PC: Deus Ex 2 - $24.90

It is a crappy game... in case anyone wanted to know.

- 8 hours long
- horrible pc performance - you need a 3ghz cpu to get decent fps

I wouldn't pay more than $10 shipped for this stinker.

It's actually a great game. 8 hours long my ass. You can do so much in the game, and there is so much replay value. Definitely a great price for it.

Oh and I have an older computer, nowhere near 3.0 gHz, and it runs fine. On high quality, mind you. Looks great, too.

I might get this, the requirements arent too bad. I have a

p4 2.4 GHZ
256 MB of RAM
64 MB 3d Card

so it should work find according to the requirements.

With the VERY rare exception you can get decent fps without a moster maching, but again it is very rare.

And yes the game is around 8 hours long - so called replay value does not count. In fact there are a few people who have beaten it in less than an hour with a speed run.

Also to get decent pc quality textures you have to download user made textures cause the textures that come with the game absolutely stink.

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?s=73fe52b09de2d63dc5b18d4d2233bb69&showforum=4

[quote name='Smoke']I might get this, the requirements arent too bad. I have a

p4 2.4 GHZ
256 MB of RAM
64 MB 3d Card

so it should work find according to the requirements.[/quote]

This game has horrible performance regardless of what the box specs say. Most reviews for this game clearly state that. Go to the link I gave above.

You have been warned.

Deus Ex 2 is a good game in its own right, but as a follow-up to Deus Ex, it's sort of a shame. The company tried to ramp up the graphics, and they did an excellent job, but unfortunately that was a the sacrafice of what made the original great: largescale expansion and content. That, and the graphics are very demanding on the average system. I cannot speak for consoles.

Deus Ex 2 though does a good job following and improving upon the overall theme of the series, and is definitely worth at least a play. You're still given excellent plot decisions, continues an engaging plot, and is relatively important. I played it once and I prolly won't look back, however, and I've played the original at least 4 times. Food for thought.

If the price hits a decent level (20 or lower), it's a good addition to your 'library' of games, even if not a good homage to an ingenius universe. However, as I said, it's like night and day in comparison to the original, but there's reasons why this is. Just trying to wedge a more truthful line between "its great!" and "it sucks" and get to the meat and potatoes of the matter.

If you're looking for conspiracy stuff, Computer Gaming World packaged with a DVD a couple months ago with a few full-version older games on it. Deus Ex (superior to IW) was on it. Forgot the exact month but it also came with some Warlords game... never got into that series.

[quote name='Scrubking']With the VERY rare exception you can get decent fps without a moster maching, but again it is very rare.

And yes the game is around 8 hours long - so called replay value does not count. In fact there are a few people who have beaten it in less than an hour with a speed run.

Also to get decent pc quality textures you have to download user made textures cause the textures that come with the game absolutely stink.

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?s=73fe52b09de2d63dc5b18d4d2233bb69&showforum=4[/quote]

Obviously if you're going for a speed run, you can beat it quickly. If you take your time, it is a great game. The textures that come with the game are fine. Maybe your PC just sucks.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Smoke']I might get this, the requirements arent too bad. I have a

p4 2.4 GHZ
256 MB of RAM
64 MB 3d Card

so it should work find according to the requirements.[/quote]

This game has horrible performance regardless of what the box specs say. Most reviews for this game clearly state that. Go to the link I gave above.

You have been warned.[/quote]

Again, you are mistaken. If you patch the game, it runs much smoother. It appears you gave up on it too quickly (like way before the patch came out). Your loss.

[quote name='st0neface']I'm gonna have to agree with Scrubking on this topic, spend $10 on the original and have a hell of a lot more fun.[/quote]

in short summary to what I said as well, yes.

I think that some people are ragging on this game too much.

If you patch the game, it runs pretty smoothly (I have an athlon 1800+ and a geforce fx 5900 and I can run just fine in 1024 with all the shadows and such turned on).

As far as gameplay, I know it is different from the original, but I kind of like the feel. They streamlined everything and it is a completely different beast, but one that can stand on its own merit.

It all depends on what you want. Rabid fans expecting a rehash of the first game can go elsewhere, but people looking for a relatively deep, easy to pick up shooter with a lot of options as far as gameplay styles go, this is your game.

And seriously, JC Denton wears a coat to make himself look bigger than he is :D

Also, you are all forgetting how unforgiving the original was to systems at the time. 64 MB of RAM was quite a bit at that time and the game ran like crap with even that and a good video card.

[quote name='1up.com']It's hard to pin down exactly what Deus Ex: Invisible War is. Given the nature of its predecessor, Deus Ex, one would immediately assume this title would be a long, interactive, sci-fi RPG played from the first-person. It is not. Invisible War is no more about conventional role-playing than Jedi Academy is, which also featured upgradeable characters and weapons. It's also not enormous by any measure of time. The some 10 to 15 hours of play will not appease the role-player accustomed to investing the better part of a month or a life with a single experience. And scale? Again, RPGs, the original Deus Ex included, present as a matter of fact gigantic environments free for players to explore and enjoy, often times with tangible rewards applied to both the overarching plot and personal development. Invisible War is not this.

