OT - Amazon closed my account for being a CAG

[quote name='DerClaw']I was worried about something like this with my amazon account, since I was having stuff delivered to my work and apparently the UPS guy that delivers to my work hates cardboard and is out to destroy it, because basically every package would arrive destroyed. I never got a ban, but figured that if I didn't start shipping to a different address, they'd eventually ban me, since banning me is easier than addressing their horrible shipping issues.[/QUOTE]
No offense but how is the fact that the UPS guy would deliver stuff destroyed Amazon's fault? If the guy was rough handling the packages, then he shoulda been reported.

As for this issue, I believe I've done a handful of complaints to Amazon, but definitely not 3-4 within a short time span. I could see how they would consider someone complaining so much might be a problem customer and one they would want to sever ties with.

Only times I really complained to them were 1)when NorScam rejected some games I sent in as 'damaged' when they were mint and 2) when they were taking forever shipping a shipment of games that were going to be gifts(during a free Prime trial).

Otherwise I definitely try to avoid bitching to Amazon since I saw that SD thread and I have a decent amount of credit on the site right now($184 or so). I may just order/pre-order a couple of upcoming games to kill off the bulk of it just so I don't have a ton of cred sitting there.

wow man. really sucks to hear that you were banned from amazon. I just find it weird within that month that almost all your orders were messed up. I've been a long time customer and order from there frequently and within the past 3 years or so, i've never had as many issues as you did in a one month span. I would file a complaint, unless there's something you haven't mentioned. I just find this really odd.

Yea I was a seller on Amazon since '02 or '03 and lately I'd been light on items so I haven't sold much...well what happened is that I got two A-Z claims from people that didn't know how to use the items they bought from me (Tivo and a Universal Remote).

So basically my negative rating skyrocketed due to the low sale volume and high claims and they closed my account without a second chance, even though I had a 99% approval rating and almost ten years selling.

I even took the time to come up with that business plan to better my sales/reduce my returns and they just said "we still don't feel confident in your ability to meet Amazon's standards" and said that my account was permanently suspended.

That was back in July and it sucks because I would sell all my video games and other random items when I was finished with them, but now I have to turn to eBay to make anything back.

Still Prime is the way to go to get anything electronic related without having to pay state taxes and have free shipping, but I don't know if I'd even go back to selling if they let me back on one day.

[quote name='retrad']There are good customers out there and then there are customers that annoy the shit out of you for 10 cents, make huge scenes and the worst part is they are unprofitable customers as in you lose money every time they come to your store.

Good for amazon for not putting up with it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. If you lose money from certain customers everytime they come in the store (unless it is due to theft) you need to change your policies. At least take measures to "reserve the right" to limit trade-ins, coupons, or whatever at your own discretion. It's silly for a store owner, or employee to whine about their own policies and not want to honor them. Especially employees, you likely aren't commissioned and it doesn't affect your pay in any way. Of course there are exceptions, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that some of your customers are shady and irritating. Otherwise, take measures to fix the issue.

Scary thing... hope that none of us here get banned before Black Friday and Christmas AND before using the last penny of credit :D (now I'm paranoid too... just put $25 GC on my account for BF (so then I can spend more on BF :D allowance sucks ) and I can't get banned before that, no way... but I'm a little paranoid because I've been enjoying lightning deals a lot D: I mean, bought Killzone 3 HE for $40, Mortal Kombat KE for $50... hope they don't get me just because I'm a CAG :(

[quote name='actripxl']Exactly, I've bought more and done more than what he's described and nothing has happened to me. Granted I've yet to return anything but I have similar things with the 4 he listed and then some, either this is a computer error or he's withholding info.[/QUOTE]
It's okay if you guys choose not to believe me. But that is my full story.

Googling other people's stories, Amazon has the right to close anyone's account for any reason.

I requested over $47 in credit within a month, and next thing I know, a few days later account closed.

I was really being true to my name, a Cheapassgamer that month, and maybe Amazon forsaw that I'm the type of customer who would always be fighting to make sure I do get the best deals. And to them, that was a pain they didn't want to deal with.

