Onlive Tablet/Smartphone app is now available. Free Lego Batman with Download

Wow, it works pretty flawlessly so far already. This is damn ridiculous. I love living in the future!

Nooooooo! You need a new controller to use a controller on this app. I thought the one I had would work. Damn,

Last edited by a moderator:
It also works on phones also. Just tried it on my Samsung galaxy s 4g nd it works pretty good. I'm interested in the new controller also.

Yea I want the controller so I can play most of the game but the touch works well. My wifi is acting up right now for various reasons but the app seems like it will be really smooth when things are settled. This is really cool and now when I am bored I can just pop on my xoom and see what people are playing and just dink around. Very cool stuff.

...so how do we get the free lego batman? I tried viewing it in the marketplace via my phone, but it still showed the regular price. I figured they may just send out activation keys via email, but I've yet to receive one. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Just read something that you get notified via email in roughly 15 mins that you have Lego Batman...no email for me yet though...

Bump. Op should add Tablet/Smartphone to title.

I downloaded the app for my Droid Incredible smartphone and played both Braid and World of Goo (Humble Bundle Keys) flawlessly (timewarner 10mbps cable internet & living in Dallas near an Onlive central hub) and this morning I got a email that said I received Lego Batman Free for downloading the app on my "tablet or smartphone".

A couple extra pieces of info. I have the following Onlive games on my account and there is an attached credit card to the account. (Braid & World of Goo from Humble Bundles which play fine with touch control, Amnesia, Batman Arkham Asylum, Borderlands GOTY, and Deus Ex HR from different past Onlive deals, all of which I can start but state they need either a mouse and keyboard are needed or a gamepad is needed to play)

So far I am.impressed with the quality and ability to play some of my Onlive games on my smartphone... and I got Lego Batman for free just for trying it.

So with this kind of tech its easy to imagine PC or better quality games streaming to your TV. I wonder if this'll basically be the next Xbox/PS3.

Does not work with Xperia Play controls..fail

Tried Dirt 3 demo with touch controls and no way I can play like that.

[quote name='tominater12']So how long does it take to get lego batman?[/QUOTE]

It took me 45 mins from the time I logged in on my Android tablet to the time I received an email that I now had LEGO Batman. Logged back in on my tablet and saw LEGO Batman in my games list. Good stuff!

works on my droid charge, gonna have to see how this looks through 4g hdmi out to my tv.
nice that I can access the store on the go now

I'm really hoping to get a tablet for christmas.. Does it say anywhere that the free Lego Batman deal will expire by a certain date?

Downloaded, installed, and used on an HTC Thunderbolt over 4G LTE. Worked ok for the most part, but I still haven't received my Lego Batman code. I'm so stoked for this!

holy crap that is rough around the edges. video quality is sh*t, its all grainy and stays that way, at least with Netflix it starts grainy then buffers out to near perfect. I really don't see myself playing like Batman AA on my phone..evar..now this on the tablet might be something else..we'll see.

Sweet got it in my galaxy s 2 phone. When i went to the site it had my previous phones listed and doesn't look like it works with my LG g2x. Glad I got rid of that phone. I doubt I'll ever use it but will take the free game.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']So, how much bandwidth does your "average" OnLive game eat up?[/QUOTE]

All of the bandwidth.

Seriously, it'll scale the video quality to your connection. I highly recommend against playing it on 3G or even 4G. Use your Wi-Fi.

What type of controller do you use with an android tablet on this?

The lag will probably make it a choice only for the most casual of casual non-skill based games. I could see it being good for RPGs or story based games, but most of the games I play would suffer tremendously from the lag of internet streaming video. I already can't stand the lag of modern HDTVs.

controller is not out yet per se, drops 12/9, probably wouldn't get it for a week or two as well..I wonder if the same one for the microconsole would work..wish they'd do a promo for a free micro-console too at this point. Lets show all the love for OnLive!!

edit: yeah on micro-console page says the control is only compatible with that unit even though it looks identical..oh well.

[quote name='token2k6']controller is not out yet per se, drops 12/9, probably wouldn't get it for a week or two as well..I wonder if the same one for the microconsole would work..wish they'd do a promo for a free micro-console too at this point. Lets show all the love for OnLive!![/QUOTE]

The new one connects to most tables via blue tooth I think, I know it does for the ipad. The micro console one doesnt have blue tooth. They ran tons of deals on the console where you got it for free if you bought a game, I wouldnt be surprised if they do the same thing for the new controller.

