Party songs

slimpip

CAGiversary!
Last night I threw a little shindig and may have burned myself out on the music reeeeaaal quickly. My friend brought over his DJ equipment, mixer, amp tape deck the works and I took over.... and now the encore must be performed in 2 weeks.....

so I am asking the CAG community for suggestions. I don't care what kind of music it is.... I listen to any and everything, but this is a college crowd... a bunch of 80's babies so keep that in mind. I just need suggestions that will keep the party alive and everyone happy (although the keg also does that). Also, I have the new hip-hop and rap pretty much down (pretty easy to nail what everyone wants to dance to by switching on TRL or MTV2 for a week :puke: ).

Last night, I played all the cliche songs when everyone was drunk... because that's really all I know.

Just to name a few so you guys don't suggest them again:

Queen - Bohemian Rhap. and Don't Stop Me Now
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama, Free Bird
Manamana song from the Muppets (surprise song lol)
Stuck in the Middle w/ You
Preacher Man (a request, and unexpected hit with the crowd)
Huey Lewis and the News (my addition :))
Some AC/DC
A lil' Elvis
Johnny Cash - Rng of Fire
Foundation - Build me up Buttercup

Some ideas I could use:

More oldies like above
More good 'pop'ular songs
Something people could move to
Old school hip-hop (late 80's, 90-96 era)

So please help me out :)

These are just 80s/90s songs, some are slow (you need slow dances too), some aren't.

Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian (You've got Ring of Fire in there, Bangles can fit in)
Blondie - Call Me
Police - Every Breath You Take
Wham - Careless Whisper (this song reeks 80s)
INXS - I Need You Tonight
Madonna - Like A Virgin (you know you want to)
Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Joan Jett - I Love Rock & Roll
Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
Paula Abdul - Straight Up
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Hall and Oates - Out Of Touch
Kool & The Gang - Celebration
Van Halen - Jump
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Lipps, Inc - Funkytown
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
Michael Sembello - Maniac
A-Ha - Take On Me
Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (Just kidding, wanted to see if you were still paying attention)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (GREAT dance song)
John Waite - Missing You (Good Slow Song)
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Phil Collins - Easy Lover
Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (for the women there)
U2 - With Or Without You (would be a good 'winding down' song)
Duran Duran - The Reflex (another good dance song)
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (80's personified)
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
Foreigner - Waiting For A Girl Like You
Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (A must have)
Cars - Drive
Berlin - Take My Breath Away (another slow song)
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name
Taco - Puttin' On The Ritz
Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Tone Loc - Wild Thing (Must have)
Kool & The Gang - Ladies Night
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance (just for laughs)
Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel
Bananarama - Venus
Genesis - Land Of Confusion
Beach Boys - Kokomo
B-52's - Love Shack
Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies
Journey - Who's Crying Now
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight
Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F (oh hell yes)
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina
Bryan Adams - Run To You
Cure - Love Song
Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (I'll kick your ass if you don't add this)
Guns N Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
Billy Squier - Stroke
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Run DMC - Walk This Way
Loverboy - Workin' For The Weekend
Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right (To Party)
Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen
Snap - The Power
Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Paula Abdul - Rush Rush

Mostly dance songs past this:

C&C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat
EMF - Unbelievable
Sir Mix A Lot - Baby Got Back
Wrekx 'n' Effect - Rump Shaker
Tag Team - Whoomp! (There It Is)
Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer
Haddaway - What Is Love
Crystal Waters - 100% Pure Love
Culture Beat - Mr. Vain
Nikki French - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
Corona - Rhythm Of The Night
Everything But The Girl - Missing
La Bouche - Be My Lover
La Bouche - Sweet Dreams
Amber - This Is Your Night

Most of the 90's dance songs are at the bottom. I hope this list helps. It took me about an hour to sort and type up.

Admit it.. you guys would kill for me to DJ a party that you were having.

THANK YOU SCORCH! That list is fantastic, you basically just threw the party yourself haha. I'll have to update this topic with some pics of people's reactions in 2 weeks.... then you can see your compilation in action.

fuck I can not get over how great that list is..... if you ever need a favor finding a game or anything else let me know, I owe you one!

