(OOS) $20 XBL 12 mo UPDATE: YMMV with in-store price-match

GamerKingFaiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thorgouge']Customer service told me that its impossible to alter the price of the card since its an unusual type of item. Went to cashier with the last 3 cards they had and the guy did it without a problem. If one cashier says no just say thanks and go to a different one. fuck them.[/QUOTE]

A manager tried that argument on me- I promptly asked him how the cards were on sale that week (at $39). He pricematched Sears rather quickly. :D.

[quote name='mfitzmorris']A manager tried that argument on me- I promptly asked him how the cards were on sale that week (at $39). He pricematched Sears rather quickly. :D.[/QUOTE]
Lol, very nice! I like it. :p

Oof. This is a really good deal - going to try my luck at the Boynton Beach BBY tomorrow. Went to the Wellington one with the chatpad/mic/12mo Live deal and the LP guy knew right away that it was wrong so I won't try there again.

[quote name='mfitzmorris']A manager tried that argument on me- I promptly asked him how the cards were on sale that week (at $39). He pricematched Sears rather quickly. :D.[/QUOTE]
Hah, I'll have to remember that if they try to pull a quick one.

[quote name='terithegreat']Oof. This is a really good deal - going to try my luck at the Boynton Beach BBY tomorrow. Went to the Wellington one with the chatpad/mic/12mo Live deal and the LP guy knew right away that it was wrong so I won't try there again.[/QUOTE]

Lol that's funny 'cause that's the one I was going to go to tommorow, let's hope it works!

[quote name='clumsychu']Jagsfan, I read a reply saying they did it at walmart.[/QUOTE]

thanks.. so i just print out the picture and give it a try?

I tried it at Walmart and they said that you have to have the actual ad to PM and wouldn't accept my printout or even try to search it online.

[quote name='Jagsfan6116']is best buy the only store that might accept this ?[/QUOTE]
Best Buy is going to be your best shot at getting this price matched. Several have tried at Wal-mart and only one's been successful. On the other hand, many have tried at Best Buy and several have been successful. So if you happen to be by a Wal-mart and don't mind trying go for it.

just picked up 2 for 19.99 at the citrus park bestbuy in tampa.

She called a manager over, did the transaction, and everything went smoothly.

I also picked up god of war collection for ps3!!!

I can't believe how many people here got away with the BB price match. Any time I've ever tried to PM anything there, they always double check with the store to make sure the item is still in stock. By some miracle though, I was able to score two 12-month cards at BB today for $20 each just now.

As soon as I showed them the print-out, they said they had to verify the deal online but they were having problems with the Sears website (their computers had some weird auto-fill thing going on with the search box on Sears.com). So then they tried calling the store but they were put on hold. After 20 minutes of me waiting around and getting irritated, the girl just rang the cards for $20 each. Guess they just got tired of dealing with me and wanted to get me out of there. The huge line behind me at customer service was a big help too I bet. :)

[quote name='norkusa']I can't believe how many people here got away with the BB price match. Any time I've ever tried to PM anything there, they always double check with the store to make sure the item is still in stock. By some miracle though, I was able to score two 12-month cards at BB today for $20 each just now.

As soon as I showed them the print-out, they said they had to verify the deal online but they were having problems with the Sears website (their computers had some weird auto-fill thing going on with the search box on Sears.com). So then they tried calling the store but they were put on hold. After 20 minutes of me waiting around and getting irritated, the girl just rang the cards for $20 each. Guess they just got tired of dealing with me and wanted to get me out of there. The huge line behind me at customer service was a big help too I bet. :)[/QUOTE]

They had the same computer issue when I went in, they called as well and someone at Sears confirmed it. I guess I got lucky.

[quote name='hoofrog']They had the same computer issue when I went in, they called as well and someone at Sears confirmed it. I guess I got lucky.[/QUOTE]

They talked to someone at Sears and you still got the discount?? I thought the point of calling was to see if the item was still in stock. If the item isn't in stock, then the store doesn't PM it. Isn't that the way it usually works?