Has anyone tried pairing a PS3 controller to their device and using that. I don't know how peripherals work with android phones/tablets.

[quote name='ShockandAww']So with this kind of tech its easy to imagine PC or better quality games streaming to your TV. I wonder if this'll basically be the next Xbox/PS3.[/QUOTE]

Wait a second, did I miss the sarcasm? OnLive already works on your TV, that's how they started.

Dang my thread get usurped! This aggression will not stand!..man!

jk

Anyways it runs really well on my "unsupported" xperia play although I'm begging them to add support for the Xperia Play control pad...god that would be awesome

Still no batman for me, installed and launched it over an hour ago on my EVO 3D

EDIT: finally received the code about 2 hours after using the app.

Played over WiFi on HTC EVO 4G. A little laggy, but I'm guessing it's more due to my phone than anything else. Still, I'm excited to see how well it'll work on other hardware. The phone itself is old enough. I'd expect better results from newer phones/tablets. I'll see if I can find out how well it works on a friends dual-core phone. Eventually, I'll try it out on their iPad too.

You need to log into your onlive account using the app on your device before it will give you the free game. I got mine about an hour after doing so.

[quote name='BlockheadBrown']HIJACK - I wonder if the controller would work with a PS3. :) Maybe one day.[/QUOTE]

It states on the press release that it will work on PS3 and 360.

[quote name='acsguitar']Dang my thread get usurped! This aggression will not stand!..man!

jk

Anyways it runs really well on my "unsupported" xperia play although I'm begging them to add support for the Xperia Play control pad...god that would be awesome[/QUOTE]

Hey, MAN! There's a beverage here!!!

Wow, I can't believe the 360 controller works natively. I have the Toshiba Thrive, but I'm sure it'll work for other USB-enabled Android tablets as well.

For anyone who got the Humble Bundle 2 or 3 (3 came with 2 free) you already have a code to get Osmos on Onlive.

Osmos is touch enabled and works quite well on the app. Actually, I think prefer the touch controls to the mouse ones to be honest.

[quote name='mac101010']Wow, I can't believe the 360 controller works natively. I have the Toshiba Thrive, but I'm sure it'll work for other USB-enabled Android tablets as well.[/QUOTE]

Thrive has a full usb port. Most others have a micro and will need an adapter like this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...0&ei=5x3hToGPI4bgjATZs9D-Cw&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAg#p

I hadn't thought to try my 360 controller on my Touchpad with this app, but I will have to give that a try via the adapter when I get home.

Ok I have done my fair share of bashing for the PC version of OnLive.... but after just trying this out on my GSII they have just taken a huge step forward in my book.

Played the demo for Darksiders and everything was working flawlessly. Took a minute to get used to the touch controls but everything was responsive and functioned well. I also didnt see any issues with blurry video as some people were mentioning. Video was crisp and clear on the phone.

OnLive is still a long way away from ever becoming a main gaming source for me, but this might be enough to get me to give them a try with a couple games during their next sale.

BTW the Xperia Play "Pad" but not the touch pad or buttons work fine on Lara Croft and Guardian of light. God I wish they'd support this pad

[quote name='MetalMan']Braid, Osmos, and Trine all have onlive keys from the Humble Bundles.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this. I had completely forgotten to add them.

[quote name='MetalMan']Braid, Osmos, and Trine all have onlive keys from the Humble Bundles.[/QUOTE]

So did World of Goo, but that one expired. Aww man.

Tried playing Dirt 3 on my Motorola Droid and it was terrible. There was a 1-2 second delay between hitting a button and it actually taking effect in the game.

Games play almost perfectly on my Transformer. The initial menus seem blurry but once it loads everything is crisp, must be some kind of buffering going when you first load.

Playing the Darksiders demo on a Samsung Galaxy Tab. No perceived lag, looks very, very nice. Touchscreen controls are ok, but if I am going to be serious about this I will need to buy the controller. Shame it doesn't come in a micro console bundle.

[quote name='jcallina']Playing the Darksiders demo on a Samsung Galaxy Tab. No perceived lag, looks very, very nice. Touchscreen controls are ok, but if I am going to be serious about this I will need to buy the controller. Shame it doesn't come in a micro console bundle.[/QUOTE]

Yea it is.....I'm guessing they released the Console without the "new controller" either because they didn't want to bet on tablets succeeding or they bet on tablets succeeding and new they could cash in on a new accessory. Considering the relatively cheap prices on games and awesome tech I'm cool either way.

If I had a tablet I'd probably buy the controller

bread's done
Back