[quote name='Scorch']Admit it.. you guys would kill for me to DJ a party that you were having.[/QUOTE]fuck, if I had to listen to all of that shit in one night I would kill many, many people. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']fuck, if I had to listen to all of that shit in one night I would kill many, many people. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No problem, you wouldn't be let in the door.

MARRS- Pump up the Volume
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- White Lines
NIN- head like a hole
Marshall Jefferson- Move your Body
JM silk- Jack your body
Colonel Abrams- trapped
Inner City- Big Fun
Inner City- Good Life
Human League- Don't you want me baby
Pete Rock and CL Smooth- TROY
laid Back- white Horse
Bucketheads- The bomb
Real McCoy- Run Away

And Greatest House song ever:
Stardust- Music sounds better with you

[quote name='massermind19']The Darkness - Hazel Eyes
[highlight]Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen[/highlight]
Rick James - Superfreak
Rick James - Give it to me Baby[/QUOTE]
I'll take the Save Ferris cover of that. One of "their" better songs.
That and Reel Big Fish - Take On Me cover.

Mortiis - Parasite God
Hatebreed Eternal - Condemned
Clawfinger - Burn In Hell
Jackyl - Billy Badass
Gwar - Bring Back The Bomb
Sepultura - Ostia
Cryptopsy - The Pestilence That Walketh in Darkness
Naglfar - Revelations Carved in Flesh
Belphegor - The Goatreich – Fleshcult
Funeral Mist - Holy Poison
Drudkh - Glare of 1768
Mayhem - Whore
1349 - Celestial Deconstruction
Equilibrium - Toten Heldensagen
Nailshitter - As Maggots Pour From Her Ass
Nailshitter - Wading Through Bile
Cattle Decapitation - To Serve Man
A Team - Verbal Bowelmovement
Watchmaker - The Wrong End of Living
Circle of Dead Children - Host(age)
Nasum - A Welcome Breeze of Stinking Air
Triac - Old Leprechaun
Pig Destroyer - Flagburner
Pig Destroyer - Towering Flesh
Kill the Client - Moneywhore
Rotten Sound - Alone At Last
Terminally Your Aborted Ghost - Underbelly Lover
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Die And Get The fuck Outta The Way
fuck The Facts - Gab Abflex
Infected - Raping For More
Total fucking Destruction - Intense Negative Woman
Head Wound City - Michael J. Fox
Bruce Banner - fuck
Misery Index - Dead Shall Rise

Don't forget Cherry Lips by Garbage and Dope Nose by Weezer. ;)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']fuck, if I had to listen to all of that shit in one night I would kill many, many people. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to agree with Subbie. Those songs are the number 1 reason why I hate going to wedding receptions. Every fucking dj who's ever had his own business always plays that shit. I hate all those, and especially that fucking "Old Time Rock N' Roll" by Bob Segar. Good lord, I wanna punch the dj every time I hear that song.

Thank you sooo much to everyone who contributed so far (esp. Scorch, Blade, and WeaponX who typed up some extensive lists)... if you guys ever need to find anything or need a favor let me know.

And I know what Subbie and shieryda are saying, but when you have 25 people asking for this and 5 others for that i have to go with the 25 people. I'm not a professional DJ or anything, just a college kid who would rather entertain than drink himself :) Subbie and shieryda please throw some suggestions out there because I will almost certainly use them.

Thanks again. And keep the suggestions coming! Some more classic rock from the 70's would be great!!!

B00005RY7X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Blade - This is an 80s and 90s party, not some heavy/death metal concert. Can you honestly recommend a song that's called "As Maggots Pour From Her Ass"?!

Download as much Ace Of Base as possible.

I thought about recommending that, especially "Cruel Summer".

I like Andrew W.K. ("Ready to Die" would probably be a good choice), but no one would have any idea who he was.

Good call with "Run Away" by Real McCoy, Weapon. Great song.