Besides, didn't Sears pull this deal the day after they posted it? Guess I'm still in shock for getting two 12 month cards for $40.

[quote name='norkusa']They talked to someone at Sears and you still got the discount?? I thought the point of calling was to see if the item was still in stock. If the item isn't in stock, then the store doesn't PM it. Isn't that the way it usually works?

Besides, didn't Sears pull this deal the day after they posted it? Guess I'm still in shock for getting two 12 month cards for $40.[/QUOTE]

Checking the stock of the store and seeing if the item is available is supposed to be one of the requirements of PM, but it all depends on the person you get and etc.
That's why this deal is YMMV. ;)

Thanks OP! Successful price match at BestBuy in Oxnard for 3. Went to register and transaction occurred without manager intervention or other follow up. Did not get Sherlock Holmes though.

Got the pricematch at Best buy in Cambridge, MA. Cashier rang the whole thing up, complimented me on the good deal. Got a Sherlock Holmes ticket, too! Thanks for the pointer to the great deal, OP-- missed the Sears stock by MINUTES-- and thanks to everyone who reported success at Best Buy; I'm another success story. :D

If anyone can get an extra one for me I'd greatly appreciate it and can pay via paypal. I wanna give one to a buddy of mine as a late X-Mas gift but i don't have a Best Buy near me. Shoot me a PM if ya got one. Thanks!

You can try getting more than one Sherlock Holmes Movie Pack. It specifically states on the top of the box "Free with qualified purchase of any Xbox 360 Console System of Xbox LIVE product valued at $19.99 or greater" which is pretty blunt and points more towards getting one pack per card.

[quote name='sang321']I will pick up an extra card to sell on here later today... :)
PM me if you're interested in it so we can talk about it.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. You have a negative iTrader rating.

I'm scared to try this seeing as I work at Best Buy. All you guys doing it today are just taking in the printout and it works? Even if they call a Sears store, they confirm that it's the correct price?

EDIT: I just called my store acting like I'm a random customer and I asked if they price match Sears. He went away to ask someone else and he came back asking what I want to do, and I say it's a 12 month Xbox Live card on their website. He just goes "Oh, no, we don't do dat. We don't do the cards."

>_>

I might have more luck going to the smaller store near me though and being totally incognito.

[quote name='Svengoolie']I'm scared to try this seeing as I work at Best Buy. All you guys doing it today are just taking in the printout and it works? Even if they call a Sears store, they confirm that it's the correct price?

EDIT: I just called my store acting like I'm a random customer and I asked if they price match Sears. He went away to ask someone else and he came back asking what I want to do, and I say it's a 12 month Xbox Live card on their website. He just goes "Oh, no, we don't do dat. We don't do the cards."

>_>

I might have more luck going to the smaller store near me though and being totally incognito.[/QUOTE]
Most likely, if you call, they will tell you no because they do not want to "help" you over the phone... Your best bet is to send a family member in to PM imo...

I tried this today about an hour ago at the Best Buy in Union City, CA.
PM'd no problem! Didn't even call over a manager for approval or anything.
Milk this deal as much as you can everyone!

Gah! I guess the Best Buys in the Chicagoland area are all rule-followers. I went into Kildeer last night with the printout and got denied again. Third time.

Enjoy your Xbox Live guys! Thanks to CAG for at least introducing me to the deal...

Just a thought, but considering how some of these cashiers are price matching for us (mine just looked at the paper for 2 seconds and entered the $19.99 price for each card I purchased), couldn't you technically try to do this forever? Every so often just pop in and try it; the printout has no date and if they call and Sears says no or if you're declined just try again with someone else or a different store later. Seems to me there's no reason not to do this every time you stop in BB. Plus for every 5 you resell on eBay for $40 or more you make a minimum $100 for free.

Just a question, guys. I'm not used to price matching.

