PAX Prime 2014 Thread: zenprime's Fried Rice is the New Pwnmeal

Here's a tentative list of stuff I'm checking out. (bold = super essential)

Friday

2:30 - HIronobu Sakaguchi panel

Saturday

10:30 - Campo Santo panel

5:30 - VGM Maestros

7:00 - Omegathon: JS Joust

7:30 - Chainsawsuit Live

8:00 - VGM Trivia

9:00 - Retrogame Roadshow

Sunday

11:30 - Idle Thumbs live

3:00 - Tetris panel w/ Alexey Pajitnov(!!)

4:30 - Keiji Inafune panel (again?)

Monday

11:00 - Saturn Bomberman tournament (maybe this is the year I see this)

12:30 - Chiptunes in modern games (Jake Kaufman, Jimmy Hinson, et al)

5:30 - Omegathon Finals

Anyone notice any hidden gems in the schedule?

Nice where are you staying for South?
No idea, probably won't know for a while.

lol I was about to hit some of u guys up like

"yooo Kasahara / BitPoPo / metaly I'ma be in yo hood let's get ramen!"

til I realized I'm goin up the weekend of PAX =P

hope u guys have fun!!! I wanna go to the Idle Thumbs panel :cry:
You listen to Idle Thumbs????????????????????????? It's like my favorite thing and nobody I know listens.

Sorry we'll miss you! I feel like I haven't had ramen in years.

I'll put together my full-ish list when Guidebook goes up, but I just noticed a panel on episodic gaming that I think I need to see:

Ryan Payton [Designer, Camouflaj], Matt Gilgenbach [Founder, Infinitap Games], Kendall Davis [The Wolf Among Us], Kevin Bruner [The Walking Dead], Swery [D4]

now that I (hopefully) have a Saturday badge locked up I'm so hyped for the Giant Bomb panel again. The amount of stuff they gave away last year (literally threw tons of shit into the crowd) was simply absurd.

I'm loving the schedule so far. I can already see that there will be multiple instances where I will have to choose between two or more different panels. I'm going to have to cross-check with the convention center map before making any hard decisions. You've got to plan out walking time, as well as line-standing time. Thankfully, a lot of these panels don't require that you be in the front row to appreciate them. But if there is a panel that you REALLY want to get into, it's a good idea t arrive twenty minutes early to insure that you have a decent place in line. If you try to show when the doors open, there's a good chance that you won't get in at all, especially for the really popular ones.

I learned to always show up early for the Omegathons. They are extremely popular, and are always packed out. I will be at the Towerfall: Ascension Omegathon for certain.

So Benaroya is now the Main Theater, and the Paramount theater is just used for signings and swag bags. Looks like Benaroya holds less people than the Paramount, too :/

You listen to Idle Thumbs????????????????????????? It's like my favorite thing and nobody I know listens.

Sorry we'll miss you! I feel like I haven't had ramen in years.
man fukk ramen, Kelo is here.

Kelo. Is. Here.

we're good, we worked it out so let's go to the donut shop, which has wieners.

we can cook them on an open flame.

Okay, here's my tentative schedule interest list. The more asterisks = the greater interest I have.

Fri.
- Troll Combat 101 (Wyvern, 2-3)
- Sakaguchi (Hedgehog, 2.30-3.30)***
- Industry 8-Ball (Sandworm, 4-5)**
- Sakaguchi autographs (Paramount, 4.30-6.30)**
- History of VR (Wyvern, 5-6)**
- Game Show Night (Hedgehog, 7-10)***

Sat.
- Halo (Main, 11-12)
- TwitchPlayedPokemon (Wyvern, 12.30-1.30)
- Top Women Game Characters (Sandworm, 1-2)***
- Developers & Backers (Sandworm, 4-5)*
- Maestros of Videogames (Sphinx, 5.30-6.30)**
- World Design (Wyvern, 6.30-7.30)*
- Giant Bomb (Sasquach, 8-10)***

