(OOS) Skylanders 3 Pack $18.27 Whirlwind, Drill Sgt, Double Trouble

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Skylanders 3 pack of Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and Double Trouble for $18.27

I don't care if I get shit for this it's a deal and these things are awesome :)

Also Cynder is available for preorder along with the individual characters from the 3 pack. Each single is the regular $7.99 and ship in 2-3 weeks.

Amazon is calling each of the single characters Cynder but pictures the correct figures:

Whirlwind
Drill Sergeant
Double Trouble

From Io: Here's the Skylanders thread for further discussion (beyond this deal):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306041

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP for posting this. I probably never would have found it otherwise. I thought for sure Whirlwind was gone for good. I just signed up to be notified when the triple pack and Cynder comes in since my wife desperately wants Whirlwind and Cynder.

It makes me laugh at all the people paying over $100 for Whirlwind. It's going to be crazy to find that one in stores when it's re-released.

[quote name='chriscolbert']My son absolutely loves them and he'll be five in April. We limit our "TV time" so he plays with them more as action figures. They're not pose-able but they are very well made. Someone earlier mentioned something about them being "fragile" but I have yet to experience anything like that. The 13 we have are built like tanks.[/QUOTE]

^5 for sons turning 5 in April.

I dont let him play with the figures offline though, he's too violent with them lol

Wow. I wasn't expecting these to go out of stock. had them sitting in my cart. Glad I went ahead and ordered. Unfortunately, I have thrown a lot of money down the Skylanders hole, but it has been worth it.

Transformers seems like a no brainer for this type of treatment and Marvel Super Hero Squad as well. It would be nice to see a Clone Wars version of this since they would have a variety of heros and villians to choose from, but I don't thonk Activision has the license.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Having multiples under one element doesn't help you in any way (other than obviously having another option to play with). Now if you get the packs like "Pirate Seas" or "Darklight Crypt", then those come with a new area to explore.[/QUOTE]

Not true the more characters you have of a particular element the stronger their elemental power becomes :p

Wow - they must have gotten a ton of orders. Now I'm worried that when I canceled my $19.99 one (made mid-day yesterday) and reordered at $18.27 (after midnight) that I'll be "pushed back in line" and not get this in the first wave or whatever... We'll see... I should have just kept the $19.99 order and made a second one - d'oh!

Is is simply amazing the demand for these toys/game contents. I bough the PS3 Skylander for my little bro and still only have the starter pack but he recently been asking me to get him a dead type skylander. He even try handing me $11 dollar my grandfather gave him.

I want to get him one(not with his money) but is impossible to find a single toy at regular price! Only place that has them is Toys R Us because of their overpricing. Is actually fishy that out of all the retail they seem the only one to not run out of inventory at the brick and mortal stores.

Activision has everyone by the jewels, is shocking the demand for this item. Everyone can expect Skylander 2 to come out next year and a entire new set of characters. At this point they should just make an animated series and become "Pokemon" but with real toys.

You might as well get the Darklight Crypt to get him the undead char (plus a new area). That one isn't too impossible to find - yet ;).

Sorry since my question doesn't relate to the deal much but I told my uncle to get this to play with his daughter, he took it the wrong way and got it for me. I have this thing waiting to be exchanged because he gavee the receipt but is it actually fun and worth it?

[quote name='garrett007']Sorry since my question doesn't relate to the deal much but I told my uncle to get this to play with his daughter, he took it the wrong way and got it for me. I have this thing waiting to be exchanged because he gavee the receipt but is it actually fun and worth it?[/QUOTE]

I would say is worth if only if you have children or small ones in your house. If you a hardcore gamer then I doubt is worth the $70 dollar it cost. Is only fun when playing with other people in co-op. Even then the game holds your hand and never really lets go. Think Diablo but bare bone with kid oriented theme and no good loot. Kids will love it for sure, and honestly I think most people find collecting the toys more addictive than the game itself.

[quote name='io']You might as well get the Darklight Crypt to get him the undead char (plus a new area). That one isn't too impossible to find - yet ;).[/QUOTE]

I searched online with not results. I will check local gamestop. I know Bestbuy, Walmart, Kmart, and Target do not have a single toy/adventure. They just have the game itself. I already told him he should wait, but maybe I will cave and get it if I see it at gamestop. I have less trouble spending money for friends/family but if its for me then hell no! Too expensive!

[quote name='xRemnant']

I searched online with not results. I will check local gamestop. I know Bestbuy, Walmart, Kmart, and Target do not have a single toy/adventure. They just have the game itself. I already told him he should wait, but maybe I will cave and get it if I see it at gamestop. I have less trouble spending money for friends/family but if its for me then hell no! Too expensive![/QUOTE]

Your best bet is ToysRUs. The three different ones I have gone to this past week have had the Crypt Adventure Pack in stock. It is the only one they have and there were about 30 of them on the shelves. I believe they had an exclusivity deal on them, which is why they still have so many.

