Paramount Offers Ten Dollar Rebate for Blu-ray Upgrades UPDATED

kennistond

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Paramount is working to lure fans to their new slate of Blu-ray offerings by dangling a ten dollar carrot before their eyes.

Beginning with the release of the 'Transformers' Blu-ray on September 2nd, the company will roll out a special promotion to customers who replace their Paramount and Dreamworks DVD’s with Blu-ray editions of the same titles. Consumers who mail in promotional certificates from inside the eligible Blu-ray products, along with the proof-of-purchase tabs from both the DVD and Blu-ray versions will receive a $10 rebate for the upgrade.

Other eligible titles will include 'The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration,' 'Sweeney Todd,' 'Old School,' 'Stardust,' and 'Zodiac.'
All of the pertinent details will be included on the inserts included with specially marked packages. Eligible titles must be purchased before December 31, 2009, with all rebate certificates post-marked by January 31, 2010.

UPDATE: According to the representative who alerted us to this promotion, this offer will apply to applicable HD DVD titles as well.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...s_Ten_Dollar_Rebate_for_Blu-ray_Upgrades/2020

I think that's pretty good incentive for people that already own those movies especially if you can find both copies cheap.

Old School will be the first I use this for since it's the only one I own that qualifies.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for the people who just bought it on HD-DVD and not DVD. :wall:

Hopefully, it'll be like the Disney rebates and that it'll be any POP from any part of the DVD case and the BR case.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Hopefully, it'll be like the Disney rebates and that it'll be any POP from any part of the DVD case and the BR case.[/quote]

If they take some sort of insert, that would be awesome seeing how my Family Video doesn't care if the inserts are in the DVD cases.

[quote name='shrike4242']So much for the people who just bought it on HD-DVD and not DVD. [/quote]

Your dreams just came true, Shrike.

I might actually do this for Old School... except even after $10 rebate it would probably still be about $15. But we have a whole year, so who knows, might just see these one sale for $15 during that time and that would make them $5. Almost makes me want to buy the dvd's cheap now, to cash in on a potentially cheap BD later ;)

Aren't Blu-Rays generally $10 more than regular DVD's? So, basically, you're buying the same movie twice, for the same amount as the first time.

If they want customers to switch, trade in the actual dvd for Blu-Ray, and pay just $5 more.

[quote name='Ather']Aren't Blu-Rays generally $10 more than regular DVD's? So, basically, you're buying the same movie twice, for the same amount as the first time.

If they want customers to switch, trade in the actual dvd for Blu-Ray, and pay just $5 more.[/quote]
If you already have the movie it's not too bad, and many people will buy the BD after already having the DVD anyway. Most people will see $20 for a new BD ($30 I'm guessing for a lot of these-$10) as a good deal; people think $20 for a new DVD is a good deal.

If I see any mentioned titles on DVD for $5 in the next few months I might just buy them, in the hopes I can get them for $15 on BD at some point, making it essentially $10 for a Blu-Ray.

Definitly keeping my eyes peeled for Old School since I have it already. $10 is my limit on high def so $15 for it now-$10 rebate is fine by me.

Most of these I held off on buying because I was waiting for the blu-ray releases. I did crack & pickup Stardust, so that's one anyway.

[quote name='kennistond']Your dreams just came true, Shrike.[/quote][Borat] Very nice. [/Borat]

I picked up Old School from iNetVideo.com, so upgrading that one makes me money on the deal. :D

Transformers was from a B1G1 sale at BB with a RZ cert thrown in there, so that was a little more than $10 for the HD-DVD version. For just the audio upgrade, it's a little expensive pill to swallow.

Zodiac was an Amazon.com purchase, though I'd need to see if the BR version gives any advantages over the HD-DVD version.

NO!

I actually HAVE the insert that I got with my Transformers BD - its ONLY for the DVD version!

Here is the picture I took

Clearly says 'DVD' at the top of HD DVD is not mentioned anywhere. Unless Paramount has decided to change this and accept HD DVD UPCs it will not work.

[quote name='GizmoGC']NO!

I actually HAVE the insert that I got with my Transformers BD - its ONLY for the DVD version!

Here is the picture I took

Clearly says 'DVD' at the top of HD DVD is not mentioned anywhere. Unless Paramount has decided to change this and accept HD DVD UPCs it will not work.[/quote]
Thanks for the pic!

I will try to see if I can get my dad's Transformers DVD PoP when I pick up the Blu-Ray version of that. I also got Old School from a friend, so this will be a nice upgrade as well.

Hopefully, Paramount has decided to update the promotion and throw a bone to those who bought into HD-DVD. Doesn't matter much to me, because I really haven't felt a need to "upgrade" any of my HD-DVDs. Probably won't until something really blows me away. I would like to take advantage of this or similar deals, though, to clear out some DVDs. At the very least, Old School.

For the rebate to work on Godfather, do you have to have the Coppola Restoration Collection? Or will the collection that has been out for 5 years work?

[quote name='crazynater']For the rebate to work on Godfather, do you have to have the Coppola Restoration Collection? Or will the collection that has been out for 5 years work?[/QUOTE]
+1

Argh, I bought the Special Edition Transformers DVD from Target (with the transforming case!) but I can't find any Proofs of Purchase on the clear plastic or the transforming case itself. >.

I refuse to cut off the PoP. I wish they'd put it on a perforated tear-off flap or something, so you could remove it without messing up the case insert.

[quote name='yuy104']Argh, I bought the Special Edition Transformers DVD from Target (with the transforming case!) but I can't find any Proofs of Purchase on the clear plastic or the transforming case itself. >.

[quote name='crazynater']For the rebate to work on Godfather, do you have to have the Coppola Restoration Collection? Or will the collection that has been out for 5 years work?[/QUOTE]

It'll work for the original boxset. Since after all the Coppola Restoration Collection is the first time they have been released on an HD format. In this case I'm refering to Bluray obviously.

I have the special Edition of Transformers on DVD...and I too do not see a proof of purchase tab anywhere? I should have bought the basic edition of Transformers on DVD!! This blows!!

Just checked my 2-disc TF dvd, and the proof of purchase is on the paper slip that lists the credits and disc features. I don't remember if this was inside the slip cover or stickied onto the outside of it. But, its in the upper right corner above the UPC. Lucky for me, I saved this but others may not have.

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']Am I only one who wouldn't want to cut out park of the cover art of both the dvd and blu ray?

Are there no other alternatives to getting around this??[/quote]

I agree--it would have been nice if they at least didn't make you chop up the Blu ray one--especially since the only way to get the form is in the Blu-Ray box.

Pass... I have patience to wait for cheap Blu Ray Deals. Not to mention I see them doing the same patterns as they did DVDs so not a problem to wait.

If the hd-dvd is a combo, shouldn't that qualify as a $20 rebate?

sigh, too much work and too little rebate for this stupid double dip, skip...

My brother's copy doesn't have a proof of purchase so I will be looking for it pre-played at Blockbuster, (of course

bread's done
Back