PC Download Halloween sale @Gamestop.com

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
Save up to 75% off
http://impulsedriven.com/id/collection/halloween.html

[quote name='Greyghost']Just an FYI Steam will probably do a Halloween sale as they have done in past years. If I had to guess, I'd say they may do it as an over the weekend deal this weekend in which case those prices should go live in a couple of hours.

Might want to hold off a little and see what their prices are first.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Some fair deals. Amnesia for $4.99 is about what ive wanted to pay, but i dont want impulse on my computer at all. Hopefully theres a steam sale for it or its a indie bundle for halloween.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Some fair deals. Amnesia for $4.99 is about what ive wanted to pay, but i dont want impulse on my computer at all. Hopefully theres a steam sale for it or its a indie bundle for halloween.[/QUOTE]

Why is having Impulse on your computer so bad? I have it on mine and haven't noticed any issues.

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask anyway: Do Gamestop giftcards work on purchases on Impulse? These deals aren't great but if I can use my giftcards I'd probably pick up a few items (Dark Souls, Metro 2033, Dead Island).

[quote name='CaptainSlow']Why is having Impulse on your computer so bad? I have it on mine and haven't noticed any issues.[/QUOTE]

Its most likely not bad at all, i just already have Steam and Origin so id like to limit how many game programs or clients (whatever their called) i have. Ive avoided needing Impulse and also the GMG client for downloading so far so im tryin to keep it that way.

Just an FYI Steam will probably do a Halloween sale as they have done in past years. If I had to guess, I'd say they may do it as an over the weekend deal this weekend in which case those prices should go live in a couple of hours.

Might want to hold off a little and see what their prices are first.

[quote name='Greyghost']Just an FYI Steam will probably do a Halloween sale as they have done in past years. If I had to guess, I'd say they may do it as an over the weekend deal this weekend in which case those prices should go live in a couple of hours.

I'm hoping for this exact scenario, ill be a very happy camper if there's a Steam Halloween sale live when I get home from work today

Left 4 Dead 2 and Rock of Ages weekend deal and Deponia daily deal. Don't think Steam will have a Halloween sale this weekend.

Note to people. I don't know if it's just my case but your pretty much going to have to install impulse even if the game is Steam. I had to use impulse to get my walking dead key (because they didn't send it through the e-mail).

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Some fair deals. Amnesia for $4.99 is about what ive wanted to pay, but i dont want impulse on my computer at all. Hopefully theres a steam sale for it or its a indie bundle for halloween.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you missed the Humble Indie Bundle V ... it had Psychonauts, LIMBO, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP. Do you have any of the other games, other than Amnesia?

[quote name='bchampnd']This may be a dumb question but I have to ask anyway: Do Gamestop giftcards work on purchases on Impulse? These deals aren't great but if I can use my giftcards I'd probably pick up a few items (Dark Souls, Metro 2033, Dead Island).[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can use Gamestop gift/trade cards.

[quote name='Umair56']How does that game hold up? Its one I've always wanted to play but never got around to and I haven't seen it get a proper discount.[/QUOTE]

Be warned, it's been cheaper before.

GameFly had it for $3.75 once; it's been $5 on Steam before. Wouldn't surprise me if Steam puts this on sale during Halloween...
Or that it just does not go on sale there on Steam, since that game doesn't really go on sale too often there, BTW...
...Just so you know...

One of my favorite games of all time.

My Most Uninstalled/Reinstalled Game Of All Time. It's the game on my older PC when I was always fighting my PC for HDD space, every year I'd up uninstalling (to get space back) and eventually reinstalling it (when Halloween came around). Won't happen nowadays - since I have 2 nice big HDD's for this Win 7 PC.

Be warned - it's a Troika game and their games were always quite buggy.
You DO & WILL need to mod it up - especially if you want to run on Win 7 (or above).
While Final Patch 1.20 was in a stable state, modders have improved the game immensely (bug-fixing and engine fixing so it runs on modern OS's; some versions of Wesp's Patch restore unused content).

Make sure you put in either Wesp's Patch or Tess's True Patch - depending on what Unofficial Patch you'd rather use.
And use the Widescreen Patcher Mod (this comes w/ Wesp's Mod, BTW) - so you can boot it up to higher-res's.

For more info - go here for lots of info on how to mod the game & where to get mods - especially even more so true if you do wind up getting a Steam version of it.
Of course, you may also want to look at the Steam Forums for V:TM-BL for anything else you might need w/ the game.

