Paypal screwed me! UPDATE MARCH.11 2008, A NEW COLLECTION AGENCY IS CALLING!

[quote name='jumbo11']Damn bro, YOU have all his information. YOU know he scammed you. It was all in YOUR hands.

$1000 + PS3, I don't know about this.

I would've notified the police and got all the info from USPS (get the driver's statement on condition of the item at the time of the delivery) right away. I would've threatened the guy with court. PayPal and Ebay are not the authorities here. Now you got some agency on your ass.

If the guy doesn't live far, a little trip in person wouldn't have hurt either.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

You probably missed the details buried in here. I live in Canada on the west coast, he lives in the states in Florida on the east coast. The package was sent to him initially via Canada Post, it was returned to me via UPS. As far as threatening court and taking action that way it was kind of hard to do any of that stuff being in another country thousands of miles away.

Ok so I had one plan to handle collections for now. Next time they call I am going to request to see all of the claims they THINK they have against me in writing. I don't want to state that I do owe the money. I am simply going to request written records of what feel I am owing on. Is this a smart move, even if it serves no real purpose other than stalling? Is that also the way to word it? Oppinions :)

Well I'd say anything you try with them will be a gamble, but I don't think it would hurt to try the way things are going. This is a collection agency that will pretty much stop at nothing to collect the money owed.

After a couple months of continuous calls (i.e. Six Months), they will begin to send letters and never let up :roll:

One thing I noticed, since I did end up in the same position as you (but with me it was a xbox 360 I got scammed out of), I continued to ignore them for almost TWO years :lol:
I forget what happened exactly since I blocked out all the :bs:that happened with them, but I ended up paying them a smaller amount than I originally owed. They, in turn, pulled a fast one and had me paying the rest of the original debt under the premise that I would be fine if I just payed them the "settlement amount":headache:

FYI it was NCO Financial services came after me too. I think they're a part of Ebay like paypal is :roll:

I feel so horrible for you Majiic. This is total crap what you're being put through. Anybody want to start a "Save magiic's credit rating" fund? I got $20 I'm not using.

haha I appreciate the gesture but I dont think you guys need to be helping me pay a debt of over $1000. I can afford to pay the debt (I'm 17, I still live at home so I dont have any real financial obligations,however I'd rather spend money elsewhere). It's more the principle behind all of this. I have basically been bent over and taken it up the ass. I don't want to be out over $1000 and a Playstation 3. I am really interested to see how they handle collecting from someone who is 17 and as such under the age for legally entering into a contract with paypal in the first place.

Am I missing something here? How are you out of $1000, PS3, and yet somehow still owe paypal money? Didn't you take the $1000 out and thats how you have a negative balance so they're coming after you?

Anyways if I was in your position, i'd say fuck them and not pay them a penny.

Generally, and by that arrogant statement, I mean in the U.S., you aren't liable for any contracts you make while a minor unless it's for necessities. So you are clear there. But that probably has been changed by law.

When dealing with collections, you can request an accounting/review of your claim. You can also request that they do not call you. In the U.S. there are very strong laws to prevent collection abuse.

Not sure how it works in the CA but record everything they say/send to you and the times. If they slip up and threaten you or call at a bad hour, or call your boss or neighbor (or neighbour even) you might be able to turn the tables on them in small claims.

I looked to find my login info just to help you out.

Do NOT at any time discuss anything on the phone, ever. Once they say they are debt collectors attempting to collect a debt, hang up.

You will eventually receive a letter from NCO financial, when your receive this letter, respond with this

Name
Address
City, State, Zip

RE: (acct number)

I dispute. Please Validate. It is inconvenient to contact me at any time.

Signed,

Your name

Sent this letter CERTIFIED. And keep a copy, you may even want to notorize it.

99.5% of the time, you will not hear back from them.

If at anytime AFTER you know they got the letter, they call you, make sure you have some way to record the call or at least prove they called, they now owe you $1000 for violating the FDCPA. If they call again, that's another $1000 and so on.

If at anytime they sent another collection letter WITHOUT providing validation, they owe you another $1000.

If they actually validate, which they wont, head over to creditboards.com and they will help you out.

O fck, you're a minor, nice. If they validate it, send them a copy of your Drivers license with your DOB circled ;)

I was put in a very similar position with PayPal.

I sold a computer on eBay(near 1K) and sent it to the guy who paid in San Francisco. Later on paypal filed a refund claim saying the account I received the money from was stolen(this is 5 months) after the item has been sent. I was harassed and forced to pay about 80% of that money.

