Organzing games and regretting purchases?

orbit18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I recently went over to my parents house and saw my old game collections from ps2/xbox/gc. I reorganized everything into platform then by alphabetical order (yeah I'm a nerd like that). :p Anyways, as I was organizing them I saw so many that I regretted buying as I either played half of it, or ten minutes of it, and then never touched it again. Even some games that I beat once just to beat them, and then never touched again. Do you have any games in your collection that you regret purchasing? Just list a few :p

for me:

socom 1
blitz the league
nba street vol 3
burnout 3 takedown
counter strike for xbox

there are countless more, and I have a lot of old gen games

I really research the games I'm interested in a lot, so no I've never bought a game I didn't greatly enjoy.

Although I have been underwhelmed, and I do trade the games I don't care about anymore back in.

A lot of stuff last gen I never really cared to check reviews. I just bought it, especially high "profile" games and beat them once and never touched it again. Now I'm way more conscientious about what I buy, if I do buy at all.

[quote name='orbit18']A lot of stuff last gen I never really cared to check reviews. I just bought it, especially high "profile" games and beat them once and never touched it again. Now I'm way more conscientious about what I buy, if I do buy at all.[/QUOTE]

I usually just stick to gameplay videos and trailers, they've never really lied to me before =p

Resident Evil 5 Collectors Edition for the 360.

Worst $70 I've spent in years. The game is also my vote for worst special/collectors edition of all time.

[quote name='momouchi']I only regret not having enough time to get around to the games I pick up until much later.[/QUOTE]
Sums it up for me. I never buy shitty games, but between buying mediocre games for dirt cheap which adds to an already increasing backlog, or even great games, I regret buying them, knowing I won't have much time to play them, but knowing I must have them in my collection.
'Tis a shitty OCD to have. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']Burnout 3 was awesome.[/QUOTE]

I was about to say this. It's the greatest racing game of all time in my opinion.

I dl'd the demo for Left 4 Dead, and really couldn't get into it. I didn't understand what everyone enjoyed about it. When the game came out, I finally picked it up at $30, and guess what...i still couldn't get into it. Sold it for $18.

I bought Battlefield Bad Company after COD4, played the first mission, and stuck it back on my shelf before trading it in for $15. Once 2 came out, I dl'd the demo and really enjoyed it. I regretted getting rid of BC1, so bought it again and started over. I really "got" the game the second time around, and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Sometimes first impressions are spot-on, sometimes you need to step away from a game and try it again later with a fresh perspective.

Robotech Battlecry for XBox. One of the worst games I have ever played and I bought the special edition that cost a ton extra.

Dozens of PS2 RPGs and 360 games I got cheap but have never opened.

The last one I remember was NBA Street Homecourt. It was a big let down since I loved Vol. 2, especially the soundtrack. Oh and never played Vol. 3.

Same as some of you, I don't regret purchasing the games so much as just purchasing too many games to realistically play in the free time I have. I've still got dozens of PS2 JRPGs waiting on the shelf.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a real problem with being impulsive, and that's only lead to me now having a ridiculously large backlog that I doubt I'll ever complete.

I started to get really meticulous about the games I bought when I got my playstation 1. When I think about some of the games I played on NES, Genesis, and SNES I have to facepalm.

NBA Street V3 and Burnout are both dope games.

Some people hate how all of the NBA Street games are actually different from one another, yet they whine when EA puts out the same Madden every year.

None any more. I had a 4 or 5 games I never got around to playing on last gen consoles that I ended up ditching on Goozex.

But now I only pick up games I intend to play. I guess one exception is my only unplayed game--Fallout 3. I got it off Goozex around this time last year but just haven't had time/motivation for such a long game.

That I should have waited on as now I could get the game of the year edition easily when I get around to it (this summer probably).

[quote name='Rozz']NBA Street V3 and Burnout are both dope games.

Some people hate how all of the NBA Street games are actually different from one another, yet they whine when EA puts out the same Madden every year.[/QUOTE]

I didn't post those necessarily because they were bad games. Just they ended up being games I bought based off impulse and then played maybe twice and never touched them again. Not because I didn't like them, just never came back to them. Happens a bit, though I'm a lot more careful thoough.

And now it sucks, because i would like to sell games from my ps2 collection (the ones I really didn't like) but what am I gunna make? Like 50 cents off blitz the league lol. So i'm better off keeping them. Unless theres a better way to get rid of them and still gain some benefit.

Oh and some arcade games on xbla are a big regret too. (Looks at arcadian warriors)

Dnate those older not worth so much games to the child's play fundraiser, if they are sealed. If I buy a game it is to play now for the most part. If I don't like it I get rid of it. Even if I like a game, once done with it I sell it and get the most I can at the time. With the exception of some rpg's and a few other games, it rarely is beneficial to hang onto games for a profit later.

