Password protecting folders

infamyRISE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I've never really had a need for this until now, so I'm a little clueless.

I simply need to password protect some of my folders!

A quick google search reveals a laundry list of programs that do it for you (all at the low price of 39.95!), which makes me believe the function isn't build into Windows? Seriously? This should be a basic feature!

Anyways, can someone point me in the right direction to the secret way to do this, or a freeware program that can do the same?

Of course it's built into Windows. You just need to learn a bit about network security.

You'll have to be more specific before any real advice can be given. Are you just trying to keep things from other users of the same computer or across the network?

1. Select the folder you wish to encrypt.
  2. Right-click the folder and click Properties.
  3. Click the Sharing tab.
  4. Check the box Make this folder private
  5. Click Apply and then Ok.

dsCrypt will do it. Tiny program that doesn't require installation. You run it, drop a file/folder into it, type in the password twice, and it's done. To unencrypt, you run the program again, put it in decrypt mode, drop the file in, and type in the password. Easy.

You can run it from a USB drive without any problems, so technically you could run this anywhere in seconds.

It's also 100% free and only a few KB. Tiny, fast, efficient, and free. Magical.

[quote name='epobirs']Of course it's built into Windows. You just need to learn a bit about network security.

You'll have to be more specific before any real advice can be given. Are you just trying to keep things from other users of the same computer or across the network?[/QUOTE]

Same computer. Nothing is shared on my network, anyways.

Edit: Ill check into that program Strell posted. Thanks, guys.

bread's done
Back