Opoona $14.99 New $12.99

Chlorox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Looks pretty interesting and I plan on picking this up with some of my trade credit. The game got some fairly mixed reviews. On metacritic one particular quote caught my eye "Opoona is one of those once-a-generation type games -- for many hardcore RPG fans this will be a bit of a letdown, but for others it could easily be heightened to the level of the Mother series if another game does come out." from Zentendo.

If the game has similar charm to that of the Mother series then count me in. Anyways thought it was a pretty good deal so I'd share it with everyone. Also Amazon has it at 19.55. Gamestop has it at $14.99 new, not available online but it may be located in store. Used is $12.99 and is available online.

Link:http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=471

[quote name='CaoPi']Another flip thread eh? Who honestly wants to buy and play this game?[/QUOTE]

From the videos I thought it looked interesting. It's got to be worth atleast $12. If not then hell if you can flip it, flip it.

Finally cheap enough to get.

The main complaints I read about long ago involved it having something like a bad translation / numerous spelling problems.

I just thought I'd bump this post for anyone that missed it and I would give some of my impressions after having put in some time with the game.

First off, WOW I was not expecting anything like this. I heard a lot of complaints about graphics and translation. The graphics IMO are beautiful and in some areas you'll be running and the floor will show Opoona's reflection. The translation can be off at points and it's caused me to head in the wrong direction but you'll almost immediately figure out you're going the wrong way.

The battle system is actually quite fun. It's simplistic and most battles won't last more than 30 seconds. You fling your "bon bon" at enemies with the nunchuk's stick. You can fling your bon bon different ways depending on which way you're moving the stick. You also gain abilities such as healing and power-ups for your bon bon.

The license system is actually really unique and gives you different abilities I'm still stuck on my ranger license but to advance the story I need to get a waiters license and then a license to drill rocks. It seems like it's going to keep the game fresh rather than just battling monsters the whole time.

And by far the biggest complaint by people is that the different areas you visit are WAY too complicated and it's easy to get lost. While this is true in some cases if you just pay attention it won't be too tough to find your way around. There's also signs posted on doors that let you know you're heading towards the shop, the exit, or the license desk.

Overall I'm really impressed and for the $15 I paid the game is well worth it. Anyways sorry for the long ass post I just thought I'd post up my impressions for anyone that was on the fence or who hasn't seen my post already. If you don't care about the game then move along.

[quote name='Chlorox']I just thought I'd bump this post for anyone that missed it and I would give some of my impressions after having put in some time with the game.

First off, WOW I was not expecting anything like this. I heard a lot of complaints about graphics and translation. The graphics IMO are beautiful and in some areas you'll be running and the floor will show Opoona's reflection. The translation can be off at points and it's caused me to head in the wrong direction but you'll almost immediately figure out you're going the wrong way.

The battle system is actually quite fun. It's simplistic and most battles won't last more than 30 seconds. You fling your "bon bon" at enemies with the nunchuk's stick. You can fling your bon bon different ways depending on which way you're moving the stick. You also gain abilities such as healing and power-ups for your bon bon.

The license system is actually really unique and gives you different abilities I'm still stuck on my ranger license but to advance the story I need to get a waiters license and then a license to drill rocks. It seems like it's going to keep the game fresh rather than just battling monsters the whole time.

And by far the biggest complaint by people is that the different areas you visit are WAY too complicated and it's easy to get lost. While this is true in some cases if you just pay attention it won't be too tough to find your way around. There's also signs posted on doors that let you know you're heading towards the shop, the exit, or the license desk.

Overall I'm really impressed and for the $15 I paid the game is well worth it. Anyways sorry for the long ass post I just thought I'd post up my impressions for anyone that was on the fence or who hasn't seen my post already. If you don't care about the game then move along.[/QUOTE]

that was actually pretty helpful, thanks. :bouncy: next time I order anything from GS, I'll throw it in if it's available.

[quote name='DesertLeo']that was actually pretty helpful, thanks. :bouncy: next time I order anything from GS, I'll throw it in if it's available.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help I just can't believe how underrated this game was when it came out. Really offers an experience like no other on the Wii, with the possible exception of Little Kings Story.