The one I regret is GTA 4 but not because I didn't enjoy it or anything but because it came out two days before I was scheduled to fly out for some classes for work. I had the option to bring along any thing I wanted and even debated bringing along my 360 to play at the hotel I stayed at. I used my best judgment and left it home. While I was out there I met the girl who is now my gf (going on 2 years) and we really hit it off and I have yet to even unwrap the game. :/

[quote name='crowbb']Robotech Battlecry for XBox. One of the worst games I have ever played and I bought the special edition that cost a ton extra.[/QUOTE]

I remember Battlecry being extremely hard for some reason. I could never beat it.

Most of the games I'd regret in my collection were given to me as gifts. Which thinking about it, probably explains a lot about why I don't talk to people anymore. :razz:

I generally don't have any purchases I actually regret, as if it's a game I didn't care for, I might've spent 10 bucks on at the most. Ones I couldn't get into at all however were Assassin's Creed and Ninety Nine Nights. For the former, when you find out what you do at the very beginning of the game, it just pulled me out of the game, and I just couldn't get back into it.

I want to go back and play socom, but I know its so outdated and i wonder if people still play it. Last time I messed around with it, there were a lot of speed hackers or something.

I don't have a specific game that I regret; more like a genre.

I regret buying every single racing sim I've ever owned because I always played them for a week and then sold them. They never catch my attention but I always buy them.

[quote name='Ed_']The one I regret is GTA 4 but not because I didn't enjoy it or anything but because it came out two days before I was scheduled to fly out for some classes for work. I had the option to bring along any thing I wanted and even debated bringing along my 360 to play at the hotel I stayed at. I used my best judgment and left it home. While I was out there I met the girl who is now my gf (going on 2 years) and we really hit it off and I have yet to even unwrap the game. :/[/QUOTE]

Well, definitely made the right decision not bringing the 360. But, why wouldn't you open it when you got home (I'm sure you've played video games since then, and you were interested enough to buy it).

I actually feel bad for anyone who says they don't regret a purchase...or at least that they've never bought a bad game. I think it's good to step out from the genre's you usually play or if your strapped to just reviews. If something looks interesting, I'll drop $10 on it. Some I've loved, some I've pretty much hated. But, if you don't try new ones, you can't find that fun game that you wouldn't have tried otherwise.

I loved Burnout 3 (got almost every gold I think). So I got Burnout Revenge when it came out, and I really didn't like it much at all, only played it a few times. Can't say I regret buying it since it was a gift, but I do regret asking for it.

[quote name='Blackout']I remember Battlecry being extremely hard for some reason. I could never beat it.[/QUOTE]
Robotech Battlecry!!!!!
I loved that game! When Robotech: Crystal Dreams (N64) got cancelled, I was willing to play any Robotech game... although I couldn't bring myself to play the Robotech game that came afterwards. Tried to play it some years later and I couldn't bear the game for 2 minutes.

I have over 100 PS2 games right now, they're in bins, I'm wondering should I display them in my game room, or should I just keep them in bins. I'd have to buy another CD shelf to display them. Right now I have a couple PS2 games (just the one's I'm willing to play now) displayed on my shelf. Actually I have some Nes, Atari games, that need to be displayed. Should I just keep them hidden or put them out?

[quote name='Thomas96']I have over 100 PS2 games right now, they're in bins, I'm wondering should I display them in my game room, or should I just keep them in bins. I'd have to buy another CD shelf to display them. Right now I have a couple PS2 games (just the one's I'm willing to play now) displayed on my shelf. Actually I have some Nes, Atari games, that need to be displayed. Should I just keep them hidden or put them out?[/QUOTE]

What would be the point of keeping them hidden? Keep them out in the open where you can enjoy them and look at them.

P.S. you should also post pics of your collection.

[quote name='momouchi']I only regret not having enough time to get around to the games I pick up until much later.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Doom 3
Fable II xbox
I was somewhat disappointed with Fallout 3 as well but not enough to say I hated it.

[quote name='youbastards']Sometimes first impressions are spot-on, sometimes you need to step away from a game and try it again later with a fresh perspective.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. I have played many games that I hated the first time around, but when I went back and played them later, they turned out to be awesome games that I could not put down.

I have several games I bought during Steam's holiday sale that I have still not even installed, let alone played. Those would be at the top of my list of regrettable purchases. Though, to be fair, I have been a lot better about purchases in the past few years than I was during the Xbox/PS2/GC days where I would just buy games by the crapload that I never played more than 30 minutes, if at all.

Lately, since I made this thread I've gone back to SOCOM 1, and theres a few people playing each day. I really enjoy the game now, for the MP and SP and I can see why it was fun (or still is). It sucks though, because a lot of the ps2 games networks are down and you cannot play them online especially a lot of EA games for ps2. I checked wikipedia for online ps2 games, but it's very inaccurate of which games are down for good.

I'm regretting accidentally buying two brand new copies of Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition off eBay.... now I have one unopened just sitting here. What a waste of money lol

This has happened to me recently... I've started to get rid of some of my games, especially some SEs, which I picked up on the cheap. I should really clean out my guides too. I buy a lot of stuff simply because they're cheap. It's a habit that I've had since I joined CAG.

bread's done
Back