Paranormal Activity

Why would you want a movie shot on video in Blu-Ray, just get the DVD save a few bucks, and keep your portability. The upconvert looks great anyway.

Pretty sure he's not asking for your opinions on the movie. If you don't have anything to add about finding a better price on it, shut the fuck up.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Pretty sure he's not asking for your opinions on the movie. If you don't have anything to add about finding a better price on it, shut the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

Right, fucking whats up with everynody today?

^ now i just have to say this: this is the worst movie i have ever seen!
and also, getting it on blu-ray won't make it any better.

that's right, im starting this shit-storm! :lol:

EDIT: good luck though.
Happy New Year everyone!

[quote name='sickle']^ now i just have to say this: this is the worst movie i have ever seen!
and also, getting it on blu-ray won't make it any better.

that's right, im starting this shit-storm! :lol:

EDIT: good luck though.
Happy New Year everyone![/QUOTE]

I dont give a shit about the movie, but evrybody on CAG today must be on their period.

I'm amazed at the hatred for this movie. Lets have a little appreciation for what can be accomplished with 12 grand.

My Local Wal-Marts have if for $19.99 right now, might be different in your area.

It was a really good movie imo, 100x better then Blair Witch.
Even thou you know its fake it still scares you, adds an extra level to it when you watch it at home at night.

[quote name='ceck3969']Why would you want a movie shot on video in Blu-Ray, just get the DVD save a few bucks, and keep your portability. The upconvert looks great anyway.[/QUOTE]

^ This, if you want it.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']I got these for $19.99 on Blu-ray! :D Also Jennifer's Body for $17.99 on Blu-ray! :D[/QUOTE]

how and where?

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']I got these for $19.99 on Blu-ray! :D Also Jennifer's Body for $17.99 on Blu-ray! :D[/QUOTE]

Why would you come in this thread where he his asking for the best price on these movies, then brag about your prices, yet fail to give the location?

fucking idiots on this site sometimes....

[quote name='mission42']Why would you come in this thread where he his asking for the best price on these movies, then brag about your prices, yet fail to give the location?

fucking idiots on this site sometimes....[/QUOTE]

i think his sig makes up for it, lol.

[quote name='alangst']I'm amazed at the hatred for this movie. Lets have a little appreciation for what can be accomplished with 12 grand.[/QUOTE]

How did they spend more than $2,000?

how did you? Amazon??

[quote name='JaroldL']i think his sig makes up for it, lol.[/QUOTE]

While the Sig is good, I don't think it needs to be both the Sig and the Avatar...another fail on his part.

[quote name='alangst']I'm amazed at the hatred for this movie. Lets have a little appreciation for what can be accomplished with 12 grand.[/QUOTE]

If you're impressed with that, go to Youtube and search for Panic Attack. It's a short film made with a $300 budget, and it looks as good as anything in theaters. I understand that the director got a movie deal.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']If you're impressed with that, go to Youtube and search for Panic Attack. It's a short film made with a $300 budget, and it looks as good as anything in theaters. I understand that the director got a movie deal.[/QUOTE]

It's not even good.

I would recommend passing on the BR now- not many extra features. I'm sure they'll re-release in 6-12 months with additional endings and such. Great movie- people who don't like it can go see Saw 10.

Good grief, cats and dogs in this thread.

Maybe the OP has a collection of blurays and would like to continue a bluray collection, and not go back to DVD.

I never plan on purchasing another DVD over a bluray (no matter of quality or price), only if DVD was my only option.

[quote name='Josef']This is definitely a movie you can get on DVD and won't notice that much of a difference.[/QUOTE]

Cool, dvds do HD audio now?

$15.99 at amazon for dvd plus you get VOD copy to watch instantly.
http://www.amazon.com/Paranormal-Ac...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262203734&sr=8-1

IMO the movie was good, alot better than the usual crap that gets released in theaters. Both dvd and bluray mention the alternate ending. From what I've heard there are actually 3 alternate endings. I've only seen 2, the original screener version for sundance/cannes and the theater version. I liked the original ending better.

The hilarious thing is this movie is what people are always claiming they miss from the olden days. No CGI, not all blood and gore, decent acting, Nice slow build up until shit hits the fan. But because it came out now, the "I hate everything that's popular" crowd despises it.

[quote name='opterasis']The hilarious thing is this movie is what people are always claiming they miss from the olden days. No CGI, not all blood and gore, decent acting, Nice slow build up until shit hits the fan. But because it came out now, the "I hate everything that's popular" crowd despises it.[/QUOTE]

people gotta hate

[quote name='exRounder']thanks yoda[/QUOTE]
Awesome.

