PC Games suggestions for someone with a new gaming laptop?

wageslave

CAGiversary!
My old Compaq laptop just died after giving me years of faithful service. I've always wanted a laptop with good specs and an actual video card, so I splurged a little bought myself an ASUS G51JX-A1 gaming laptop. It has a NVidia GTS 360M with 1GB VRAM which is quite a jump from intel integrated graphics. The only modern PC games I own are WOW, Torchlight, and Dragon Age Origins (borrowed). Can anyone suggest some games that I should try now that I actually have a computer capable of playing them? I'm a PC game newbie and would like to start out with some older (and cheaper) stuff, maybe like Doom 3 or Half Life 2? I'm also a fan of games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion which I already have for the PS3. Thanks in advance!

Sims 3? That only my suggestion because it's the only pc game I've personally wanted to play.

That and Starcraft 2, but the world will be over by the time it officially comes out

You defiantly want the orange box. Hell if you got $100 get the valve complete pack off steam. Also try the command and conquer the first decade pack, it's a crapload of classic games for $20.

There are quite a few games you can get from my 'Free And Legal List.'

I would check out:

First Person Shooters
Quake Live
Nexuiz
Alliance Of Valiant Arms
Doom 6666
Gore - Ultimate Solider
OpenArena

If you like Action/RPG games I would check out Avalanche it's a fan made sequel to FF7.

Megazell's Free And Legal PC Games

When you've got the cash I highly recommend getting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 which has to be the best game I've played in a while (multiplayer at least, didn't play much single player). If you tweak it right you can enjoy the game on high settings with that laptop.

As for older stuff Battlefield 2 isn't a bad choice (still my favorite PC title to date) :lol:. You can get that for about $5-$10 now I reckon though I bought the Deluxe Edition for $50 when it came out and have no regrets. Speaking of Steam is having a sale on all the older Quake titles so I'd check up on that. May have to get the 2nd one for $5 since I lost the CD.

Definitely The Orange Box. That many games in one package, for a small price? Insanity.

If your into multiplayer FPSs, TF2 will last you a very, very long time.

[quote name='wageslave']I'm a PC game newbie and would like to start out with some older (and cheaper) stuff...[/quote]
Oh, my. Let me just get my list...

[quote name='wageslave']... maybe like Doom 3 or Half Life 2?[/QUOTE]
Oh. Old like Doom 3. Uh... nevermind, then.

Do yourself a favor if u like torchlight or any of those loot games pick up dawn of war 2 Its one of the best games to come out last year. Its a mix between a loot game and an rts where u only ever control 4 units at a time. Its an amazing game

Mass Effect 2:D

Or if you want real pc gaming action how about some RTS's:

Company of Heroes
Dawn of War II
Empire or Medieval Total War

Quake 3 Arena.

--
sign31967.jpg

ZeldaSignature.png

pmsig_4.png

Crysis can be had for cheap if you shopped around. And yes, it can run on that laptop with EDIT: ALL of it's prettiness turned on (don't believe me? Download the non-optimized demo and prepare to be blown away, keeping in mind that the retail release is 100x prettier). I think the EA digital store still have that promotion going ($20 off a game or something), so you could get Mass Effect 2 fairly cheaply. Direct2Drive did a perma-price drop on The Witcher, which is another game if you're really into PC RPGs (and there's nothing wrong with that). Like scary FPSRPGs? Try the STALKER series, which would run nicely on that new laptop.

How about COD Modern Warfare (the first game), since last time I check they still had a fairly big online player population. If you want Doom 3 old, then you're really selling your hardware short. But if you insist, Unreal Tournament 2k4 is an excellent game from the era, and can be bought for under $20. Come to think of it, UT3 Black is $20 on Steam, but I never noticed alot of online players for that game.

How about a racing game? Burnout Paradise is an older title, but would really look pretty on that 15.6in screen of yours. Trackmania Nations Forever is a free game, and though I could run that game on an intel x3100, do yourself a favor and pick it up nonetheless.

Red Faction: Guerrilla, a good sandbox game for the PC, but you might have played this on the console already.

RTS? Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander 1, Command and Conquer 3 (or Red Alert 3), or even Dawn of War 2?

Dungeons and Dragon Online is Graphically taxing, but free to play MMO, and that's really cheap (as in, free). You could try "Demo-ing" Global Agenda, the MMO FPS RPG. No monthly cost for the basic, mmo-lite version, but I think the game itself retails at around $50 still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange Box for sure - It contains some of the best games ever created for PC - ever.

Bad company 2 is good
Both Mass effect games are spectacular. If you liked Dragon age, you'll like mass effect.

What genre of games are you into?

Thanks all. I think I'll start out with Mass Effect 2 and Dawn of War 2, then pick up the Orange box when I find it cheap or get bored with the above two games.

Get Borderlands. I just started playing it on PC so I could do a walkthrough video for YouTube. The game is incredibly addicting.

[quote name='RchrdJ']Get Borderlands. I just started playing it on PC so I could do a walkthrough video for YouTube. The game is incredibly addicting.[/QUOTE]
Tempting, but I don't know if I would like the graphic style plus I think I would prefer to play it on my PS3. Mass Effect 2 is 29.99 at the EA store so I am going to start with that.

Peggle Delux. Really, it's the number one game for laptops, no matter if they are for gaming or not. Take it anywhere you want, impress girls with it and reap the benefits. Well, at least it worked for me lol :p.

That said, probably Mass Effect 2 since I've just finished and yes, it's as awesome as everyone says. Even though I do love Dragon Age, I'm not sure it's a good game to play on a smaller screen.

Oh, don't forget Civilization IV. Always a classic with laptops if you are into turn-based strategy games.

Hmm... the 360 is a bit weak compared tot he PC counterpart, but you can still run most any game out today. Some, Like Bad Company 2 you will only be able to run on Medium/high'ish settings. But other than that, use everyone's opinion. or head over to Metacritic.com for a reasonable rating on how good a game is or not.

Make sure to pick up an Xbox 360 controller. Many Games for Windows branded titles have native support for the 360 joystick. Have fun...

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Red Faction: Guerrilla, a good sandbox game for the PC, but you might have played this on the console already. [/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, if you have a 64 bit operating system don't bother with this one... last I checked, it doesn't work unless you are running 32bit

[quote name='Sycowulf']Just a heads up, if you have a 64 bit operating system don't bother with this one... last I checked, it doesn't work unless you are running 32bit[/QUOTE]

Works fine on my 64bit :cool:

Cool thing about Windows 7 if its not compatible just roll it back to an earlier OS like XP or Vista

bread's done
Back