Paypal Warning- LIMITED ACCESS if you sell on forums + have no Supplier Information.

Demix500

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
My account was recently put on limited access because they deemed my account to be "high-risk". I asked paypal customer service to review the decision why my account was reviewed (I've been doing these kind of transactions for years) and the lady said she'll just put in a request for an appeal of the review. They basically said no to the appeal, and now I can't even provide receipts for the portion of sales I do have receipts for. For video games, hardware, etc- they were all shipped via USPS through the same paypal account. Tracking was provided right there.

I later talked to a supervisor ("Mike") and he said I need to provide my supplier(s) which I obviously don't have since I buy/sell/trade on forums and locally with the goods I already own, obtained second-hand, or traded for through forums such as these. I explained this to him and he said I would still need to provide this information so they could look it up.

He failed to mention that even if I could provide supplier information, (spent hours last night gathering what information I could), they wouldn't even accept it since they had already "terminated" my account after the appeals process was through (the first customer support agent who put in the appeal failed to mention this to me).

I've never had a charge-back, refund requested, paypal dispute (against me), etc.

I've accumulated ~$550 over the last several months into my personal account from selling games, hardware, possessions I don't have "supplier information" from, and was planning to use they money towards a new laptop for school. Now they are holding them for 180 day and closing my account.

RIDICULOUS.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5539957&postcount=13

Last edited by a moderator:
I never keep more than $5-$10 in my PayPal account exactly for situations like this. There's just not point since if I did have to use PayPal to pay for something, I just use a credit card or checking card.

I would call again and try and talk to someone else. Have them explain where on their website it says you have to provide supplier information and also ask them why other people you know have PayPal accounts without having to provide supplier information.

You're being screwed here, there's no doubt of that.

That sucks man. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me, I have like $500 in mine and no supplier info. Better move it into my bank account D:

you've must've done something more than youre telling us. I ebayed alot of stuff and hand more than a grand in my account and never had that kind of problem.

[quote name='decrot']you've must've done something more than youre telling us. I ebayed alot of stuff and hand more than a grand in my account and never had that kind of problem.[/quote]

Reading between the lines tells us that if you're receiving moneys through eBay into your Paypal account, you should be ok.

It's the fact that the OP is receiving a crapton of Paypal payments from just random people on a consistent basis. This may lead Paypal to believe that he has some sort of online storefront for merchandise that he's not telling them about.

In Paypal's eyes, if you're not selling on eBay then you might be shady. Ironic how it's actually the exact opposite.

[quote name='decrot']you've must've done something more than youre telling us. I ebayed alot of stuff and hand more than a grand in my account and never had that kind of problem.[/quote]

Haven't used ebay for over half a year.

I used to sell on ebay pretty frequently- and yes over a few grand worth over the years. This is the first time I've had this problem.

[quote name='Kerig']Reading between the lines tells us that if you're receiving moneys through eBay into your Paypal account, you should be ok.

It's the fact that the OP is receiving a crapton of Paypal payments from just random people on a consistent basis. This may lead Paypal to believe that he has some sort of online storefront for merchandise that he's not telling them about.

In Paypal's eyes, if you're not selling on eBay then you might be shady. Ironic how it's actually the exact opposite.[/quote]

That is a better explanation than anything the supervisor gave me.

This kind of thing is the reason I don't let paypal know any info on my bank accounts. I think that it is much safer to buy things from places like newegg using any paypal money I receive rather than letting them have any kind of access to my bank. The last thing I need is them somehow getting my bank acct locked down because they suspect fraud.

I've been using Paypal for as long as I've been on CAG, both for selling and buying. I think I've maybe used it a few times in the last five years for eBay transactions, and probably at least one year since I bought anything on eBay.

I never keep anything in it for more than a day or two, and I never fill it for any reason.

They've never given me any issue with it, and according to the OP's scenario, I should have been hit with this restriction long before he would have.

My guess is something else is going on, and we don't have all the facts.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've been using Paypal for as long as I've been on CAG, both for selling and buying. I think I've maybe used it a few times in the last five years for eBay transactions, and probably at least one year since I bought anything on eBay.

I never keep anything in it for more than a day or two, and I never fill it for any reason.

They've never given me any issue with it, and according to the OP's scenario, I should have been hit with this restriction long before he would have.

My guess is something else is going on, and we don't have all the facts.[/quote]

They're not telling me whats wrong either. That's why I asked to talk to the supervisor and he asked me that I had to provide my suppliers for all the goods I was selling (DVDS, video games, arcade sticks, gift cards, mp3 player, etc).

