Original GBA lighting question

drbutchevil

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Well, I went out yard saling this morning, and came back with one of the original Platinum edition GBA systems. It works fine and all except for the fact its insanely dark. I did some looking around and found that this is the case with all of the versions of gen 1 GBA. Rather than trade the thing in to EB/GS or ebay it, I am wondering if there is a solution to this problem, and if so, what is generally the most used one. I've read a bit about Afterburner, but it seems like its tough to actually find somewhere that actually sells them. Feedback would be most appreciated, even if its a simple "ebay it" or such. Thank you.

Sadly, there's really not much you can do. The Afterburner is by far the best solution. I do recall there were various wormlight type things that plugged into one of the GBA ports, but I don't think they worked well. Back in the day, I don't think people knew any better, and just put up with it. :p IMO, it's not worth the eyestrain to try and play games on it. I say ebay it.

Yeah if you don't want to get rid of it, the Afterburner is the best solution developed as far as I can tell. But like you said, acquiring one might be difficult, especially since the mod became "obsolete" long ago with the introduction of the GBA SP.

I would say that if you did not pay much money for it (and I don't think you did since you got it from a yardsale?) then it might be worth your while to get rid of it and pick up a GBA SP or Micro (or DS Lite) if you want to play GBA games. Otherwise, keep looking for an Afterburner.

I know that the Micros are the cheapest GBA system you can get (at least through standard retail channels) and I personally really enjoy my Micro. With the brightest GBA screen ever made, there's definitely no problems with lighting ! :)

Ruahrc

As the posters have mentioned, the Afterburner is the only good lighting choice for the GBA. The problem is that the market died the day that the GBA SP came out. Even if you did find one, I doubt it would be worth paying the $40 or so and doing the install. The other problem is that even though it's the best choice out there, the lighting isn't even close to the SP.

LOL. I still even have my original black GBA with Afterburner installed. I haven't touched it in years, especially since the DS came out..

Another good option is to buy one of those kits that give you video out to play the GBA on a regular TV. I did that and it is pretty cool, although I have the GameBoy Player for my Cube and don't use the GBA-TV much now.

bread's done
Back