I'm not sure if GameStop PC App's version uses Steam or not. Not sure what the DRM is there. Maybe someone else can speak on that? I don't know.
Retail Version (on 3 CD's) DID NOT; it only had a simple disc-check - that's the version I have.
DotEmu had a DRM-FREE version up for a while.
I think GameFly's version was Non-Steam - not sure. Maybe someone who has that version can speak on that?

The game is fantastic. If you liked the original Deus Ex, combat is similar to that - yeah, it's a little clunky (especially w/ guns), when compared to combat in many RPG's, these days; but that stuff was kind of par for the course back then when the blending of RPG's and First-Person Action and Third-Person action games were first going on. And yes, there are dice rolls based on your stats.

But the amount of choice the games gives you; number of different endings (7 - The Godly number); the story; the characters; the dialogue; the voice-acting; the licensed music (from Chiasm, Daniel Ash, Tiamat, etc); & the original score soundtrack (from Womb Music) is absolutely fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MysterD']Be warned, it's been cheaper before.

GameFly had it for $3.75 once; it's been $5 on Steam before. Wouldn't surprise me if Steam puts this on sale during Halloween...or that it does not go on sale there, since it doesn't really go on sale too often, BTW...
...Just so you know...

One of my favorite games of all time.

My Most Uninstalled/Reinstalled Game Of All Time. It's the game on my older PC when I was always fighting my PC for HDD space, every year I'd up uninstalling (to get space back) and eventually reinstalling it (when Halloween came around). Won't happen nowadays - since I have 2 nice big HDD's for this Win 7 PC.

Be warned - it's a Troika game and their games were always quite buggy.
You DO & WILL need to mod it up - especially if you want to run on Win 7 (or above).
While Final Patch 1.20 was in a stable state, modders have improved the game immensely (bug-fixing and engine fixing so it runs on modern OS's; some versions of Wesp's Patch restore unused content).

Make sure you put in either Wesp's Patch or Tess's True Patch - depending on what Unofficial Patch you'd rather use.
And use the Widescreen Patcher Mod (this comes w/ Wesp's Mod, BTW) - so you can boot it up to higher-res's.

For more info - go here and look at the Steam Forums for V:TM-BL.

I'm not sure if GameStop PC App's version uses Steam or not.
Retail Version (on 3 CD's) DID NOT; it only had a disc-check - that's the version I have.
DotEmu had a DRM-FREE version up for a while.

The game is fantastic. If you liked the original Deus Ex, combat is similar to that - yeah, it's a little clunky (especially w/ guns), when compared to combat in many RPG's, these days; but that stuff was kind of par for the course back then when the blending of RPG's and First-Person Action and Third-Person action games were first going on. And yes, there are dice rolls based on your stats.

But the amount of choice the games gives you; number of different endings (7 - The Godly number); the story; the characters; the dialogue; the voice-acting; the licensed music (from Chiasm, Daniel Ash, Tiamat, etc); & the original score soundtrack (from Womb Music) is absolutely fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info, especially about the mods. I think I'll wait until it pops up on a Steam sale. I tend to install and uninstall games a lot so I'd like a Steam version to keep it easy. It looks like a game thats right up my alley though. Hopefully it pops up on a better sale soon.

[quote name='Umair56']Thanks for all the info, especially about the mods. I think I'll wait until it pops up on a Steam sale. I tend to install and uninstall games a lot so I'd like a Steam version to keep it easy. It looks like a game thats right up my alley though. Hopefully it pops up on a better sale soon.[/QUOTE]

If you do buy a Steam Version, make sure you especially read that link that I provided a few posts (and in this sentence, too - it's the same link).
It's crucial, as Steam Version has quite a bit of working-around to get it going; and you have to disable some Steam features (for that particular game) so it does not patch you backwards (to Patch 1.20); and other Steam-Version only related nonsense.

As you probably should do w/ any Steam-Version of a game BEFORE you mod it up - after DLing it, make sure you BACK-UP your entire game folder of V-TM:BL in its original unmodded clean state. Just in case, something goes wrong when modding or something breaks for whatever reason - you can always get back to that Clean Modded State w/ a reinstall. Don't wanna keep DLing the full game (I think it's like 4GB or so, if I recall?) cleanly to get back to the same starting point, you know?

