PC Gaming headset advice ?

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
Totally don't know anything whatsoever when it comes to picking out a quality gaming headset.

But definitely want something quality without getting ripped off, so any opinions on what headsets I could get are going to provide the best bang for my buck ?

Ive looked at A40s (which id MAYBEEE buy if I could maybe get the headset + amp for under 280~) and Turtle beach z6as, other than that really dont know jack.

Figured people on here would be able to give me the best advice possible :D

Also id strongly prefer something to be able to work on my 360/ps3 (ps3 is by farrrrrrrrrr the least important for it to be able work on tho)

Finally have no issue with wires, assuming its going to save me money/improve the quality

Thanks again !

Get a quality pair of Sennheisers (555's for example), then just get a Zalman clip mic. I wouldn't waste money on those expensive "gaming headsets", they're just a gimmick.

I have a Sennheiser cheapie headset (like 25 bucks) and it's the best headset I've ever owned. Also have Sennheiser wireless headphones are also the best phones I've ever had. Never really understood the deal with these obscenely expensive headsets.

Hmm 2 biggest questions.

The idea of buying a quality pair of normal headphones then just a cheap clip on mic, better value ?

And any idea when the new Astros come out, presumably killing the price of the old ones ? I was under the belief dec/jan they usually pop out ?

If you don't care about surround sound, then go with a quality pair of stereo headphones. Just depends on your budget, really. Again, the AX720 - very nice balance of price and performance. They are quite popular here on CAg as well. There have been TONS of topics in the forums about headphones. Good luck :)

[quote name='dcm1602']Hmm 2 biggest questions.

The idea of buying a quality pair of normal headphones then just a cheap clip on mic, better value ?

And any idea when the new Astros come out, presumably killing the price of the old ones ? I was under the belief dec/jan they usually pop out ?[/QUOTE]

These wont work with your consoles but the logitech g35 has worked great for my pc gaming for 2 years. The wireless variant is also good. 7.1 surround voice morph mic and three customizable g keys

[quote name='mrwogs2']If you don't care about surround sound, then go with a quality pair of stereo headphones. Just depends on your budget, really. Again, the AX720 - very nice balance of price and performance. They are quite popular here on CAg as well. There have been TONS of topics in the forums about headphones. Good luck :)[/QUOTE]

Alright think im gonna go with your opinion, but any idea the big difference between the ax720 and http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Dolby-S..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZWZEY4ZDM9520F93WFZ

Same brand and all that jazz, just a newer product... I think

I recently went through the process of getting a gaming headset and feel that I can offer an educated opinion on this matter. Ultimately, I ended up with the Sennheiser PC360 headset plus Astro mixamp 5.8. IMHO it's one of the best combinations available, albeit obviously at the upper end of the pricing bracket. I am very satisfied with the system, only being disappointed in one area: the PC360 cable is too long.

Let me explain though, I also bought the Astro Mixamp 5.8 because I wanted to be able to use my headset with my console. When I have my PC360 hooked up directly to my PC, the long cable is great. But when it's hooked up to my Mixamp, it is about 7 feet longer than it needs to be, and just creates a tripping hazard. I intend to mod my PC360s to allow for interchangeable cables of different lengths, so that I may have the optimal cord length in all situations.

Personally, the mixamp 5.8 is the best "wireless headset" solution out there, if you are interested in gaming console compatibility. It is a pretty high quality wireless transciever unit that you can use any headphones/headset with. The only other alternative I'd suggest is the Logitech G930s, which are PC-only but I have heard a number of people like them. They are nice since they are more "compact" than the PC360+mixamp.

I chose the PC360s because they have good sound quality (based on the same drivers as comparable Sennhsiser headphones), and also have excellent soundstage/imaging, which means they work very well with surround sound or surround sound processors like the mixamp, that use dolby headphone to simulate surround sound via headphones. The superior soundstage is critical since it allows better positioning of sounds in games, so if you play competitive FPS you can more easily hear where your enemies are, thus giving you an advantage, etc.

Before I bought the PC360s+Mixamp, I bought the Turtle Beach PX5/XP500s, which fulfilled a similar role, and a very convenient all-in-one package. However, I returned them because the build and sound quality was just not up to par with the price. There was audible hiss in the headphones as a result of the crappy amplifier, they rattled when you shook your head (loose plastic parts), and the sound quality was pretty mediocre. Although the PC360+mixamp route was even more expensive, the sound/build quality at least matches up with the price. There is zero hiss with this combo.

Anyhow, to summarize, IMHO the headphones that Astro makes are pretty subpar, and overpriced, just like all the other "big brand gaming headsets" out there (Turtle Beach, Tritton, SS, Razer, etc), they're all junk. However, the Astro mixamp when paired with a better headset is actually a very solid unit, and is a worthwhile purchase if you want wireless or console compatibility. If you are only interested in PC gaming, however, pick up a cheap sound card that does dolby headphone (such as the Asus Xonar series) which will do the same thing as the mixamp or tritton AX720 and get the PC360s, your money will be far better spent. When I use my PC360s with my PC, I use the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card since I don't have any extra expansion slots in my PC. It cost $40 from amazon and produces the same result as any standalone DH surround processor.

Here is a very worthwhile link to read. I highly suggest you look it over before making any decisions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...hone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

bread's done
Back