Pat Robertson: Haitians made pact with the devil

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Last night, as I was updating my Facebook status, I briefly considered a post wondering how long it would take before Pat Robertson made some monstrous insinuation about the earthquake in Haiti being God's will. I remember thinking, No, even Pat Robertson wouldn't exploit a tragedy of this magnitude--a tragedy that, as of this writing, has claimed over 100,000 lives.

Even Pat Robertson would have seen the pictures of the broken and mangled bodies of children, their limbs bloodied, crushed by fallen concrete. Even Pat Robertson, T-1000 Pharisee though he might be, would have a vulgarity threshold he wouldn't cross. Surely a natural disaster in one of the poorest countries on earth would be beyond the pale, even for him, especially given Christ's edicts relating to the blessedness of the poor.

As it happens, I should have taken bets on "when" instead.

On the 700 Club today, Robertson did what he does best: he perverted a tragedy to suit his religious agenda. In his best creepy Evangelical wizard voice, he intoned that the people of Haiti had brought this catastrophe on themselves by compacting with the Devil.

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about. They were under the heel of the French, you know Napoleon the Third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the Prince.' True story. And so the Devil said, 'OK it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another."

Read the rest here, if you like: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-rowe/the-never-ending-horror-o_b_422615.html

He's getting predictable.

[quote name='JolietJake']I can't believe anyone would watch the 700 club when the price is right is on at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

:rofl: Ya know, the sad part is that its not JUST him. There are TONS of nutty christians like that! I remember reading stuff before how Katrina and 9/11 happened because we have too much tolerance of homosexuality in this country and God was. PISSED.

[quote name='docvinh']Even if you believe in God or are a Christian, I really can't see how anyone could support this idiot.[/QUOTE]
I don't. His statement was outrageous.
Although, to be fair, his organization has done a lot of work for Haiti in the past, and have already sent over a million dollars worth of supplies to help.

So, his comments are way off. The overwhelming majority of Christian's do not believe that God is punishing people with natural disasters.

The "Napoleon III or whatever" thing is just mind boggling.

Robertson is an evil hateful dumbshit like the freaks from Westoboro Baptist with PR lackies.

Pat Robertson is a moron, and does not speak for christians anymore then Perez Hilton speaks for all gays. It's not surprising the "open minded" anti christian bigots who fill this board wouldn't be able to figure out something like that.

[quote name='Msut77']The "Napoleon III or whatever" thing is just mind boggling.

Robertson is an evil hateful dumbshit like the freaks from Westoboro Baptist with PR lackies.[/QUOTE]
Actually, like I said, his actions are not deplorable. He sent relief, and has been working in Haiti for a long time, since there was a need in Haiti long before this earthquake.
He also prayed for the Haitians relief and urged others to do so as well.

It's really just his theological view that God punishes entire nations through natural disasters that is out of his mind crazy.
But it's not really accurate to call him evil and hateful, especially to lump him in with the WBC camp.

pat robertson is a crazy mofo

but the vast majority of christians dont listen to him or follow him and think hes batshit crazy.

[quote name='deathscythehe']Pat Robertson is a moron, and does not speak for christians anymore then Perez Hilton speaks for all gays. It's not surprising the "open minded" anti christian bigots who fill this board wouldn't be able to figure out something like that.[/QUOTE]

It was only a matter of time before your type showed up. Before you go on a mini-rant, note that there isn't any "anti-Christian" speech in here. Nobody is saying he speaks for all Christians or even most, but he does speak for a percentage and this is their perspective.

How one can say

It's really just his theological view that God punishes entire nations through natural disasters that is out of his mind crazy.

followed by

But it's not really accurate to call him evil and hateful, especially to lump him in with the WBC camp.

is mind-numbing to me. Pat Robertson is #1 when it comes to hate-filled dialogue. He blamed 9/11 on America's acceptance of homosexuals (a joke in itself, because we don't).

[quote name='myl0r']I don't. His statement was outrageous.
Although, to be fair, his organization has done a lot of work for Haiti in the past, and have already sent over a million dollars worth of supplies to help.

So, his comments are way off. The overwhelming majority of Christian's do not believe that God is punishing people with natural disasters.[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't lump in all Christians together, but I would say a sizable majority of Christians do listen to and follow him. Just because he gives a lot of money doesn't exempt him from being a hateful person, he didn't have to say anything at all about it, but he chose to say what he did.

[quote name='rabbitt']It was only a matter of time before your type showed up. Before you go on a mini-rant, note that there isn't any "anti-Christian" speech in here. Nobody is saying he speaks for all Christians or even most, but he does speak for a percentage and this is their perspective.

How one can say

followed by

is mind-numbing to me. Pat Robertson is #1 when it comes to hate-filled dialogue. He blamed 9/11 on America's acceptance of homosexuals (a joke in itself, because we don't).[/QUOTE]
How did he ever say anything hateful about Haiti? He simply expressed his theological rationale for why it happened. He thinks God is punishing them for their alleged pact with Satan. To me, hateful speech would be saying they deserved everything they got and we should not help them because they are evil people.
Again, I do not agree with Robertson's view, but he is simply stating what he sees.

