Origin of Woot

hackedfreak

CAGiversary!
Shakespeare coined the term "woot" and it was first used in Hamlet, when Hamlet states, "show me what thou'lt do: Woo't weep? woo't fight? woo't fast? woo't tear thyself? Woo't drink up eisel? eat a crocodile? I'll do't."

Discuss.

The Shakespeare usage suggests a contraction of words with no correlation to the modern term. To me it has always just suggested the phoneticized version of a triumphant shout.

Hamlet was also the first place where I have seen the word "Holla." It was Act 1 Scene 1 and someone says "Holla Bernardo" (Hoartio (sp?) maybe?).

[quote name='epobirs']The Shakespeare usage suggests a contraction of words with no correlation to the modern term. To me it has always just suggested the phoneticized version of a triumphant shout.[/quote]

I as well.

[quote name='hackedfreak']Shakespeare coined the term "woot" and it was first used in Hamlet, when Hamlet states, "show me what thou'lt do: Woo't weep? woo't fight? woo't fast? woo't tear thyself? Woo't drink up eisel? eat a crocodile? I'll do't."

Discuss.[/quote]

What movie is that in your sig?

The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of leet. wikipedia

WOOT Waste of Our Time
WOOT Way Out of Topic (online forums)
WOOT We Owned the Other Team (gaming term; less common)
WOOT Wonderful Loot (Everquest gaming slang; also seen as W00T)

dictionary.com

[quote name='Lizard Axe']I'm telling you, Rick Flair started it all.[/quote]

I heard Rick Flair was the victim of a horrible mushroom stamp. Discuss

bread's done
Back