Opinions of people with Wii and Xbox 360.

canadiancrowe

CAG Veteran
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have a 360 right now but have been contemplating trading it (over craigslist) for a Wii. I find I get bored of the 360 games fairly quickly and rarely go back ot them, even though I enjoy them at the time. However when I had a Gamecube I would often go through the Nintendo games over again.

Is it worth trading a 360 for a Wii? I'm sure there will be games I want for 360, but I think wii might be better. any opinions on teh subject?

also what would be a decent trade for all of this:

xbox 360 premium
CoD4
Orange Box
Smackdown 2008
DMC4
Condemned
CoD2
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Rock Band (game only)
Guitar Hero 2(w/guitar)
Guitar hero 3 (game only)
Bioshock (collectors edition)
Marvel ultimate Alliance (gold edition)

I have both and I feel that they compliment each other very well.
They both have strong points that the other system does not have.
The Virtual Console and soon to be WiiWare AND Xbox Live Arcade are all excellent sources of cheaper downloadable games. Having access to both? = Win

With the Wii you'll get, of course, access to all the typical first party stuff. With the 360, you'll get stuff people don't wanna make for the Wii :lol: But I say that in a good way.

The 360 will give you some amazing graphics. Before people come in here and cry and defend the Wii and say OMGGG GRAFIX RN'T EVERYTHING.. it's true, but some 360 games look beautiful.

Xbox Live is a great service, and if you enjoy playing online games you WILL NOT find this on the Wii. Sure, Brawl is good.. but it's a pain in the ass to get the friend codes. Lack of communication is annoying too.

But in the end, all the good and the bad of each system somehow really compliment each other.

My advice: Don't trade in your 360 for a Wii. Find some other means to get a Wii (Saving? Birthday? Whatever?)

HOWEVER, if you look at the current lineup of 360 games for the year and there REALLY isn't anything that remotely interests you..then..that's different.

Thanks for the response!

You have great points. I'm weird when it comes to consoles. Last gen I went from the Gc to the PS2 back to the GC. For some reason, I'm a one console guy too (Ifigure I'll spend too much money if I have two).

I'm not too concerned with online. i mean ive sunk a fair amount of time into CoD4 but other than that I dont think id renew my Live subscription.

THe only think I think I'd miss are games like bioshock and the rock Band DLC. I'm not big into GTA or even ninja gaiden. I think I'd rather have games that are fun to pick up and play from time to time (I'm 23 and starting a careers soon)

I own both, and I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I've seriously thought about selling my 360 because I don't touch it much. That being said, I've convinced myself not to sell it because there will be a few games that I'll want to play that I'll need my 360 to play them (ie GTA4, Resident Evil 5, Banjo 3). You've bought the 360, you might as well keep it. Save up for the Wii. I've just found that personally, I'll regret selling something and wanting it back later. So I just hold on to stuff.

I was a Wii only owner and bought a 360 in Sept. Since that time, I've convinced 3 other Wii only owners to pick up 360s. You miss out on a lot having a Wii only and if you have an HDTV, you're not doing it justice. Most Wii games are better with groups, theres a couple gems in there but you'll lose out to a lot of the better single player experiences of 360 games. They really do compliment each other well.

Looking at all your 360 games, there isn't enough Wii stuff that you could trade me for that :lol:

Keep both systems. If you sell off a few of those newer 360 games, you will have knocked off a huge part of the cost of a Wii. I have had the 360 since launch, and I just picked up a Wii a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I have both. I have the Wii to play Super Smash Bros., Wii Sports, and Pikmin (GC) and I have my 360 to play Rock Band, Halo 3, The Orange Box, Dead Rising, Fifa, and a few other games. I'm glad I have both now, and although I was ignoring my 360 for the first couple weeks to play Pikmin on my Wii, it's been beaten now so I'm going back to it.

[quote name='canadiancrowe']I have a 360 right now but have been contemplating trading it (over craigslist) for a Wii. I find I get bored of the 360 games fairly quickly and rarely go back ot them, even though I enjoy them at the time. However when I had a Gamecube I would often go through the Nintendo games over again.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then I'd consider getting a Wii. Right now, there isn't a ton of Nintendo first-party stuff, but what is there is golden.

I'd suggest getting both, because that's what I'm planning on doing once I've got enough disposable income to be able to afford a 360. The two systems cover completely different segments of the market, and it seems like you'd get almost everything worthwhile in this generation save for a few Sony exclusives with the two of them.

The Wii has great, fun games, but they're limited in scope. Unless you have something else, you won't get very many serious action games, racing sims, or decent online multiplayer. On the other hand, none of the other consoles offer the same level of fun local multiplayer (i.e. invite friends over to play) as the Wii, and Nintendo's single player games are also top-notch.

