(OOS) Skylanders 3 Pack $18.27 Whirlwind, Drill Sgt, Double Trouble

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Skylanders 3 pack of Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and Double Trouble for $18.27

I don't care if I get shit for this it's a deal and these things are awesome :)

Also Cynder is available for preorder along with the individual characters from the 3 pack. Each single is the regular $7.99 and ship in 2-3 weeks.

Amazon is calling each of the single characters Cynder but pictures the correct figures:

Whirlwind
Drill Sergeant
Double Trouble

From Io: Here's the Skylanders thread for further discussion (beyond this deal):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306041

Last edited by a moderator:
Wont catch hell from me, lol. I pick up the Mega pack a few weeks ago and love it but cant find any figures around here. Been to every store wih in a 100 miles of my house that might sell them and found zip. Going to pre order now. No way Im paying the jacked up ebay prices for Whirlwind. Thanks for the heads up!

Just being able to order these things for one penny less should be considered a good real right this moment. Thanks

Yeah, I had discussed this in the Skylanders thread earlier, but this is an actual deal so it is OK here. I ordered the 3-pack earlier in the day and it was $19.99. When I was posting the link for that other thread I noticed it actually went down in price so I canceled and reordered.

I had also ordered Cynder earlier in the day.

Amazon has had some of them in stock briefly over the last few days. I got Voodood ordered Friday and it is getting here tomorrow (despite Amazon saying it was backordered until the 13th). Zap, Bash, Eruptor, and Flameslinger have also been in stock over the last few days.

For most of today the Hex/Dino-Rang/Zap pack was in stock. And the Darklight Crypt too...

But these are nearly impossible to find in store now. They get bought up almost instantly when they do show up. My son and I missed getting the last one at a Gamestop store on Saturday by about 15 seconds - some guy who went in right before us grabbed it. It was Prism Break, which my son didn't have so it would have been a nice score. Oh well, it's not like he doesn't have enough (before Christmas when they were easier to find I made sure I got him one of each element plus a few extras).

Here's the Skylanders thread for more discussion of specific figures/game details:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306041

Prism Break is one of my favorites, io. He'll enjoy playing that one when he ultimately finds one.

The big news here is that the 6 month exclusivity deals have expired. Nice to see Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant available at other stores. :) Price is also nice (saving on tax), but I have a feeling we will be drowning in these soon. I predict a flood of figures will hit retail and glut the demand. Patience will likely result in some good sales.

But no harm in ordering these now. If I didn't already have Drill Sergeant, I'd probably get it, too.

Good that this will drive the price of Whirlwind down. I got one a few months ago and noticed they were selling for 100+ on ebay. Off mine went!

[quote name='Zippon']Price is also nice (saving on tax), but I have a feeling we will be drowning in these soon. I predict a flood of figures will hit retail and glut the demand. Patience will likely result in some good sales.

But no harm in ordering these now. If I didn't already have Drill Sergeant, I'd probably get it, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know in 2 months or so they will be everywhere (and then I can get the Legendary 3-pack I passed up at TRU before Thanksgiving). I actually passed on tons of others too, including gobs of Whirlwind because I was only buying them on sale before Christmas (like 2 for $10, or B1G1 at TRU). Target never had them on sale - I tried during the B2G1 but they didn't qualify as video game items.

When I bought Dino-Rang and a 3-pack right after Christmas that was the first time I paid full price for them. But since I think this new 3-pack will be hard to find initially (I'm sure stores will sell out quickly) and I can even get it for a slight discount at Amazon, not to mention use Amazon credit, it is pretty much a no-brainer. I can wait a bit longer for some of the other ones we don't have (like Chop Chop). My son thinks 3 weeks is a long way off as it is - wil be nice for him to get some new figs then. Hopefully he won't be long past playing the game though at that point! They really need to release another of the level packs (Empire of Ice with Slam Bam or Dragon's Peak with Sunburn) soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Yeah, I know in 2 months or so they will be everywhere (and then I can get the Legendary 3-pack I passed up at TRU before Thanksgiving). I actually passed on tons of others too, including gobs of Whirlwind because I was only buying them on sale before Christmas (like 2 for $10, or B1G1 at TRU). Target never had them on sale - I tried during the B2G1 but they didn't qualify as video game items.[/QUOTE] I dont know, I believe the TrU Legendary pack was a TrU exclusive and will stay that way. Unless they decide to make more of them those could end up being the hardest ones to get (aside from the dumb silver ones). Also the stores are going to need space for these things so I don't know that older ones like Flameslinger, Sonic Boom, Prism Break, Eruptor and such will be showing up any time soon anywhere. Or I could be completely wrong.

