Panasonic Viera 42 inch 720p Plasma 599$ Best Buy

[quote name='etschell']
posted this in other deals, but thought this may be the correct sub category.[/QUOTE]
Step 1. Is this a deal on a system, game, or gaming accessory?

Step 2. If yes, post. If not, goes in Other Deals.

Thanks for the heads up OP. I've been looking for a TV fitting these exact specs so I couldn't be happier to see this show up!

[quote name='JJSP']Step 1. Is this a deal on a system, game, or gaming accessory?

Step 2. If yes, post. If not, goes in Other Deals.[/QUOTE]

Yes, seems like this is definitely a deal on a very essential gaming accessory.

You're confusing gaming accessories like controllers, remotes, and arcade sticks with Televisions. If you walk in to Best Buy and ask for gaming accessories for the 360 will there be 42" TVs sitting there?

While this is a deal, I would hold out to get a 1080p TV at that size. You'll be much happier with the picture quality.

[quote name='depascal22']You're confusing gaming accessories like controllers, remotes, and arcade sticks with Televisions. If you walk in to Best Buy and ask for gaming accessories for the 360 will there be 42" TVs sitting there?

While this is a deal, I would hold out to get a 1080p TV at that size. You'll be much happier with the picture quality.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Most games play native 720p and are then upscaled to 1080p. You don't actually get any additional resolution just because there are more pixels. I have a $4000 Sony Bravia XBR series LCD and a $2000 720P Pioneer Kuro, and I VASTLY prefer the Kuro for everything, including watching blurays (though those are native 1080p). It's just that I find the picture quality on the 720p plasma to be vastly superior to any LCD I've seen 1080p 120hz or whatever.

I was actually at best buy last night looking at this particular TV and thought it looked really nice for the money. Nice black levels, nice color. It's a great deal.

[quote name='charlescheese']Not necessarily. Most games play native 720p and are then upscaled to 1080p. You don't actually get any additional resolution just because there are more pixels. I have a $4000 Sony Bravia XBR series LCD and a $2000 720P Pioneer Kuro, and I VASTLY prefer the Kuro for everything, including watching blurays (though those are native 1080p). It's just that I find the picture quality on the 720p plasma to be vastly superior to any LCD I've seen 1080p 120hz or whatever.

I was actually at best buy last night looking at this particular TV and thought it looked really nice for the money. Nice black levels, nice color. It's a great deal.[/QUOTE]

Dang, a $4000 AND a $2000 tv? I knew Chuck e' Cheese was ballin'...but not like that. Anyway to be on topic I have to agree with him that sometimes the 720p tvs manage to look better than the 1080. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me a few times, but it was true. Great price on this tv too! Oh and I also agree that a tv is a essential gaming accessory. In my BB if you walk into the gaming section there is a row of tvs lined up all around this section showing off what tv "deals" they have this week. BB isn't stupid, they know their target audiences. So yes I would consider this a gaming accessory. After all you cant play the game without a tv.

There are too many explanations for why one TV will look better on display than the other. Lighting is usually uneven. Some TVs share the signal with six other TVs while a couple in odd spots will just share with one or two. It also depends on who set the TV up. Some guys will literally just plug it in and power it up with little to no adjustment while some guys will take an entire shift to get a TV just right. In fact, a big box store is the worst possible place to get a decent read on which TV will get you the best picture when you get it on your wall.

Don't get me wrong. Plasma will look better most of the time. I would just wait for a similar sized 1080p Plasma to be the same price and you'll be very happy.

bread's done
Back