Own the Fifth Element on Bluray? Sony will send you a remastered copy FREE

TimPV3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (98%)
Via ps3.qj.net / http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=252

When Blu-ray first launched, there were great expectations for the titles released. That was especially true for 'The Fifth Element', which had been a home theater enthusiast favorite on DVD. Unfortunately, the results were less than stellar, but Sony is here to atone! Those who purchased 'The Fifth Element' in its current form can exchange the disc for the new, cleaned up version of the film, due out July 17th.

The disc will come as a BD-50, encoded with AVC, and have two lossless/uncompressed audio tracks: the same PCM track from the original release (which was quite excellent) and a 20-bit Dolby TrueHD track. The extras remain the same, but the film has been remastered for a cleaner/crisper video experience.

Right now, Sony is taking down your name, mailing address, and phone number and will contact you closer to the release of the remastered version on how to exchange your disc. When you call, have that information ready, or if you are emailing, make sure to place it in your message. Here is the contact information:

Phone: 800-860-2878
Email: [email protected]

Nice to see Sony taking responsibility for shitty first gen titles, I hope other studios do the same for their first lackluster releases.

Pretty cool of them. I stayed away from this movie because of all the bad things I heard about it. May pick up this next one though.

[quote name='dpatel']Pretty cool of them. I stayed away from this movie because of all the bad things I heard about it. May pick up this next one though.[/QUOTE]I'm wondering what the new version will retail for, and if the first one is still being carried at retail. If Sony hasn't had it pulled, it'd be a good idea to go to Target and grab it for $20, then have them replace it instead of paying more. Then again, I'd rather blow $10 more than waste the time and resources on that.

[quote name='TimPV3']I'm wondering what the new version will retail for, and if the first one is still being carried at retail. If Sony hasn't had it pulled, it'd be a good idea to go to Target and grab it for $20, then have them replace it instead of paying more. Then again, I'd rather blow $10 more than waste the time and resources on that.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they will look at when the version was bought too. If it was after a certain date, they may not exchange it for you. I'm just guessing though.

Sony's pretty good about these things... I remember sending an email to them about the shoddy 2nd set of Outer Limits DVDs, which two episodes (I, Robot, and one other) were unwatchable. The discs looked really swirled up and in poor shape from an original box.

I got the automated reply that told me where to send the DVD for checking and such, at my expense... which I decided wasn't worth it... so I didn't send them in.

Lo and behold two weeks later, I got a pristine set of the DVDs in the mail with a letter of apology. Thought that was nice. Then, a week later, I got ANOTHER set in the mail that said the last set they sent out was the old batch and apologized again. ;)

Now, excluding that glitch in shipping, it was rather nice of them to send me a full, shrinkwrapped set of the movies without all the hassle of sending the old ones in... I was totally impressed.

I'll have to provide my info for the Fifth Element... though I must have a vision problem... because it looked fine to me. :)

bread's done
Back