Opinions on buying gold Taco Bell PS4 as investment/long term flip?

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
The total quantity of these: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2015/taco-bell-limited-edition-gold-ps4-bundle/ is just over 6000 units, and I've noticed the price on some ebay auctions (not buy it now) is between $500-600..which doesn't seem like too much of a premium considering the rarity.  By contrast, the grey 20th Anniversary Edition consoles (with over twice as many units made) are regularly going for $1200+.

I'm not a collector, the gold PS4 looks like a deal and I was thinking of buying a system to flip in a few years once they are harder to find and the price is (hopefully) higher.  I've never researched how limited edition consoles with this quantity fare over time, and am looking for opinions on whether it would be a good investment.  Any thoughts?

Video games dont tend to make good investments. I wouldnt expect the value of either of those consoles to rise any in the future. They likely wont drop much in value but you wont be making anything of it either.

The 20th Anniversary PS4 is priced higher because there is more demand for it. It's more desirable because it marks a special milestone for Sony/Playstation and it's modeled after a PS1, so it has that nostalgia factor. The Taco Bell PS4 isn't gold for any special reason and there isn't anything different about the console other than the gold on the console and the gold controller, no badges or special markings/designs.

I could maybe see a little profit once the winners of the contest have slowed down on selling theirs, but it probably wouldn't be worth having that much money tied up in the investment. There is also a possibility that the price just goes down as the PS4 gets older and the price in stores continues to go down. Sony has been releasing enough special edition PS4 consoles to satisfy people who want to be different and they could end up releasing a similar gold console for sale in stores, driving the price down on the Taco Bell bundles.

OP,

You say you've done your research, please link to consoles from the last two generations that have skyrocketed in value... I don't think you'll find many.

Like baseball cards I feel like collectibe video games and related items are in a bubble that is going to burst because everyone has seen how much retro games go for so everyone has started collecting. The reason retro games are so valuable is because nobody thought to collect them (or at least very few).

In a few years there will still be many units of this PS4, and every other limited release, sealed in someones basement.

I mean you can probably make a profit in the future, but not the amount that's worth locking up $500-600.  

bread's done
Back