Damn! I just read the whole ordeal for the first time today. I've used paypal for years without problems but this scares the crap out of me! It sounds like these scam artists know how to work the system and if an honest seller gets caught in the middle he or she is fuck ed!

Wow Magiic, paypal didn't give you any grease or a kiss, they just came in and rammed it up your rear!

Just to clarify something, in the US a minor entering into a contract: the minor can make the contract voidable at any time. That means even if they have XXX in the TOS, it doesn't matter.

A quick check will tell you if it's the same in Canadia.

paypal screwed me almost the same way . im a power seller on ebay and im thinking about doing way with paypal . everyone should start a petion to get paypal to have some sort of real laws control it.

[quote name='wffsoccer']I looked to find my login info just to help you out.

Do NOT at any time discuss anything on the phone, ever. Once they say they are debt collectors attempting to collect a debt, hang up.

You will eventually receive a letter from NCO financial, when your receive this letter, respond with this

Name
Address
City, State, Zip

Signed,

Your name

If at anytime AFTER you know they got the letter, they call you, make sure you have some way to record the call or at least prove they called, they now owe you $1000 for violating the FDCPA. If they call again, that's another $1000 and so on.

If at anytime they sent another collection letter WITHOUT providing validation, they owe you another $1000.

If they actually validate, which they wont, head over to creditboards.com and they will help you out.

O fck, you're a minor, nice. If they validate it, send them a copy of your Drivers license with your DOB circled ;)[/quote]

Does this really work? If so, I may have to save this for future reference!

Name
Address
City, State, Zip

Signed,

Your name

O fck, you're a minor, nice. If they validate it, send them a copy of your Drivers license with your DOB circled ;)[/QUOTE]

nice. I doubt you would ever get the 1000s of dollars if they call you but they will probally never call : )

again you said you had insurance right?

so really your out 500 buck ? cause wouldnt the insurance pick up the rest

So if I was you i would look into what i can do with the insurance saying item is lost

that way if something very very bad happens and you do end up owing 1000 buck at least you get something back out of the insurance claim

Thanks for the info Im going to look into the minor in a contract deal in Canada. Also does that FDCPA thing apply to Canada also. As far the me being out $1000 and a PS3 I was referring to IF they collect from me I will be out both. Also about the insurance, I wont be able to file for that now,especially not saying it was lost because a) the reciever would have to cooperate b) it had delivery confirmation showing it arrived c) I believe only have six months to file a claim. So claiming the package never arrived is not going to work.

Name
Address
City, State, Zip

Signed,

Your name

O fck, you're a minor, nice. If they validate it, send them a copy of your Drivers license with your DOB circled ;)[/quote]

See that can be a bad thing, first the agency I work for we will validate it and if we cant we will sell it back to the company. Second if we can validate it then call you back and you still refuse to pay or then send us a C&D letter then its off to an attorney and if the judgment comes in our favor (more than you would think) be prepared for way more than the 1000.

Tell them you want to file a dispute that you fell you do not owe the Debt and get the Physical address for a certified letter to be sent. Write a dispute outlining why you do not owe the debt trust me doing a little work will help you. Then they have a 30-45 days to respond to the dispute either to outline why you owe it or to say sorry our bad. Granted your a minor and in Canada so I can't speak of every exact law or how it will effect you in the long run but I will almost guarantee it will never appear or your credit report.

[quote name='magiic']Thanks for the info Im going to look into the minor in a contract deal in Canada. Also does that FDCPA thing apply to Canada also. As far the me being out $1000 and a PS3 I was referring to IF they collect from me I will be out both. Also about the insurance, I wont be able to file for that now,especially not saying it was lost because a) the reciever would have to cooperate b) it had delivery confirmation showing it arrived c) I believe only have six months to file a claim. So claiming the package never arrived is not going to work.[/QUOTE]

im confused now? If the item was delivered how can the person say it was never delivered and still make a claim.

[quote name='magiic']Thanks for the info Im going to look into the minor in a contract deal in Canada. Also does that FDCPA thing apply to Canada also. As far the me being out $1000 and a PS3 I was referring to IF they collect from me I will be out both. Also about the insurance, I wont be able to file for that now,especially not saying it was lost because a) the reciever would have to cooperate b) it had delivery confirmation showing it arrived c) I believe only have six months to file a claim. So claiming the package never arrived is not going to work.[/QUOTE]

im confused now? If the item was delivered how can the person say it was never delivered and still make a claim.

i think you have 1 year to make claims

I just read the user agreement and it clearly sates that you must be 18 to have a paypal account. You could always say hey they let me have the account not my fault but then there is always a chance that might claim fraud.

