Other alternatives than buying the Wireless Adapter?

ph33r m3

CAGiversary!
The HDTV in my house is out of the reach of my computer, so I use the regular TV in another room. I'd like to use the HD so i've been looking at wireless adapters.

I see that the Xbox 360 one is 100$ which seems ridiculous, are their cheaper options?

Buy one for the old Xbox for way cheaper. Still works the same. I got mine from the Trading Forums here for $30 shipped.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Pretend you're playing online. That's an alternative, and you're using your imagination... Everyone wins![/quote]

My fuck you are hilarious, do you have any stand-up shows?

If you're looking for a cheaper price than $100, check ebay.

Recently got the 360 adapter for $50, works fine for me.

The problem with this is, I had a D-Link router. SO, unless SOMEHOW this Linksys wireless works through D-Link too.. i'm screwed.

One idea is set the wireless router up by the tv. Let the console run wired, let your computers be wireless.

I just bought a netgear wge111 off of ebay for about $25. It is a 54mbps wireless adapter that works for anything with an ethernet adapter. It works for the original xbox, the 360, playstation, other pc's. I have had no problems with it at all. The only thing is, when you first get it, you have to hook it up to a pc to set it up, but after that, it is plug and play with anything. Also, it will work with any wireless network. Hope that helps. Good luck.

[quote name='Randy Orton']The problem with this is, I had a D-Link router. SO, unless SOMEHOW this Linksys wireless works through D-Link too.. i'm screwed.[/QUOTE]

802.11x is 802.11x...

This ZyXel router is onsale at CompUSA again for $9.99 after rebate, it can be setup as a wireless bridge and can bridge to most wireless routers. It's a bit complicated to setup, but you only have to that once and after that anything you plug into it will think its connected to a wired network. It has 4 ports so I have it connected to a PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360 and a replay TV all at once.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...8&Pn=P_330WC_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router

Wireless performance can be very unreliable. Cumulative dropped packaets can put you at a severe disadvantage within games.

I greatly recommend the Airlink101 powerline adapters that let you have an ethernet port anywhere in your home where an electrical outlet appears. I've had great success with these in my home and those of clients.

http://airlink101.com/products/powerline.html

Fry's is the primary retailer for this brand. THey frequently advertise the modules for $25 each, of which you'd need at least two. One by your router and one for each room that needs a port. Because it's a bridge there is virtually no setup. You plug them in and see if the lights all go green. It looks like a direct cable connection from the router to the computer, so there is no configuration at all. (Most brands do include optional software to encrypt your network traffic incase you share a power meter with somebody you want to have access to your network.)

The powerline standard was recently upgraded to 200Mbps but the fist products out are fairly pricey and targeted at people moving really fat HD video streams around their homes. But considering how recently the 14Mbps version cost about $100 a node, those 200Mb versions will probably drop to around $50 per node by late next year.

[quote name='ofacto']This ZyXel router is onsale at CompUSA again for $9.99 after rebate, it can be setup as a wireless bridge and can bridge to most wireless routers. It's a bit complicated to setup, but you only have to that once and after that anything you plug into it will think its connected to a wired network. It has 4 ports so I have it connected to a PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360 and a replay TV all at once.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...8&Pn=P_330WC_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router[/QUOTE]

The Zyxel does a prety good job, conditions permitting. Even if it doesn't work out in your environment, it makes a great spare for the price.

bread's done
Back