Out of the new RPGs: Rogue Galaxy, FFXII, and Ar Telinco--which is best?

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Rogue Galaxy is a bit cheaper, but it doesn't come with anything special. FFXII and Ar Telinco are both $50 but AT comes with an artbook and FFXII comes with a bonus DVD.

But besides the money factor, which is the best? Rogue Galaxy looks fricken epic. FFXII looks good, but I'm not a big grinding fan. AT looks awesome graphically, but people say its really easy.

Any opinions?

Honestly, I'd go with Ar Tonelico. I got it and Rogue Galaxy around the same time, and since I started playing AT I haven't been playing anything else.

The battle system is fun, the characters are great, the soundtrack is excellent, and there's a lot of customization to it. Also it has a few parts that split depending on choices you make even giving it replayability. It has 7 endings.

So I say Ar Tonelico.

I haven't played Rogue Galaxy or Ar Tenolico

of what I've played of FFXII, they have a lot to live up to if they're any better. out of 30 hours, I think I've only "ground" about 3 times for loot. there is so much to do in the game and the dungeons and quests are so huge that you rarely need to deliberately grind.

but don't count out Valkyrie profile 2 if you haven't played that yet...it's a great game :)

If price is really a concern, I'm sure there are plenty of older RPGs that are analogous to these, at a budget price. I dont think you've played ALL of them.

Instead of Rogue Galaxy, play Star Ocean Till the end of Time or Radiata Stories
Instead of FFXII, play DQ8.
Instead of Ar Tonelico, play the Atelier Iris games.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']If price is really a concern, I'm sure there are plenty of older RPGs that are analogous to these, at a budget price. I dont think you've played ALL of them.

Instead of Rogue Galaxy, play Star Ocean Till the end of Time or Radiata Stories
Instead of FFXII, play DQ8.
Instead of Ar Tonelico, play the Atelier Iris games.[/quote]Rogue Galaxy whipes the floor with any other PS2 Action/RPG. Radiata Stories is a complete joke in comparison.

Rogue Galaxy by far, and Im a HUGE FFXII fan. It is one of the best RPGs ive ever played, and it really is going to be overlooked by many people.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Rogue Galaxy whipes the floor with any other PS2 Action/RPG. Radiata Stories is a complete joke in comparison.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. Comparing Rogue Galaxy to SO3 and Radiata is insulting. Especially Radiata. That game was horrific.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Well, how about the Shadow Hearts series as a general recommendation. I think thats something you can agree with.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just talk about the games he asked about. :D

I've only logged 5 or 6 hours into FFXII, and I loved what I played - I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time (I had just finished Valkyrie Profile 2, which as someone else mentioned shouldn't be overlooked either). I have passed on Ar Tonelico until a drastic price drop - it's getting low to average reviews, but more than that it just doesn't look that great from what I've seen on it.

I'm currently playing Rogue Galaxy, and it's in-freakin'-credible. Level-5 doesn't miss imo, so I'll admit to being a touch bias, but I'm bias towards them because they crank out games like this. ;) There's a ton to do in the game, the combat is extremely well done & fun, very high production values (excellent voice acting) - it's the total package. While I can't say that it's better or worse than FFXII, since I haven't played enough of XII to judge, they really are very different games anyway.

I'll say this - if you're a fan of Dark Cloud 2, don't hesitate to grab Rogue Galaxy.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have to agree. Comparing Rogue Galaxy to SO3 and Radiata is insulting. Especially Radiata. That game was horrific.[/QUOTE]
Was not...Radiata Stories is my favorite RPG this gen :hot:

And OP: I've only played FFXII out of the 3 you listed, but I've loved every minute I've played of it so far. Haven't had to level grind yet.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']my vote would go to ffxii followed closely by rogue galaxy

:)[/QUOTE]
Same here. I dropped 90h+ into FFXII. Great game.

[quote name='BREVITY']Same here. I dropped 90h+ into FFXII. Great game.[/QUOTE]

I've put in about 80 hours so far and have about 1/4 or 1/3 of the story left:hot: :hot: :hot: . So....many.....side quests....must do......one more hunt..... I never played the other two but I can't imagine them being as freakin fantabulous as FFXII.

Does R.G. have a lot of side quest things that take up hours and hours, or is it pretty straight forward? This is the next RPG I want to get but after playing FF12 I am sick of sidequests, lol.

My brother who now lives with me just picked up Rouge Galaxy.

I don't know how much I will play it but it does look good.

[quote name='62t']FFXII comes with a bonus DVD?[/QUOTE]

The abundant "Collector's Edition" does.

I've only played FFXII, but I put 80 hours into it, and thought it was an outstanding game. Make no mistake, it's not very much like any FF game you've ever played. The gambit system eliminates a lot of the redundancy of turn-based RPGs, and is a nice addition; I disagree that it "plays the game for you" as some might say.