I'm just a little further, Chlorox, and it is a fun game. Some of the extra licenses I've gotten so far are like mini-games you can do, but still fun to work toward.

Also, I just noticed last night that - is a shortcut for the minimap (if there is one for the area) and + is a shortcut for the transport. While you can just play with the nunchuk like it suggests, you get a convenience bonus if you use both.

I got this for $17 a while back, and though I haven't played much of it, I have to say that it is by far one of the more unique titles on the Wii. It's a solid, original RPG on a system that is full of shovelware and me-too software.

I got it around when it came out, the license system is fun, but the town hubs are frustratingly laid out. If the license system was a bit more streamlined it would have stayed engaging.
The combat system also doesn't really rev up until the party gets larger.

[quote name='Chlorox']Glad to help I just can't believe how underrated this game was when it came out. Really offers an experience like no other on the Wii, with the possible exception of Little Kings Story.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the thread OP, and thanks for bumping it. now i know to grab it on my way to GS today

I got it at full price, $50, when it first came out and I was not disappointed at all with my purchase. It's quirky and not for everyone, but I loved it.

[quote name='Xiados']I'm just a little further, Chlorox, and it is a fun game. Some of the extra licenses I've gotten so far are like mini-games you can do, but still fun to work toward.

Also, I just noticed last night that - is a shortcut for the minimap (if there is one for the area) and + is a shortcut for the transport. While you can just play with the nunchuk like it suggests, you get a convenience bonus if you use both.[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the - and +. Should make it a little easier to get around in the game :).

[quote name='AiNoKame']$9.99 now![/QUOTE]

Those bastards any chance they'll price adjust? And now you have no excuse not to pick it up.

[quote name='basketb']If it's within 30 days they'll adjust the price. You may have to do a return/rebuy or buy/return, though.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, Thanks!

Damn I was mildly interested in this game because it sounded interesting and I was looking for another game for the Wii, but with what people have said in this thread and the fact that it is now $9.99 and there is one locally... I think I'm gonna have to pick it up.

Picked it up yesterday though ive yet to play it.

Had issues at one of the gamestop locations. No store time was listed and the lady inside ignored us for a bit. Got her attention once and was ignored when I asked what time they opened. Got her attention again and she had all sorts of ill attitude as if I was an idiot for not knowing what time they opened on Sunday, even though no time was posted anywhere. So I went to another and got the DM's number to report the incident. First time ive ever had this sort of an issue with just outright awful attitudes from GS employees. The even MORE ironic part is it was the one Gamestop located in the high-end shopping centers. You'd assume they'd have a better attitude considering they don't get the shadier types of customers walking into other stores.

[quote name='icebeast']Damn I was mildly interested in this game because it sounded interesting and I was looking for another game for the Wii, but with what people have said in this thread and the fact that it is now $9.99 and there is one locally... I think I'm gonna have to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth it. It's a bit like Zelda but without some of the quirks Zeldas have. It's definitely worth $10, by leaps and bounds IMHO.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/ps2/okami/reviews/okamistrev1.html (this is for the Wii one.)

-[Unknown]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chlorox']^looks like somebody got confused by games that start with "O"[/QUOTE]
Ouch! I definitely read Okami. I'm sorry. I was like, "wow, Okami is new for only $15 now?"

Okay, Opoona is a different story. Very cooky, I've played it too. Okami is way better. Go get that instead (actually it's $19 on Amazon, so definitely get it.)

If you've already played Okami, then you can get this. It's worth $10 imho but not $25 or more. IMHO, it's a very simple RPG. But I haven't finished it (because I was more interested in other games.)

Earthbound, imho, had an interesting plot. From what I saw so far, Opoona doesn't have nearly as interesting of one. Bad character development. But, that said, the battle system is definitely innovative, and it's got a cooky feel to it.

Sorry about my confusion.

-[Unknown]

Dropped to $9.99 new and $8.99 for used? It should be a no brainer now for anyone who is looking for a decent RPG on the Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back