Sun.
- Traditional Games Journalism (Sphinx, 10-11)
- Geek Shop Keep (Sandworm, 10.30-11.30)
- Video Games Are Stupid (Sasquach 11-12)**
- Bridge to Japan (Wyvern, 2-3)**
- Tetris (Hedgehog, 3-4)***
- Procedural Generation (Wyvern, 5-6)**
- We've Survived the Internet (Sphinx, 7-8)*
- 404ing It (Hedgehog, 7.30-8.30)*
- Falling-Block Games (Wyvern, 8-9)***

Mon.
- Video Game Memories (Sasquach, 12.30-1.30)**
- Guilty Pleasure Games (Sandworm, 1.30-2.30)
- Secret Sauce (Hedgehog, 3-4)
- Omegathon Final Round (Main, 5.30-6.30)***

Last edited by a moderator:
So Benaroya is now the Main Theater, and the Paramount theater is just used for signings and swag bags. Looks like Benaroya holds less people than the Paramount, too :/
grosssssssss Benaroya is practically in another zipcode. Luckily I don't seem to have anything to see there except for the Omegathon finals.

Fri.
- Troll Combat 101 (Wyvern, 2-3)
- Sakaguchi (Hedgehog, 2.30-3.30)***
- Industry 8-Ball (Sandworm, 4-5)**
- Sakaguchi autographs (Paramount, 4.30-6.30)**
- History of VR (Wyvern, 5-6)**
- Game Show Night (Hedgehog, 7-10)***
Dat Sakaguchi signing... I wonder what I would even bring to sign. :drool:

man fukk ramen, Kelo is here.

Kelo. Is. Here.

we're good, we worked it out so let's go to the donut shop, which has wieners.

we can cook them on an open flame.
oh my god

Giant Bomb panel is a must-go. Line up EARLY, its worth it. Also IGN game scoop on Friday should be a lot of fun.

15 days left cags! Too hyped right now.

Changes since last year, from the PAX forum:

- Red Lion Hotel now called the Motif Hotel (incorrectly labeled on back of badge)

- Motif Hotel replaces the tabletop activities from Olive 8

- Paramount Theatre (9th/Pine) being used for Autograph Sessions, Pin Trading, a place to view the streams, and dedicated Swag Bag Pickup (10a-6p Daily)

- Benaroya Hall (3rd/Union) being used for Main Theatre

- Diversity Lounge added (WSCC - 6th Floor Lobby)

- Take This AFK Room added (WSCC - 3rd Floor, underneath the Subwayeatfresh)

- Riot is now taking the Queue Room in the WSCC (4th Floor, 4A) for their NA Regionals starting at Noon each day.

- Harmonix Dance Central Stage replacing the Rock Band stage (WSCC - 2nd floor, International Meeting Place, across from Juicy Cafe)

- Line Entertainment Enforcers are no longer the keepers of the Pinny Arcade "Logo Pins." They instead will have their own lanyards for trading. Logo Pins can be found on Staff and otherwise.

- Hironobu Sakaguchi's Panel has been moved to [5:00pm-6:00pm] at the Benaroya (incorrect on printed guide)

- HIronobu Sakaguchi's Autograph Session has been moved to [6:30pm-8:30pm] at the Paramount (incorrect on printed guide)
Glad they're moving Sakaguchi to the main theater, should make it a lot easier to get in.

I keep having dreams that I'm missing (or about to miss) the Sakaguchi panel. Hope they aren't omens  :???: 

Glad for the change to the Benaroya, but having to hike from there to the Paramount's gonna be no fun. Also have mixed feelings about the Dance Central thing, but if it means less people playing Evanescence songs, I guess that's okay...

Where is Hedgehog supposed to be, anyway? Seems kind of silly to change so many conference room names.

