Orlando CAGs, where you at?

Otherguy676

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Well, my gf just got accepted to UCF for grad school, so I will now be spending plenty of time in the Orlando area. I have already located several pawn shops and Gamerushes in the Orlando and Oviedo area. Does anyone know of a easy "pawn shop route" (we have one in Tampa that is quick and easy)?

As many have said, East Orlando is pretty dried up... I hit up all the Oviedo, Winter Springs, and UCF Gamestops just about every week, and I can't find very much. I was pretty ecstatic to find a Wavebird, Classic Controller, and No More Heroes in one visit to Oviedo Marketplace, which is all but impossible to accomplish most of the time.

I think Orlando in general is pretty dry, there is a lot of competiton, like in Tampa, but here, pawns do notseem to take in as many older games. Since I have been out here, Ive done alright on my limited outings, however, there hasn't been amazing find. I think the best I've done classic wise is a Virtual Boy with 2 games for $10 and some import PSOne racing games for a buck. Recent Gen, I have found the PSP God of War, Crisis Core, and XBX Steel Battalion (w/o controller) for $10 apiece. Are there any flea markets besides the Sanford, The fairgrounds and Daytona (which is too far)?

I'm in town for some training until Thursday and staying off Orange Blossom Trail near the mall. Are there anything good deals nearby?

[quote name='flasht3']I'm in town for some training until Thursday and staying off Orange Blossom Trail near the mall. Are there anything good deals nearby?[/quote]

There is a Goodwill off OBT less than a mile north of the Florida Mall. Found Spore for $4.99 there a couple weeks back and some decent stuff every now and then. Besides that not really much in that area. If it's still there there is a pretty good Mongolian place in one of the shopping centers by the mall behind Smokey Bones.

[quote name='flasht3']Thanks for the tips. Are you talking about Hu Hot Mongolian Grill?[/QUOTE]

It matches the description, and I concur, good food.

[quote name='flasht3']I'll check it out. Any other recommended restaurants in the immediate area?[/QUOTE]

Buca de Beppo in the mall is a good Italian chain. If you're looking for a good burger and fries, head west on Sand Lake to John Young for Five Guys, in the Walmart shopping center.

Other than that, though, if there's a national chain you like, it's probably within a block or three.

[quote name='flasht3']Are you talking about Hu Hot Mongolian Grill?[/quote]

Yeah, that's it. Haven't been there in a while so I couldn't think of the name.

I second the trip to Five Guys. It's fantastic and pretty inexpensive.

Also, if you take Sand Lake west until Palm Parkway (it's after the I-4 overpass) make a left on the Parkway and immediately left in the plaza with Whole Foods is Pei Wei, another fantastic inexpensive restaurant.

And the weather has been great! A little cool in the evenings, which is great considering how hot the summer was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Five Guys on Tuesday. The fries are delicious! We've got one in Jacksonville also.

It looks like Orlando has the only Hu Hot in the state and we don't have a Pei Wei in Jax. Both menus looks good. I always enjoy checking out restaurants that aren't available in my area.

New poster here from East Orlando.

I'd been looking for Target Clearance 120GB HDDs for about the past week at Target and finally found one at the E. Colonial Store but they were marked at $179.99 and they wouldn't honor the $125 price that Waterford had even though it was marked as "discontinued" in their system. Fortunately I found one today used @ a Gamestop... just waiting on my friend's migration kit.

[quote name='flasht3']I went to Five Guys on Tuesday. The fries are delicious! We've got one in Jacksonville also.

It looks like Orlando has the only Hu Hot in the state and we don't have a Pei Wei in Jax. Both menus looks good. I always enjoy checking out restaurants that aren't available in my area.[/quote]

We just got a Five Guys in Waterford Lakes, is it just a renaming of Johnny Rockets, or is it truly different?

Hey guys I'm from the West Orlando/Ocoee area. I am literally 3 minutes away from the Circuit City that's closing down. Haven't really seen much on the way of competition at Blockbuster or Gamestop, however I can never find any good clearance items at the Target on West Colonial and I want to say Dorscher? Everytime I go its already been raided.