[quote name='DonWii']Your best bet is ToysRUs. The three different ones I have gone to this past week have had the Crypt Adventure Pack in stock. It is the only one they have and there were about 30 of them on the shelves. I believe they had an exclusivity deal on them, which is why they still have so many.[/QUOTE]

Only problem is TRU sells it for $24.99 and it is $19.99 everywhere else. But yeah, they do seem better stocked on it than most places. I saw Darklight Crypts at Best Buy last week but most are probably gone now.

So... Best Buy has the single packs listed online and a few stores near me showed them in stock for store pickup. I called one and they said they didn't have any. But I just decided to put in an order for 3 at another store. Much to my surprise, they fulfilled it. I have no idea what they pulled (and won't find out till Thursday night when I head up there). But they don't let you pick characters online so it will be 3 random ones and could be 3 of the same ones :rofl:. If they don't have what I'm looking for I'll just cancel the pickup.

[quote name='DonWii']Your best bet is ToysRUs..[/QUOTE]

Problem is Toys R Us is overpricing these toys. They charge $25 for the Adventure packs and $10 for the characters when is suppose to be $20 and $8 respectively. They actually the only store I know has everything in stock. I refuse to pay more when its already expensive at retail value. Funny, I showed him a video of death skylanders and now he asking for Chop chop.

I appreciate everyone input on the matter! Thank you.
This deal is really good, to bad is out of stock already!

[quote name='DonWii']Your best bet is ToysRUs. The three different ones I have gone to this past week have had the Crypt Adventure Pack in stock. It is the only one they have and there were about 30 of them on the shelves. I believe they had an exclusivity deal on them, which is why they still have so many.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not an exclusive. Plenty at Best Buy usually as well.

can you use two of the same characer? I.e. if i have a whirlwind, but then buy this, can both my niece and I each use our whirlwind in the game and level them differently? Or does it only recognize one?

[quote name='Kenshindono']can you use two of the same characer? I.e. if i have a whirlwind, but then buy this, can both my niece and I each use our whirlwind in the game and level them differently? Or does it only recognize one?[/QUOTE]

That's actually a very good question. A quick Google search lead to this thread over at GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/622840-skylanders-spyros-adventure/61504729

According to the few repliers, it's possible. Though I'm not sure how reliable the repliers are, but it doesn't make sense that one wouldn't be able to use two of the same Skylanders at once (at least in my logic).

[quote name='Gamer SDP']whoa how did the price for Whirlwind jump? weren't they going for around $30-$40 around Christmas?[/QUOTE]
About $50 around then I think. Look at the price of Cynder on ebay now. $50 - $60 for a preorder of it. Christ.

[quote name='Kenshindono']can you use two of the same characer? I.e. if i have a whirlwind, but then buy this, can both my niece and I each use our whirlwind in the game and level them differently? Or does it only recognize one?[/QUOTE]

The figures have their own RAM memory, which allows you to take your character to someone else's house, regardless of format (with a few exceptions), and play on their system. So my PS3 Prism Break could be summoned on my friend's 360 version of the game, accrue some gold and XP, and bring them back to my game at home. So there's no conflict there if you have multiples.

On the other hand, the way your "stable" is laid out, I don't think the system will display multiples. So there may not be any way to choose which version of which character you are addressing (even if you gave them a unique name).

My gut says it should work. Otherwise the whole "play at your friend's house" feature would run into complications. Kids should be able to play their favorite character in coop, for example, even if they all like Spyro the best. ;)

[quote name='kk012']I saw and picked up this new 3 pack in-store for $19.99 at Target this morning.[/QUOTE]

Could you post the DPCI number from your receipt?

I just grabbed this pack & the Empire of Ice pack from GS about an hour ago. They had one of each - the guy said they just got them in today, and he was wondering how long they would last. He said they had been there about 5 hours. :p

[quote name='kk012']207-00-0047[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Apparently, Target uses the same DPCI for multiple 3-packs, which makes the inventory checker useless for finding this specific one.

[quote name='argyle']I just grabbed this pack & the Empire of Ice pack from GS about an hour ago. They had one of each - the guy said they just got them in today, and he was wondering how long they would last. He said they had been there about 5 hours. :p[/QUOTE]

AWESOME! Thank you for posting this. I just called my closest GS and they have this (Empire of Ice - not the 3-pack unfortunately) and are holding it for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the location packs (like Empire of Ice) give you an actual new level to play, not just a new character to use?

[quote name='ShockandAww']Damn I should have checked GS today. I only checked a Walmart and got nothing out of it.[/QUOTE]

I checked the two local GS, and there was nothing.

Of course YMMV, when people are reporting stores getting a single item of each. At that point all it takes is an employee purchasing the item, and it would've never made it to the floor.

[quote name='dragonjud']I checked the two local GS, and there was nothing.

Of course YMMV, when people are reporting stores getting a single item of each. At that point all it takes is an employee purchasing the item, and it would've never made it to the floor.[/QUOTE]

At one GS they said they got 2 of them. So, yeah, not too easy to find - luckily I called ahead and had it held because just walking in to the store it didn't look like they had anything as whatever else they got (Pirate Seas and Darklight Crypt for sure) sold out before I could get there.

