Original Xbox Live sub card on Xbox 360

grifta67

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone.

I'm not finding much insight on this so far, and certainly not a definative answer. I just found an original Xbox Live 12 month sub card at Kmart on clearance. My month free trial just ran out, so I was happy to find this for a good price. I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not this code will work on the 360. I'd love to just punch the code in and try, but then I'd haveta scrape off the card, and if it doesn't work, be screwed on returning it.

I called Xbox Support, and while I had a great rep to talk to, it wasn't very helpful. They suggested 3 ideas.

1. Use it with an original Xbox, then migrate that account to my 360. The problem with that is I would lose my current gamertag and all of my achievements. Thats definately not an option.

2. Just try it. See above, I want to return this if it's not going to work.

3. Sell it to someone that still uses the original Xbox Live. I think that might be close to impossible.

Googling has been a pain and gives me tons of unrelated results since I'm searching for such generic terms. Same for the xbox forums, and the CAG search feature isn't working too well right now for me.

Does anyone have any input or personal experience with using a Xbox 1.0 sub card on their 360?

Thanks everyone!
-Sean

It works. You have to already have an account open, and then just enter the code in as normal. For some reason it doesnt work if you try to open a new account with it.

It won't work. I tried entering one earlier this year to extend my membership and it didn't go through (called Microsoft as well to try and get them to add it on manually). Your best bet is to find someone who is going to be starting up an xbox live membership on either console and selling it to them if you don't want to create a new account.

Conflicting answers again, 2-1 in favor of it working... hmm... Thanks for your input so far!

Dear Mr. Malik112099,

I did try a quick search and didn't find much help within the first 2 or 3 pages of results. And whilst it was indeed on clearance, it was still $35 + tax. I'm not in the habit of just gambling away almost $40. But thank you for your insight nonetheless!

Keep the yays and nays coming in...

It works. I bought it on clearance at Target. Tried it on the 360. Works fine.

XBox Live cards work on the XBox and the XBox 360.

XBox 360 12 month cards work on the XBox 360 but not the XBox. It's weird.

So yes, it will work.

Actually one of the batches don't work on the 360. How do I know? One of my old 2 months I found laying around didn't work. I think the batch that doesn't work are the newer ones, on them they say they don't work with the 360.

Scorch you've always seemed to be awfully reliable, so I think I'll give it a try! Thank you!

[quote name='Scorch']It works. I bought it on clearance at Target. Tried it on the 360. Works fine.

XBox Live cards work on the XBox and the XBox 360.

XBox 360 12 month cards work on the XBox 360 but not the XBox. It's weird.

So yes, it will work.[/quote]

bread's done
Back