[quote name='VioletArrows']We just got a Five Guys in Waterford Lakes, is it just a renaming of Johnny Rockets, or is it truly different?[/QUOTE]

Completely different.

[quote name='capturedpenguin']Hey guys I'm from the West Orlando/Ocoee area. I am literally 3 minutes away from the Circuit City that's closing down. Haven't really seen much on the way of competition at Blockbuster or Gamestop, however I can never find any good clearance items at the Target on West Colonial and I want to say Dorscher? Everytime I go its already been raided.[/QUOTE]

Every so often I head up to the Winter Garden BlockBuster or the one in Metro West when I need to spread around a high-value trade, but very rarely the Gamestops.

That Target has always had high traffic (my kids used to go to the Kindercare on Dorscher) as far as I can tell. When I'm in the extended area, I usually have better luck with clearance items at the Claremont store (Winter Garden is hit or miss).

I figured as much. It's just the one I frequent the most because of location. I'm still not sure if I even know where the clearance items are at the WG store, and Clermont isn't worth the drive for YMMV unless I'm visiting friends that way.

Anybody happen to know any stores having the midnight opening for Wrath of the Lich King? Preferably in the south Winter Garden area, or on 192.

Did anyone in Orlando go for the CC/GOW2 deal? I'm curious how other stores in Orlando are handling the deal? I went to the store on E. Colonial (near the Fashion Square Mall) and was told I could come back with a receipt to claim the card when they get them, but didn't get any sort of rain check or indication on the receipt saying so. I went in Friday afternoon and the girl told me they would definitely have them by Friday night/Saturday morning and of course Saturday they still had no cards or any idea when they were coming (they said they can't track shipments).

The whole thing sounds fishy and would I have known CC was going to give this much trouble I would have bought it somewhere else.

[quote name='MtlTom']I went to the store on E. Colonial (near the Fashion Square Mall) and was told I could come back with a receipt to claim the card when they get them, but didn't get any sort of rain check or indication on the receipt saying so.[/quote]

My one buddy bought from the same store and had a similar predicament. From what he said they called over to the Altamonte store and they had the point cards there, so they proceeded to have them set aside one for him. We're supposed to go and pick it up later today.

watch out for that CC on Colonial by Fashion square, Its the only time I ever had to file a Chamber of Commerence complaint on a store (and I usually like CC), I've been screwed there several times with them not honoring their flyers and their price match policy. I actually had a "manager" belittle me and call me names in front of a line of people waiting for Wii's last year, he told me basically that customers can be replaced, insulted my intelligence (I hold 2 Bachelor's and one Master degree and in law school) and then he raised a fit and refused to give me corporate's number and threatened to call the police. Needless to say, I don't believe he works there anymore however; after it all happened that CC called me and said they'd give "take care of me" for my troubles and never did, this was about a year ago or so ago

[quote name='theCHONGO']anyone know of a store with hori sticks for 360...happened to see a few ps3 ones at virgin. so?[/quote]

Sorry, can't think of any of any.

Can anyone recommend a good CD/DVD resurfacing place? The local shop by me charges $5 + tax a pop and uses shoe buffer...so I'm looking for something a bit more effective.

[quote name='gr8asianman']Sorry, can't think of any of any.

Can anyone recommend a good CD/DVD resurfacing place? The local shop by me charges $5 + tax a pop and uses shoe buffer...so I'm looking for something a bit more effective.[/quote]
Where's your "local shop"?

There's a place on Kirkman next to the Walmart in that stripmall..cant remember name, but its "Play" something. Like $2.50 per disc or you can goto CD Warehouse on Colonial/Bumby and they do resurfacing around the same price range.

BTW..

The CC on Colonial/Bumby now carry the $99 120gb Xbox HD (F.Y.I.)

[quote name='theCHONGO']anyone know of a store with hori sticks for 360...happened to see a few ps3 ones at virgin. so?[/QUOTE]

I saw one at the Gamestop at Waterford Lakes just before Christmas. It was tucked up on the very top shelf in the back corner of the store. They don't list it on their website anymore so I can't check to see if they still have it. I was thinking about getting it for SSF2THD but I think I'm going to hold off for the SFIV stick or fight pad.