Oh well. It's still good to be a CAGger. I'll just be shopping elsewhere.

[quote name='mnuttster']Yea I was a seller on Amazon since '02 or '03 and lately I'd been light on items so I haven't sold much...well what happened is that I got two A-Z claims from people that didn't know how to use the items they bought from me (Tivo and a Universal Remote).

So basically my negative rating skyrocketed due to the low sale volume and high claims and they closed my account without a second chance, even though I had a 99% approval rating and almost ten years selling.

I even took the time to come up with that business plan to better my sales/reduce my returns and they just said "we still don't feel confident in your ability to meet Amazon's standards" and said that my account was permanently suspended.

That was back in July and it sucks because I would sell all my video games and other random items when I was finished with them, but now I have to turn to eBay to make anything back.

Still Prime is the way to go to get anything electronic related without having to pay state taxes and have free shipping, but I don't know if I'd even go back to selling if they let me back on one day.[/QUOTE]

So you could still shop at Amazon, but just can't sell no longer?

Weird.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No offense but how is the fact that the UPS guy would deliver stuff destroyed Amazon's fault? If the guy was rough handling the packages, then he shoulda been reported.[/QUOTE]
Because Amazon doesn't care. They see the customer as a problem, so they fix it. I've been shipped plenty of stuff from them that comes banged up or dented and I just accept it because I don't feel like messing with their claims process. I've only ever returned one item because if an item is in bad shape or shipped without something then I just. . .well, I won't get into that. ;)

[quote name='cancerman1120']No reason to write OT in a place where you are "on topic"...hence the OT meaning off topic on a message board...at least that is what I always thought.[/QUOTE]

Ok. The consensus seems to be "off topic" so I guess I've been using it wrong all this time. HAHA.

[quote name='illennium']You can't create a new account. Amazon will auto-close any account that has anything at all to do with the banned account. They will close your family's accounts, etc. They are ruthless when this happens. It is even possible that completely unrelated people get screwed too, like the guy who now lives in the apartment you used to live in.
[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's scary. So I guess lesson is, don't link Amazon accounts so you can still use another one if your main one gets banned.

[quote name='zennacko']...hope they don't get me just because I'm a CAG :([/QUOTE]

i wouldn't worry. the topic title is a bit sensationalized. if you're just ordering regularly and purchasing lightning deals, i'm sure that's perfectly fine. Your actions wouldn't warrant any sort of red flags.

I've seen a few of these stories and it gives off this weird feeling that you should watch your complaints even when they are legitimate. In the past few months I've had a few returns, and disputed a psp trade in. To think that these things could cause my account to be banned is disturbing. In the back of my mind I'm thinking 'is fixing this problem worth my account', which is a strange mindset for a customer who's just trying to get what they bought. (not talking about those who pester CS about credits constantly).

This makes me wonder, What happens to someone who has their account banned who has an Amazon Visa? What happens if you have a kindle? can you no longer buy books? What about purchased/rented movies/digital games/mp3's? I'm guessing you loose all that?

Even when these things are the exception to the rule, it still casts a shadow on digital commerce.

[quote name='Jodou']Because Amazon doesn't care. They see the customer as a problem, so they fix it. I've been shipped plenty of stuff from them that comes banged up or dented and I just accept it because I don't feel like messing with their claims process. I've only ever returned one item because if an item is in bad shape or shipped without something then I just. . .well, I won't get into that. ;)[/QUOTE]

Amazon's claims process is really easy to deal with for damaged items. They basically take your word for it.

damn so what happens if you have a crap load of GC amount on your account?

Kinda paranoid right now. I complained about No More heroes with the shrink wrap being weird and worried it being repackaged, so they issued me a $5 credit. Then just now I don't receive my Uncharted 2 for 5 days now (i have prime), apparently the tracking # they gave me is a USPS and it never moved from the generic "left facility". So they issued me a refund and tell me to return the item if it shows up. =/

I'd be pissed if I get banned and lose my GC amount.

Maybe Cheapy can help! Cheapy brings amazon so much business, I'm sure one word from him and the account can be restore.

okay maybe not..

