PC Game Recommendations?

kromekoran

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
so I just bought a new PC and video card, it's not the top of the line, but I'm looking for PC games from the last few years that are good that I might have missed.

I play a lot of games on my 360, and only really played CivIV on my PC, but since I have something that should play most recent games well I'm looking for stuff that might have flown under my radar. generally I'm interested in games that don't have a console port (ex: Fallout 3) because I might have played them already on the 360, or games that don't fit well on consoles (strategy).

I'm probably going to go pick up The Witcher: Enhanced tonight since I've heard good things about that one and the 360 port is still a ways off.

thanks in advance.

my system specs:
Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8ghz
6GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4670 512MB GDDR4

Wow... games on the PC that don't have some kind of console port... I was trying to think of a few and too many was like "Oh wait, it was on the XBox..." or something like that... So I'll try to leave out games on consoles and PC

Good games of yesteryear... hm...

Blizzard Games:
Diablo 2
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
Steam/Valve games are a good way to start.
Counterstrike Source
Battlefield 2 (And others such as 2142)
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
Neverwinter Nights
Command and Conquer
The Sims (And other Will Wright games)
Sins of a Solar Empire
Total War
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes

All of these are solid, good games, and being PC exclusives, predictably mostly RTS and FPS. I hope that will get you started

Get a subscription to GameTap, whatever you do. A thousand games for $60 a year if you pay annually, that's one new console game :) A friend can play at the same time on a sub-account, too. Sam & Max seasons 1 & 2, the Black Isle games and STALKER, Supreme Commander, Dawn of War etc alone should be worth it for you.

Crysis and Crysis: Warhead were good.

I think you'd be able to play it with that video card - not at the highest settings, but it should still be good.

If you want some old (1990s) pc games you might want to check out Good Old Games - http://www.gog.com - they're new so their catalog is small now but it's growing.

In addition to GOG and GameTap - Steam has some pretty good games

thanks for all the recs guys. I ended up grabbing Left 4 Dead and Civ Colonization last week, and ordered The Witcher Enhanced from Amazon. I almost picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Neverwinter Nights 2, but I figured I have a few to keep me busy in the short term, but they're definately on my radar (and I know someone who works at Obsidian, so I'll see if I can score NN2 for free).

Get the Dawn of War series- specifically- Dawn of War, Winter Assault & Dark Crusade- takea pass with Soul Storm.

DOW had a great story, so did Winter Assault. Dark Crusade had great story elements and was RPG lite in the way that you traveled around- eventually near the end you didn't even have to build the base if you didn't want too and the 9+ "home" base boss battles (when you are invading them) are very cool- plus you can play from all the factions.

[quote name='doho7744']Be sure and get Vampires the Masquerade:Bloodlines. It was as good if not better than The Witcher (which was a great game).[/quote]

Having played both I would give the edge to The Witcher. But Vampire is a really good game that was ahead of its time in many ways. It was really buggy at launch but over the years there have been so many fan made patches released that I hear it plays like a whole new game now. If I ever get somewhat caught up on my backlog I want to play Vampire again and see how much better it has gotten.

VTMB's unofficial patch just hit v6.0 last week.

Don't know why it's compared to Witcher, though. The games are pretty different in all regards.

[quote name='odhen']Has gametap began supporting 64bit OSes yet?[/quote]
HA! HA! HA!

Er, not for their windows games and there is no indication that it will happen any time soon. :cry:

The Orange Box. even if you already have it on a console... it's so much better on PC, trust me (or at least just get TF2). Left 4 Dead is also excellent on PC.

Otherwise, the Battlefield series is awesome. RTSs like Company of Heroes and Age of Empires III are excellent too.

Dawn of War II, I just beat it last night. It's pretty fun.
Spore
Never Winter Nights
Left 4 Dead
Supreme Commander
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Orange Box
World of Goo

Damn my memory sucks. I can't remember most games after I beat them...

[quote name='Sokkratez']VTMB's unofficial patch just hit v6.0 last week.

Don't know why it's compared to Witcher, though. The games are pretty different in all regards.[/quote]

????

which 'regards' are you comparing?

Vampires to Witchers? Because that's the only difference.

They both are Action RPG built on fantastic visual engines with an engrossing story.

Both have sex, dialog, story, people to interact, killing, violence, magic, and plenty of twists and turns....

Orange Box- it is a totally different experience on a PC. I started on the 360 version and couldn't believe the difference on the PC.

Civ IV-Just started getting into it. Kind of a slow burn game, but it is very addicting

One other tip is to make sure to check the Steam weekend deals. You can pick up some really great deals such as Trials 2 or Rome for dirt cheap.

[quote name='xycury']????

which 'regards' are you comparing?

Vampires to Witchers? Because that's the only difference.

They both are Action RPG built on fantastic visual engines with an engrossing story.

Both have sex, dialog, story, people to interact, killing, violence, magic, and plenty of twists and turns....[/QUOTE]

Thematically, Vampire-like creatures are the only similarity. They aren't played from the same view point, they have different combat systems. One is set in modern times, one is set in a fantasy world. It's like comparing Doom 3 to Gears of War because they both have guns. I'm not saying one's better than another - I love them both - I just don't want people to get confused and think they're the same type of game, thereby playing one and not the other. Both should be played ;)

[quote name='Sokkratez']Thematically, Vampire-like creatures are the only similarity. They aren't played from the same view point, they have different combat systems. One is set in modern times, one is set in a fantasy world. It's like comparing Doom 3 to Gears of War because they both have guns. I'm not saying one's better than another - I love them both - I just don't want people to get confused and think they're the same type of game, thereby playing one and not the other. Both should be played ;)[/quote]

So then every game is in it's own category by themselves?

I would lump doom 3 and GoW because they are both FPS.

I guess I go by the standard.. RPG, FPS, RTS, JRPG, SRPG, Rougelikes, Shumps...

I suppose you could pull them apart by their particulars, but then isn't that what's good about a game, that it is different than another.

[quote name='Sokkratez']Gears is not a first person shooter, it's played from third person.[/quote]

oh my mistake :booty:I guess broaden the category to just shooters.

I would still throw them in the same category, no matter what the view, it doesn't dramatically make it a different game.

I suppose a FP RPG and a TP RPG are different?

what if a game, like Bloodlines, does both? does it matter? does it radically make the game different? I don't think so, it's still an Action RPG much like The Witcher.

I would say the only thing that would be different between the two... game mechanics/controls and the story. Huge surprise there because that's what makes one game different from another, but not within a genre.

ok... going back to the point of origin.... I could probably say that a person that likes the Witcher, would probably within 80%+ chance that they would like VTM:B because of the same genre RPG. Outside of Controls and storyline, they are not different and could be lumped together if one was looking for a similar game. To compare something else, I would lump Diablo and Titan Quest closer together, than I would Diablo and VTM:B, but they would still all be under the ARPG category.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back