And yeah I had bought 4x Whirlwinds when they first came out with the idea that they'd be rare and I could resell them. Of course I have zero patience though and resold them about 2 weeks before I could make any decent amount on them. Then of course they went well over $100 (as high as $150) for a single one. Ugh.

Well, I know I'd have to get the Legendary pack at TRU - but what's the point in it remaining exclusive if they don't get more? I expect them to get more at some point. They may not become super common but I'd like to think I'll be able to find them at some point.

And, hah, well, at least you had some idea Whirlwind would be rare. It was just so common at Target at one point that for a while it was like the only one they had there. That made me think they had tons and as a result I didn't even want to spend the full price of $7.99 on one as part of my son's present (since I got him the wind character Sonic Boom via the 2 for $10 from Amazon matching TRU's deal). Stupid - in hindsight of course ;). But I don't think anyone, from Activision to the retailers to any of us knew how intense the rush for these would be after Christmas. I've never seen anything like it.

[quote name='io']Well, I know I'd have to get the Legendary pack at TRU - but what's the point in it remaining exclusive if they don't get more? I expect them to get more at some point. They may not become super common but I'd like to think I'll be able to find them at some point.

And, hah, well, at least you had some idea Whirlwind would be rare. It was just so common at Target at one point that for a while it was like the only one they had there. That made me think they had tons and as a result I didn't even want to spend the full price of $7.99 on one as part of my son's present (since I got him the wind character Sonic Boom via the 2 for $10 from Amazon matching TRU's deal). Stupid - in hindsight of course ;). But I don't think anyone, from Activision to the retailers to any of us knew how intense the rush for these would be after Christmas. I've never seen anything like it.[/QUOTE]Well I hope you're right because of course I had the Legendary set and sold that too. I remember my TrU was completely stocked with them so figured like you did that there'd be plenty left when a sale came around.

And yeah agreed with the rush after Christmas part. They were released originally in mid October I think which seems like it would have been enough time for word of mouth to get around before Xmas but apparently not. I sold sets of Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant together for under $30 probably right around early December if I remember right, because there wasnt much of a rush before so I thought they were going to tank and end up being like $3 per figure clearanced everywhere or something. Didnt want to lose money on them so I got rid of them. Then they got to around $50 by Christmas day and took off in price from there.

Obviously people still dont know you can preorder these new figures because this 3 pack and whirlwind are both selling for relatively ridiculous amounts on ebay still.

Thanks for the heads up ShockandAww, much appreciated.
I was dreading having to fight every other parent in town for these when they start showing up again. I will GLADLY preorder any of these that become available rather than have to haunt TRU & Target every day.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Skylanders 3 pack of Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and Double Trouble for $18.27

I don't care if I get shit for this it's a deal and these things are awesome :)

Also Cynder is available for preorder along with the individual characters from the 3 pack. Each single is the regular $7.99 and ship in 2-3 weeks.

Amazon is calling each of the single characters Cynder but pictures the correct figures:

Whirlwind
Drill Sergeant
Double Trouble[/QUOTE]

Good find. Will grab all 4. I will end up with two Drill Sergeants, but what can you do.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Good find. Will grab all 4. I will end up with two Drill Sergeants, but what can you do.[/QUOTE]
Just sell the Drill Sergeant you have now if you can. It'd probably pay for a couple of the single character packs.

Thanks for the heads up. Now all I need is Toysrus to restock their supply so I can use that damn copoun for one free skylander from purchasing $100 before Christmas before it expires.

Yeah, I got a $5 TRU RZ coupon that expires Friday. It'd be nice if they got some in this week.

I ordered the 3-pack and Cynder last night. I'm still unsure if I'm collecting them all or just getting the cool ones. I guess empty shelves helps make the decision for me. :lol:

I heard a nasty rumor that they were pulling all Skylanders from the shelves.....
I think its honestly to make the demand higher for them. Im kinda shocked to see Whirlwind and Drill Sgt in this pack. Either way... glad they are coming out for ppl that didn't get a chance to get them before. I've got spare Skylanders sitting in a bag waiting to be exchanged at Kmarts when the new ones release.
Bring on the new ones!