[quote name='hollowfreak']Too bad you missed the Humble Indie Bundle V ... it had Psychonauts, LIMBO, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP. Do you have any of the other games, other than Amnesia?[/QUOTE]

I know! And I'm pretty positive that's the only Humble bundle i don't own. I actually don't any of those games either (I have limbo on xbla tho) so I missed out bi time

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I know! And I'm pretty positive that's the only Humble bundle i don't own. I actually don't any of those games either (I have limbo on xbla tho) so I missed out bi time[/QUOTE]

Actually you saved a buck ... I'll PM it to you, I just didn't want to waste the gift if you had the majority of the games already. enjoy!

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Hmm, has Dead Island GOTY been cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Greenmangaming had it for $10 recently with a 20% code that brought it to $8. I'm personally holding out for $5.

[quote name='radjago']The Walking Dead for $14.99 is the lowest I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

It's hit this price multiple times on Amazon and Steam. The cheapest period has been $12.74 if you had the IGN Discount on Gamersgate.

Tempted by Walking Dead so I can unload this $5.xx I have left on a Gamestop trade card. Loved the first two episodes when I played them for free on PS+ but I have a feeling this might hit 75% off during the Steam Winter Sale especially if all the episodes are out by then. Doubt I would even get around to playing it until then anyway with all the new releases coming out.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Actually you saved a buck ... I'll PM it to you, I just didn't want to waste the gift if you had the majority of the games already. enjoy![/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton! sent you a pm to thank you as well but that was pretty awesome

[quote name='Killbomb']Tempted by Walking Dead so I can unload this $5.xx I have left on a Gamestop trade card. Loved the first two episodes when I played them for free on PS+ but I have a feeling this might hit 75% off during the Steam Winter Sale especially if all the episodes are out by then. Doubt I would even get around to playing it until then anyway with all the new releases coming out.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. I am having a hard time paying 5 bucks each for the remaining episodes. Hopefully it does go lower later in the year.

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition for $26.76? Seems like a decent deal, any thoughts on this port? (Noticed Resident Evil®: Operation Raccoon City is $24.99, but am seeing mixed reviews of it)

[quote name='intoxicated662']Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition for $26.76? Seems like a decent deal, any thoughts on this port? (Noticed Resident Evil®: Operation Raccoon City is $24.99, but am seeing mixed reviews of it)[/QUOTE]

It's going to be $20 soon at Amazon.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition for $26.76? Seems like a decent deal, any thoughts on this port? (Noticed Resident Evil®: Operation Raccoon City is $24.99, but am seeing mixed reviews of it)[/QUOTE]

Amazon DVG will sell Dark Souls PTD (PC download) for $20 starting Sunday.

Ain't played it yet, but I know some details about it - since I been following the info and stuff on it.

Out-the-box (not modded), the game is locked at 1024x768; locked at 30 FPS; definitely MUST have a gamepad; & requires both Steam (for activation + installation) and G4WL (for Multiplayer).

If you use DSFix Mod you can unlock higher resolutions; and have some extra graphical bells & whistles at your disposal! :D
You also can unlock framerate cap & even disable G4WL (wouldn't recommend doing the last 2 things while playing online w/ G4WL - might result in a G4WL suspension or ban).

Thanks for the helpful information everyone, I will await the great Amazon sale then. I don't mind the whole steam+gfwl anyways as I have a couple of games that require both and i've already read up on the mods for the game to improve and make it better. Any other GFWL games going on sale anytime soon? :)

[quote name='intoxicated662']Thanks for the helpful information everyone, I will await the great Amazon sale then. I don't mind the whole steam+gfwl anyways as I have a couple of games that require both and i've already read up on the mods for the game to improve and make it better. Any other GFWL games going on sale anytime soon? :)[/QUOTE]

Here's some of GameSpy's thoughts on Dark Souls: PTD Edition PC port:
Port Authority section from Mike Nelson - on PC version's (lack of) features and how it is w/ DS Fix.
Review from legendary PC RPG reviewer "Desslock" Stefan Janicki - 4 1/2 stars (out of 5).

In addition to waiting on DS I would also strongly recommend you do not pay $24.99 for RE:ORC. While I didn't hate it like everyone else seemed to it definitely has its fair share of issues. I got it for $17.99 from BB and played through the main game (no dlc), thought that its probably worth somewhere in the $9.99-$14.99 range but there's much better games out there for $24.99

bread's done
Back