PC - Gamersgate: Bulletstorm $11.98

Daykain

CAGiversary!
Feedback
294 (100%)
For those that missed the EA deal last week, Bulletstorm is $11.98 at Gamersgate for today only for the PC as a digital download. Promo code survey2010 does NOT appear to work.

Tomb Raider: Underworld is also $4.99 for today only if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Brian9824']do you know if it can be registed on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I think that is one of our famous CAG responses...I was gonna ask that too when I read the OT haha :p

You can't register it on Steam. I was also not able to register it on Origin Beta (EA DM's replacement). The Origin forums suggests you contact Customer Service to have it manually added, but the CS rep was very unhelpful and suggested I submit a scanned copy of the cover and key. She also told me the key would not work "anywhere." Of course, an hour later I was installing the game and the key worked great.

So...

YMMV. Still for $12, it's not bad either way. I'd be happier if I could get it bound to my EA DM/Origin account.

survey2010 was an Impulse code; it NEVER worked on gamersgate :p

For the record, survey2010 appears to no longer work at impulse either. Seeing as how it was set to expire back in February, I've gotten decent millage out of that discount... or I would have, had impulse not started charging sales tax >_<

"Hey guys, let's compete with steam, but we'll offer crappier service with higher prices! We'll also try to sneak sales tax into our customers' orders! Aren't we clever?!?"

But yeah, this is an excellent deal. I'm jumping on it ^_^

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']You can't register it on Steam. I was also not able to register it on Origin Beta (EA DM's replacement). The Origin forums suggests you contact Customer Service to have it manually added, but the CS rep was very unhelpful and suggested I submit a scanned copy of the cover and key. She also told me the key would not work "anywhere." Of course, an hour later I was installing the game and the key worked great.

So...

YMMV. Still for $12, it's not bad either way. I'd be happier if I could get it bound to my EA DM/Origin account.[/QUOTE]

Where did the key work then? Does GamersGate have a separate client?

Bulletstorm is a GFWL game, you'll be ask to input the key when you log on to GFWL in game.

Gamersgate only uses it's own downloader to install your game (no client installation necessary)

IIRC you can back up the game installer but you have to jump a few hoops to get the decrypted files.

[quote name='BlockheadBrown']Where did the key work then? Does GamersGate have a separate client?[/QUOTE]

When I used it last, it gave me a link to a small exe file that when run downloaded the main game from D2D. It is it's own client technically, but it only runs when you download the game. After that it runs or you can run manually the setup program for the game.

I am tempted by the price, but unless I can register the game in EADM (or Origin I guess it's called now), or Steam I won't buy from GamersGate only because of my past experience of not being able to get the latest patch for their version of a game I bought from them because the publisher didn't issue one to them. So I am basically only buying now from GoG, D2D, and Steam. I might also buy from Origin since I have bought from EADM before and had no issues with patches (since that is direct from EA).

[quote name='BlockheadBrown']Where did the key work then? Does GamersGate have a separate client?[/QUOTE]

What was said above is true. There is a download executable that allows you to pause the download and restart it. It does download the installer so you can use it again or save it. The key is used when installing the game. It's worth noting it worked fine and installed.

[quote name='LurkerLito'] I won't buy from GamersGate only because of my past experience of not being able to get the latest patch for their version of a game I bought from them because the publisher didn't issue one to them.[/QUOTE]

Bulletstorm is GFWL, so it will patch from the title screen when connected to the interwebs. So no need to get patches from Gamersgate.

And to clarify, Gamersgate does not have a persistent client like Steam, Origin, Comrade, and Impulse.

[quote name='loomis1975']Bulletstorm is GFWL, so it will patch from the title screen when connected to the interwebs. So no need to get patches from Gamersgate.

And to clarify, Gamersgate does not have a persistent client like Steam, Origin, Comrade, and Impulse.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for this post!

[quote name='saxybeast418']survey2010 was an Impulse code; it NEVER worked on gamersgate :p

For the record, survey2010 appears to no longer work at impulse either. Seeing as how it was set to expire back in February, I've gotten decent millage out of that discount... or I would have, had impulse not started charging sales tax >_<

"Hey guys, let's compete with steam, but we'll offer crappier service with higher prices! We'll also try to sneak sales tax into our customers' orders! Aren't we clever?!?"

But yeah, this is an excellent deal. I'm jumping on it ^_^[/QUOTE]

My bad, I just woke up so apparently was not paying attention very well at all. The survey2010 code for IMPULSE did work a couple weeks ago. :)

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Bulletstorm is a blast.[/QUOTE]

ive had this game like 2 weeks (xbox) and i hadn't touched it was busy playing other stuff-threw it on last night to at least see it--ended up playing it for about 2 hours-and so far so good-

is the main characters wolverines voice??

I love how Steam has such a hold on the PC market to the point where there are many people who will pass up an amazing deal like $12 for Bulletstorm just because they can't register it on Steam. Who am I kidding though. I'm the same way, lol. I've already played it on 360. It's an amazing game though and very much underrated. It's the best single player FPS I've played since Bioshock.

