Original Xbox on CRT or HDTV

meta460085

CAGiversary!
I'm setting up my game room and can't decide where to put my Xbox. I have hooked up my PS2 and GameCube to my 27" CRT SDTV and my PS3 and X360 to my big screen plasma. I can put my Xbox on the CRT or I can buy a small HDTV for it. I want to know on which of the 2 (CRT or probably small LCD) will the Xbox look best given that most games were 480p or 480i. Thanks for your opinions.

If you plan on keeping the Xbox "vanilla" you won't be missing too much with a CRT, though a lot of games do support 16:9. However, if you plan on tweaking the Xbox you can get all games to output in progressive scan. If going from 480i to 480p makes a difference to you go LCD. If that doesn't matter save your money and keep it on the CRT.

i stick my xbox on the hdtv. It can make the difference in some games. the matrix is a good example. I cant even play it on a standard tv but its really nice on an hdtv.

You know there are CRT HDTV's right? Like the Panasonic Tau and Sony XBR960 and below(not counting 965 as the freaking tube was made by the Chinese and is suppose to be shittier) as well as a few other manufacturers I'm sure.
Look around and you may have no problem finding them. Unless you're desperate for a select few Xbox games that actually will do 1080p reswise you're not missing much("Enter the Matrix", "Syberia", "Dragon's Lair 3D", etc.) as the XBR's max res. is around 720p. Most of the games on original Xbox tended to do that if they were HD at all.

You must use component cables in order to get 480p minimum out of your original XBox. It makes a world of diference over 480i. And while not all XBox games support 480p, enough do to make component output worth it.

If your CRT supports component input and 480p, then just plug your XBox up to it. If it doesn't, then just plug your XBox up to your HDTV with the component cables.

bread's done
Back