as good as it does on my gaming pc. It does look pretty close to the 360 version though. The textures just didn't look quite right, although the resolution was nice. The demo was played on my wife's pc. The mouse was a little laggy on the Onlive version.

My test tv is a Olevia 37" lcd @ 1360 x 768. My gaming rig is a C2D E6400 (2.13 ghz), 3 gig 800 mhz ram and a 1 gb GT240 GDDR5 video card running XP SP3. My wife's pc has an Athlon X2 4400+ (2.3 ghz), 4 gig 800 mhz ram and integrated 128 mb x1250 video running 32 bit Vista Ultimate SP2. I ran all three machines through the vga port. My internet is 6 mb service through ATT Uverse.

I'm kinda worried though. If they can do this now, the era of no longer owning games is right around the corner.

After thinking about it. I guess the era of not owning games isn't right around the corner. But it is dangerously close. :cry:

[quote name='mogamer']I didn't get the part about being one of the first registrants in my email. So I guess I won't be getting a code. Oh well, I guess I can still try the demos or rent games.[/QUOTE]

Well, I sent support an email asking about the free game code after I posted this. They replied yesterday saying that I wouldn't be getting one. Damn, that was the only reason why I signed up. I'm certainly not going to "buy" games under this kind of scheme.

I tried it and liked it but had major lag because comcast in my area likes to throttle me, i have their highest tier and its fast as hell but they throttle the bejesus out of me

Anyone been able to get a xbox360 controller to work with OnLive? To add another layer... anyone got it to work through a Mac? I've been trying and they say it is supported but no luck when I tried. Been trying to use it with Red Faction: Guerrilla. Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='faceturd']Anyone been able to get a xbox360 controller to work with OnLive? To add another layer... anyone got it to work through a Mac? I've been trying and they say it is supported but no luck when I tried. Been trying to use it with Red Faction: Guerrilla. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I stopped trying to use native support for controllers. I just keep the game or services on Keyboard setting then use Joy2Key to manage my gamepad.

I tried Onlive for a few hours then handed it off to a friend. It worked 100% with all of my gamepads and works 100% with his X-Box 360 but he uses Joy2key also.

I don't know why your controller wouldn't work, the computer should automatically recognize it. All I had to do with mine was turn on the controller,sync,change the input method to gamepad in the RFG pause menu and it worked fine. Do you have any other games that you could test it on outside of OnLive?

I quickly tested it through steam using portal with no luck. I previously had the third-party programs gamepad companion and xbox controller installed and thought they may get in the way so I uninstalled them (though their test configuration recognized the wireless gamepad so it seems to be working somewhat). I guess I'll play around a bit more. If you think of anything let me know because I would prefer playing some of the onlive games with a gamepad through my flat-screen.

I don't know about other people's experiences but playing this on my PC hooked up to my TV has been surprisingly good. Finally got started on a new months bandwidth limit so I could test this out. Playing Lego Harry Potter (only game I didn't own already) and it's been going very smooth. No lag or jaggies. Very surprised.

I was perfectly happy with how well RF:G ran when I played too... but how the service shakes out and its dependence on internet connections is still making me a bit cautious.

Just got a chance to try it out for a bit, and wow, I'm definitely surprised. I also tried out Harry Potter and I would say I noticed just the tiniest bit of input lag, but the game was definitely playable and looked pretty good to boot. I think the per month pricing is just a tad high, but I'm surprised it works at all to be honest.

[quote name='faceturd']Anyone been able to get a xbox360 controller to work with OnLive? To add another layer... anyone got it to work through a Mac? I've been trying and they say it is supported but no luck when I tried. Been trying to use it with Red Faction: Guerrilla. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have a wired 360 controller and it worked great with Harry Potter, haven't tried it out with other games yet though.

Filled out the request for an invitation yesterday and received my invitation today. Figured I would try to check it out while the free offer was going on. I actually have a fairly hefty Gaming PC and wanted to check out the difference in quality since I have been playing more and more on PC due to the frequent Steam Sales and F2P games.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']does anyone think there will be sale/specials on games they have in their catalog ?[/QUOTE]

After trying it out for a while, I believe they will have to change the pricing model in order to survive. Either that or have some incredible sales.

Downloaded everything and loaded up the software. Played around with the Splinter Cell Conviction Demo for about 20 minutes. Here are my thoughts.

1. The game loaded extremely quickly. From the time clicking on Start Demo to playing the game was less than 10 seconds.

2. Detected my 360 wired controller perfectly.

3. Graphics were not on par with any modern systems. The graphics are no where near what my PC is able to do on it's own. As well it still looks considerably worse than then 360 version. There was a general sense of blurriness to everything as well. One of the posters above mentioned something about looking like a YouTube video and at times that is exactly what it felt like.

4. I could detect no input lag when walking around normally. However when I entered fine aim mode I could see a slight amount of lag which made aiming a little tedious.

5. There were times when huge amounts of artifacts would take up a chunk of the screen. Not very often, but very noticeable when occurring.

Overall, I feel the service will not last long in its current state. The small amount of lag and the graphical issues are enough to keep away the hardcore gamers. And while I think the service would be great for more casual players, the current proposed cost of the service along with the full price on games will be more than the casual player will be willing to spend.

All opinion of course. Other people may love it.

Edit: After trying the Dirt 2 and NBA 2k10 demos, they definitely need to work on the stability of this service. The controller lag in Dirt 2 was enough that it interfered with the steering substantially. On NBA, there was no controller lag at all that I could tell but there were 1 - 2 second jumps in the video every 10 - 15 second or so. And I am using a 24 Mbps connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back