I'd say certainly try to get a Wii and something else. Since you already have a 360, just try to hold onto it if you can. Myself, I have a PC to complement my Wii, and it's great. I get all the fun and flexibility of owning a console, but I can also play games like Call Of Duty 4 online, which is a totally different style of gaming.

Nintendo is more reliable.
Almost all the people I know have gotten the red rings :/

Game wise...Nintendo seems to target younger people,with most of their games.
Like everyone else is saying...buy both.

I have both systems and could not think of doing without either of them now. I do play my 360 a lot more, which is probably because the Wii is a party system, and it is not the time of the year for people to come over much.

Each one has its strengths, so try to get both!

I hate to sound one sided here but I often find myself dusting off my Wii at the next major release. Since I got my Wii at launch I played Wii sports and Zelda and bought only a handful of games since. Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Ware, Super Mario Galaxy, and Brawl. The only games out of all these games I purchased that I was interested enough to play for any length of time were Brawl and Galaxy. I have yet to complete Zelda, wario ware and paper Mario haven't touched my wii at all and prime 3 well I would have loved to play it but never did. I loved the gamecube but the Wii feels gimmicky if you will. I guess I'm just stuck on regular controllers.

On the other hand I play my 360 all the time. The jump to HD is a major selling point for me as I have an HDTV and games look fantastic on it. whereas with wii games they look kinda meh. Having spent a great deal with Halo 2 online on the old xbox I find myself much more attracted to playing online then I did years ago. I could do without online play but it adds a ton of replay value that I rarely regret purchases with a solid online component. Once again Nintnedo is kind of lacking in the online department replacing an easy to use gamertag and friend list system with a convoluted friend cod system where you have to register your friends my a 16 digit code. Furthermore, if you want to play a game online with friends you have to register them AGAIN in game to play with them. The wii is a great console for those who just want a simpler cheaper experience but my 360 serves me better for the type of gaming I enjoy.

To sum things up I enjoy my 360 more than my wii because it utilizes HD, has better online, and uses a controller which bears a likeness to controllers I've used in the past. (In that it does nothing new besides wireless)
This is just one man's poorly written take (partly because I'm tired and partly because I get ahead of myself rather quickly) so don't take anything here too seriously.

I like playing the Wii, but really I find myself only playing VC games. Really, the Wii I have has seen more play time when I'm not home and my roommate and his drunk friends want to swing the remote at my fucking TV. I actually find it a burden for this sole purpose.... not really worth owning right now and jeopardizing my AV equipment.

To me, Wii games don't have much single player "replayability." You have to have multiple friends with you to have any multiplayer and sometimes that just isn't in the cards. This is why I love the 360, because it has a ton of major games that absolute shine with Live. I can pick up one remote, crank up my volume and play with friends that live 300 miles away. Basically this is impossible for the Wii I have found. Between friend codes and dodgy connection status, I don't bother with trying to play with other people online.

Another thing is HD. I have over $2000 in AV equipment and I like to use it to its full potential. I guess the 360 has spoiled me here. Hearing footsteps behind you and beautifully rendered scenery is something the Wii can't do (or doesn't do well), and I feel adds HUGE amounts to a game. If your TV is high def, you should keep your 360.

Your game catalog is stacked. This is what doesn't make sense to me. If you are feeling bored with games like that and are considering a trade for a Wii, you might fare well with getting rid of the 360. If games like COD4, Orange Box, Bioshock, and Mass Effect are boring you then you really might consider getting rid of it. Those are the top breeds of the games available. But don't be surprised if the Wii is just as boring. You might just be growing out of the game playing stage.

All very good points, Thanks!

Let me ask a few more questions.

I have my 360 hooked up to a monitor right now, and to be honest, i guess I'm not miling the Hd enough but I'm not that impressed.

As for the games. i loved them when i played them. CoD4 is one of the best shooters I've played. But it lost its lustre pretty fast. Orange Box and bioshock, also very very amazing, but I've since tried to go through them again. I wasn't really feeling it.

Online is also something i might be able to do without. I mean i really like my 360, its amazing, but I'm also worried that it might break at any minute.

Finally, the virtual channel. Is it any good. how many games will fit on the wii?

The thing that makes me want to keep the 360 is all of the Rock band DLC and the eventual DLc on TNA Impact and Smackdown 2009.

I think a lot of games on the Wii have tremendous replay value, Smash Bros. in particular. I've already put more time into that game than I have Gears of War/Halo 3 (Wii60 owner here). If you like Nintendo games, I'd say it's worth getting both, although I'm not sure if trading your 360 would be the best idea here. It's really up to you and what you personally want.

