paypal allowed someone to get away with a rewrapped game

aaronx77

CAG Veteran
Hi my name is aaron and here is my situation.

About 1 1/2 months ago I bought a brand new final fantasy game from an ebay seller for $180 got it a few days later and thought this was an awsome deal. Flash forward a couple weeks I was looking on here and noticed a link in someones reply about rewrapped games so I checked it out and when I read it about the seam it got me thinking and it looked fishy with the game I bought so I decided to open it up and what do you know it only had the game cartridge and paper to make it look full like a normal brand new game so I called this guy out on it and basically told me to f-off and complain to ebay and paypal so I did.

I pleaded my case with both ebay and paypal and they told me you know this is wrong and this is fraud and you should be able to get your money back. Well today they came with the judgemeant in the sellers favor because I opened the game and mind you the seller did put this is sold with no refunds so even if I didnt open it he wouldve been like f-off anyways and they stated this ruined the true value of the game.

Now the question I pose to all of you is this. Is this right for people to get away with this crap, should this guy be thrown in prison for fraud even though I indeed open this game and finally this proves to me once in for all that you can put a piece of turd in an original box, seal it like a brand new game and then sell it to some unexpecting person and if they open it which is the only way to prove truelly that this is fake that they can get away with it everytime since as stated PAYPAL ALLOWS SELLERS TO GET AWAY WITH FRAUD.

So please state your posts and concerns because this is total BS and im sure this happends way to much thank you for all your time and have a wonderful day

So you spent $180 for a sealed game only to open it up because you thought it might be re-shrink wrapped? Keep in mind, Paypal has a 45 days window as well, and a month and a half is past that.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Can you post the ebay link so we can all avoid this theif?

I've had bad experience with paypals "item not as described" bull shit. The last time i filed INAD paypal wanted me to fax them a note from a "professional gamer" or some shit, that the game was so scratched up it didn't work.

[quote name='magiic']If you hadn't of opened it you would of won the dispute no problems and gotten your money back[/quote]

yea, but he wouldn't have known the problem if he didn't open it...

ya thanks for the info paypal told me about that about opening up and seeing about it but then again how can you make 100% sure it is infact a reseal but here is the ebay users id shibby22one and the item #300128991023 look that up and you decide.

This guy is a scammer, look at his past auctions, he is placing them BIN at .01 and then charging several hundred dollars in shipping fees for final fantasy games. I wouldn't trust anyone who did that, especially to this extreme. He is probably trying to sell a bunch of resealed games that no one will ever open to find out about it.

I'd take it to Judge Judy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDK6ctRjqw[/media]

In all seriousness... Call the cops, this guy needs to be reported.

how sure are you that it was resealed?? from the one picture that is shown in the auction, you can see the beginning of the horizontal seam that goes along the back of the game. that usually indicates an original factory seal.

There were obvious clear warning signs that it was resealed. The first warning signs are the "As is" and the bolded pink and all caps "NO REFUND!". He doesn't state either of them in his other auctions. Also the wear marks, you can clearly see that the flap near the top of the game is creased (white marks). If it was not creased, then how did the white marks appear? The seal looks spankin new while the case looks like it's been used, a bit of inconsistency there. If you take a look at his other recent new games sell, they seem to be legit. Such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300125308164 which is another SNES game that's suppose to be brand new. That one doesn't have any signs of wear with the case at all.

Uhh.... $175 for shipping?? nah... that doesn't give it away. The shrink wrap though... that's another story.
dopey3xj.gif

[quote name='trunks982']he already gave him positive.[/quote]

op, be sure to "reply" to your positive feedback stating it was a re-sealed game. hopefully you can warn people before they buy something from this crook in the future.

i would report this guy straight to the FBI. he will get in big trouble for doing this. try not to throw anything away including the contents you found inside the case. they are evidence :)

theres a known guy that went to jail for doing this (resealling) on ebay and he wrote a pretty good guide on how to tell if its a resealed NES game.

edit: if this guy is resealing the games, i would also go ahead and message the people he sold the games to (look into his fb). make them aware of your situation. the sealed FF nes game he sold looks fishy as well. i bet you he has a separate account and buys them on ebay used and in good condition then reseals them.

The fact that the seller is the type of person who boosts shipping to cut fees, especially to $175, is the type of seller that I would want to avoid.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the shipping. Though it doesn't indicate that the seller is scamming, he is, like Link said, cutting fees drastically. This can and SHOULD be reported to eBay, as they will put him in their system at the very least.

well again thanks for the info but I already left positive before all this once I got it because it looked legit from there. It was after I read the guide phear3D mentioned that it became clear because of the perfect 90 degree angle on the side of package and condition of the box itself.

I just bought a couple of games from you Aaron...maybe I should check those seals...

I noticed the guy never says the games are factory sealed, he only says they are sealed. From some of the stuff I have read that is typical of those committing fraud on these types of items. I think they (the sellers) feel like it gives them some sort of out if they are caught even though they still list them as new.

Did you pay through Paypal with a credit card? If so, you could always contest the charge.

Make a case to Paypal that by opening it you did not decrease the value since it is a reseal, although it might be tough to prove it is resealed to non-collectors.

hey aaron. another step to take is to contact his local law enforcement and let them be aware of your situation. they usually act fast. but if not I would tell my story to maybe a local news paper. I know it could be a little too much, but if this happens to me I wouldn't wanna let it happen to anyone else. I was listening to the latest cagcast and cheapy mentioned something about free lawyers. it could be useful. get your money back and get him in jail.

Wow,

interesting as to where this will go. I would re approach paypal for sure. Add a comment to his user ID.

Also it appears he has no current or recent closed listings... even though other cag are talking about seeing them... maybe he has pulled his listings now?

[quote name='creeeaature']Let's burn his ass! (by the way I think you're silly to ever pay $180 for ANY game)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8930439[/quote]

If that's really him, I'd like to know how ANY 20 year old managed to get a sealed, new copy of Final Fantasy to begin with.

The last time I saw this was when Sam's Club was blowing out their NES inventory in the early 90s.

Good luck to the OP.

I am reporting him for excessive shipping costs on a few of those completed auctions... If he puts up any more "sealed" games for sale I'll buy them with my 0 feedback ebay account and not pay :)

[quote name='Ubivin']Yeah, I forgot to mention the shipping. Though it doesn't indicate that the seller is scamming, he is, like Link said, cutting fees drastically. This can and SHOULD be reported to eBay, as they will put him in their system at the very least.[/quote]

Yeah, you may think it doesn't imply scamming, but you would be wrong. The thing with eBay is that if there is a problem, they won't usually touch if unless the final price of the item is more than $25 before shipping. So, if you bought a $10 game and then paid over $100 shipping, you'd be screwed either way. That sucks though. Sorry man.

Evasion of fees (such as by listing the item at 0.01 and having $100 BIN) is a clear infraction against eBay's ToS --- and a bannable offense at that.

Also when you buy a game that has over 200$ shipping like that, its harder to get your money back through paypal, or maybe even impossible. Since the money was listed under the "shipping" section, that means technically its not included in the price of the item, so if you were to file a dispute with paypal, they would only refund the original price of the auction, which was like a dollar or something. I don't think they are under any obligation to refund shipping costs. I am not really sure about paypal since I refuse to use paypal however I have heard thats one of the many reasons why fee avoidance is very very bad, and you should not bid on any auction where fee avoidance is so blatantly obvious.

bread's done
Back