PC Powering up Issue

SeanAmI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
For some reason, my computer won't power on even though the motherboard shows it having power and the LEDs on the case light up. I tried changing power supplies and power outlets and the issue continues. I have also checked that everything is plugged in correctly. This leads me to believe either the motherboard or the processor is somehow bad. Do you guys have any ideas what the problem is?

What exactly do you mean by "won't power on?" Do you get any beeps?...anything?

Did you check the power on button connection to the mobo?

I'd unplug everything you can from the mobo (drive cables, expansion cards etc) so that you're just down to the power supply and video. Then see if it will power on. If it doesn't, swap power supply and video cards with known good ones and try again. If it still doesn't work, then it's probably something on the mobo and it's going to be a pain to figure out.

No beeps.
I checked the power button connection on the motherboard its plugged in correctly and even tried the power on button that is located on the motherboard.
I have tried unplugging everything except the processor and memory and it still will not start. If you read my post, I have already tried swapping the power supply. I have unplugged anything unecessary. I doubt the video card has anything to do with it as the computer should still boot at least without the card and give me an error. Plugging it in or taking it out did not help.
My motherboard is nforce 680i sli if that helps.

This is not a new build and had been working, when it randomly cut off and all the lights were still on (on the mobo and the leds).

It's still difficult to tell what could be causing the problem. Something general like that (no screen when powered on) could be either caused by the motherboard, video card, CPU, and RAM. Without having a 2nd set of parts to test with it's everybody's guess on what is the source of the problem. Some newer motherboards don't beep anymore to indicate what is wrong, unlike the old boards. I would at least obtain another CPU and video card to further test the setup.

Does your mobo have on-board video out to try and you sure it's not just the video output on your graphics card that is out (i.e. it's really booting you just can't display)? Another random thing that could cause problems is the on-board clock battery being dead (seen it before).

EDIT: You're gonna be an engineer aren't ya...don't you have access to a multimeter ;-)

Nah, Flesh I checked the on-board battery. I don't have onboard video, but I doubt thats the problem because the motherboard isn't even attempting to post.
They always give us the multimeters when we need to use 'em Flesh :p. I had one, but it probably got lost in the shuffle of moving.
The mobo also has no onboard error code display and does not beep to indicate error. When I attempt to turn it on the Northbridge is really freakin' hot so Im thinking maybe it burned out. No fans come on either when this occurs.

does the mobo have an led error code display, does sound like mobo problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to rebump this, but now this does not work again. Computer used to boot and now the computer powers on with all the fans and does not post and quickly the power cuts off and the fans turn back on and the computer fans just run without the computer posting. This sounds like the processor now right or could this be a RAM issue?

You need to give us details pertaining to the brand and model of motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply.

I'm trying to get your situation correct; after you replaced your old motherboard with a new one recently, your computer can boot up normally for a month, and now you're having trouble booting up as you described. I'm guessing that you did try to hook up another power supply already to test to see if you can get your computer to boot up now.

I doubt it is the processor or RAM. They don't normally affect the way the power supply cut off power to the entire system. If it's a bad CPU, you'll get no screen, if it's a bad RAM, you'll either get no screen or you get a lot of BSOD or restarts (without having the power supply being cut off and turn on again).

I'm just taking a wild guess right now that since your computer is experiencing a reoccurring problem with a new motherboard, it could be your power supply is unstable and frying the motherboard. A wild guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're PC is at least starting to post, you can rule out drives, ram, and most likely video. Basically you're down to motherboard, cpu, or power supply. So, as someone else noted, give specs of at least those 3 components. It would also be good to know what all your power supply is running - fans, usb ports (what peripherals), pci cards, etc.

At this point, with the current issue you're having (define further how far it gets in the POST process), I'd guess one of the following is happening

1) You've replaced the mobo which obviously required reseating everything. It's possible you're CPU fan/heatsink aren't properly seated and/or the heatsink doesn't have a good bond to the cpu. You could be overheating the cpu (which doesn't take long) and thats why the PC is powering off/rebooting. Check the cpu placement and heatsink. Are you using something like arctic silver to bond the heatsink and cpu?

2) If the CPU has overheated, depending on how many times or for an extended period of time, it could be permanently damaged at this point. Do you have another CPU you could test with?

3) The previous motherboard issues you had could have damaged another part - like the CPU. Again, do you have another CPU to swap out?