[quote name='docvinh']I definitely don't lump in all Christians together, but I would say a sizable majority of Christians do listen to and follow him. Just because he gives a lot of money doesn't exempt him from being a hateful person, he didn't have to say anything at all about it, but he chose to say what he did.[/QUOTE]
Again, see above. Robertson's theological view is off. I agree. But I would not call him evil. He has done many great things. I honestly wish the guy would give it up. He's gonna be 80 this year, he's losing it. This is another example of him losing it.

There's oddly a nugget of truth behind his rationale. If, you believe (which I don't) that Voodoo is the worship of the Abrahamic Devil/Adversary. One of the catalysts for the Slave revolt in 1791 was a Voodoo ceremony.
[quote name='http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/revolution/revolution1.htm']
For several years the slaves had been deserting their plantations with increasing frequency. The numbers of maroons had swollen dramatically and all that was needed was some spark to ignite the pent up frustration, hatred and impulse toward independence.
This event was a Petwo Voodoo service. On the evening of August 14th Dutty Boukman, a houngan and practitioner of the Petwo Voodoo cult, held a service at Bois Caiman. A woman at the service was possessed by Ogoun, the Voodoo warrior spirit. She sacrificed a black pig, and speaking the voice of the spirit, named those who were to lead the slaves and maroons to revolt and seek a stark justice from their white oppressors.[/Quote]

Robertson is still wrong/evil/hateful, denigrating an entire nation and people because he believes their religion to be wrong, I just wanted to add the historical context.

I'm confused, I thought the Americans were supposed to hate the French. So why is Robertson saying rejecting the French is like a contract with the devil?

[quote name='myl0r']How did he ever say anything hateful about Haiti? He simply expressed his theological rationale for why it happened. He thinks God is punishing them for their alleged pact with Satan. To me, hateful speech would be saying they deserved everything they got and we should not help them because they are evil people.
Again, I do not agree with Robertson's view, but he is simply stating what he sees.
[/QUOTE]

When you take Robertson's rationale for what it's based on, a fairytale, the implication is clear:
that the Haitians did it to themselves. That it is theological does not make it acceptable and does not protect it from criticism.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm confused, I thought the Americans were supposed to hate the French. So why is Robertson saying rejecting the French is like a contract with the devil?[/QUOTE]

Because the idea that a group of slaves could over throw an imperialist and very white army is so far fetched to their thinking that magic must be involved.

The funniest thing is that the assclown has no idea what he is talking about, not even the vaguest historical outline confusing for example confusing Napoleon with Napoleon III.

Also:
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001130018

You think the rightards would give it a rest for five minutes.

[quote name='rabbitt']When you take Robertson's rationale for what it's based on, a fairytale, the implication is clear:
that the Haitians did it to themselves. That it is theological does not make it acceptable and does not protect it from criticism.[/QUOTE]
I'm not shielding him from criticism. He should be criticized for what he said. I am simply sick of seeing lots of people(not just on here) ignoring all the good things Robertson is doing for Haiti right now. It's about the whole picture. Disagree with what he said all day and night, I'll be there with you. But I still do not agree with calling him hateful and evil. In spite of his wrong view of this, he is still doing good.

As for the "fairytale" comment, that's another argument, so let's leave it at that.

[quote name='Msut77']Because the idea that a group of slaves could over throw an imperialist and very white army is so far fetched to their thinking that magic must be involved.

The funniest thing is that the assclown has no idea what he is talking about, not even the vaguest historical outline confusing for example confusing Napoleon with Napoleon III.

Also:
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001130018

You think the rightards would give it a rest for five minutes.[/QUOTE]
Well that last part is easy. Rush is an idiot of epic proportions(literally, does this guy get fatter everytime I see him?)

This guy is such a disgusting human being. At least he'll have the chance to ask the devil in person about this pact, hopefully sooner rather than later. In case anyone cares, he's a very well written article by a Haitian pastor that thoroughly disproves Pat the Rat's claims: http://www.blackandchristian.com/articles/academy/gelin-10-05.shtml

On a far more relevant note, prayers go out to the Haitians as they manage this terrible tragedy. I've seen estimates of 100k people dead. Heartbreaking.

[quote name='myl0r']Actually, like I said, his actions are not deplorable. He sent relief, and has been working in Haiti for a long time, since there was a need in Haiti long before this earthquake.
He also prayed for the Haitians relief and urged others to do so as well.

But it's not really accurate to call him evil and hateful, especially to lump him in with the WBC camp.[/QUOTE]

His actions are deplorable. Everything he does is under the guise of getting more publicity, more exposure for his company, and to further give it to the third world missionary style. Haven't we finally become smart enough as a planet to see how badly missionaries ruined what today is called the third world?

Not to go too far off the social commentary deep end, but the notion of a white Christ was used to indoctrinate slaves to not rise up against the missionaries and European ruling powers in their lands. Of course the truth is that Jesus was probably closer to the complexion of Haitians, than to French/Spaniards.

To repeat. He is a pathetic, self-serving, hateful, sadly misinformed man.