My son is playing Slam Bam right now. It really is a cool figure - it has some weight to it compared to most of the others and has translucent blue plastic which looks pretty neat. It smells though - has that really new plastic smell that the others don't have. It must be that blue stuff ;). The only other figures I've ever had that smelled so much were some Blue Dragon figures I picked up on clearance from TRU.

Just got the following email from amazon:

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on January 10, 2012.

"Skylanders Spyro's Adventure: Cynder"
"Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Triple Character Pack (Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant)"

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on March 04, 2012, if we haven't located it by then.

I also contacted them yesterday asking about the status of this since Walmart cancelled my Empire of Ice pack. Because of the email they upgrades my shipping to 2 day for free. Now all I need is confirmation that these will become available.

Got the same email. Glad I picked up the figures I ordered at Walmart earlier this week. Same with the Empire of Ice at Walmart. Picked up at Best Buy.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm legitimately curious- what do you fellow CAGs find so great about this game? I mean, people give Capcom crap for locking DLC on the disk all the time, but isn't this like the exact same thing, except you have to buy overpriced action figures instead of unlock codes? It just seems to me like this would be the embodiment of what CAGs HATE for a game developer to do, and I can't believe it's doing so well.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm legitimately curious- what do you fellow CAGs find so great about this game? I mean, people give Capcom crap for locking DLC on the disk all the time, but isn't this like the exact same thing, except you have to buy overpriced action figures instead of unlock codes? It just seems to me like this would be the embodiment of what CAGs HATE for a game developer to do, and I can't believe it's doing so well.[/QUOTE]

You should probably ask this in the general gaming thread, rather than in deals.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306041

I was originally made curious by the interactive toy element; the game concept reminded me of one from my youth (Captain Power). The game itself is standard hack-n-slash action RPG (think Gauntlet with more visible stats, unlockable skills, and a few collectibles for replay value), but the playing of the thing (swapping in characters by physically removing figures from the 'portal') is novel and fun.

I don't have as much cash into the Skylanders franchise as a lot of people do (I have 1 character of each type, plus an additional character who was part of the 3-pack from my final purchase); I even bought the original game used on Amazon to keep my costs down and not overly incentivize Activision. (In total, I'm in a little over the regular retail price of one of the starter sets.) Even having said that, I haven't dismissed the possibility of buying more figures....because I'm enjoying playing the game quite a bit.

You can actually play through the whole game with the 3 figures that are included, and for the 360 you can get all the achievements with just the 3 figures too.

So its not that bad, buying the extra figures is completely optional, however many people choose to buy them. The problem is that the figures are not in stock anywhere.

This method of DLC is not bad, you get something physical, its just that they need to get with stocking these things so people can actually get them.

The figures can also be wiped of all data and resold, unlike DLC that cannot be resold, some figures can be used while in the package if you are careful and then you can wipe the data and sell them as new in package.

I will get this when I find a big set of figures at a yard sale for cheap because eventually this will become the next rock band or guitar hero, but I am not paying retail for it because the figures are hard to find still.

Just found one of these at the Reston, VA Best Buy and there is still one left! They also have two each of the triple packs of which one has drobot and the other has stealth elf. Can't remember the rest from memory. No singles or adventure packs though.

Just got a confirmation email from amazon that the 3 pack will finally ship. Should be here monday or tuesday. Now I just need confirmation on Cynder. My son will be happy. Now on to bigger and better things. Hopefully the Giants will not be this much of a pain the ass to track down.

[quote name='jericholic101']Just got a confirmation email from amazon that the 3 pack will finally ship. Should be here monday or tuesday. Now I just need confirmation on Cynder. My son will be happy. Now on to bigger and better things. Hopefully the Giants will not be this much of a pain the ass to track down.[/QUOTE]

I hope that means I'll get my confirmation soon. I'm not overly-obsessed or anything but I've been nervous that Amazon was going to drop the ball on this.

I just visited 2 Toys R Us and they seemed to have gotten a shipment recently. It was interesting that both stores had exactly the same lot of figures. Hex, Wrecking Ball, Eruptor, Boomer. Of course they didnt have the only 2 im missing: Regular Chop Chop and Cynder.

Finally got my order today from Amazon. Now all I need is to track down Hex and await confirmation on Cynder and will have captured them all, until the next wave that is.

[quote name='jericholic101']Finally got my order today from Amazon. Now all I need is to track down Hex and await confirmation on Cynder and will have captured them all, until the next wave that is.[/QUOTE]

Have a spare Hex that's unopen if you want to buy/trade

[quote name='thegame85']I just visited 2 Toys R Us and they seemed to have gotten a shipment recently. It was interesting that both stores had exactly the same lot of figures. Hex, Wrecking Ball, Eruptor, Boomer. Of course they didnt have the only 2 im missing: Regular Chop Chop and Cynder.[/QUOTE]

Same ones I saw at Gamestop and Kmart today. Picked up Wrecking ball and the gremlin with the dynomite.

[quote name='jericholic101']Finally got my order today from Amazon. Now all I need is to track down Hex and await confirmation on Cynder and will have captured them all, until the next wave that is.[/QUOTE]

Lucky. Still waiting on mine (delayed until who knows when).

bread's done
Back