It's not just this imposed linearity in an otherwise free world that suspends the much vaunted suspension of disbelief. Much of the game is illogically strewn together. Some people mill about in odd places, the corpses of others never relinquish the goods they try so hard to peddle, the "simplified" ammo management system equates a dart round to that of a sniper, rocket, or flamethrower. All the while, each absurdly out of place ventilation shaft or sewage inlet that leads to absolutely nothing of interest is presented in a cramped and ridiculously dim fashion. Mood is one thing, but for every area to elicit a sense of claustrophobia and frustration due solely to some boyish desire to cram more dramatic lighting onto every other flaming barrel is just absurd.

The more I played Invisible War, the more I came to realize that all of the changes made to the original's formula do not make for a more refined experience, but rather for one that's less exciting, narrower in scope, and slimmed down to accommodate a mass market mistakenly believed to be incapable of comprehending the complex. It's the thousand little things blown away by the wind of people pleasing development that now make the 50 original problems standout.

On my 3GHz, 1GB of RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro machine, it ran so awfully I mistook general Unreal Technology sloppiness for some kind of error. Hmmm... Maybe this "NVIDIA: The Way It's Meant To Be Played Logo" isn't fooling around. Let's throw in the GeForce FX 5950 Freaking Ultra and see what happens... Whoops. It's almost unplayable at times.[/quote]
http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1489745,00.asp

Conclusion: Don't buy this game unless it is in a bargain bin for under $15

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='1up.com']It's hard to pin down exactly what Deus Ex: Invisible War is. Given the nature of its predecessor, Deus Ex, one would immediately assume this title would be a long, interactive, sci-fi RPG played from the first-person. It is not. Invisible War is no more about conventional role-playing than Jedi Academy is, which also featured upgradeable characters and weapons. It's also not enormous by any measure of time. The some 10 to 15 hours of play will not appease the role-player accustomed to investing the better part of a month or a life with a single experience. And scale? Again, RPGs, the original Deus Ex included, present as a matter of fact gigantic environments free for players to explore and enjoy, often times with tangible rewards applied to both the overarching plot and personal development. Invisible War is not this.

It's not just this imposed linearity in an otherwise free world that suspends the much vaunted suspension of disbelief. Much of the game is illogically strewn together. Some people mill about in odd places, the corpses of others never relinquish the goods they try so hard to peddle, the "simplified" ammo management system equates a dart round to that of a sniper, rocket, or flamethrower. All the while, each absurdly out of place ventilation shaft or sewage inlet that leads to absolutely nothing of interest is presented in a cramped and ridiculously dim fashion. Mood is one thing, but for every area to elicit a sense of claustrophobia and frustration due solely to some boyish desire to cram more dramatic lighting onto every other flaming barrel is just absurd.

The more I played Invisible War, the more I came to realize that all of the changes made to the original's formula do not make for a more refined experience, but rather for one that's less exciting, narrower in scope, and slimmed down to accommodate a mass market mistakenly believed to be incapable of comprehending the complex. It's the thousand little things blown away by the wind of people pleasing development that now make the 50 original problems standout.

On my 3GHz, 1GB of RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro machine, it ran so awfully I mistook general Unreal Technology sloppiness for some kind of error. Hmmm... Maybe this "NVIDIA: The Way It's Meant To Be Played Logo" isn't fooling around. Let's throw in the GeForce FX 5950 Freaking Ultra and see what happens... Whoops. It's almost unplayable at times.[/quote]
http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1489745,00.asp

Conclusion: Don't buy this game unless it is in a bargain bin for under $15[/quote]

Conclusion: That review sucks.

The reviewer obviously played the game (like you have) before the patch. Yes, it ran terribly slow before the patch. After patching, it runs great.

I fail to see what the reviewer was talking about as far as "ventilation shafts that leads to absolutley nothing of interest". Every secret passage and crawlspace I found held not only items, but a different path to solving a certain task. Do you want to sneak up on the guy, or open his door and go toe to toe with him? There is so much to do and see in the game, it's unbelievable.

Is it better then Deus Ex? No. Is Deus Ex better then it? No. They are two different games as far as play style. People that complain about the universal ammo thing must not know how to conserve their ammo, or use it wisely. People that complain about there being no skills system probably don't appreciate the fact that the bio mods are much better this time around.

As for the whole 8, 10, 15 hours of gameplay, that is wrong. If you take your time, and do all the tasks, this game is good for at least 25 hours. That doesn't count all the times you'll reload a saved game to do something different or because you were killed, etc.

I get the feeling you tried this game, and then just abandoned it. Sad.

[quote name='Scrubking']For the last time. You don't know what you are talking about.

The game IS ~10 hours long. Everyone knows that, every review states that so go away already.[/quote]

Prove it, I think you don't know what you're talking about.

bread's done
Back