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']It's okay if you guys choose not to believe me. But that is my full story.

Googling other people's stories, Amazon has the right to close anyone's account for any reason.

I requested over $47 in credit within a month, and next thing I know, a few days later account closed.

I was really being true to my name, a Cheapassgamer that month, and maybe Amazon forsaw that I'm the type of customer who would always be fighting to make sure I do get the best deals. And to them, that was a pain they didn't want to deal with.

Oh well. It's still good to be a CAGger. I'll just be shopping elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

It's still good to be a Cheap Ass Gamerger? ;)

[quote name='kouleefoh']damn so what happens if you have a crap load of GC amount on your account?[/QUOTE]

u lose it

https://www.google.com/search?q=amazon+ban&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kL2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=amazon+account+closed&pbx=1&oq=amazon+account+closed&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=15185l17698l0l17816l17l11l0l0l0l0l840l2114l1.3.6-2l6l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=cbbf099b7f1177aa&biw=1348&bih=346

Seems like Amazon can ban you for different situations.

It's not really defined.

It seems a lot of it are from people like the OP who asks for credits, or from customers who make returns.

People who likes to buy more than 1 of the same item too seems to get banned which I guess Amazon is guessing are people who are just flipping.

But they can also ban you if you don't meet a certain amount of purchase a year? WTF!

[quote name='Pittsie']On #1 and #4, you were being a total PITA. Not at all surprised Amazon bounced you.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this. Definitely for #1 and possibly for #4.

1. It's on you as the customer to make sure the item is the right one you want. If everything says just BD and yet the picture (which clearly on Amazon says it is uploaded by a user) is the only thing that says 3 way combo pack then that's your bad. If there is conflicting evidence on Amazon's page you should ask them before you buy it rather than just assume it's going to work out for you.

4. Similar to above but if everything on the pages states it comes with a bag then I'm on his side. If there is conflicting evidence then see above.

And my wife hasn't changed her last name on her Amazon seller account to mine in fear that they might close her's too (we just got married recently) for being associated with me.

It feels like getting kicked out/banned from a B&M store, but with someone from 1,000's of miles away making the decision based on words...

I'm sure there was a good reason why they did this.
Amazon is a business.
Unfortunately, some people out there go completely insane over every single nickel spent. It's not profitable or beneficial to Amazon to deal with these types of people.

[quote name='mnuttster']And my wife hasn't changed her last name on her Amazon seller account to mine in fear that they might close her's too (we just got married recently) for being associated with me.

It feels like getting kicked out/banned from a B&M store, but with someone from 1,000's of miles away making the decision based on words...[/QUOTE]

If you're banned I'm surprised they didn't ban her by virtue of the fact that you guys use the same address.

[quote name='DeadRabbit'] Eventually that business owner is going to get tired of dealing with you, and ban you from his store. In reality this really is no different.

[/QUOTE]
Bingo. I work at a small but popular online retailer and if we have too much trouble with a customer, even if they've bought a thousand dollars in merchandise, we'll ban them to avoid wasting our time. If we experience too much trouble from citizens of a certain country we'll ban the whole country from our store. (Sorry Italy/Brazil.)

[quote name='looploop']Bingo. I work at a small but popular online retailer and if we have too much trouble with a customer, even if they've bought a thousand dollars in merchandise, we'll ban them to avoid wasting our time. If we experience too much trouble from citizens of a certain country we'll ban the whole country from our store. (Sorry Italy/Brazil.)[/QUOTE]

I couldn't help but laugh at this. :applause:

[quote name='Jurassic425']I disagree with this. If you lose money from certain customers everytime they come in the store (unless it is due to theft) you need to change your policies. At least take measures to "reserve the right" to limit trade-ins, coupons, or whatever at your own discretion. It's silly for a store owner, or employee to whine about their own policies and not want to honor them. Especially employees, you likely aren't commissioned and it doesn't affect your pay in any way. Of course there are exceptions, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that some of your customers are shady and irritating. Otherwise, take measures to fix the issue.[/QUOTE]

good for you, you dont know what you are talking about though. I didn't complain about them following our policies did I? because I sure as hell didn't. Im talking about the annoying ass customers who want a pricematch and then to use a coupon which is certainly NOT in our policies.