[quote name='opterasis']The hilarious thing is this movie is what people are always claiming they miss from the olden days. No CGI, not all blood and gore, decent acting, Nice slow build up until shit hits the fan. But because it came out now, the "I hate everything that's popular" crowd despises it.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious how this will actually translate to home viewing. I found that the experience was great in a theater, because of the shared anxiety. When it hits the last few nights, I could practically feel the crowd bristling as they were waiting for something to happen. Great job of building anxiety and suspense. But when you know what's coming and you don't have other people freaking out around you does the film hold up?

Trying to sway back on topic, I did a search and found multiple other forums asking this same question with the general response of "nope, still $25".

Sorry, I was wrong earlier......only $11,000 for the movie. And here's a cost breakdown from an EW article:

How to make a movie for $11,000
Director Oren Peli reveals where every penny went

Camera (Sony FX1): $3,000
+
Red Bull: $100
+
Miscellaneous camera equipment (tapes, lights, lens, batteries, microphone): $1,000
+
Editing PC (Dell) and editing software (Sony Vegas): $4,000
+
Catering (groceries and Pizza Hut): $500
+
Casting costs, accommodations, trips to L.A.: $1,000
+
Wood for making a cross: $20
+
Baby powder: $3
+
Materials and printing costs for Ouija board: $35
+
Actors (Micah, Katie, and others): $1,500
+
Cop costume rental (for deleted scene): $400

TOTAL: $11,558

For that much the movie was bad. I would get the BD over the DVD just for the fact that I don't want to get DVDs again unless it is only on that or the better one is the DVD. As for a deal I don't think their is one yet. I would just hold off as I think someone will have this for 15-20 in the next few weeks. I'm wanting this too even though I didn't think it was as great as people said it was. I wish I would have went to see Zombieland instead of this in theaters.

BJ's Wholesale Club near me had it for $27.99 on BR, but it had an instant rebate of $5.00 bringing it down to $22.99. It said it was good through 1/3/10.

I believe the DVD version had an instant rebate as well, but I didn't pay that close attention to it since I was buying it on Blu.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I'm curious how this will actually translate to home viewing. I found that the experience was great in a theater, because of the shared anxiety. When it hits the last few nights, I could practically feel the crowd bristling as they were waiting for something to happen. Great job of building anxiety and suspense. But when you know what's coming and you don't have other people freaking out around you does the film hold up?[/QUOTE]

While there's nothing quite like watching something for the first time, I think that while the theater has the communal experience going for it, watching it at at your house brings the movie, if you'll pardon the pun, closer to home. Seeing the film in a place similar to the one where the events are unfolding will probably make me look over my shoulder a little more.

I'll probably enjoy watching at home more because my theater had people going Mystery Science Theater on the movie, except not funny.

The Blu-ray doesn't seem worth it due to the lack of any exclusive features (outside of a Digital Copy) and no BD-Live support. The DVD is by all accounts the better buy, I'd say.

Paranormal Activity is easily the best horror film of the decade, and the poster who claimed it was a rip-off of The Blair Witch Project has no earthly idea what the hell he/she is talking about. The only commonality between the two films is the shaky-cam style, which did not start with Blair Witch (which is sickeningly overrated) and certainly did not end with it. The two films create tension in drastically different ways.

I picked up the Blu for $25 and saw it with my bro-in-law tonight. I had seen it in the theatre and loved it. It's not as scary the second time around, but it's just as entertaining.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Good grief, cats and dogs in this thread.

Maybe the OP has a collection of blurays and would like to continue a bluray collection, and not go back to DVD.

I never plan on purchasing another DVD over a bluray (no matter of quality or price), only if DVD was my only option.[/QUOTE]

wow this thread has grown haha. And you're correct Viol8tor. :applause: I have a way bigger bluray collection then DVD and wish to continue to add to my bluray collection.

[quote name='alangst']Cop costume rental (for deleted scene): $400[/QUOTE]

That seems like a ripoff. They paid the costume as much as an actor...

I don't recall any deleted scenes on the DVD. The alternate ending was interesting, but nothing special:
Instead of the girl attacking the camera and disappearing forever, she walks into the bedroom holding a knife and proceeds to slit her throat with it. They don't have the scene of the boyfriend being thrown into the camera, he's presumably downstairs & dead.

Apparently, the cop alternate ending used to be exclusively available on YouTube only. Now it seems to have been pulled. There is one alternate ending available on the normal dvd and it involves no cops. Since i've read that the film was made from over 70 hours of somewhat improvised footage over a 16 day period, I'm guessing eventually we'll see a deluxe bluray/dvd disc with lots more included.

Biggest let down of the decade is the better line. All hype no juice.

Here's my synopsis of the movie: Oh no there's a ghost haunting me. Oh no loud noise. Oh no loud noise. Oh no louder noise. Oh no loud noise. End shitty movie

bread's done
Back