The Wii's Virtual Console is very excellent. There are tons of good retro games on there, although you'll want to pick up a classic controller for playing them. If you really like DLC, you might want to stick with the 360, as there is none on the Wii (at the moment, anyways). What you want to do really depends on what games you like to play and how you want to play them.

[quote name='canadiancrowe']All very good points, Thanks!

Let me ask a few more questions.

I have my 360 hooked up to a monitor right now, and to be honest, i guess I'm not miling the Hd enough but I'm not that impressed.

As for the games. i loved them when i played them. CoD4 is one of the best shooters I've played. But it lost its lustre pretty fast. Orange Box and bioshock, also very very amazing, but I've since tried to go through them again. I wasn't really feeling it.

Online is also something i might be able to do without. I mean i really like my 360, its amazing, but I'm also worried that it might break at any minute.

Finally, the virtual channel. Is it any good. how many games will fit on the wii?

The thing that makes me want to keep the 360 is all of the Rock band DLC and the eventual DLc on TNA Impact and Smackdown 2009.[/quote]

You sound alot like me as far as smackdown vs raw 2009, and tna impact is concerned. That, and gears of war 2 is the biggest reason's I'm keeping my 360. I have a 360,ps3, and a wii. I don't think I would trade away your 360 for a wii if I was you. There is something good,and bad about each console. As far as vc games I have no idea there usually not that big even the n64 games.

You can fit plenty of games on the Wii's memory. The VC is better than Live Arcade in my opinion, but that's a given... you're playing games you grew up with. It's almost apples and oranges. What does suck is paying for games you already own. I could pull out my Wave Race cartridge right now, but I still have to pay $10 to play it on the Wii. Same goes with pretty much every game I've bought.

As far as the memory, a 1GB or 2GB SD card is very inexpensive. You can get a 2GB ~$12-15 if you wait and search hard.

I'd say keep your 360, and sell some of your games. Wii's can be found used under retail (like it should be). I got my Wii with an extra controller with three games (Zelda, Warioware, Tiger Woods) for $300. Go for the Wii60 combo.

I was a Wii only owner until I bought a 360 in december...they both are great...i used toget bored of my wii sometimes(until super smash bros was released)...but xbox keeps me busy all the time..offline and online play is good...so think about it really well before you decide to get rid of the 360...

I have a Wii and PS3 and they compliment each other very well. If the Nintendo 1st party games weren't so damn fun, the Wii graphics would make me vomit. Aside from Mario kart and Fit, I don't even know what else is in the pipeline for Wii

I think it all comes down to the games but here's maybe another perspective - I own both and I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the Wii. Nintendo games have traditionally been my favorites but I'm starting to get sick of playing the same game over and over and over - especially since there is practically no visual upgrade between the GCN and the Wii. So far I've only had the interest in playing Wii Sports (very very good), Zelda (good but not as good as Wind Waker, IMO), RE4 (great but I already beat it to death on Gamecube), Metroid Prime 3 (very good but not as good as the original MP) and Super Mario Galaxy (I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this one). There's nothing really on the horizon for me either since I don't like SSB and Mario Kart hasn't held my interest since the 64 version. The more violent/mature games on the 360 seem (to me) to be the games I want to play at this point in my life (as much as I love cutesy platformers and odder titles like ICO, Loco Roco, Patapon, etc.). I play my 360 every single day but I only play the Wii once or twice a month (unless there's a week in there I'm actually playing through something)...

I was Wii only and picked up a PS3 and do not regret it one bit, I had the 360 but got the same feeling you did, I dumped it and then got the wii on release day.

This last year there were just to many good deals on the PS3 and Blu was calling.... Anyway what I am saying is consider both, if that doesn't seem to fit, and you are worried about reliability sell the 360 and pick up a console later to compliment the Wii.

If you sell all those games and get a Wii with a few games you should be busy for a while.

[quote name='canadiancrowe']

Is it worth trading a 360 for a Wii? [/quote]

Your question is like asking - if you're plugging a hot girl, are you going to break up with her to plug her ugly friend?

No... you wouldn't. So no, don't do it. :x

I have wii and 360 and can say that i play my 360 more. I have played some good games for the wii.. Resident Evil 4, Mario Galaxy, No more Heroes, SSBB, even Manhunt 2 was interesting. But out of all my wii games ive only gone through No More Heroes more than once, and pretty much sold them all cept no more heroes and SSBB yet. Nothing really that i can say i will never resell. As for the 360, i feel they have better games, games that ive played more than once, though achievements might have helped that some. I have 4 games at the moment that i wont sell, GOW, Bioshock, Crackdown, and Halo 3. But we all have different tastes. But from my experience i think the 360 is better. I even had a point in time where i never played Wii and thought about selling it. But i didnt. The Virtual Console hasnt been what i thought it would be for me. When i heard about it and didnt have a wii yet i was all ready to buy some old titles from NES and SNES. Ive done that and have about 12 games. But the thing is i hardly ever play any of them. So just make sure you know it will be worth it if you trade.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Your question is like asking - if you're plugging a hot girl, are you going to break up with her to plug her ugly friend?

