Pedro=class?

Lootr2Core

CAGiversary!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/17/pedro.redsox.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (AP) -- Pedro Martinez says he told Red Sox management he didn't want to be in the shadow of fellow ace Curt Schilling. He also hopes his new team, the New York Mets, will sign his former Boston battery-mate, Jason Varitek.

In an interview with the Boston Herald, Martinez criticized the negotiating tactics of Red Sox officials, saying he repeatedly got mixed signals from team president Larry Lucchino, owner John Henry and General Manager Theo Epstein, whom he called "arrogant."

Martinez signed a four-year, $53 million contract with the Mets this week. He said he left the Red Sox after seven years partly because he didn't want to be second in the starting rotation behind Schilling, who was acquired last offseason and helped lead the team to its first World Series championship in 86 years.

"I told [Henry], 'You want to sign me, get it done. Please force them to get it done. I'm willing to stay here. Negotiate with them. I just don't want to be under Schilling," Martinez said.

He also said he deserved a better deal than Schilling.

"Schilling is 38, I'm only 33," he said. "The fact that I had an off-year doesn't mean that I can be below Schilling. Still, with an off-year, I'm way over Schilling as a pitcher and I've pitched pretty much like Schilling the last few years, if you're going to talk about durability."

Red Sox officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Asked what other free agents he thought Boston would sign, Martinez said "they'll be stupid not to do Varitek. Varitek is the next one gone. Theo's going to have the biggest problem with him."

Epstein has said signing Varitek is one of his offseason priorities. The catcher is reportedly seeking a five-year contract worth more than $50 million, with a no-trade clause.

"I hope he is gone," Martinez said of Varitek. "I hope 'Tek is on my team."

Asked whether that meant he wanted to get rid of current Mets catcher Mike Piazza, Martinez said, "I do want Piazza, too. Piazza is a good hitter. We can move him to first or somewhere. ... I want 'Tek. 'Tek is a good player, a good catcher."

He also said Epstein and Lucchino "weren't getting along in negotiations. Lucchino would say one thing and Theo would show up with another."

He said Epstein treated his agent, Fernando Cuza, poorly during negotiations.

"Theo got really arrogant on Fernando and I didn't appreciate it," Martinez said. "Theo believed that he had me and wasn't the nicest man communicating with Fernando."

He said Red Sox manager Terry Francona played a small role in managing the team, taking his cues from the team's front office.

"Francona is subject to what they decide," Martinez said. "Francona had no say, like he didn't have any say in managing the team. He was manipulated from upstairs."

Asked for evidence to back that assertion, he said, "I was in the clubhouse, that's how I know."

• Check out more top stories on SI.com.

That's funny....Pedro calling anyone arrogant. I think that he is an arrogant ass....a great pitcher, but an ass.

I'm moving close to Boston soon and now I won't have to be ashamed to occasionally root for them. They got rid of the ass, so it'll be okay.

Theo Epstien might be arrogant, but as the youngest GM in baseball, why not? He's the youngest and they won a WS for the first time since 1918 (I think). Life's good for him right now.

Why does Pedro's personality matter? Eagles fans love TO and he's a giant ass too. Who cares as long as they produce on the field.

EDIT: He is an ass but at least he gives to his home country where he is considered a hero.

Respect is supposedly important to Pedro, but respect for him only goes one way. He doesn't show respect to almost anyone.

He said at his Mets press conference, right next to Omar Minaya, that his first choice was St Louis if he couldn't get a deal done with Boston.

We love Pedro in Boston but we've been tired of his shit for years. He's always had special treatment. His father's birthday is like a roving holiday.

[quote name='dafoomie']Respect is supposedly important to Pedro, but respect for him only goes one way. He doesn't show respect to almost anyone.

He said at his Mets press conference, right next to Omar Minaya, that his first choice was St Louis if he couldn't get a deal done with Boston.

We love Pedro in Boston but we've been tired of his shit for years. He's always had special treatment. His father's birthday is like a roving holiday.[/quote]

Not to hijack the thread but is that the NFL office address in your sig? I can walk there from where I work. Maybe I'll stop by one day to "complain" as I kick some ass...

Oh yeah, let's be honest - are the Mets anyone's first choice to play for?

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='dafoomie']Respect is supposedly important to Pedro, but respect for him only goes one way. He doesn't show respect to almost anyone.

We love Pedro in Boston but we've been tired of his shit for years. He's always had special treatment. His father's birthday is like a roving holiday.[/quote]

Not to hijack the thread but is that the NFL office address in your sig? I can walk there from where I work. Maybe I'll stop by one day to "complain" as I kick some ass...

Oh yeah, let's be honest - are the Mets anyone's first choice to play for?[/quote]
Yeah, thats the NFL office.

And the Mets are the first place every player thats past their prime looks to get overpaid from.

[quote name='dafoomie']And the Mets are the first place every player thats past their prime looks o get overpaid from.[/quote]

So true... god I hate being a Mets fan. Here's a short list off the top of my head... Frank Viola, Roberto Alomar, George Foster, Ricky Henderson, Orel Hershiser, Dave Kingman, Willie Randolph, Joe Torre, Mo Vaughn, Bobby Bonilla, etc. All these players had good to great careers and came to the Mets to do nothing and die.

[quote name='roland13x']The Mets have now replaced Tampa Bay and the Yankees as the dumbest team in baseball. Dodgers are catching up though![/quote]

Hey know as a Dodgers fan I take offense to that.
After yesterday they are the dumbest fucking franchise in sports.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='dafoomie']And the Mets are the first place every player thats past their prime looks o get overpaid from.[/quote]

So true... god I hate being a Mets fan. Here's a short list off the top of my head... Frank Viola, Roberto Alomar, George Foster, Ricky Henderson, Orel Hershiser, Dave Kingman, Willie Randolph, Joe Torre, Mo Vaughn, Bobby Bonilla, etc. All these players had good to great careers and came to the Mets to do nothing and die.[/quote]
Bret Saberhagen, Willie Mays...

And they traded away Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver.

[quote name='roland13x']The Mets have now replaced Tampa Bay and the Yankees as the dumbest team in baseball. Dodgers are catching up though![/quote]

You kidding me?! The Dodgers have been atop that list for a decade!

bread's done
Back