Okay, an update. Download worked fine, game installed, but would not start up without saying "File is corrupted" when it tried to do the Zero Day Product check via Games for Windows Live. I looked this up and it was very common with Bulletstorm, so lots of people had already worked out what was going on. Apparently, there is a program file zdp.exe in your install directory that requires more permissions than the standard user. I ran that as administrator and the game executable as administrator and the game worked after that. Updating via GfWL and starting up, game plays afterward fine. Seems smoother, too, though it didn't let me get very far without updating.

I contacted EA Origin customer service to try and get the game attached to my Origin account as per this reference:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5309323.page#12650912

Just in case anyone else wants to give it a shot. I had no luck with the CS reps as they all were clueless. One of them told me Bulletstorm had no digital version. Another told me I needed to provide manual and key scanned image. I advised them of the post, but neither seemed willing to look into it beyond to see the key is in a different format than their typical key, which means they can't validate it in the typical way.

So I PM'ed one of the Origin developers--the guys suggesting contacting CS--to get more info. Kinda annoying that there isn't some consistency, but whatever. The Gamer's Gate way allows for an easy backup of the files.

I write this in case anyone else runs across these problems, maybe this will help. Origin's still got a long way to go before it has the awesome quality of the Steam "experience." Really kinda sad they have so much trouble getting a 2011 game to work with the platform.

[quote name='saxybeast418']survey2010 was an Impulse code; it NEVER worked on gamersgate :p

[/QUOTE]

Gamestop owns Impulse now. Is there a Gamestop near you? That's why they're charging sales tax.

And if there's one thing that state auditors hate more than not collecting their state sales tax, it's claiming that you're collecting a sales tax and then keeping the extra money. I'm pretty sure that Gamestop, with its many, many faults, isn't that stupid.

Bulletstorm is a great, but short game. I bought it during the EA sale last week and I beat it in two days and about 8 hours total of gameplay. That being said, it was fun from start to finish. I was never bored and had an absolute blast playing it.

The online seems to be dead. I have been unable to join an online game since I bought the game... I even try "quick match" to just pair me with any online game that is open. I still can't find one. So, if you only prefer multiplayer this game isn't for you.

The single player game totally rocks, though. Even if it is short. The replay value is quite high, too, as I find myself going back and playing some scenes over. I love the big plant boss fight and the fight on the dam near the gears. I replay those often. :)

[quote name='MysterD']It's pretty annoying you have to be online to actually install a game from Gamersgate.
Any way around that?[/QUOTE]

So, I'm pretty baffled by your comment--any chance you could clear something up for me? Here goes: you can't buy the game from GamerGate without the Internet; you can't download the game from GamesGate without the Internet; but, somehow, you don't have the Internet when it's time to install the game?

[quote name='mblackwl']Gamestop owns Impulse now. Is there a Gamestop near you? That's why they're charging sales tax.

And if there's one thing that state auditors hate more than not collecting their state sales tax, it's claiming that you're collecting a sales tax and then keeping the extra money. I'm pretty sure that Gamestop, with its many, many faults, isn't that stupid.[/QUOTE]

I've always paid sales tax when buying from Impulse. The reason being is that Stardock is based in Michigan and I live in Michigan. So I pay Michigan sales tax. I'm sure Steam is the same way with Washington sales tax.

[quote name='AwRy108']So, I'm pretty baffled by your comment--any chance you could clear something up for me? Here goes: you can't buy the game from GamerGate without the Internet; you can't download the game from GamesGate without the Internet; but, somehow, you don't have the Internet when it's time to install the game?[/QUOTE]

Really, Steam has the same requirement. At least you don't need a required client to play your game.

With it showing up for this price twice over in a short timeframe, I think I'm going to wait for the Steam summer say and see if it's on sale then. Seems like too many hoops to jump through with these other services.

Since it updates via GFWL this is not a bad deal anymore to me. Hmm... I got 3 hours to decide if I want it. Kind of on the fence.

This game is a whole lot better than I expected. It's like the traditional FPS on steroids.

Looks great too.

Honestly, the whole GFWL thing makes the game barely worth FIVE dollars on pc... I fucking hate that thing. I'll just get it for more on X360... not worth the hassle. I do not have enough middle fingers to express how much GFWL annoys me. Maybe its the old, crust PC gamer in me but I cannot abide by it.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']Honestly, the whole GFWL thing makes the game barely worth FIVE dollars on pc... I fucking hate that thing. I'll just get it for more on X360... not worth the hassle. I do not have enough middle fingers to express how much GFWL annoys me. Maybe its the old, crust PC gamer in me but I cannot abide by it.[/QUOTE]

u mad? I have GFWL and play halo 2, shadowrun and a couple of other games and have no problems at all but I have a newer computer. It's not their fault and your self admitting that you have an old crust pc shows IT'S YOUR FAULT. By the way, buying on 360 kinda sucks because the online part gets repetitive quickly so this is the right price though for the complete game.

On D2D they have other sales..60% off some games like mass effect 1 & 2, etc.

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=mass+effect

bread's done
Back