Its biggest downfall is that it lacks the epic story of the previous FF games. Many of the main characters are expendable and have little to no backstory that makes you care about them or identify with them by the end of the game. They also make too many allusions about the main villain's evil side, leaving you really unconvinced that this guy really is the root of all evil (or the kind of quality character that deserves to be at the crux of a FF game's conflict). Worse yet (in a sense), the lure of the side quests and hunts are very unrelated to the game, and you'll spend hours on side quests. By the time you're ready to reengage the main quest, you'll have forgotten what your reason for existence is, and it's hard to stay motivated to finish the game. The ending is satisfying and shows some semblance of good storytelling; it's just a shame that the rest of the game really lacks that.

Short version: unlike a lot of people, I'm backwards in my thoughts on FFXII. I think the battle system and fights are a great deal of fun, and the side quests awesome. It's the story that was a major let down.

I dunno much about Ar Tornelico, but I'd recommend you chew on another NIS SRPG that you can get for $20 (La Pucelle, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave) and wait for AT to drop in price. It's inevitable, and since NIS stopped using Atlus as a publisher, they've encountered little to no problems with games going out of print and becoming very rare and expensive on eBay.

[quote name='mykevermin']The abundant "Collector's Edition" does.

I've only played FFXII, but I put 80 hours into it, and thought it was an outstanding game. Make no mistake, it's not very much like any FF game you've ever played. The gambit system eliminates a lot of the redundancy of turn-based RPGs, and is a nice addition; I disagree that it "plays the game for you" as some might say.

Its biggest downfall is that it lacks the epic story of the previous FF games. Many of the main characters are expendable and have little to no backstory that makes you care about them or identify with them by the end of the game. They also make too many allusions about the main villain's evil side, leaving you really unconvinced that this guy really is the root of all evil (or the kind of quality character that deserves to be at the crux of a FF game's conflict). Worse yet (in a sense), the lure of the side quests and hunts are very unrelated to the game, and you'll spend hours on side quests. By the time you're ready to reengage the main quest, you'll have forgotten what your reason for existence is, and it's hard to stay motivated to finish the game. The ending is satisfying and shows some semblance of good storytelling; it's just a shame that the rest of the game really lacks that.

Short version: unlike a lot of people, I'm backwards in my thoughts on FFXII. I think the battle system and fights are a great deal of fun, and the side quests awesome. It's the story that was a major let down.

I dunno much about Ar Tornelico, but I'd recommend you chew on another NIS SRPG that you can get for $20 (La Pucelle, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave) and wait for AT to drop in price. It's inevitable, and since NIS stopped using Atlus as a publisher, they've encountered little to no problems with games going out of print and becoming very rare and expensive on eBay.[/quote]

Hm...thanks for the thoughts on FFXII. I'm one of those people that put a higher priority on an epic story and fleshed out characters than gameplay. Gameplay is obviously important to me--I refused to finish Xenosaga because I absolutely hated the battle system--but I just really need a great story with my RPGs.

Yeah, I guess people will say, "If you want an epic story with characters that aren't so wooden, go read a book". Well, I don't expect the writing in video games to be amazing or the characters to be perfectly to my liking. RPGs just offer something different than a good fantasy book can give you--you feel involved.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Hm...thanks for the thoughts on FFXII. I'm one of those people that put a higher priority on an epic story and fleshed out characters than gameplay. Gameplay is obviously important to me--I refused to finish Xenosaga because I absolutely hated the battle system--but I just really need a great story with my RPGs.

Yeah, I guess people will say, "If you want an epic story with characters that aren't so wooden, go read a book". Well, I don't expect the writing in video games to be amazing or the characters to be perfectly to my liking. RPGs just offer something different than a good fantasy book can give you--you feel involved.[/QUOTE]
Ar Tonelico has by far the best story out of the three. Even fans of the other two games (like myself actually. I think I'm one of the only people to post so far who has put a significant amount of time into all three games) will agree their stories aren't the focus. But with Ar Tonelico it is!

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Hm...thanks for the thoughts on FFXII. I'm one of those people that put a higher priority on an epic story and fleshed out characters than gameplay. Gameplay is obviously important to me--I refused to finish Xenosaga because I absolutely hated the battle system--but I just really need a great story with my RPGs.

Yeah, I guess people will say, "If you want an epic story with characters that aren't so wooden, go read a book". Well, I don't expect the writing in video games to be amazing or the characters to be perfectly to my liking. RPGs just offer something different than a good fantasy book can give you--you feel involved.[/quote]Nothing wrong with expecting a great story in an RPG. It's hard to play a role without a story. Otherwise it's just an action game.

bread's done
Back