DMX - "Party Up"
G N' R - "Sweet Child of Mine"
Chemical Brothers - "Hey Boy Hey Girl"
Paul Oakenfold - "Dance all Night"
Beastie Boys - "Paul Revere", "Body Movin'", "Sabotage"
Crystal Method - "Busy Child"
Mody - "South Side"

A party staple: Rob Base - "It Takes 2"

[quote name='slimpip']Subbie and shieryda please throw some suggestions out there because I will almost certainly use them.[/QUOTE]As far as classic rock goes:
The Doors - Five to One, Light my Fire, Roadhouse Blues

Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Led Zeppelin - Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman), Ramble On, Moby Dick, Immigrant Song, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, D'yer Mak'er, Houses of the Holy, Trampled Under Foot

Pink Floyd - Money

The Cure isn't really classic rock, but - Close to Me, Friday I'm In Love

As for something more modern, I'd say just about anything from Death From Above 1979 or Dizzee Rascal.

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot, I've just woken up.[quote name='Scorch']No problem, you wouldn't be let in the door.[/QUOTE]Thank fucking Jebus. :lol:

Holy cow. All those suggestions and NOBODY mentioned Prince? You must have Prince (Let's Go Crazy and Erotic City to start with).
Also:
It Takes Two by Rob Base & Easy E
Push It by Salt 'n Pepa
White Horse by Laid Back
I Touch Roses by Book of Love
The Roof Is On Fire (the original version) by Rock Master Scott
People Are People by Depeche Mode
Rock Lobster by the B52s
Red Red Wine by UB40
She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby

Look for the "Strip Jointz" CDs (Amazon has them) - they have lots of great dance music including some of the ones I suggested above.

[quote name='Scorch']These are just 80s/90s songs, some are slow (you need slow dances too), some aren't.

*list*

Admit it.. you guys would kill for me to DJ a party that you were having.[/QUOTE]

fucking YEAH. I have most of those songs on my Rhapsody playlist.. but I could use a few more. :D Thanks for the list, Scorch.

[quote name='Scorch']Blade - This is an 80s and 90s party, not some heavy/death metal concert. Can you honestly recommend a song that's called "As Maggots Pour From Her Ass"?![/QUOTE]

Yes. How square would you have to be to have the police bang on your door because you were playing Huey Lewis too loud? :whistle2:|

[quote name='Blade']Yes. How square would you have to be to have the police bang on your door because you were playing Huey Lewis too loud? :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]
americanpsycho7872144rv.jpg

[quote name='Blade']Yes. How square would you have to be to have the police bang on your door because you were playing Huey Lewis too loud? :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

The only thing the police are going to do after banging on my door for playing Huey Lewis too loud is perform live versions of Roxanne and Every Breath You Take :cool:

I forgot two songs-

No Mercy - Where Do You Go
Republica - Ready To Go

[quote name='shieryda']Who the hell is this guy?![/QUOTE]Uwe Boll.[quote name='shieryda']And this guy?[/QUOTE]Christian Bale, in American Psycho.

^^american psycho, classic scene where he looks at himself in the mirror while banging some prostitutes. Shouldve used the flexing pose... hehe.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Van Halen--Panama
Marvin Gaye--Let's Get it On
Cult--Fire Woman[/QUOTE]

What kind of party has Let's get it on playing? apparently I'm going to the wrong parties..

so not to threadcrap:
Dream on - Aerosmith
Shot through the heart - Bon Jovi
Every Rose has it's thorn - Poison

no need to worry about threadcrapping, I'm looking at everything posted and probably including mostof it. Not sure how much of it will get played though.

[quote name='nakanenui']^^american psycho, classic scene where he looks at himself in the mirror while banging some prostitutes. Shouldve used the flexing pose... hehe.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll have to get it from Netflix. I don't remember that scene...

Scorch reminded me about updating the topic with how it went so here goes :) (sorry no pics :( a friend took them and is unwilling to hand them over, methinks he lost his camera or deleted the pics)

Started off with mainstream hip hop, just to get everyone moving while sober. After about an hour of that (now everybody is a little buzzed) I smoooooothly transitioned into the 80's.... and people went crazy. It was like everyone was on coke. Big hits were safety dance, sunglasses at night, rick james, and Huey Lewis.