Where is Hedgehog supposed to be, anyway? Seems kind of silly to change so many conference room names.
Oops, I meant to post that too. They've been renamed to match the building they're in. S theaters are in the Sheraton, H is the Hyatt, etc:

Sasquatch Theatre = Sheraton, Level 2

Sphinx Theatre = Sheraton, Level 3

Hedgehog Theatre = Grand Hyatt, Level 1

Sandworm Theatre = Sheraton, Level 2

Wyvern Theatre = Washington State Convention Center Level 6

Wombat Theatre = Washington State Convention Center Level 3

REMINDER: If you're planning on coming to the meetup, let me know by posting in this thread! Don't think we'll have more people than in past years, but it will help me to get a rough head-count.

So anyone going to any parties? Zenprime Im looking at you! How are they handling Swag giveouts at the Paramount? I'm free for lunch on sat sun and dinner both those days.

Have fun everybody at PAX. Pour one out for me. Only missed two Pax primes ever. I decided to take the family to Bumbershoot this year.

Bummer they changed the Rock Band stage. Chilling in that lounge was the most fun at pax outside of the handheld lounge.

Oh god it's this week already. My schedule:

Friday

5:00 PM Hironobu Sakaguchi Reflection: Past, Present, Future of RPGs***

6:30 PM Autograph Session: Hironobu Sakaguchi**

7:00 PM Omegathon Round 2: Towerfall**

8:30 PM Friday Night Concerts!***

10:00 PM Consenting Adults: Sex in Video Games*

Saturday
4:30 PM Grim Fandango: Bringing the Dead Back to Life*
5:30 PM Awesome Video Game Data*
7:00 PM Omegathon Round 4: J.S. Joust**
8:00 PM Live D&D with Acquisitions Inc. - Five Heads are Better than None****
8:30 PM The Improv Initiative: The Re-Improvining**

Sunday
10:00 AM The Game Industry Rumble! Live on the N64!*
12:00 PM So our game is called Destiny. Now what?***************
1:00 PM Penny Arcade - Make a Strip!*
2:00 PM Bridge to Japan: The Process of Localizing Japanese Media**
3:00 PM Tetris: The Video Game That Changed The World*
4:00 PM Episodic Games: Divine Dream or Neverending Nightmare?*** (aka probably my only chance to ever see SWERY)
4:30 PM A Mighty Chat with Keiji Inafune***
7:30 PM 404ing It: Breaking (Down) the Internet***
7:30 PM Pinny Arcade Pin Trade****
8:30 PM Sunday Night Concerts!***

Monday
12:30 PM Oldschool Chiptune Music in Modern Games*
2:30 PM Beyond the Stars: How Games Are Keeping Space Fiction Alive**
5:30 PM Omegathon Final Round***

*Will go if bored / need a place to sit down
**Maybe
***Definitely
****Ugh, I have to go because Pins

My Gods you guys have long lists....Did we decide on a group chat app yet?

Here's mine

*Probably will go 

Friday:

-Quiz Show Hour with Volition - Project Reveal & Prizes : [SANDWORM THEATRE] AGES 13+ 10:00am - 11:00am

-Games Journalism Hunger Games MMXIV : [SASQUATCH THEATRE] 12:30pm - 1:30pm (lunch might kill this idea)
-Hironobu Sakaguchi Reflection: Past, Present, Future of RPGs : [MAIN THEATRE] 5:00pm - 6:00pm *(Looks interesting and a lot of you guys want to go)
-Cards Against Humanity : [SASQUATCH THEATRE] AGES 13+ 8:00pm - 9:30pm

Sat:
-The Angry Video Game Nerd Panel : [SASQUATCH THEATRE] AGES 13+ 3:30pm - 4:30pm
-Grim Fandango: Bringing the Dead Back to Life : [MAIN THEATRE] 4:30pm - 5:30pm*
-Retrogame Roadshow: What Are Your Old Games Worth? : [HEDGEHOG THEATRE] 9:00pm - 10:00pm *Must go for me

Sun
-Inside Gearbox Software : [MAIN THEATRE] 10:30am - 11:30am *Free stuff!!!!
-Tetris: The Video Game That Changed The World : [HEDGEHOG THEATRE] AGES 13+ 3:00pm - 4:00pm *
-Collecting Games - WITHOUT Going Broke or Getting Scammed! : [HEDGEHOG THEATRE] 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Have you guys put together a list of what you want to see in the list of games? Anyone interested in the PAX 10? What's with Bioware's booth at the Grand Hyatt?