No... you wouldn't. So no, don't do it. :x[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if the "hot girl" had a ton of use on her, was boring to you, and overheated, or left "red rings", while the "ugly girl" could give you a real "workout"......

To no great surprise, this is ... oh .. let's say ... a highly subjective topic.

Facetious answer? Ditch the 360. If a Wii doesn't get you interested in games again, playing "the same ol shit, better resolution" on the 360 ain't gonna do it, either.

Serious answer? Personally, I've had a 360 and a Wii for the exact same amount of time -- I got the Wii at launch and since my birthday is right around there, scored a 360 from some exceptionally generous relatives. At this point, I own about a half dozen Wii games and about eight 360 games, so the "must play" games are comparable, I'd say (or slightly better for the Wii, since the 360 didn't have that many games I needed to own until recently). Like you, I tend to play my "filler" games on the 360 -- whatever big game is being hyped at the moment or whatever random-ass game appeals to me between big releases. So I may play my 360 slightly more, based on sheer amount of time playing, but most of that time is spent on games that, if I could travel back in time to tell myself exactly what the game would be like, I probably wouldn't have bothered with. Crackdown, the Darkness, Assassin's Creed, and more. They were fun ... but I really could have lived without playing them. I don't feel that way about Metroid, Galaxy, or even Twilight Princess. What I'm saying is this: you're foolishly turning your back on some excellent games if you go with just one system. You're better off buying fewer "good, but not stellar" games for both systems rather than just having one system, and more "it was awright" experiences.

Also, the upcoming line-up on both systems seems a little dry at the moment, unless you're dying for Mario Kart or Ninja Gaiden (which, I, personally, am not). However, I expect the equivalent of E3 to bring some announcements, so now might be a bad time to unload any system.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I sold my wii but then stole it back and then lend it to my fat friend albert who sold it for crack.[/QUOTE]

I hate when that happens.

So that that is why you did that podcast as manaknight. :D

[quote name='Zen Davis']I sold my wii but then stole it back and then lend it to my fat friend albert who sold it for crack.[/quote]

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah, but if the "hot girl" had a ton of use on her, was boring to you, and overheated, or left "red rings", while the "ugly girl" could give you a real "workout"......[/quote]
To add to this analogy...

She (the Wii) is nice and small and you can swing her around plus she's fun in bed. Also her "disk slot" is nice and tight.

In all honesty...I barely play my Wii. It is fun for a novelty, but it is not my go to console. I lov ethe 360 for FPS/Sports and more. I guess I have only played a few Wii games, but I still like the 360 much better.

Your list includes 5 shooters. That leads me to believe you enjoy the genre and would be missing out a ton by switching to Wii.

I just bought a Wii to complement my 360 and couldn't be happier. My tastes include shooters and sandbox games like Oblivion/Crackdown/GTA, another genre that seems attracted to the 360. If you can afford the initial hardware purchase, I honestly don't think you'll spend more money on games with two consoles. That is if you force yourself to play through games before buying new ones. When the generation dies down, you will get the best bang for your buck when all the platinum titles are in the bargain bin.

The Wii doesn't have near the games of the 360 IMO. I see the Wii as something fun to play with a group but the 360 is my main console for single player games (or playing online) which is what I'm doing 98% of the time I'm gaming.

You sound like you like the Nintendo games more, so you might be happy to do it.

Personally, I would never do that. I also have both, and I also find myself playing the 360 at every opportunity. I have yet to open Super Mario Galaxy. The games are great for the Wii, but they are a lot fewer in scope, and unless you like to replay games (I personally don't), you may find yourself going for periods where you don't buy any new games, or only play VC releases.

Just keep both. You get expereinces that complement each other. HD shooters and good plataformers ect. If you get "bored" with it, are you an XBL gold user?

Like everyone else said, you need to have both. At the moment I play my Wii more but once GTA4 comes out, the little white box will be taking a nap for many moons. At the same time, another Wii game will come along eventually that'll put my 360 back on hiatus.

Yeah but the OP is wondering if they should trade their 360 for a Wii, so i dont think having both is an option. If i had to pick one i would go with 360.

bread's done
Back