Outside of skillet, oven, and outdoor grill; how do you cook?

powercreep

CAGiversary!
Just curious about how the chefs on here cook. I know frying stuff in a skillet is horrible for you, but I live in the south and it's just a way of life. That being said, I'd kinda like to start preserving the ol' ticker just a bit. I love to grill outdoors, but obviously that's not necessarily possible year round. Oven is fine, but it either heats up the house too much or takes too long. We used to have a Foreman grill, but it was too small.
So, what do you guys use to cook your grub? What do you recommend?

Um, I should add that my grub is nothing fancy - just talking about regular food. Ground beef, chicken, pork, veggies, etc. I don't need no stinkin' wok.

Edit: Looking at something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Indoor-Grill-with-Removable-Grids/14320873
Also interested in Mr. T's Flavor Wave!! Does it really work?

They make pretty large Foreman grills now....

Otherwise the only other real options are boiling food and steaming foods.

You don't have to literally fry everything you put in a skillet. Like if you want to cook a chicken breast in a skillet, just brush it and the bottom of the pan with some extra virgin olive oil, season it, and cook it. Its still extremely healthy for you.

Outside of oven (baking or broiling), grill (outdoor or a Foreman grill), or skillet (stovetop) - I'm not sure what you're looking for. Those are essentially the most common and easiest ways to cook and you can do all three in healthy ways. I guess you could steam vegetables in the microwave if you want?

i put pieces of chicken on the vegetable steam tray in my rice cooker -- works fine.

i'm usually too lazy to cook meat though -- i go to eggs and peanut butter for protein most of the time.

Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. Seriously. I've made some delicious chicken in that thing. It makes a damn good roast too. Best garage sale pickup ever.

I cook on a weber performer charcoal outside, but also use a grill pan indoors when I still want good food. There is nothing wrong with using a skillet. It's about what and how you are cooking it.

I make like the Greeks in the Iliad and turn a speared goat on a spit over a fire. Or skillet, you only live once.

bread's done
Back