Paper Mario Sticker Star - 11/11/2012

I had this pre-ordered @ gamestop for their decal, but apparently they didn't receive enough...so I canceled my order right on the spot and going to rant about this experience. :bomb:

[quote name='crunchewy']I love this game, but I need to get an XL - It gets a bit uncomfortable (cramped fingers) playing this on my kids' original 3DS. Or maybe one of those add-on grips that makes it like a game controller would do the trick. I might try that.[/QUOTE]

Using the 3DS controller pad pro does help out, makes it feel more solid in your hands!

I initially had so much hype for this game but as it got closer and closer to coming out my hype for it waned and now I have none. It feels as if I'm not in the "mood" for Paper Mario right now, which I thought wasn't something that I would ever say. My taste in games feels like it's changing and it's scary and I don't like it. I'm too young to be going through video game puberty dag nabbit!

Reading that story, I would have really enjoyed the 3DS version being "essentially a port of the Gamecube version"... that one was the best. And the Super Paper Mario story *wasn't* interesting, but that doesn't mean you should abandon the story part. Why not, say, improve it! I don't really understand the thinking there. The story was great for the 1st two Paper Mario games, and elements of it (like Mario as "Gonzalez") I will never forget. Besides... they had a ready made story to use: Paper Luigi! That is teased throughout all of the games, and would have been a great direction to go.

Finish it today. It was okay, but towards the end it definitely felt like they were artificially padding when running out of content.
Partially filled the museum, but completing it would just be tedious, and the rewards don't justify the time needed to do so.
Debating to sell or keep. The story is so thin, there's really nothing there besides the usual Peach thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='soonersfan60']It can't be worse than Super Paper Mario... it just can't.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying.

I ordered a copy and it'll be here Tuesday... I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, everything that I've seen looks pretty good, even if there are a few omissions that I'd obviously rather have in there. All that being said, I just keep saying to myself, "It's just gotta be better than Super Paper Mario".

I've come close to pulling the trigger but I think I'm going to wait for it to hit $20... maybe. C'mon GameFly!

This one is ok, I'm halfway through world 5. Very limited puzzles with few rpg elemtns almost really none, no grinding at all, you get extra HP by finding 5+ hearts that are hidden through out the game. Mario has no special skills, I wish there were more variations of the stickers which are used to attack, the best ones are the items
that you can change into stickers shortly after the game starts and each one does hold it's own purpose and may be useful for certain task, the animation of these stickers are what truly stand out.

The game is by far not difficult, very easy, the story does have some entertainment value and I give this around a 6-10 hour completion time. For the ones that like the extra missions per say
there is a gallery of stickers in a museum which really isn't difficult to ascertain items but is time consuming
. I put this game right above Super Paper Mario, my favorite by far still remains Paper Mario:The Thousand Year door.

They need to bring back companions and bring back all of those rpg elements, they were what made the series great.

Heck, how about a direct sequel to Seven Stars? I'd even take a remake ala OoT(or better). SMRPG was probably my favorite SNES game.

Anyway, I am excited to give this game a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up unloading this to Gamestop with their trade-in bump. I kind of felt like they were discouraging you from battle by A) not giving experience points and B) causing you to expend seemingly limited resources (in the form of stickers) for battles that you can pretty much skip. It essentially incentivizes you to speedrun the game and skip battles as much as possible.

[quote name='skiizim']This one is ok, I'm halfway through world 5. Very limited puzzles with few rpg elemtns almost really none, no grinding at all, you get extra HP by finding 5+ hearts that are hidden through out the game. Mario has no special skills, I wish there were more variations of the stickers which are used to attack, the best ones are the items
that you can change into stickers shortly after the game starts and each one does hold it's own purpose and may be useful for certain task, the animation of these stickers are what truly stand out.