Shame.

Pat Robertson is really strong. If he didn't hate Haitians so much he could be in Haiti right now just leg pressing buildings off of trapped victims left and right.

[quote name='SpeedyG']Not that I agree with Olbermann all the time, but I feel he pretty much summed up my feeling for these two individuals fairly well.

[/QUOTE]

...whoa. Jaw drops. :applause:

I despise Olbermann, but he's spot on with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irrespective of discussing who he does and does not speak for, this is a man with considerable wealth and influence who had a seat at the political table in DC from 2001-2008. He has power and he has access.

Whether or not he speaks for you or your aunt or uncle, all of whom are devoted Christians, is not the point - it's an unneeded divisive rhetorical mechanism to turn the debate into that. One that derives from the hate speech that comes from this man's mouth.

I'd rather the Red Cross have my donation than this man, simple as that. Giving him money is not going to help me in the afterworld. It's just going to help acquire more diamond mines for him.

Also, Olbermann hits on something else that's more important than Robertson's quote, which is an easy target.

It's the white supremacist framing that comes from Rush Limbaugh's mouth.

This will play right into Obama's hands. He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, "credibility" with the black community--in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made-to-order for them. That's why he couldn't wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there.

With all the talk about Reid's comment this week (which, while the use of the word 'negro' is strange and draconian, nobody has been able to articulate how his comment is substantively racist), for a major political personality to place an entire class of American citizens as oppositional to his worldview is appalling. No apology necessary, as this shows to me just how radical the right is getting - where you can't separate the arguments coming from the right wing from white supremacist ideology.

[quote name='speedracer']When you can't honestly tell whether a quote is from David Dukes or not, you've got a problem.[/QUOTE]
Or Fred Phelps...

People go off the deep end at some point. Some people go deeper than others.

Now is not the time to criticize our fellow man in need, but rather a time to help them.

Is there a video of him saying this anywhere?

I've been thinking about it and I have a few questions - 1 - will the devil sign a pact with anybody? I mean, what did the devil really get out of this deal? And 2 - Are these devil pacts tied to the land or something? I imagine the logic is that bad things are happening because god is punishing the people of haiti for making that pact, but all of those people are surely dead, so does it keep going through descendants, is it tied to the land, or what?

I can't answer that directly but on the radio today some Haitians were talking about some who practice voodoo. I don't know if that was just their interpretation of Pat Robertson's words or if he was somehow alluding to voodoo.

[quote name='rabbitt']I can't answer that directly but on the radio today some Haitians were talking about some who practice voodoo. I don't know if that was just their interpretation of Pat Robertson's words or if he was somehow alluding to voodoo.[/QUOTE]

Well the country is apparently almost 100% Christian, but voodoo is reasonably common because it's a blend of old traditional African religions and Christianity. But then again, they're mostly Catholic anyway, which is as good as satan-worship to Pat Robertson even without the voodoo.

But the CIA factbook says about half practice some voodoo, so what about the other half? Not to mention that voodoo is also practiced to some extent in the Dominican Republic.

I'm just bored...I know there's no logical answer to this since there's no logic in the first place.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Shame.

Pat Robertson is really strong. If he didn't hate Haitians so much he could be in Haiti right now just leg pressing buildings off of trapped victims left and right.[/QUOTE]

And giving out Pat Robertson healthy milkshakes to nourish them.

What an asshole. True story eh? Early 19th century, Napolen the 3rd? Napoleon the 3rd was made king in 1848! (Mid 19th century)

I say we kick this guys ass and then make up a reason for it (His daddy/granddaddy/etc made a deal with the devil)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. I thought the Quebecois had good insults (Je me christ du toi!), but, uh... wow. He really taught me some lines, there.

"I would wish you to hell, but knowing how empty your souls must be... I suspect the vacant, purposeless you both live now are hell enough already."

I dunno guys. I think ole Patty is onto something here. Haiti sounds an awful lot like hate, and isn't that what the Devil Inkarnate manufacturers down there? I believe he sloughs unrefined odium directly into the red hot furnaces, and little tartes du haine come rolling out on little conveyor belts. They then go directly into a blast chiller before be loaded onto the truck. The irony is not lost on the Supreme Serpent, who calls it his "dirty little secret, and also the key to great freshness."

I seen it on that Unwrapped show.

And now really, could any show where Marc Summers is the host be wrong? I think not.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
He tells good stories.

On one hand, Pat is a douche and a terrible person. On the other hand, his charitable organization has been doing work in Haiti for years where as three days ago, most Americans probably couldn't point at the general location of Haiti on a world map.

On one hand, Hamas is a terrorist organization. On the other hand, about 80 to 90 percent of their funds go to things like education and social welfare.

[quote name='rabbitt']On one hand, Hamas is a terrorist organization. On the other hand, about 80 to 90 percent of their funds go to things like education and social welfare.[/QUOTE]

I can recognize the good that they do and the bad that they do.

And while Pat Robertson's words may feel like a missile launched into a crowd of innocent people, they don't kill anyone in that crowd. Sticks and stones and all that jazz. He's still a douche though.

bread's done
Back