I tried a Best Buy near me and they wouldn't do the price match because they couldn't verify it at Sears. I went to a different Best Buy and they did it for me. Now I'd like to buy a few more (for my friends). Is there any way I can show them the receipt or something? I really don't feel like going all the way over to the other Best Buy.

Also, I forgot to pick up the Sherlock Holmes thing. How do I go about getting them now, after I've purchased the cards?

Thanks in advance!

All of you guys/gals pulling this off are extremely lucky. Every BB I go into wants to check the Sears website before they do the pricematch. Since it doesn't come up, they refuse it. Doesn't matter what my printout says.

Frank

I just had Best Buy price match the $19.99 with no problems at all. Forgot about the Shelock Holmes, though

I got this to work at BB for me and my friend. I think she was looking for a manager but i think the manager was busy so she Pmed it anyways.

[quote name='ftlee']All of you guys/gals pulling this off are extremely lucky. Every BB I go into wants to check the Sears website before they do the pricematch. Since it doesn't come up, they refuse it. Doesn't matter what my printout says.

Frank[/QUOTE]

Same here all the 4 bb's around my area checked it and 2 walmarts :( so no 19.99 for me :(

[quote name='ftlee']All of you guys/gals pulling this off are extremely lucky. Every BB I go into wants to check the Sears website before they do the pricematch. Since it doesn't come up, they refuse it. Doesn't matter what my printout says.

Frank[/QUOTE]

Just got it PMed today. The cashier tried to say it's for a different thing because the picture was of CoD:MW2. -_-
I told her it's basically the same thing, asked me for the price they had it at Sears, and PMed for me. She said she was going to ask the manager about it, but just PMed it anyway. Thanks OP!! :D
P.S. Got Sherlock Holems too. :cool:

Hey just few minutes ago I checked my email I got a confirmation from Sears that my order has been shipped. I'm surprised Sears went ahead and honored their mistake they made. I wasn't expecting too received the xbox live 12 month card, and since it's been some days now since that happen I wasn't expecing BB to PM either.

Would you mind providing a screenshot of that email. It might be better to use for Price Matching, seeing as how some BBs don't like seeing just some random cut out of the site.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Just a thought, but considering how some of these cashiers are price matching for us (mine just looked at the paper for 2 seconds and entered the $19.99 price for each card I purchased), couldn't you technically try to do this forever? Every so often just pop in and try it; the printout has no date and if they call and Sears says no or if you're declined just try again with someone else or a different store later. Seems to me there's no reason not to do this every time you stop in BB. Plus for every 5 you resell on eBay for $40 or more you make a minimum $100 for free.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure, but I think hoarding and flipping of this sort is naturally looked down upon even by the CAG people.

[quote name='mistrsam']I'm not too sure, but I think hoarding and flipping of this sort is naturally looked down upon even by the CAG people.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it is looked down upon by CAGs, it is open to everyone to get them. Chances are other CAGs arent going to every BB in their area and buying out the entire stock of cards there. And even then they will restock often. So other CAGs arent missing out if their BB price matches.

In case you don't know, cashiers and managers remember you. Every time you PM or ask a question that makes them go out of their way you increase your chances of being remembered.

I was a manager of a retail store, and even with foot traffic in the thousands, I could tell the" regulars". I PM'd things for repeat business, but I wasn't above checking up on prices when business was slowing down or to see if they were lying.

What you might not know is that store manager will check up his cashier and why the inventory isn't generating the right revenue. Also he has a district manager that will look at all the PM's and dock his bonus (or pay, or some other form of discipline) if he feels he is harming the bottom line. Then loss prevention gets involved. I'm sure it wouldn't take loss prevention long to pull the "tape" from the time of purchase on the receipts and work from there. A bit extreme, but I've seen "retail wanted posters" before

You are going unnoticed because the holiday traffic is high and honestly at this point you are almost stealing. It's cool to get a PM a couple days after a sale, but to take a printout that you know is no longer accurate and try and get them to match it, why not fire up photoshop and make your own sales papers

[quote name='mistrsam']I'm not too sure, but I think hoarding and flipping of this sort is naturally looked down upon even by the CAG people.[/QUOTE]

Hoarding and flipping seems to be part and parcel of CAG culture. But keep in mind that if you keep going back to the well on a deal like this, you may be making it harder to get a pricematch at Best Buy the next time a great deal comes over the horizon. If every one of us gets one or two cards, I don't see the harm, but if you have people going out in droves and getting 15-20 cards pricematched, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw "NO PRICEMATCHES ON POINTS/SUBSCRIPTION CARDS" added to the policy.