4) As SOSTrooper noted, your PSU may be faulty and the motherboard could be fried again. And that could have been the cause of your original issue resulting in the motherboard replacement. One of the 12v rails may be dead. The PSU may not be correctly supplying power resulting in over or under voltage for the components. Again, need to know the details from the power supply. Previously you said you had another power supply you swapped out? What are the specs of that power supply? Not only the overall wattage, but specs from the 3v, 5v, and 12v outputs.

Sorry to hear you're having issues but with some more details we should be able to help you out. Good luck!

1) I have tried reseating everything and reapplying thermal gel to the processor. Yes Im using arctic silver.

2) No I do not have another cpu to test and I believe the cpu has overheated.

4) Replaced the PSU with three different ones same results.

The PC booted correctly for a day until it shut off and these new symptoms started. I think the processor overheated and broke.

Computer does not post at all.

CPU is E6600
RAM is 2x Crucial 1GB DDR2-800
PSU is an Antec 850W power supply that lets me choose what outputs I want to have original was a 500W unknown brand another one 600W unknown.
Video card is a evga 8800 gts
PUS is also giving power to processor fan, mobo, vid card, 2 dvd drives, one hard drive, and 2 case fans.

Hard to say. Motherboard, CPU, or video card are the most likely culprits. PSU is also possible.

Check the power supply with a multimeter.
Try a cheap pci video card to eliminate a video card problem.
Swap processors to eliminate CPU. Modern Intel processors have overheat protection, so it would be unlikely.
Investigate the motherboard for any physical damage: discolored chips, bulging capacitors. Ensure there are no shorts.

I'd suspect a dead motherboard again...

I also need to mention that it started to boot and then crash after a few minutes before the total failure as it is now. The CPU was very hot so I got a better cpu fan and reapplied the thermal paste after it started and it did nothing to help.

2) No I do not have another cpu to test and I believe the cpu has overheated.

If you feel that your CPU is giving you the problems, I would suggest you to obtain another CPU to test out your system. Otherwise, we're all speculating at this point.

Sorry to rebump this, but now this does not work again. Computer used to boot and now the computer powers on with all the fans and does not post and quickly the power cuts off and the fans turn back on and the computer fans just run without the computer posting.

The PC booted correctly for a day until it shut off and these new symptoms started. I think the processor overheated and broke.

I also need to mention that it started to boot and then crash after a few minutes before the total failure as it is now. The CPU was very hot so I got a better cpu fan and reapplied the thermal paste after it started and it did nothing to help.

You're not being completely clear with your situation here. You replaced your motherboard last month, and posted on Oct 31 saying your computer worked fine again. And then now you said the computer worked fine for "a" day and new symptoms started appearing. Has the computer with the newly replaced motherboard work in the past 4 weeks without problems until yesterday? Was yesterday the first day you started getting problems with computer not being able to boot up? Sorry these are a bit of nitpicking questions that you should have come clear in one comprehensive post. We can't all spend too much of our time trying to understand and piece your puzzles together. We do our best but you need to be more clear of your situation.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']If you feel that your CPU is giving you the problems, I would suggest you to obtain another CPU to test out your system. Otherwise, we're all speculating at this point.

You're not being completely clear with your situation here. You replaced your motherboard last month, and posted on Oct 31 saying your computer worked fine again. And then now you said the computer worked fine for "a" day and new symptoms started appearing. Has the computer with the newly replaced motherboard work in the past 4 weeks without problems until yesterday? Was yesterday the first day you started getting problems with computer not being able to boot up? Sorry these are a bit of nitpicking questions that you should have come clear in one comprehensive post. We can't all spend too much of our time trying to understand and piece your puzzles together. We do our best but you need to be more clear of your situation.[/QUOTE]

No, after the 31st if stopped working the next day, but I did not have the ability to get parts to fix it until now.

I really would suggest obtaining another CPU and/or motherboard to test the system out. You're in a tricky situation because it is a reoccurring as well as a non-straight forward problem. Also I would suggest using another power supply to do any further testing you may perform; in other words, don't use the current power supply in your system at all in the future UNTIL you know the real source of the problem. Since you have 2 other power supplies lying around I think you should be ok.

Remember, when dealing with computer problems like this, don't try to find out what is causing the problem, but rather, find out what is NOT causing the problem. This is a process of elimination, and soon enough you'll narrow yourself down to the source.

Thanks, either power supply results in the same problems now so I don't believe thats it, but you never know.

Ill let you know what happens.

My hunch turned out to be correct as the processor was the problem. Although the first motherboard is toast as well.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this is the end of my problems for awhile.

bread's done
Back