Im talking about the customers who come in and cause a huge disturbance over a return when they pretty much broke every return rule there is such as after the return policy is over and maybe it was opened software or some other complete idiocy.

Most customers are fine, there are a few that are known dbags who are not worth the hassle and I wish greatly that I could ban them with the swiftness from my store.

I personally do not believe anything the op is saying right now sorry.

We also use her Amazon Visa card on my account to buy stuff for her since we share a prime spot from her brother...with her old name and the address that we both live at.

None of it makes much sense, but hey, I don't run a billion dollar company.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Maybe Cheapy can help! Cheapy brings amazon so much business, I'm sure one word from him and the account can be restore.

okay maybe not..[/QUOTE]
I could just imagine him championing his cause and Amazon going, "Who's this bald-headed prick?"

[quote name='Jodou']I could just imagine him championing his cause and Amazon going, "Who's this bald-headed prick?"[/QUOTE]

I dunnooo he has an uncanny resemblance to a certain someone at Amazon

032508cheapyd.jpg

jeff-bezos.jpg

Please don't ban me Cheapy

I have never heard of amazon "banning" someone before, seems like an odd and very arbitrary policy to ban people for an unknown amount of "incidents". Quick google search enlightened me that its been going on for years. A lot of them were sellers with bad feedback. Huh. My sympathies to the OP.
Raises a lot of questions. How many of us have returned or complained about an amazon order with no hesitation...should we worry about being banned for being picky customers? Why weren't more people getting banned back when that whole ECA coupon fiasco happened...(maybe they just monitor customer service for bans)?
Mental image of amazon has gone from huge (but slightly benevolent) faceless corporation to Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons...

This story should be made more public, spread the word and let everyone know that this can happen.

With Amazon now going digital this is a swift kick in the gut that can make all your purchases moot and unattainable. The loss of accessing your kindle books is what scares me.

"Prime members under a free trial or paid subscription can share their benefits with up to 4 additional family members living in the same household, or up to 4 coworkers to shop for the related account."

[quote name='Waterhouse']I have never heard of amazon "banning" someone before, seems like an odd and very arbitrary policy to ban people for an unknown amount of "incidents". Quick google search enlightened me that its been going on for years. A lot of them were sellers with bad feedback. Huh. My sympathies to the OP.
Raises a lot of questions. How many of us have returned or complained about an amazon order with no hesitation...should we worry about being banned for being picky customers? Why weren't more people getting banned back when that whole ECA coupon fiasco happened...(maybe they just monitor customer service for bans)?
Mental image of amazon has gone from huge (but slightly benevolent) faceless corporation to Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons...[/QUOTE]
Maybe this has something to do with the fact that (see Battlefield $20 Credit Thread), Amazon is now switching to more of a preferred customer's type business deal?

Only certain customers are now given the deal (via email) rather than the whole.

Also, I noticed that my $10 pre-order credit for Forza 4 is now just a code and no longer just showing in my account.

It could be unrelated, but reading some of these in Google is making me think otherwise.

Awesome deal! In for one! Oh...no wait, nevermind.

Maybe I missed it, but have you tried calling?

I guess I'm more passive then others, but I almost never call Amazon. I traded in about 100 DVDs and they dropped them all from "Like New" to "Good" with the reasoning on each one being "slight scratches" or something to that effect. I was going to call and complain because I know most if not all my DVDs are in "Like New" condition. I didn't bother though. I figured the amount of time it would take to get an extra $10 - $20 in credit they owed me wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's funny though cause a few weeks before I traded in all 3 seasons of Deadwood on DVD and they upgraded them from "Good" to "Like New" even though one of the outer cases was torn and because of the fold out packaging each case show some form of wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome deal! In for one! Oh...no wait, nevermind.