At the moment we bought a Rubbermaid bin, laid down a Resistance 3 T-Shirt we got from the New York Comic Con, and put them with their backs down.

We currently can't fit anymore figures so that might actually be a good choice.

Mine are in a cardboard box lol. I need to get a divider. I know I'm going to be pissed when they start breaking. Some of them are pretty fragile.

I'll probably look for something next time I go to a store.

I couldnt find much for a decent price on ebay but here's one that holds 40 items for $23.64: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holiday-Red...280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1baee228

Anyone know where to get something like this any cheaper? 40 slots would probably be about perfect for the whole collection once it's out though.

[quote name='DonWii']Off Topic: I was reading reviews on the Skylanders zip cases and someone recommended this ornament container:

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-Seasona...IC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1326201972&sr=8-10

Currently OOS.

Was wondering how you all have been storing the figures, if at all.[/QUOTE]

We've been using the 2 tray version of this very case. Works pretty well. It would be nice if we could find the trays alone, but haven't had any luck.

You guys are too funny. I think I have 11 figures right now and I honestly haven't felt the need to get more at all (all elements covered) - and most of these came from Xmas. I admit, Sonic Boom doesn't wow me, but he seems serviceable to get through the Air stuff. I picked exactly the ones I wanted at the time - prior to releasing new ones - and I got a surprise Dino-Rang gift so I've been content.

Also, I have them all displayed on a bookshelf; take them down when it's time to play, then put them back up :]

They're making such a mint off these stupid figures, not to mention it being a ridiculously inconvenient way to change characters, lol.

Still, they're...so...colorful....must...stop...and....look...

Thx for the heads up OP. I had ordered the 3pack before bed last night and it was still at $19.99. Cancelled and reordered :)

Also want to give a heads up on the 3DS version, which is different than the console versions. You can find the game, portal (with all necessary accessories and batteries) in the low $20ish range on eBay or even Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ls?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1326208329&sr=8-47&seller= (Amazon seems to be a few dollars more than eBay though.) These won't come with the figures (like Dark Spyro or Ignitor), but I seriously doubt those will be exclusive to the 3DS forever. I already got the PS3 version for my son for Christmas, so he already has figures. I'm just going to wait for the inevitable (I hope) 3pack that includes those 2 figures in the future.

On a side note, you can also order the Darklight Crypt from Amazon, although it is backordered with no estimated shipping date.

Also keep an eye out for the Empire of Ice (with Slam Bam) Adventure pack. They announced it yesterday on the Skylander's Facebook page, so I'd imagine it'll be up for pre-order soon.

I was hoping to find that adventure pack here is a picture of what it looks like.

EDIT: For those of you who can wait, Cynder is going to come out in a three pack around Easter time along with Lightning Rod and Zook.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Just sell the Drill Sergeant you have now if you can. It'd probably pay for a couple of the single character packs.[/QUOTE]

That's not terrible advice. I just finished selling my extra Whirlwind on eBay for $87. Kind of ridiculous.

I had heard earlier that this 3-pack was going to be released at the end of the month (thanks for the purchase link BTW, OP), so I figured I'd get rid of my soon to be extra Whirlwind now.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']That's not terrible advice. I just finished selling my extra Whirlwind on eBay for $87. Kind of ridiculous.

I had heard earlier that this 3-pack was going to be released at the end of the month (thanks for the purchase link BTW, OP), so I figured I'd get rid of my soon to be extra Whirlwind now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I got lucky and got the entire available collection (minus the 3DS/Legendary figures) for $170 from an awesome CAG. I sold the Whirlwind alone for $79 after fees and already had some others that I resold so I'll basically end up with the entire collection for free minus the work I put into selling them. Of course I found out probably a day or so after selling Whirlwind that this new 3 pack is coming out at the end of the month so I feel slightly bad but some of them sold for way more than mine did.

I also drove around with my son about a hour on Saturday and only came up with Boomer. He says its the best present he has ever got Skylanders that is. I did good stealing his Mom's thunder, just like on the League.

[quote name='dragonjud']I thought it was against Ebay rules to sell items that were not in your possession at the time of listing...Not to mention the prices. wow!