[quote name='reddjoey']You are going unnoticed because the holiday traffic is high and honestly at this point you are almost stealing. It's cool to get a PM a couple days after a sale, but to take a printout that you know is no longer accurate and try and get them to match it, why not fire up photoshop and make your own sales papers[/QUOTE]

The first part of your post is really, really interesting. Retail operations are a mystery to me and it's always illuminating to hear about how the nuts and bolts of revenue management work at different places; thanks!

As for the above, AFAIK my printout was accurate-- my local Searses ran out of stock just before I could order. I had the page open for a couple of days, and just printed it out when I was ready to pricematch. Is the listing no longer on sears.com?

[quote name='Mike Toole']

As for the above, AFAIK my printout was accurate-- my local Searses ran out of stock just before I could order. I had the page open for a couple of days, and just printed it out when I was ready to pricematch. Is the listing no longer on sears.com?[/QUOTE]

Mike, the sale was one day only IIRC. I'm not trying to be the internet police, but if someone is abusing the system, they will ruin it for us all. Just look at how finally fixed the coupon debacle. I'm sure when managers saw 10+ copies of merchandise leaving for free, they were on the phone to corporate quick. ( X-Blades had long been clearanced and only had limited copies. so I guess why they didn't care before. )

As far as retail, you have to think that there is a reason they scan UPCs, ask for your "membership" info, and don't use old style registers that are glorified adding machines. I know it sounds tin-foil hat, but those are computers they are using as registers and for a reason. They feed into the inventory to track what sells, how much, coupons used, all kinds of ridiculous crap. For instance: At one point and time, I had to email my district manager the sales totals for every hour we were open that week.

[quote name='reddjoey']Mike, the sale was one day only IIRC. I'm not trying to be the internet police, but if someone is abusing the system, they will ruin it for us all. Just look at how finally fixed the coupon debacle. I'm sure when managers saw 10+ copies of merchandise leaving for free, they were on the phone to corporate quick. ( X-Blades had long been clearanced and only had limited copies. so I guess why they didn't care before. ) [/QUOTE]

I agree with you entirely I worked at ccity and now target and I remembered the people who were always coming in and especially the people who walked out with incredible deals... that being said sure you might get away with PM 30 cards this week but trust in that there going to notice and shut anyone else that goes in down and you better believe that the next time something like this comes around either 1) corporate is going to crackdown and start forcing PM say for $30 on small items to be called and checked at the other store or 2) there going to put a cap on amount of items PM or even stop PM certain items all together, either way there not going to be fooled at this level the same way twice if this is overly abused.

[quote name='reddjoey']Mike, the sale was one day only IIRC. I'm not trying to be the internet police, but if someone is abusing the system, they will ruin it for us all. Just look at how finally fixed the coupon debacle. I'm sure when managers saw 10+ copies of merchandise leaving for free, they were on the phone to corporate quick. ( X-Blades had long been clearanced and only had limited copies. so I guess why they didn't care before. )

As far as retail, you have to think that there is a reason they scan UPCs, ask for your "membership" info, and don't use old style registers that are glorified adding machines. I know it sounds tin-foil hat, but those are computers they are using as registers and for a reason. They feed into the inventory to track what sells, how much, coupons used, all kinds of ridiculous crap. For instance: At one point and time, I had to email my district manager the sales totals for every hour we were open that week.
[/QUOTE]

the sale was actually atleast two days.. the 19.99 price came back the next day.

bread's done
Back