I guess I'm more passive then others, but I almost never call Amazon. I traded in about 100 DVDs and they dropped them all from "Like New" to "Good" with the reasoning on each one being "slight scratches" or something to that effect. I was going to call and complain because I know most if not all my DVDs are in "Like New" condition. I didn't bother though. I figured the amount of time it would take to get an extra $10 - $20 in credit they owed me wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's funny though cause a few weeks before I traded in all 3 seasons of Deadwood on DVD and they upgraded them from "Good" to "Like New" even though one of the outer cases was torn and because of the fold out packaging each case show some form of wear.

[quote name='rbanke']I've seen a few of these stories and it gives off this weird feeling that you should watch your complaints even when they are legitimate. In the past few months I've had a few returns, and disputed a psp trade in. To think that these things could cause my account to be banned is disturbing. In the back of my mind I'm thinking 'is fixing this problem worth my account', which is a strange mindset for a customer who's just trying to get what they bought. (not talking about those who pester CS about credits constantly).

This makes me wonder, What happens to someone who has their account banned who has an Amazon Visa? What happens if you have a kindle? can you no longer buy books? What about purchased/rented movies/digital games/mp3's? I'm guessing you loose all that?

Even when these things are the exception to the rule, it still casts a shadow on digital commerce.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I had a rash of about 3 or 4 returns in a short period and I was worried for awhile because I read a similar story on another board. I guess I'm still worried, but once I make it through the holiday's I'll feel better. I really SHOULDN"T be worried because none of it's been my fault, yet still it seems like Amazon is being more and more aggressive lately, but it's stuff that just comes with the territory of being on online seller, as the customer am I suppose to just "eat it" when things go wrong??? Is that their new unspoken policy?

My cases have basically been:
-Ordered a 20" Cyclone fan, fan arrived with handle smashed to pieces (wasn't even protected, was just loose in it's retail box with nothing else protecting it), this inadequate packaging was COMPLETELY on Amazon and not the shipping company. I obviously had no choice but to return it, I just decided to get the same product locally. I'm sure because I did a straight return that's a "strike" against me in their database...
-Ordered Microsoft Nano/wireless laser computer mouse - arrived DOA, exchanged and the new one works fine. I'm sure this is "strike two" against me.
-I also had a pair of trade-ins" go bad literally the same time as the above two issues. 1st trade in, I sent them a mint game that I had just bought 2 weeks prior and beaten, it was a $25 TIV, they returned me an empty case with no disc in it (really?). I obviously requested they credit my TIV and they obliged. In that same trade-in order they returned a DVD for no apparent reason, but when they returned it they applied stickers all over the slip cover and basically ruined it (it was a Criterion DVD with a slip-box). I chatted and basically demanded they at least partially reimburse for damaging the slip-cover, so they gave me $2.50 out of the $8 trade-in which I accepted - item only fetched $4 on ebay so I still lost out compared to the original trade value.

I also have a habit of cancelling items and cancelling trade-ins when I can't finish a game in time (i.e. I try to "lock in" the trade value, something I'm almost affraid to do now). That doesn't really cost them anything, but I'm sure these are all "negative marks" against me. I'd be pretty pissed if Amazon abrubtly cancelled my account, because like the OP i've given them literally $10,000's of thousands in business, and I usually don't complain at all. But I *AM* a deal hunter, I almost don't buy anything unless it's on sale or has a promotion, and I especially go to town during Black Friday week. The sad reality is that bargain hunting is probably a mark against me as well in their systems (the fact I always buy things on promotions). This isn't the first time I've heard of this story, I just hope this isn't the beginning of a downhill trend for Amazon. Certainly their gaming deals have not been as good this year as they were last...

[quote name='ssjmichael']At least you have the crickets on your side![/QUOTE]

What he's not telling you is that he bought those crickets on Amazon.;)

[quote name='looploop']What he's not telling you is that he bought those crickets on Amazon.;)[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they came in frustration free packaging, or PETA will be on Amazon so fast.

It does sound like for a couple of those the OP was just trying to get something for free. It may have been a little too much in the OP's case, but I'm honestly glad Amazon is doing this now. People complain just for the sake of hoping to get something free. I hope Amazon starts banning more of those people who continuously try to take advantage of Amazons great CS.

bread's done
Back