People really are dumb:roll:[/QUOTE]

Report it. I would but I don't have an eBay account.

That's good that they are putting Whirlwind & Drill Sergeant in a pack where everyone can get them. When I bought them separately (by PMing GameStop when they had a sale on them), I haven't seen them since.

Been wondering when Cynder was going to show up in this game. Thanks for the heads up. Its true that Activision is making big bucks off this game and its toys, but gotta admit, its pretty addictive.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']That's good that they are putting Whirlwind & Drill Sergeant in a pack where everyone can get them. When I bought them separately (by PMing GameStop when they had a sale on them), I haven't seen them since.

Been wondering when Cynder was going to show up in this game. Thanks for the heads up. Its true that Activision is making big bucks off this game and its toys, but gotta admit, its pretty addictive.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's pretty genius, especially for those of us with kids. You know they won't be happy with just 1 of each type. Of course, you don't have to buy them all at once and it's just another reward to offer them for good behavior, grades in school, etc. so it works out.

[quote name='barrit']Yea, it's pretty genius, especially for those of us with kids. You know they won't be happy with just 1 of each type. Of course, you don't have to buy them all at once and it's just another reward to offer them for good behavior, grades in school, etc. so it works out.[/QUOTE]

I've got my boys folding laundry, setting/clearing the table, making beds, cleaning the basement and tons of other stuff just for Skylanders $. It's great.

looks like you can not pre-order it anymore. I got the order in this morning before seeing it on CAG. I hope it ships. I'm not flipping them, just buying them for my daughter who plays it all the time. Even when not playing the game, she plays with them like they are action figures (she's 8).

Wow that sucks the triple pack and Cynder gone already for now at least. Drill Sgt, Double Trouble, and Whirlwind singles still available.

Is there any way to get an alert when something becomes available from Amazon (that is currently available from 3rd party sellers at insane prices)?

I got a couple of Drill Sergeants, some months ago, but
only one Whirlwind....

I'm happy the makers of Skylanders are reissuing the toys
that are too damned expensive for most gamers...not
only that, but they're too few on the market.

Amazon Germany has these dated for around February...
...Amazon is bound to get them back in stock.

// Sorry, eBay and Marketplace sellers....I'm not
// paying $100+ for Whirlwind.

can someone help me out..

once you beat the game what is the novelty in using a new character? do you get new lands to play in? do you get new missions?

[quote name='kevgret']can someone help me out..

once you beat the game what is the novelty in using a new character? do you get new lands to play in? do you get new missions?[/QUOTE]

As long as you have at least one of all eight "elements" (air, fire, earth, etc...), you can access all the areas in the game (you only need the three it comes with to get through the game, although other areas triggered by other elements will be blocked off until you have that type of character). Having multiples under one element doesn't help you in any way (other than obviously having another option to play with). Now if you get the packs like "Pirate Seas" or "Darklight Crypt", then those come with a new area to explore.

[quote name='chriscolbert']As long as you have at least one of all eight "elements" (air, fire, earth, etc...), you can access all the areas in the game (you only need the three it comes with to get through the game, although other areas triggered by other elements will be blocked off until you have that type of character). Having multiples under one element doesn't help you in any way (other than obviously having another option to play with). Now if you get the packs like "Pirate Seas" or "Darklight Crypt", then those come with a new area to explore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.. so this could get expensive depending how much you want out of the experience, huh? I guess if you have kids this is a cool thing to get them especially with the physical characters to collect

[quote name='kevgret']Thanks for the info.. so this could get expensive depending how much you want out of the experience, huh? I guess if you have kids this is a cool thing to get them especially with the physical characters to collect[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is expensive as hell but it is also genius. When my son is done playing video games (because that time is limited) he just takes the action figures and continues to play the game offline.

When they get the Marvel or Star Wars license I am going to be so broke.

[quote name='kevgret']Thanks for the info.. so this could get expensive depending how much you want out of the experience, huh? I guess if you have kids this is a cool thing to get them especially with the physical characters to collect[/QUOTE]

My son absolutely loves them and he'll be five in April. We limit our "TV time" so he plays with them more as action figures. They're not pose-able but they are very well made. Someone earlier mentioned something about them being "fragile" but I have yet to experience anything like that. The 13 we have are built like tanks.

bread's done
Back