Pakistan blocks Youtube

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan —Pakistani authorities broadened a ban on social networking sites on Thursday, blocking YouTube and about 450 individual Web pages over what it described as “growing sacrilegious content.”

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority blocked YouTube after a special Internet monitoring unit within the agency determined that “objectionable content” was increasing, according to a spokesman, Khurram Mehran.

“Earlier we were blocking the links,” he said of YouTube, “but when content increased we had to block the whole Web site.” The ban, which also included certain pages on the Flickr and Wikipedia sites, occurred a day after access to Facebook was suspended on orders from a Pakistani court. An Islamic lawyers group won that injunction, arguing that a contest started by users for drawings of the Prophet Muhammad — whose depiction is considered blasphemous by some Muslims — was offensive.

The rest: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/world/asia/21pstan.html?hp

A dissident Pakistani on twitter: http://twitter.com/HaroonRiaz

Yup.

[quote name='rabbitt']=/=[/QUOTE]

Didn't say it was. I thought this was a new thread for immature comments. I was just following suit.

[quote name='berzirk']Didn't say it was. I thought this was a new thread for immature comments. I was just following suit.[/QUOTE]

It would seem that you are under this impression every time you post.

[quote name='rabbitt']It would seem that you are under this impression every time you post.[/QUOTE]

This is what tends to tip me off: Cheap Ass Gamer > Forums > Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle > CAG's "vs. mode": Politics & Controversy >

Actually, nevermind. I aspire to add such value to the forums as these posts did:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7189475#post7189475

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7172359#post7172359

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7173379#post7173379

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Berzi-kun, my Muslim friend, guess who this is:

o
\/
/\

Your mother! OWNED

Also, lol Pakistan. How long before they block the internet entirely?

Not that I feel obligated to respond to someone as deaf to circumstance as you, but the first was in response to a personal attack on a long-time poster, the second was responding to a troll (who, as you can see, is now banned) and the third lacks any questionable content (unless you think even referencing the Boobquake is offensive).

You are bad at this game. Now, please, quit derailing the thread so that we can actually hold some sort of discussion.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Hey Berzi-kun, my Muslim friend, guess who this is:

o
\/
/\

Your mother! OWNED

Also, lol Pakistan. How long before they block the internet entirely?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rabbitt']
Not that I feel obligated to respond to someone as deaf to circumstance as you, but the first was in response to a personal attack on a long-time poster, the second was responding to a troll (who, as you can see, is now banned) and the third lacks any questionable content (unless you think even referencing the Boobquake is offensive).

You are bad at this game. Now, please, quit derailing the thread so that we can actually hold some sort of discussion.
[/QUOTE]

Yawn.

Let me ask you a question, berzirk. I only want your own honest opinion on this.

My question is, are you personally offended by depictions of the Prophet Muhammad?

[quote name='rabbitt']Let me ask you a question, berzirk. I only want your own honest opinion on this.

My question is, are you personally offended by depictions of the Prophet Muhammad?[/QUOTE]

Personally, yah, I suppose so. In my culture it's something that shouldn't be done. I think it's fairly lowbrow for people to make a mockery of it, but if they want to, and they're doing it in a country where it's a protected right, then whatever. Doesn't mean they should, but they can.

I'm not offended to the point where I'd organize a protest, make a sign, or scream and yell about it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to view pics.

Good question, I appreciate it.

The whole thing has gotten out of hand. Half the pictures I've seen posted around seem to lean more on stereotypes than anything else. Not to mention that it seems every self righteous Christian has taken this as confirmation of why Islam is evil and Jesus rocks. Check the comments on the facebook page, you have Muslims and Christians both telling each other they're going to burn in hell.

It just gives me more reason to believe that religion does nothing but divide people.

[quote name='berzirk']Personally, yah, I suppose so. In my culture it's something that shouldn't be done. I think it's fairly lowbrow for people to make a mockery of it, but if they want to, and they're doing it in a country where it's a protected right, then whatever. Doesn't mean they should, but they can.

I'm not offended to the point where I'd organize a protest, make a sign, or scream and yell about it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to view pics.

Good question, I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

There's a distinction between culture and religion (which is why words like Islamophobia are junk) that you miss. It's true that the two coincide and, in many cases, influence one-another (diet, for instance), but they are not the same thing.

However, you get the main point. Lowbrow or low culture or rude as some of these cartoons may be, you recognize that I am not required to follow Muslim rules/guidelines/Sharia Law/etc.

But this is precisely what we're talking about. The Muslims that are protesting these cartoons are demanding that non-Muslims be silenced because they are offended.

You have the right to be offended, but you are not given the right to act on it.

[quote name='rabbitt']There's a distinction between culture and religion (which is why words like Islamophobia are junk) that you miss. It's true that the two coincide and, in many cases, influence one-another (diet, for instance), but they are not the same thing.

However, you get the main point. Lowbrow or low culture or rude as some of these cartoons may be, you recognize that I am not required to follow Muslim rules/guidelines/Sharia Law/etc.

But this is precisely what we're talking about. The Muslims that are protesting these cartoons are demanding that non-Muslims be silenced because they are offended.

You have the right to be offended, but you are not given the right to act on it.[/QUOTE]

The culture and religion aspect is actually not separete in Islam. This is one of the major disctinctions between it and other religions. There is a preferred Islamic way to dress, to eat, to sleep, even to use the bathroom. That's sort of the unique thing, Islam is a religion, and a way of life. To my knowledge, this is different from the other monotheistic faiths.

Now culturally, Arabs may infuse their non-religious culture, and that's where you get rubbish like women not being allowed to work, or drive in Saudi, or women in Aghanistan being required to wear burqas, but these are local cultural norms, not a requirement of the religion (look to Indonesia for example, the most populous muslim nation on the planet)

And I don't believe, even those who are protesting it, are demanding that non-muslims observe Islamic customs. They're not yelling at you for eating during Ramadan and sleeping in through the dawn prayer. They're making their disdain for drawing pictures of Muhammad known. That's what most of these protests are about. You've got the sickos that think threatening violence is the way to do it, but most of what is going on is akin to (never thought this would come back up given the earlier posts) an anti-immigration protest, an anti-gay marriage protest, or like we get here in the northwest on occassion, a band of pissed off hippies that don't want to see trees get cut down, and gather to yell and scream.

They want facebook or wikipedia to take down images. Facebook doesn't have to. People can protest it, but at the end of the day, it's up to the organization that's delivering that media. Comedy Central elected not to show the images recently. They legally could, but made the business decision. Facebook, YouTube, and Wikipedia could do the same thing, but none of them are required to cave in to a protestor's wishes.

Edit: Oh, and regarding your last sentence: "You have the right to be offended, but you are not given the right to act on it." ---That's not true at all. I have the right to be offended and speak out against it, thanks to freedom of speech. I would have the right to organize a protest and march down the street. I would have the right to contact all of the organizations and tell them I don't like it. I have lots of avenues to physically act out my opposition, and they're covered by my Constitutional rights.

bread's done
Back