[quote name='slidecage']im confused now? If the item was delivered how can the person say it was never delivered and still make a claim.

i think you have 1 year to make claims[/quote]

This was a item significantly not as described case not an item not recieved.

This kinda of reminds me the time I sold a 360 without a power cord clearly stated in the auction and the buyer filed a claim even thought I clearly stated in super bold font that it didn't have a power cord. I gave him like $25 back and he ended the claim. I even called paypal, but deep down I had a feeling I was getting screwed.

Maybe I'll quit using paypal....

[quote name='slidecage']what did they say they got ?[/quote]

he claimed the ps3 was damaged and as such he could no longer sell it to his friend

This is why we powersellers are all switching to GCO, none of this "item not as described" BS.

Since I switching in January, $155k in transactions processed, 0 claims.

[quote name='slidecage']nice. I doubt you would ever get the 1000s of dollars if they call you but they will probally never call : )

again you said you had insurance right?

so really your out 500 buck ? cause wouldnt the insurance pick up the rest

So if I was you i would look into what i can do with the insurance saying item is lost

that way if something very very bad happens and you do end up owing 1000 buck at least you get something back out of the insurance claim[/quote]

How much would you like to bet?

I had the same problem with a ps3 with a guy who said he received it damaged. He lost the paypal claim because he tryed closing the case in a day while lieing to paypal. I filed the insurance claim rite away (this was the OP's error, you needed to file the insurance and fax the paperwork into paypal showing you have proof its covered.) The case was closed in my favor with the guy who bought the ps3 panicing and telling me he was gonna sue me. Havent heard from him in 6 monthes.

I would have refused the COD package to if i was the cag. What If it was opened and there was a cardboard box with two bricks?

That was the main reason I refused the package as much as a $182 PS3 would of been nice, I didnt want to risk buying a box bricks.

this sucks balls but is it really worth ruining your credit over? I mean next time you want to buy a car your going to be screwed if this is on your credit you'll get such a crap for interest rate. Not to mention if you need to buy a house or even the deposit on an apartment can be higher.

Also I would get me a lawyer and sue either the guy w/ the PS3 or pay pal (probably have more luck w/ the guy w/ the PS3). or hell just file in small claims court by yourself based on what I see you would win or at least get the PS3 back which is better than nothing and he'd have to pay court costs.

[quote name='wffsoccer']This is why we powersellers are all switching to GCO, none of this "item not as described" BS.

Since I switching in January, $155k in transactions processed, 0 claims.[/quote]

what is GCO?

OP, I think I would try to work out something with the creditors if I were you. If you just let it go and then someday you get a judgement against you, you will be so fucked. It's going to be collecting interest plus you'll have to pay their lawyers fees. The price could get pretty steep. I think most creditors would negotiate a payment plan to make it easier for you, but make sure it is all in writing and signed by them if you do.

I've decided Im going to ask to see the whole case in writing to see exactly what Im up against. From there I will send them proof of my age and see what happens.

[quote name='magiic']he claimed the ps3 was damaged and as such he could no longer sell it to his friend[/QUOTE]

so why couldnt you collect on the insurance then. Item was damage in shipment.

[quote name='slidecage']so why couldnt you collect on the insurance then. Item was damage in shipment.[/quote]

it had to actually be damaged, the buyer had to cooperate. Also had to have the original packaging.

Name
Address
City, State, Zip

Signed,

Your name

Definitely follow this advice! I was about to post the same link. This is a great site.

If anyone still cares I havent gotten a single phone call since July. I also have no recieved a single piece of mail either.

[quote name='yukine']How do you use GCO with eBay?[/quote]

I am pretty sure ebay specifically states you cannot use GCO

There is no GCO on eBay. I dont even think eBay is a participant. GCO would be somewhat considered a competitor with eBay's PayPal...I think.

In related news, I just got a message from eBay stating that money orders/personal checks will no longer be accepted as payment on eBay.

After 10 years, eBay has finally driven me away completely, congratulations. I hope your "powersellers" continue to clog up the entire auction system with 99% worthless shit.

[quote name='Halo05']In related news, I just got a message from eBay stating that money orders/personal checks will no longer be accepted as payment on eBay.

After 10 years, eBay has finally driven me away completely, congratulations. I hope your "powersellers" continue to clog up the entire auction system with 99% worthless shit.[/quote]No, this is only for a few categories - video games being the most important one.

bread's done
Back