The game is by far not difficult, very easy, the story does have some entertainment value and I give this around a 6-10 hour completion time. For the ones that like the extra missions per say
there is a gallery of stickers in a museum which really isn't difficult to ascertain items but is time consuming
. I put this game right above Super Paper Mario, my favorite by far still remains Paper Mario:The Thousand Year door.[/QUOTE]

maybe if you have a guild 6 hours if not more like 20+ cause you have no idea where half the hidden doors are

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I ended up unloading this to Gamestop with their trade-in bump. I kind of felt like they were discouraging you from battle by A) not giving experience points and B) causing you to expend seemingly limited resources (in the form of stickers) for battles that you can pretty much skip. It essentially incentivizes you to speedrun the game and skip battles as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

how much are they giving for this game

Ew. Glad I read this. It was on my short list of 3DS games to buy now that I've got one, but I think I'll pass.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I ended up unloading this to Gamestop with their trade-in bump. I kind of felt like they were discouraging you from battle by A) not giving experience points and B) causing you to expend seemingly limited resources (in the form of stickers) for battles that you can pretty much skip. It essentially incentivizes you to speedrun the game and skip battles as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

it was a fun but insane find this piece to advance game... i got though world 2 before i said to hell with it and sold it on ebay for 38 shipped

now if you had a guide or even have a printer where you can print out the 130 page walkthough on gamefaqs would be a way to go

[quote name='slidecage']it was a fun but insane find this piece to advance game... i got though world 2 before i said to hell with it and sold it on ebay for 38 shipped

now if you had a guide or even have a printer where you can print out the 130 page walkthough on gamefaqs would be a way to go[/QUOTE]

why can't you just use gamefaqs on your pc/smartphone/tablet?

[quote name='62t']why can't you just use gamefaqs on your pc/smartphone/tablet?[/QUOTE]

hate running back and forth turning on my pc :)

and dont have a tablet yet...

it was just a pain in the ass how many times i got lost in this game...

[quote name='slidecage']it was a fun but insane find this piece to advance game... i got though world 2 before i said to hell with it and sold it on ebay for 38 shipped

now if you had a guide or even have a printer where you can print out the 130 page walkthough on gamefaqs would be a way to go[/QUOTE]

There's a pretty good web browser on the 3DS. I understand your frustration with the game though and value your input. A game that requires the walkthru isn't much of a game. I got lost in Super Paper Mario and just gave up.

I have been having a lot more fun with it then most people have as well from what I've read (I'm at the end of World 3, trying to collect everything in the game). But the big thing is how different it is from the past Paper Mario titles and that's what a lot of people wanted this to be like, and since it's so different they may not like the direction the series is going in (same with how Super Paper Mario was different from the others as well).

I got sidetracked into playing other stuff, but I've really enjoyed the game so far. I like the stickers system and I like that there is no need to grind. I fail to understand how a game that requires you to grind would be better, but I guess different strokes for different folks....

[quote name='crunchewy']I got sidetracked into playing other stuff, but I've really enjoyed the game so far. I like the stickers system and I like that there is no need to grind. I fail to understand how a game that requires you to grind would be better, but I guess different strokes for different folks....[/QUOTE]

This sums up my feelings pretty well. I hate grinding in RPGs. I enjoyed super paper Mario, but that was my first game in the series. I have thousand year door and the original, but don't get much TV game time anymore, especially single-player.

[quote name='bjstucker']got guide for this today for 8.00 at gamestop. seems like a decent purchase from what everyone says.[/QUOTE]

how did you get the guide for 8?

crap you get 10% off with rewards card... now try to get it tomorrow.... i hate you mario... o how i hate you LOL

i got the game off amazon again for 24 would not be bad for game and guide for 32.... probally could get 32 out of it easy

I'm through World 1 and the lack of XP really confuses me. I'll probably finish it, but at this point I just try to avoid the battles because they give you no benefit and cause you to lose your stickers, which you will eventually need for battles you actually have to fight. If a game causes you to not play it... that's kind of a problem.

I am excited to know about it. I love this game. When ever i play i feel pleasure. Some people criticize its few series. But it think so its fantastic. I am fond of paper Mario sticker star. I ever try to make stickers of it.

There are no stickers in the case. I love the sticker star.It's my passion. Some people don't like it due to some deficiencies in it. I have got some stickers of it from here. I always enjoy to play this game.

[quote name='carlynbeatrix']When ever i play i feel pleasure. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='carlynbeatrix']It's my passion. [/QUOTE]

I wish I liked anything this much.

