OT: Car Alarm?

dude2003

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
for those who don't know, i live in the bay area. i have just bought a new 2006 honda accord ex and was wondering if it is a good idea to get an alarm? if i should get an alarm, should i go any where or are there recommendations of where to go around here? i guess if i were to get an alarm i should research on which one to get at what price range. your suggestions are most appreciated. thanks in advance

Nah, dealerships overcharge you for car alarms. Actually, dealerships overcharge for everything in general. For car alarms, I'd recommend the Viper or the Compustar. I have the Compustar 2WSS-AS which also has remote start (doubt you need that); I spent around $250 on it. Great thing about it is that it alerts you to when your car alarm's going off (think mine's up to like 6000 feet or something like that.)

I got a Viper on my car, The only thing is it's a shame to have some monkey install something on a brand new car. When I got my alarm installed they broke a clip off on one of the plastic pillars on the driver side top. I had to bitch and bitch to get them to pay for it because they said when I paid for it I signed a waiver of responsibility.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Should have gotten it for free when you bought the car, and don't tell us you leased it.[/quote]

no it is not free from the dealership. they even overcharge me on interest as they would not go down from 8% and i have a fico score of over 800!! as for leasing? nah i don't like to lease cars unless they are european. the reason to lease european is because you would want to sell it after 3 years because maintenance will kill your wallet.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I got a Viper on my car, The only thing is it's a shame to have some monkey install something on a brand new car. When I got my alarm installed they broke a clip off on one of the plastic pillars on the driver side top. I had to bitch and bitch to get them to pay for it because they said when I paid for it I signed a waiver of responsibility.[/QUOTE]

That's why you install it yourself.

Nah, lemme ask the people in my car club and some of my friends to see if they know of a reputable place to get a car alarm installed around here. I know a place in San Jose but that's probably too far for you to drive. Make sure you check out the place if you've got someplace in mind; a lot of people just don't know what they're doing.

The problem is that people tend to ignore car alarms now; I mean, I hear them all the time and I don't even bother to look to see where it's coming from. What you have to do is get Hella Supertones (horns that are as loud as a semis)...the would-be thief would shit his pants when your alarm goes off, haha.

[quote name='vietgurl']That's why you install it yourself.

Nah, lemme ask the people in my car club and some of my friends to see if they know of a reputable place to get a car alarm installed around here. I know a place in San Jose but that's probably too far for you to drive. Make sure you check out the place if you've got someplace in mind; a lot of people just don't know what they're doing.

The problem is that people tend to ignore car alarms now; I mean, I hear them all the time and I don't even bother to look to see where it's coming from. What you have to do is get Hella Supertones (horns that are as loud as a semis)...the would-be thief would shit his pants when your alarm goes off, haha.[/quote]

well that's why i ask if any one knows of a place that trustable and whether i should get an alarm for driving in the bay area. i am already being careful with my car as i took bart on saturday and didn't park my car at the bart station. i took my dad's 98 cavalier and parked that car at the bart station instead. as for installing myself, i know very little in terms of working on a car. i only read the basic stuff. i don't even do my own oil change.

I've heard good things about Auto Sound and Security in San Jose. I'm not sure about the prices they charge though. Also if you want to get a basic Clifford alarm or whatever, try Trust Auto in San Bruno. They're very popular among car clubs (cheap lifetime warranty tints and usually when it comes to installing parts, they're cheaper and know what they're doing). I'm not sure how cheap it's going to be there (I've never dealt with the audio/security department) but they have a good reputation for everything else. Also, try Autosound in Sunnyvale. Ask to talk to Victor and say that Trung's friend sent you. It's my friend's brother so hopefully he'll hook you up with a good price.

I also might have a very very good hookup but it's actually one of my close friends' hookup so I don't have any information yet. He can get you a good quality alarm with full warranty (it's not stolen or anything) for really cheap. He also installs audio and security equipment for a living and does some work on the side for friends for really cheap. I'll let you know once I find out more.

There is an Auto Sound here in Jersey. Great store and great people to deal with. they just did a custom metal interior for a budy of mine for a G. not bad. Agreed with Vietgurl...Get a Viper or the compustar. those are the only two alarms that are reputable and that actually work unlike some shitty ones like audiovox or even the OEM alarms.

Here's another hookup from my car club:

Junior's Car Stereo

510-790-0923 ask to speak to Junior.

Tell him the recomendation is from one of Johns friends who has gotten alarms installed in the past. Corolla and MR2. He should make a reasonable offer...

[quote name='vietgurl']Here's another hookup from my car club:

Junior's Car Stereo

510-790-0923 ask to speak to Junior.

Tell him the recomendation is from one of Johns friends who has gotten alarms installed in the past. Corolla and MR2. He should make a reasonable offer...[/quote]

thanks vietgurl! i'll call once i find time this weekend

bread's done
Back