PC Upgrade help please.

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey all, I am looking to upgrade my PC some. I definitely need more memory. I'm not sure which memory would be compatible with the memory I have on my mobo. I'll post my hardware below. I have 6GB of RAM. I'd like to add to that and have 12GB total. Suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58

Existing memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel 

Also, would a PCI-E 3.0 graphics card work with this mobo? The specs say it accepts PCI-E 2.0 Thanks again!

Edit: Another option I just thought of. I have another PC. I could take the memory from one of my PCs and put it in the other and then buy 12GB of all new sticks for the first. I'll link the memory from my other PC below. Would it be compatible with the above memory? I could do that and then buy 12GB for the above PC. What do you guys think would be best?

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have an easier time just heading over to crucial.com and scanning your PC. They'll give you some options as to how you can upgrade and tell you exactly what type and how much RAM your MOBO can take. Then you can use that info to compare different brands for the best deal. Someone on here might be able to give you a better suggestion, but that seems the quickest way.

Why though, might I ask, do you feel you need 12GB? For most this would way overkill and most wouldn't even notice a difference. I'd suggest if you haven't already, to open task manager and see if your current RAM is actually being used up. More likely it's your CPU and/or GPU bottlenecking you, but this is purely speculation. For the average user 4-8GBs is more than enough :)

A PCIe graphics card would work fine in your motherboard. Somewhat reduced speeds but unless you are paying a couple grand, you won't notice. :D/

You show go with a matching set of ram especially considering the ram that you currently own has slightly different timings. The max for your mobo is 24gb so 3x 8gb sticks.

This is the ram I would recommend.

Good luck!

bread's done
Back