I caved and picked it up yesterday. I had nothing to play at work on the shitter and when I started up Oracle of Seasons for the billionth time I knew it was time for something new. I hope it's good!

[quote name='Rocko']I'm through World 1 and the lack of XP really confuses me. I'll probably finish it, but at this point I just try to avoid the battles because they give you no benefit and cause you to lose your stickers, which you will eventually need for battles you actually have to fight. If a game causes you to not play it... that's kind of a problem.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same issue. Is running from battles and avoiding them in general the way to play this? It is confusing. I was roaming around in 1-2 today with no stickers and therefore no way to attack! It's weird to say the least.

I like it so far but it is a stretch to call it an RPG - the only thing it really has in common is turned based battles.

[quote name='Javery']I'm having the same issue. Is running from battles and avoiding them in general the way to play this? It is confusing. I was roaming around in 1-2 today with no stickers and therefore no way to attack! It's weird to say the least.

I like it so far but it is a stretch to call it an RPG - the only thing it really has in common is turned based battles.[/QUOTE]

You get a huge coin bonus at the end of a level depending on how many enemies you defeated. I'm pretty sure the benefits of fighting outweigh the benefits of running from battles.

If you're just trying to beat the game as quickly as possible, then I can see trying to avoid battles (this could make a quick speed run much more viable than for a real RPG)

I'm still on the fence on this one. I never finished Super Paper Mario. The reviews are mixed, but they mostly refer to 1000 Year Door, which came out 9 years ago.

The thing is cheap, though! must.. resist

I'm up to world 4 and am having fun with this game. I didn't even think about no XP or skipping battles because of it. I'm sure most games I play, I don't get XP in them. Doesn't stop me from playing them.

I'm kind of lost. I got to the end of World 1 but I'm getting killed by the boss. I think I need to upgrade my health somehow. I guess I'll wander around in town and see if I find anything. I just got the museum unlocked.... not sure I have the patience to collect everything.

[quote name='Javery']I'm kind of lost. I got to the end of World 1 but I'm getting killed by the boss. I think I need to upgrade my health somehow. I guess I'll wander around in town and see if I find anything. I just got the museum unlocked.... not sure I have the patience to collect everything.[/QUOTE]

If you hit the X button when out in the world, it brings up the menu on the bottom screen. There is a "things" tab. Everything on that tab, you can turn into a sticker and use in different ways. If you go to the town with the shop, leave the town to the left. There is a guy there that will turn your "things" into stickers.

Spoiler below for which thing to use on World 1 boss. The boss fights are pretty tough if you don't use the right thing sticker. I just use IGN's wiki as I don't feel like trying to figure it out on my own. :)

If I remember, the scissors thing is what does good damage to the boss. It can be found in World 1-1 if you haven't found it yet. I had to get the scissors again just last night in order to get to world 4.

[quote name='Javery']Thanks - I forgot about the Things! I used the faucet, cat-o-luck and scissors and the boss fight was easy.[/QUOTE]

Finding the right things to use is key to the game.

I'm half way through world 4 now and in still really enjoying it.

I'm still playing this although Luigi's Mansion is taking up most of my 3DS time these days. I'm just about finished with World 3 and I think the game has turned a corner - I'm used to the battles and the way the game is set up with the stickers - it is frustrating when you don't know what to do next though.

I've been going back and using the blue door stickers everywhere I can find them. Is there one on every level? I think it would have been smart for the developers to put a small icon on the map for each level when you find the door otherwise there is no way to keep track.

Finished the game last night. Took a few levels to accept the new battle system. World 4 was incredible, including the mansion. Now on to Luigi's Mansion.

I'm at 5-2. I'm not a fan of RPGs so I guess this is why I'm enjoying this one as much; it doesn't have the RPG elements like but nonetheless, it's a great game for me :)

Just got to World 4. Holy crap there was a lot to do and figure out to get there. I also was told I wasted a ton of stickers fighting the giant Blooper.

I stopped playing this between Fire Emblem Awakenings and Luigi's Mansion, now with those out the way I can get back into it and probably beat it before Project X Zone comes out.

bread's done
Back