After about 2 hours on 80's it moved to the classic rock (Hendirx, Queen, Lynyrd, some Ramones, and more). At this point everyone is drunk and knows the words to most of the songs I put on. EVERYBODY joined in and sang they best they could. The cops came by about this time since we could probably be heard blocks away singing Queen. But, they were cool and just told us not to be too loud too late. That was the highlight of the night for me.

After the classic rock everybody was reaaaal drunk. So I put on some more 80's and watched people try to dance, but fail miserably. People started to leave about 3-4 AM and all that remained was people I knew personally. So I threw in Guitar Hero and again hilarity ensued (some people actually play better drunk though which was surprising).

Other highlights:
Some girl Superman'd it down a flight of stairs. Don't know how the hell that happened. Then her boyfriend came over and said "YOU SEE THATS WHAT YOU GET YOU STUPID DRUNK BITCH". He then returned to the party area for another cold MGD.

People doing shots of Everclear (190 proof, 95% alcohol) and writhing in pain, running outside into the cold air to try and cool them down.

Drunk poker.

3 girls dancing on a table and breaking it.

A kid throwing a dollar about 1 foot at said girls and w(hile trying to recover his poorly thrown dollar in mid-air) hitting hi sbeer hand into his face thus soaking him.

Some kid getting WAAAAY too drunk taking off his shirt and running outside saying: I AM NEEEEEEEEEEEEO!!!! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEO!!! then falling on his face.

Drunk betting on K1 kickboxing fighters.

Most likely a lot of other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

[quote name='slimpip']Scorch reminded me about updating the topic with how it went so here goes :) (sorry no pics :( a friend took them and is unwilling to hand them over, methinks he lost his camera or deleted the pics)

Started off with mainstream hip hop, just to get everyone moving while sober. After about an hour of that (now everybody is a little buzzed) I smoooooothly transitioned into the 80's.... and people went crazy. It was like everyone was on coke. Big hits were safety dance, sunglasses at night, rick james, and Huey Lewis.

After about 2 hours on 80's it moved to the classic rock (Hendirx, Queen, Lynyrd, some Ramones, and more). At this point everyone is drunk and knows the words to most of the songs I put on. EVERYBODY joined in and sang they best they could. The cops came by about this time since we could probably be heard blocks away singing Queen. But, they were cool and just told us not to be too loud too late. That was the highlight of the night for me.

After the classic rock everybody was reaaaal drunk. So I put on some more 80's and watched people try to dance, but fail miserably. People started to leave about 3-4 AM and all that remained was people I knew personally. So I threw in Guitar Hero and again hilarity ensued (some people actually play better drunk though which was surprising).

Other highlights:
Some girl Superman'd it down a flight of stairs. Don't know how the hell that happened. Then her boyfriend came over and said "YOU SEE THATS WHAT YOU GET YOU STUPID DRUNK BITCH". He then returned to the party area for another cold MGD.

People doing shots of Everclear (190 proof, 95% alcohol) and writhing in pain, running outside into the cold air to try and cool them down.

Drunk poker.

3 girls dancing on a table and breaking it.

A kid throwing a dollar about 1 foot at said girls and w(hile trying to recover his poorly thrown dollar in mid-air) hitting hi sbeer hand into his face thus soaking him.

Some kid getting WAAAAY too drunk taking off his shirt and running outside saying: I AM NEEEEEEEEEEEEO!!!! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEO!!! then falling on his face.

Drunk betting on K1 kickboxing fighters.

Most likely a lot of other stuff I can't remember at the moment.[/quote]

Did anyone end up crying? I love it when drunk girls cry at parties. Or when they wet themselves.

[quote name='shieryda']Did anyone end up crying? I love it when drunk girls cry at parties. Or when they wet themselves.[/QUOTE]

YES! Actually about 4 girls ended up crying. One of them was one of the girls on the table, she had a boyfriend and he yelled at her for doing "scandalous shit". He was all upset because she was rubbing on all the other girls... you think he'd be happy. Needless to say we all made fun of him til he left. His girl cried because he yelled and because we made him leave.

The Superman girl cried after her boyfriend yelled at her. My close friend's girlfriend cried because she's a mean drunk.

I don't htink any single girls cried though....

bread's done
Back