[quote name='dennisb407']Where's your "local shop"?[/quote]

It's a locally owned game store in the Lakeland Square Mall. They carry a really good selection of older titles (SNES, PS1, DC etc...) at reasonable prices. I commute to UCF I'll give your recommendations a try next time I head out that way. Thanks.

Otronicon V.4

January 16 - 20, 2009, Extended Hours

This annual convention brings together the entertaining world of consumer video games with a behind-the-scenes view of the art, technology and science that form the foundation and the future of both the videogame and simulation industries. Families and individuals of all ages will have a tremendous range of places and opportunities to explore.

• Gaming Competitions - Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Wii Fit, Super Smash Bros Festival, and more
  • Hands-on Simulators - Military, Medical, Aviation, Racing
  • Machinima Festival - showcase of filmmaking through video games
  • Artronica Art Gallery - witness the art behind videogame design
  • Classes & Workshops - learn how to make videogames with Full Sail University
  • Classic Gaming Movies - see classic videogame movies on the giant screen
Presented by Full Sail University. Visit www.otronicon.org for in-depth information and schedule of events.

Orlando has really been cleaned out since the holidays. I know competition is fierce here, but it seems ridiculously dry in my opinion. Anyone find anything decent recently?

[quote name='gr8asianman']Orlando has really been cleaned out since the holidays. I know competition is fierce here, but it seems ridiculously dry in my opinion. Anyone find anything decent recently?[/quote]
I know the Target clearance dried up quick.

The Millinenia store and the SODO store have absolutely nothing, not stuff I dont like, I mean NOTHING. lol

[quote name='dennisb407']I know the Target clearance dried up quick.l[/QUOTE]

CC & TRU aren't much better.

I was hoping to score a :ps3:GTA4 SE from the Target at Millinenia, but they didn't make it past the holidays.

[quote name='gr8asianman']CC & TRU aren't much better.

I was hoping to score a :ps3:GTA4 SE from the Target at Millinenia, but they didn't make it past the holidays.[/quote]

I agree even in altamonte, if there is a clearance at circuit city if you don't get there by sunday morning you won't see anything at all.

The lack of games is kinda nice on the wallet though. I'm on a quest to find one a SNES (mini redesign) so having some extra funds helps.

Found a PS2 Aerosmith Guitar Hero bundle at one of the local Targets at the $27.48 price point, but opted to not buy it due to broken seals (looked complete, but it would likely wait for one of the kid's birthdays in a few months, so any problems would be way past receipt time).

Other than that, not much outside the Blockbusters.

FYI, Maybe some of you might want to come down for this. Thanks.

2287956002_c32ce5f3de.jpg

Audio Download Link: Community Vibes 4 Audio promo
Video Download Link: Community Vibes 4 Video promo

Here's the new Community Vibes IV audio promo. Don't miss the gaming event of the year taking place in Miami, FL on Feb 21st, 2009. Celebrating Gamertag Radio's 4th year anniversary.

• Halo 3 & Gears Of War 2 Tournaments by SFX 360 & Game Wars
  • Classic Gaming with Destructoid & Smash Bros Wii Tournament
  • Win an Xbox 360 Elite, Zunes & Games every hour
  • Performing live Mayday! & many more
  • Music by DJ Sharpsound

WHAT: "Community Vibes IV"
WHEN: Saturday, February 21th, 2009
WHERE: Club Ecco: 168 SE 1st St. Unit 1A, Miami, FL 33131
WHO: GamertagRadio.com and You
COST TO ENTER: None

Many special guests & also a live Gamertag Radio show from the event. Stay tuned for more information all about Community Vibes IV.

------------------------

3173041130_3e9de45f3e.jpg

Just got the word that our friends at Destructoid are having the first Street Fighter IV Tournament at Community Vibes IV. In the next coming weeks the staff are planning to send more information about the tournament:

Destructoid will be there hosting a $200 Street Fighter IV tournament (assuming the game will not be delayed) and giving away all kinds of stuff.
Don't miss Community Vibes IV on Feb 21, 2009 in Miami, FL. For more information about the event head over to this thread.