I really want to play Hotline Miami 2, Im sure tons of people will be flocking to 2K Games booth to play Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

Have you guys put together a list of what you want to see in the list of games? Anyone interested in the PAX 10? What's with Bioware's booth at the Grand Hyatt?
For the last couple years Bioware has had their own little room where they do small signings, panels, cosplay and the like.

HAY GUYS WE'RE IN SEATTLE.

Note to people who would normally get in touch with me by phone during PAX (which was just Jekki, I think, and he's not coming this year, but still :razz:): I foolishly forgot it as we were leaving for the airport, so call bitprophet instead. You can also reach either one of us via Twitter.

Oh, and I updated the OP with much of creid's info.

Sooooo, I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this, but I was wondering if anyone that will be at PAX might be able to help me obtain a specific piece of swag. As mentioned in this Joystiq article, Square Enix will have some exclusive FF Type-0 CollectaCards for Theatrhythm at their booth.

Would a fellow CAG who is attending PAX help me score a set of these? They will be for my own personal use and not re-sold or anything like that. I will happily pay shipping and add a tip for your efforts. PM me if you care to help me out. Thanks.

So I'll be getting in late tonight and I'll be at the show early tomorrow, text or dm on twitter if you want to hang out in line

Enjoy everything this weekend cags!!! IGN has posted a list of games that will be at the show if you wanted to see beforehand what you can play.

I know I'm stuck on if I wanna go to Blizzard first or try and see Evolve. 

Halo Panel this morning was awesome! They showed off the new audio for the Master Chief collection and god damn is that collection going to sound GOOD.

Okay, since I can't check this thread later today, I'm closing meetup signups as of RIGHT NOW. DemonsMaster, I'll hold you a spot just in case ;)

We also have a couple of CAG Ultra Noobs who signed up (who evidently can't post yet but can send PMs, WTF), which is somewhat strange, but whatevs.

Don't forget that we will be meeting outside of the Rock Bottom Brewery before/until 7PM, though depending on how the Omegathon goes, we might go inside sooner. Most people coming know what I look like, and will probably join me and bitprophet at the Omegathon finals, but for those who don't, look for the bright yellow Pikachu tote bag. If you have any questions, you'll have to tweet at me or bitprophet.

Have a good last day of PAX, everyone! And go check out Nova-111 at the Indie Megabooth or PAX 10-- it's quite good :)

Lots of fun at PAX again thanks for saving seats for me for panels etc. I'll see a few of you guys at South in Jan. Maybe I'll start the thread

Yeah I would've came to the meetup just had to get home as soon as the omegathon was done! What a great PAX this year. And the countdown to PAX 2015 begins.... Now!

Also I still have no clue what firewatch is. Something about the late 80s and a boombox.

Another great PAX is over! Lots of good times this year  :grouphug:

Might post some pics, thoughts, etc. later, but for right now, I'm exhausted.

Oh, and when I do this thread again next year, someone please remind me to include a note in the OP (for the Ultra Noobs) that says that the meetup isn't free.

Another great PAX is over! Lots of good times this year :grouphug:

Might post some pics, thoughts, etc. later, but for right now, I'm exhausted.

Oh, and when I do this thread again next year, someone please remind me to include a note in the OP (for the Ultra Noobs) that says that the meetup isn't free.
From what my friends told me, it was a pretty good PAX. I'll be there next year with our little one in tow. :)

bread's done
Back