Basically, he just said my account was "high-risk". No explanation why.

I've been doing buying/selling on forums for a few years now on various forums. This is a first for me.

Well this thread opened my eyes, I haven't emptied my paypal account in a while (slightly over 1k from ebay sales) time to withdraw 5 hundo :) and do the same next month as well (since i can only do 500 transfers for free a month)

Always have a bank account registered on paypal so that you can get your money out immediately. By leaving your money in your paypal account you're basically giving them money by allowing them to earn interest off of your money. Instead of giving them your interest, get it yourself by putting it into a bank account.

[quote name='Demix500']My account was recently put on limited access because they deemed my account to be "high-risk". I talked to a supervisor ("Mike") and he wanted me to provide my supplier(s) which I obviously don't have since I buy/sell/trade on forums and locally with the goods I already own or obtained second-hand. I explained this to him and he said I would still need to provide this information so they could look it up.

I've never had a chargeback, refund requested, paypal dispute (against me), etc.

I've accummulated ~$550 over the last several months into my personal account from selling games, hardware, possessions I don't have "supplier information" from, and was planning to use they money towards a new laptop for school. Now they are holding them for 180 day and closing my account.

RIDICULOUS.

Btw- the $550 included my trade in at Gametradecentral which is FRAUDULENT . - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5539957&postcount=13
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Hello,

I am 100% sorry to hear about this - on January the 9th 2009, they did exactly the same thing to me. I had been trading on eBay (which is f&&King stupid cos they know from my feedback that I am a sound trader).

I lost $2900~~~ in this account. I have now moved providers and left ebay in the ditches.

They are going way further then they actually need too, almost like they are taking god status... Didn't you save and shipping labels? I.E receipts when you post etc?

Saint

I asked them to review the decision why my account was reviewed (I've been doing these kind of transactions for years).

They basically said no to the appeal, and now I can't even provide receipts for the portion of sales I do have receipts for. For video games, hardware, etc- they were all shipped via USPS through the same paypal account. Tracking was provided right there.

I mean some of the stuff I sold was even purchased from the same paypal account/ebay account from several months ago. Total bullshit.

What does supplier information even mean and what do did they want you to do? I have around $80 in paypal from random CAG sales and I'm a little worried now. I never thought it was a big deal using paypal to receive money from selling stuff. They take their cut and you get your money. What's the problem?

[quote name='MikeBastard']What does supplier information even mean and what do did they want you to do? I have around $80 in paypal from random CAG sales and I'm a little worried now. I never thought it was a big deal using paypal to receive money from selling stuff. They take their cut and you get your money. What's the problem?[/quote]

I began listing where I got my items from last night - amazon (xbox live codes, samba de amigo), best buy (SF IV TE stick), trades/barters (misc video games and gift cards), walmart (sixaxis controller with my ps3), newegg (computer hardware), etc etc.

They wanted me to list my suppliers and also upgrade to a business account (told me to fill in the information for my business as a requirement to remove the limit) and a credit check.

[quote name='Demix500']I began listing where I got my items from last night - amazon (xbox live codes, samba de amigo), best buy (SF IV TE stick), trades/barters (misc video games and gift cards), walmart (sixaxis controller with my ps3), newegg (computer hardware), etc etc.

They wanted me to list my suppliers and also upgrade to a business account (told me to fill in the information for my business as a requirement to remove the limit) and a credit check.[/quote]

Where do you even enter the supplier information? I'm messing around on paypal and can't find anything.

Sorry I can't help you with a paypal alternative. Maybe look at online poker websites and see what kind of payments they accept and go from there.

[quote name='MikeBastard']Where do you even enter the supplier information? I'm messing around on paypal and can't find anything.

Sorry I can't help you with a paypal alternative. Maybe look at online poker websites and see what kind of payments they accept and go from there.[/quote]

They request supplier information after they limit your account.

What level was your paypal account? Was it a personal account (i.e. just take paypal and bank payments) or was it a verified account like "US Premier" (which is what I have which accepts credit cards and the like). I could see them thinking lots of personal account level transactions as fishy.

[quote name='Grico']What level was your paypal account? Was it a personal account (i.e. just take paypal and bank payments) or was it a verified account like "US Premier" (which is what I have which accepts credit cards and the like). I could see them thinking lots of personal account level transactions as fishy.[/quote]

I had a personal and a US Premier account.

I usually accept non-cc payments through my personal, and my credit card through my US premier. Both were limited and are no longer usable.