---------------------

2875265109_6f6b0c4264.jpg

SFX360 & Game Wars just sent us all the details about their Gears Of War 2 & Halo 3 tournaments at Community Vibes IV on Feb 21, 2009.
SFX360 & GAMEWARS PRESENT A DOUBLE FEATURE TOURNAMENT

Both Tournaments = FREE ENTRY!!

3pm-5pm: Registration for Halo 3 & Gears Of War 2 Tournament

3pm-5pm: Halo 3 Workshop - "Learn to play like a Pro with the Florida Jackalopes"

5pm-10pm Halo 3 2V2 MLG Rules Tournament
1st place Prizes!
Random prizes for 2nd & 3rd place

Gears Of War 2 2V2 Tournament
Execution Mode MLG Rules
1st place - Prizes!
Random prizes for 2nd & 3rd place

any one want tickets for the 3 doors down concert at the hard rock live in orlando
for the end of this month? my boss wants me to sell em 4 him imma let em go for less than face value pm me

Megacon is too geared towards comic books and tabletop/card games. I went there year before last for the anime and was sorely disappointed by that too.

I'm surprised there's not more talk about this being JACON's last year.

I so miss Otakon and Katsucon...

[quote name=' Otherguy676']Anyone going to Megacon?[/QUOTE]
Definitely.

[quote name='VioletArrows']I'm surprised there's not more talk about this being JACON's last year.[/QUOTE]
Last year really? I went a couple years ago and wasn't too impressed. I'm more into the anime/manga myself so I just save my funds and go out to Metrocon in Tampa. Although after going to Comic Con back in 2007 everything just kinda pales in comparison.

This is my first year going to Megacon, have the full 3 day pass that my girlfriend got for me, looking forward to seeing Chris Claremont, I have almost a full run of all his UXM issues and a few have John Byrne already signed. I hope the convention is worth it, looking forward to some decent game tournaments (SFIV?).

Also, anyone else in town have Tatsunoko vs Capcom? Mine is coming next week and Im looking for some competition.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Also, anyone else in town have Tatsunoko vs Capcom? Mine is coming next week and Im looking for some competition.[/quote]
Not yet... :cry:

Does anyone know where the retro game store that was on Colonial drive (in the Wendy's plaza next to Firehouse Subs) relocated to? I remember they posted a new location on the door, but the plaza has been demolished. I knew I should have written it down...

I dont know the address, but I know Granny Gamer relocated to Winter Park. A few months back on Tampa Craig's list there was a post for $1 games, apparently she hit that and bought a bunch, I ended up buying 120 (mostly imports), however, I was told she grabbed all the real good stuff.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I dont know the address, but I know Granny Gamer relocated to Winter Park.[/quote]

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I just searched for 'retro game store in Winter Park, Florida' and got this address

325 S. Orlando Ave.
Winter Park, Florida 32789.
(407) 539-1044

I need a new SNES AC adapter, so if I can't find one at the PnT while I'm by UCF I'll probably swing by.

I passed by the Target near Fashion Square and the only decent thing I saw were a couple copies of :ps3:Mercenaries 2 @ $24.98 w/ the rest of the electronics clearance and :360:Mercenaries 2 @ $20.98 (behind the glass).

Anyone know someone in the area who could help me finish getting my Wii to play imports?. My internet went out when I had someone doing it and he didn't finish. Have the homebrew channel and can play Gamecube imports, just missing a file to play Wii imports.

Hey guys,

I am looking for an 80GB PS3 and I was wondering if anyone has had a PS3 sighting at any of the local Orlando Circuit City's. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. thanks.​

If any of you are really close to UCF, I just got an email now from Play It! Games. Basically they're a traveling video game store and they go from college to college with A LOT of vintage games, systems, and accessories. I guess business has been crappy this year so they're going out of business, and tomorrow's (2/11) their last day. They're going to be in front of the Student Union for Market Day (10a-4p) selling everything off starting at $5.00. I wish I could get over there since I've bought plenty of GameCube games from them before.

bread's done
Back