Out of stock everywhere suddenly?

YodaEXE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, I finally decided to give in and pick up a Wii today. Went to Walmart, out of stock. Odd, but it happens. Checked Amazon, also OOS. Same with Sears, Target, ShopKo, Walmart.com, and a local store. Anyone know what's going on? Why is the Wii OOS both in stores and online all of a sudden?

This is annoying, as last week I distinctly remember my Walmart having a good 10 or so Wiis. This is just sort of ridiculous.

Had one before all it did was collect dust. Since I never had a GameCube or N64 it was a chance to try those games. The good thing is that it has a high resale value

I'd try Craigslist, enough people have lost interest in them that they aren't selling them for absurd prices. I got a Wii a year ago with 2 sets of controls, everything it should come with retail (Sports, etc) SSBB, and maybe 1 other game for $200 total. If you look around you could probably find even better deals now.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Why is the Wii OOS both in stores and online all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

Surge of post-Christmas popularity + scaled back production due to recession in the states.

That second part is my own speculation but I'm guessing it plays a part.

My biggest issue with getting one is my location. I go to school in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, several hours from the nearest real city. So, I'm pretty limited to either purchasing things online, getting from Walmart, or buying from fellow college students. No Craigslist here unfortunately. I suppose I'll start asking around and see if any of my friends know someone who wants to get rid of a Wii.

Yea, Rock Band 2 for the Wii is also out of stock everywhere, and selling for $250ish on Ebay, used. It's also tax season, so maybe people are buying it with their tax returns because they couldn't afford it during Christmas.

That's nuts. I was at my local Target just a few hours ago and the case was so full of them they actually had an endcap of them with those security monitors wrapped around them.

its not a valentines day thing. The nintendo rep said that NoA sold out completely and they are having to import them from Japan. Supply is unnaturally tight and has been since Thanksgiving.

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15697

[quote name='""']
History is repeating itself as demand begins to slowly outpace the supply of Nintendo's Wii console, demand likely driven by a combination of factors, such as a lower price and the release of the smash-hit New Super Mario Bros. Wii. "We're still getting [Wii] in, but it's just slow. We've tried getting more from other stores in our district, but we're just selling out too fast," a Best Buy employee told Joystiq earlier in the week, with other retailers echoing the sentiment.

Since then, Nintendo has responded to the occurrence, with Senior Director of Corporate Communications Charlie Scibetta stating that "In the short term, replenishing Wii inventories will be a challenge. But we are doing everything we can to satisfy consumers looking to purchase a Wii system." [/quote]

Nintendo lowered production in november/december and said to expect shortage for the next month or two. I assume they wanted to clear out their excess inventory and they didn't expect to have such a killer christmas season considering the recession...it's kind of stupid to stop production on such a hot selling item...then again this is nintendo and they somehow love to shoot themselves in the foot every now and then. I'm betting in a month or so inventory channels should be flooding with Wiis again.

They could also be holding them back, due to something being released during the Nintendo meeting happening soon.

I dunno, but it's the same thing with the 120gb PS3..but I could understand that seeing as how theres a 250gb version to which they usually all have.

[quote name='Strell']Surge of post-Christmas popularity + scaled back production due to recession in the states.

That second part is my own speculation but I'm guessing it plays a part.[/QUOTE]

No, you're right. Nintendo again missed demand for the holidays and is still playing catch-up. If u think finding a Wii is hard, try a Wii Fit +. Walmart had an advertised special last weekend in which they guaranteed only 4 per store.

With the volume of units they did sell for Xmas, I firmly believe they could have easily sold another million if they kept their stock up.

Stores don't want to carry inventory at this time of the year because they have to pay tax on all of the merchandise in stock at the time they do inventory.

Well, I got lucky earlier today. I got a text from my mom, letting me know that Wiis were in stock on Walmart.com. I managed to get in order in for one. Bit more than I wanted to pay, but I preferred to get a new Wii, rather than a used one, so I bit the bullet and ordered one. I don't think they were available for more than an hour or two, so I got lucky. Should be here by next weekend with any luck.

Congrats to the OP for finding one. Hope you enjoy it!

On a different note...

[quote name='ohboy10451']Had one before all it did was collect dust. Since I never had a GameCube or N64 it was a chance to try those games. The good thing is that it has a high resale value[/QUOTE]

Why are there always tools like this trolling Wii forums? If you didn't like the system and no longer own one, why would you waste time on message boards dedicated to the system?
:roll:

[quote name='ejamer']Congrats to the OP for finding one. Hope you enjoy it![/QUOTE]
I'm sure I will. My parents have a Wii and I've had fun when I go home over the holidays. The big thing is the Mario games. I love Mario games, so I can't wait to play through NSMBW. It'll be here Thursday, so I'm looking forward to it.

Targets have the Wii Fit bundle, they're just not selling them. They're holding them for the new ad, that starts Sunday, February 28th.

[quote name='myl0r']OP, you won't be let down by NSMBW, so fun(and frustrating)[/QUOTE]
Oh, I can believe it. I've played through NSMB on the DS a number of times, and while it was incredibly frustrating at times, it was also a huge blast.

[quote name='Snake2715']dont forget to bubble in a multiplayer game... that changes it completely. Use that bubble to your advantage.[/QUOTE]

I :lol:'d because my little brother comes by every now and again with his girlfriend and we'll play games quite a bit. She has literally gone through entire levels bubbled while he (and sometimes me as well) finish it. I actually find it to be a brilliant feature. It makes the game a lot more strategic as well as user friendly.

bread's done
Back