I never went over the limits so I don't see why that would be a problem

[quote name='Demix500']I began listing where I got my items from last night - amazon (xbox live codes, samba de amigo), best buy (SF IV TE stick), trades/barters (misc video games and gift cards), walmart (sixaxis controller with my ps3), newegg (computer hardware), etc etc.

They wanted me to list my suppliers and also upgrade to a business account (told me to fill in the information for my business as a requirement to remove the limit) and a credit check.[/quote]

I was able to do my business account without any of the credit checks and such. No tax ID, no anything. I work with computers and accept payment there as well as using it here for the trade forums. Ive received money and spent money from the account since 2006 and never have I been popped with it. Never needed any sort of supplier information either.

[quote name='Demix500']I had a personal and a US Premier account.

I usually accept non-cc payments through my personal, and my credit card through my US premier. Both were limited and are no longer usable.

I never went over the limits so I don't see why that would be a problem[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had problems do to having 2 separate accounts? I can understand the reason but I could see paypal thinking having 2 accounts is fishy. It is essentially done to pay less fees to paypal, so maybe they crack down more on people who do so.

[quote name='Grico']Has anyone had problems do to having 2 separate accounts? I can understand the reason but I could see paypal thinking having 2 accounts is fishy. It is essentially done to pay less fees to paypal, so maybe they crack down more on people who do so.[/quote]

You're allowed to have more than one paypal account.

[quote name='Demix500']You're allowed to have more than one paypal account.
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Yup, you are, its a given, but if they ban you on one, its likely they've checked into your IP and ban you on all accounts concerned.

Saint

when you sign up for paypal, you agree to the T&C - read through that carefully.

Unfortunately, they can deem your account "high risK" for any number of reasons, and do so.

There are many cases of paypal holding funds like this but more often than not, it's a routine security check.

They drop in and analyze accounts at random - if you get picked, and have a lot of transactions, you'll get flagged. It happened to me.

I had 1400 euros tied up for 2 months arguing with them and had to send them invoices and a whole bunch of crap.

Now, I avoid paypal at all costs, and when I must use it, cash out every night.

Just cashed out just under $500. I ussually don't keep funds in paypal but had been planning on using it. Their loss with these stupid policies.

[quote name='darkslime']I took everything out except for 30 bucks in case I want to buy something.[/quote]

Honestly mate, thats a good choice, cus if they catch you with your panties down they will roger you.

I use Alertpay as much as possible nowadays :)

Saint

[quote name='MSUHitman']I would send your story to local media and consumerist.com and see what happens.[/quote]

I like this idea. Light a fire under paypal's ass. That will make them move faster and will make them a lot more reasonable.

Before you do that though, read the tos carefully. You don't want to go to the press, and have the press tell you that you are in the wrong.

Man... I wonder how much worse it would be if you used places like CL then. I mean there's no protection there at least Forums you have some what protection. This is LAME.

Why don't you try telling them that you buy from stores around the area OP? SOunds like they're just trying to intimidate you. Either that or you got the unlucky pick for people they need to screw with out of obligation to making it look like they police their service for launderers.

They didn't even let me provide my receipts after I gathered them.

When my account was put under limited access- when I logged on - there was a section to ask for my supplier(s) and one to confirm my identity. I submitted my Social security # but I didn't have any "suppliers".

I called and asked the customer service agent on the line why my account was being put under review. I told her: I'm not a business, I haven't had any customer issues, I'm not selling and buying crazy amounts of goods. I don't see why I'm being put under review." The agent just said okay- I'll put your account under an appeal for the review. After the appeal was denied, my account was immediately terminated (I didn't even get to submit my receipts).

I had a Walmart invoice from 2 years ago (sixaxis controller), few best buys games from last year, several transactions from ebay last year (live cash back time of year), amazon purchases (dvds, games, pc accessories), paypal transaction ID's, and other stuff I had bartered and/or purchased locally.

I called customer support agent and asked for a representative (the 2nd time I talked to a senior agent), and I told her my story including the fact I had invoices for most of the stuff I sold and that I wanted to submit the invoices so they could actually review my account and she basically said: uh huh- I'll just make a note of these suppliers and submit it to the reviews team. They would not let me submit any files. Literally before I hung up- I got an email saying my account was to be discontinued (again).

Good stuff.

That sucks. They have put a hold on my account two times saying that what I sold on eBay was high risk and that I had to wait sixty days for it to clear. Sucks that they suspend all activity even the existing funds that they said were not high risk. I would love an alternative too. Cheapy D should make a CAG account. I would definately let this sote have a cut and accumulate interest.

This is the reason why I always keep my balance as $0 in my paypal. Always transfer your money to your bank account, and use credit card on Paypal to spend.

bread's done
Back